Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

I haven't used the new Nirvash enough to really get a feel for it,having been finishing off my Setsuko playthrough on Z1, but I don't think New Nirvash holds a candle to Old Nirvash, let alone New vs Old Holland.

Granted, my playthrough currently has Old Nirvash ripping through entire squads in one or two attacks inbetween wiping out half the enemy force with Seventh Swell, so it's a high bar to top, but I just can't get into the new Eureka 7 units - particularly when there's all these other shows with units with brand-spanking new animations and fewer unfavorable comparisons to the last game.

New Nirvash is a piece of poo poo. Even without the insane MAP weapon craziness you can pull in Z1 it's just inferior. I'll have some words on it. The new Nirvash's only saving grace is getting its upgrade relatively early, and even then it's not particularly good. It's not just the Nirvash either, I'd put every single Eureka 7 movie unit below their TV incarnation from Z1. In fact the cross-the-board nerfs makes me seriously consider that Banpresto themselves hated that lovely movie and wanted to discourage people from using those units.

Also the music from the movie is poo poo, and considering that Eureka 7 TV had an amazing soundtrack and a strong focus on music that's unforgivable.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I hope by the time you get to the Dark Continent you'll use Musashi a bit. He always seems to get the short end of the stick in the scant few SRW games he actually shows up in, and Armageddon's version/Z2-1's version is just so badass. But mostly you gotta show off that Daisetsuzan Oroshi. :allears:

I think Getter 3 was actually pretty well utilized in SRW NEO. They mostly did away with terrain stats so the 3 getter forms were based on what they could do. Getter 1 was fragile and energy intensive but obliterated everything and could fly, Getter 2 had the most movement and mobility and had a charging attack but was weak, and Getter 3 got you good counter-attack moves and heavy armor so it could be used as a tank. Also since they used New Getter Robo you got to use my favorite version of Getter 3, I've never liked the old-school tank treads look but the New Getter version is a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I guess nobody really took to the Gekko. I understand. Let's move onto the new adventure.

Now that we have a real army, note that the intermission screen has taken to warning us how many units we will be able to choose to deploy in the upcoming stage. This time, it offers us 12, but we have two too many! Someone is going to have to stay behind.

Sumeragi is introducing the Ptolemaios crew to the Crushers as they fly towards their destination. They're surprised to find that the infamous Celestial Being is just a handful of people, but don't forget about all their agents, spies, and supporters, a network so big even Sumeragi doesn't know them all. Shirota, the Crushers' tactical commander, seems cordial with Sumeragi, but the staffers can see the invisible sparks flying between them.

A text scroll re-summarizes that the Dark Continent is a landmass just off Africa that was made impassable by a powerful dimensional distortion, but has now opened up. In his capacity as head of the World Peacekeeping Council, Elgan Roddick has sent our team to investigate it. "He knew... that a war was about to begin there." (I do love how all of these end with one ominous line.)

In the dark, a boy muses. "My job is to dig, day in and day out. Digging is how the village expands. If I do it well, the elder will give me pigmole steak. But I'm not digging just for the steak."

"I dig for treasure."

The Dark Continent itself.

The Dark Continent is a deadly place where everyone lives underground and the only way to expand is to dig. Simon is a shy young boy living in the village of Jeeha, and he's down because the girls don't like him because he's a nasty dirty digger. Fortunately, his "bro" ("But we're not brothers." "We're not blood related! But we're brothers in our souls!") Kamina is always there to pick him up. His goal is to break through the stone sky of the village and see the surface, and he needs Simon to help him. He knows just how to encourage the kid, too.

Simon! Your drill doesn't belong to the elder! It belongs to you! Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens! :kamina:
What does that mean?
I dunno, but I know it!
That doesn't help.
Don't care! We're the Gurren Gang and nobody's gonna stop us!

Simon has something to show Kamina, but the Elder wants to keep Kamina's bad influence away from his digger. He doesn't believe in the surface world, either, and doesn't want Kamina spreading his lies about an open blue sky beyond the roof.

And we find out what Kamina's so worked up about. His dad took him to the surface once and came back with stories, which the elder wrote off as the ramblings of a crazy man. That father's attempts to get back up rewarded him with death by falling rocks. The Elder affirms his faith in the traditions of the village, that only the village matters and the outside is heresy. He wants to have Kamina locked away in the village jail without food for his foolishness and reminds Simon that the village needs him to stay focused on digging.

But first, a huge earthquake rocks the village. Simon urges Kamina to get to safety, but Kamina insists that neither of them is going to die. Not until they see the surface world!

Then the village shakes even harder, and a huge head falls through the roof...

Chapter 10: Pierce the Heavens With Your Drill!
(Dark Continent route)

A robot with a huge face falls into the village.

Far from being frightened, Kamina is delighted that this is proof that the surface really exists. He ditches the terrified Simon and gibbering elder to go "say hello."

:kamina:: Hey! Hey hey hey! You got a lotta nerve, dropping into our village with that bigass face of yours! You're gonna have to answer to me!

The face talks! But mostly it sounds confused, and maybe piteous.

:kamina:: Hey hey hey! I know you can hear me with those bigass ears of yours, so listen up! The Gurren Gang is feared through all of Jeeha! And this is the unbeatable, immortal Chief Badass with the roaring manly spirit - His Awesomeness Kamina!

The face just laughs at the tiny, puny human and attacks.

Just then, a girl yells at him to get back, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKts659F31Q

Both boys are shocked to see a girl from the surfact, but there's no time to marvel.

The face starts going nuts again. She urges them to get behind her, but Kamina is fascinated by her weapon and the fact that she's from the surface - also, her tits - and offers to lend her a hand.

It comes out that she's actually from underground too, the next village over in fact.

Once Kamina realizes she's not actually from the surface, he changes his tune. "Move your giant butt!" Simon interrupts their fight by offering a place to run to - a giant face, what the girl calls a "Ganmen." The intruder is one of those, too.

It gets mad again because it can't find its prey. Simon shows Kamina the huge face he found and offers it, but Kamina tells Simon to use it instead because he's the one who dug it up. Simon insists that it's impossible for him.
:kamina:: What's wrong with you? Go beyond the impossible! Kick reason to the curb! That's how we roll in the Gurren Gang! Believe in yourself! Believe in me! Believe in me believing in you!

It makes no sense, but it seems to inspire Simon. Kamina somehow figures out that the drill Simon found is the key to the Ganmen. He sticks it in...

and the robot activates!

As the enemy sees them and charges in, Simon's machine slams it away. Out of nowhere, Kamina names the machine "Lagann" and encourages Simon to use it to kick the thing's rear end!

And the battle begins!

Lagann (Simon)
Skills
Spiral Power L2
Prevail L6
Break Will Limit
Spirits
Gain
Guts
Traits
Spiral Drive
Weapons
Hit (10 EN)
Lagann Impact (20 EN, 110 Will, pierce barrier)
Ace Bonus: Deploys with +30 Will.

Simon's Ace Bonus is hilarigood. When he deploys, he gets what is essentially a 30% boost in attack, defense, and everything else, automatically has Guard, Predict, Chain Actions, and so on if he's learned any of them, can use pretty much all his weapons, and automatically activates the Lagann's Spiral Drive. (Not to keep talking about Restoration, but it has a series of items that pile buffs on at 130 Will which, with Simon, are positively cheating.)

By itself, Spiral Power increases hit rate and reduces incoming damage automatically. Paired with a robot that can use it like the Lagann, it also amplifies outgoing damage and regenerates HP at 10% max per turn, once the pilot is at 130 Will. Which, again, Simon is always.

Lagann is also pretty goddamn tough, and Simon's natural Prevail will only make it more tenacious. Also, like Getter-2, it can burrow underground.

:kamina:

Lagann may be unupgraded, sure, but Simon's intense Ace-based motivation and Prevail should pull it through.

Go get 'im, Simon! Get right in there and hit him right in that bigass face!
Are you stupid? He's way bigger than us! Get around and use your agility!
Shut your yap! That's no way for a man to fight!
But I'm a woman!
Then let us men fight our way!
I'm right here and I'm fighting too!
That's what I wanna hear! I like you, lady!
W-what do I do, bro?
That's up to you now!
What?!
I told you to believe in me believing in you! You can do it, Simon!
Uh, okay!

It's hosed.

But I want to finish it with Gain so Simon gets free experience.

Kamina and Simon are pretty pleased with themselves. Well, Kamina is pleased with Simon.

But the enemy takes off - back up towards the surface!

Kamina yells to follow him, and drops the title - "Go, Simon! Pierce the heavens with your drill!"

Simon drills right through the enemy and emerges on the surface!

The three finally introduce themselves - the new girl is Yoko.

Also, they have a pigmole passenger named Boota.

But before they can get comfortable, an army of Ganmen attacks!

Simon freaks out and starts driving back to the village, but Kamina pops the top and threatens to leap out.

For his trouble, the Ganmen open fire. This doesn't deter Kamina, who keeps berating Simon not to keep running away. "We're finally out! Now's the time to get rid of all you were before! You're not gonna get another chance!"

SR Point involves wiping out all the enemy Ganmen in four turns!

Fortunately, Lagann is repaired and Simon is back up to full SP too.

Unfortunately, it's plainly outnumbered.

Simon might have had the right idea. Flee!

For the most part, they give chase. The three red ones in the back stay, though.

At the beginning of the next turn, Simon's in trouble and seriously frightened.

Fortunately, the Ptolemy is here!

The trio has never seen an airship before. For our team, this is also their first encounter with Ganmen.

The opposing army opens fire on the Ptolemy. Feldt tries to call a cease fire, but the Ganmen refuse and continue attacking. Shirota and Sumeragi call for a sortie!

From here, we can make any last-minute upgrades (not to ships or event units, though!) and choose our army.

We're going to need fast strikers to hit all those Ganmen in the next three turns.

In fact, sorting by movement, this pretty much puts Aphrodite and Dai-Guard in last place. But don't forget the slow Virtue and the skirmish-unfriendly Shuttle. At least Dai-Guard has a single use of Accel.

Now we can rearrange the units freely within the given spots. With this, we have fast units that can rush through the enemy line and a a second line that can sweep up the grunts.

Kouji is surprised to be in a fight right out of the gate. Ryoma is glad he has something to do. Kenji is worried about the situation. But everyone can agree that it's time for business. Simon is thankful for help, but Kamina thinks it's super unmanly.

So now in addition to Lagann not being allowed to die, we also have a mothership to take care of.

To begin with, I'll use the ranged guys in the back.

These ones are stronger than the one that fell into Jeeha.

Did that furball just say "Gundam"?

These guys do not have range.

First blood.

Next, we'll send Aoi and Allelujah down to deal with the first boss Ganmen.

Hayato for the second.

The beastmen react differently to larger and smaller units. This one taunts Getter-2 for being a big lug.

Kouji, who can accelerate, goes out too.

Should let Simon do some things.

We should get out of here while those guys take care of this, bro.
We don't need anyone to help us! You know who's going to help you? Me and you!
I don't know what that means!
Just remember this, Simon! I'll be there to help you! So you'd better help me help you!
Bro?
That's how our Gurren Gang rolls! C'mon, Simon!
Okay!

Hard head.

Crowe's Skill is getting outdated...

And here I was thinking there's no money in exploration.
Looks like I'll be getting some real exclusive combat data. Not that it'll be a stroll in the park.

Ow.

Gaia's low mobile range is an eternal annoyance.

Finally, Trider.

The enemy round is uneventful. Being able to deploy marks a milestone in the growth of this army, and that also heralds the coming of long phases where tens of units do nothing particularly interesting (you've seen something like that in the Area 11 split with the swarms of Enforcers). So what this means is I'm going to have to stop showing every unit's action - probably on both sides. In exchange, the events are going to pile on and the enemy units will get more varied over time, so I'll stop and show off whenever anything interesting happens or there's something to say. And obviously chatter and important events are still going to be big parts of the experience. I just want to avoid a lot of "and then a bunch of things deal damage and die" static before it gets bad.

Here's the main thing that happened this turn: after all the grunts go, the leader Ganza Ganmen in the back finally start approaching.

They're fairly tough, but not as bad as, say, the Damons.

With easily a turn to spare, we're down to a handful of thugs (a couple attacks each, I'd say) and the Ganza.

Tieria weakens an enemy Ganmen...

for the improved, newly themed Lagann Impact!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZkH8-iuPo
So basically, drills.

Another weakening for another video. Because we have some Getter-3 fans in the house and you know what? I've got the time/turns to spare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWbUMMXBFc
I'll get Getter-2 in there sometime!

Kouji doesn't even need to move.

"I'll let you off this time."

Perpetually behind in levels, Akagi and Watta take kills.

Soon, it's only Ganza left.

Dancouga, which can finally be, um, Dancouga, takes out the first Ganza.

Sayaka spots a creature running away from the wreck!

This is everyone's first sight of the Ganmens' pilots, and they're ugly little hairballs which the crew decide to call beastmen. Just another mystery of this weird place.

This should end both Ganza in the counter round.

Long story short: it does.

Simon and Yoko are thankful for our help, but Kamina still wanted to take care of it himself.

Our forces still don't know what to make of the Beastmen, Lagann, or the humans coming in from the east. Wait, what?

Their names are Dayakka and Leeron and they certainly know Yoko at least. They're from her village, Litna, but it was accidentally flooded with poison gas, so they had to evacuate and come to the surface. Seems like there are a lot of introductions to go around.

10 PP, but no snacks! Because the shuttle was left behind.

Everyone is debriefing near where Jeeha was. The exploration team introduces itself to Dayakka, and he fills us in on the situation here on the Dark Continent. The surface is ruled by the beastmen and their Ganmen, and the humans are forced to live underground. He corrects Sumeragi's referring to the situation as a fight - the beastmen hunt humans that dare come to the surface. Fortunately, Litna had weapons from the distant past and they've been defending themselves with those.

(Sumeragi can't figure out whether to call Leeron Mr. or Ms.)

The beastmen refuse to talk about anything other than killing all humans, so there seems to be no hope of a peaceful settlement. As for Lagann, it's as new to Leeron as anyone else. We came as explorers, but figuring out what's going on could take a while. Sumeragi and Dayakka make an alliance, exchanging knowledge for power.

Speaking of knowledge, Kamina wants Leeron's help. Leeron's willing and, ah, "interested." No, not in Kamina, but in Lagann and its pilot. Unlike Sumeragi, Simon goes ahead and asks Leeron straight, but s/he just smiles and replies, "I'm like a boy and like a girl, too."

But Kamina has business to get down to. He wants Leeron to help him fix up a Ganmen from some of the salvage lying around the battlefield. Leeron agrees...

but Sumeragi wants to talk to Kamina first, and Kamina likes what he sees - a real live surface woman this time, "and what'd I tell you, drat hot!" Sumeragi tries not to be bothered by this, because we really do need Kamina's help, and that makes him extremely happy.

Then let me introduce myself! Crack your ears open and listen up!
Bro, wait!
Sit down, Simon! A man helps those in need, don't you know!
Hey hey hey! Attention, friends from distant lands!
The Gurren Gang is feared through all of Jeeha! And this is the unbeatable, immortal Chief Badass and his Little Bro with the roaring manly spirits...
His Awesomeness Kamina and His Braveness Simon! You can rest easy with us here!

He's going to be like this for a while.

We've gained Lagann, who will autodeploy next chapter (note the EV, for Event). Other than Lagann and the Ptolemy, we still have twelve slots for next mission and fourteen available units. Which two will be left behind? I'd like to take Dai-Guard for secret reasons and Getter-2 because drills :kamina:.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Could we get a unit list in english? With all the splits I can't remember who we've got right now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ardeem posted:

Could we get a unit list in english? With all the splits I can't remember who we've got right now.

Yes. Right now, we've got
  • Ptolemaios (ship)
  • Lagann (event)
  • Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle
  • Getter-1/2/3
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Brasta

Of the bottom 14, two are staying out. Ships are separate and EV units are automatic.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Let's drop the Shuttle and Aphrodite A, because I doubt they have any interesting lines to offer and have had enough love in this continuity.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^I second this motion. Drop Trider too, if we need more space, since it bores me.

Just :kamina:.

Also, I get why Votoms and Britannian mooks have unique dialogue for Gundams, being incorporated into 00's 3 Great Nations and all, but I have no bloody clue why Beastmen like to talk about them. Not that I mind the Z2 staff continuing to have fun with the worldbuilding, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Yes. Right now, we've got
  • Ptolemaios (ship)
  • Lagann (event)
  • Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle
  • Getter-1/2/3
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Brasta

Of the bottom 14, two are staying out. Ships are separate and EV units are automatic.

Drop Nova Eagle (because gently caress Dancougar Nova) and Aphrodite A.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I'm gonna go against the crowd and say ditch Kyrios and then jump on the Aphrodite A bandwagon.

Also heck yeah Gurren Lagann. It is so unbelievably broken, it wasn't quite W-Gaogaigar broken, but few things are. It did wreck poo poo fairly awesomely though.

Simon has worse stats than Kamina if I remember right, but I used him exclusively because I knew what was going to happen later on.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say ditch Kyrios and then jump on the Aphrodite A bandwagon.

Also heck yeah Gurren Lagann. It is so unbelievably broken, it wasn't quite W-Gaogaigar broken, but few things are. It did wreck poo poo fairly awesomely though.

Simon has worse stats than Kamina if I remember right, but I used him exclusively because I knew what was going to happen later on.

I'll go with this, the Shuttle is a better refueler, and the Ptolemaios can do repairs.

And when I first played the game, i knew TTGL was in it. Didn't stop me from getting totally pumped when it first showed up at last, they have some of the best stages.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HiKaizer posted:

Simon has worse stats than Kamina if I remember right
Yeah, Kamina generally has about 10 points over Simon in all areas at the moment.

Also, drop Virtue and Aphrodite A, because Kyrios is actually pretty good and I like Trider purely because of the combo attack it gets with Zambot 3 later on. WHAT SHOULD WE DO? I DUNNO JUST JUGGLE REALLY FAST.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

^I second this motion. Drop Trider too, if we need more space, since it bores me.

Just :kamina:.

Also, I get why Votoms and Britannian mooks have unique dialogue for Gundams, being incorporated into 00's 3 Great Nations and all, but I have no bloody clue why Beastmen like to talk about them. Not that I mind the Z2 staff continuing to have fun with the worldbuilding, but still.

What makes it even better is that they shouldn't even know what a Gundam is, since the Dark Continent has been separate from the rest of the world until just now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TK-31 posted:

What makes it even better is that they shouldn't even know what a Gundam is, since the Dark Continent has been separate from the rest of the world until just now.

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on there. My guess was that since they do know about Gundams eventually, they have generic chatter for them and those lines weren't removed from this stage because it's generic? But I'm not sure what specifically beastman grunts would have against Gundams even then, so... :confused:

Simon has special chatter for this stage though - there are a couple bits in his battle chatter pool specifically because Kamina and Yoko are inside Lagann. (I tried to make sure one was in the video. It took a surprising amount of reloading.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I get why Votoms and Britannian mooks have unique dialogue for Gundams, being incorporated into 00's 3 Great Nations and all, but I have no bloody clue why Beastmen like to talk about them.

Considering that they referred to robots and rifles as weapons "of the ancient past," I'd imagine that the Dark Continent is from the future.

If Z1 didn't already happen, it would also fit in with the plot to Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, and Gundam X.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TK-31 posted:

I blame their boss. I would not be surprised in the least if he knew what a Gundam was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enemy grunts getting Gundam-specific battle cries is actually one of the most common things. The reason why is pretty simple. It gives them special battle cries against multiple series with no effort. When a Beastman shouts "It's a GUNDAM" they can do it against any Gundam series.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

TK-31 posted:

caphi posted:

Graham notices the word GUNDAM carved into Exia's head.

It says it right on its head.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Enemy grunts getting Gundam-specific battle cries is actually one of the most common things. The reason why is pretty simple. It gives them special battle cries against multiple series with no effort. When a Beastman shouts "It's a GUNDAM" they can do it against any Gundam series.

Basically this. It doesn't really mean anything. Well I'm fairly sure the leader of the Beastmen knows about Gundams considering the cosmology of the Z series, and the Celestial Being Gundams have "GUNDAM" written on them, but in reality it's just they never said "Don't use this line on this stage" in the code for the Beastman voice clips.

As for Spiral Power it's actually more complicated than simply giving flat bonuses like Mazinpower as its tied into the Pilot ability level. At 130 morale Spiral Power activates and grants HP Regen (S) and a final accuracy bonus and Reduction to damage taken based on the Pilot's Spiral Power. These are flat, Simon's Spiral Power of 2 (max of 5) grants him 4% to his final accuracy and he takes 3% less damage. At Spiral Level 5 Simon would get a 10% boost to final accuracy and take 8% less damage. Spiral Power also increases damage starting at 130 Morale but it's complicated.

The increased damage caps at doing 5%*Spiral Power level increased damage, and starts at 10% increased damage at 130 morale and the bonus increases by 5% for every 10 morale. Thus once he reaches Spiral Level 3 Simon will deal 15% extra damage once he reaches 140 Morale, with level 4 Simon will deal 20% more at 150 morale, and finally at level 5 Simon will deal 25% extra damage at 160 Morale. Yes, to get the maximum bonus from Spiral Power you need Break Morale Limit, but Simon starts with that and all the other Spiral Power users can reach the max level in Spiral Power only if they reach level 99 so it's almost always a moot point.

tl;dr: Spiral Power boosts Simon significantly as his morale raises, and the boosts get higher as he gets higher Morale and higher Spiral Power.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Caphi posted:

Another weakening for another video. Because we have some Getter-3 fans in the house and you know what? I've got the time/turns to spare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWbUMMXBFc

Hell yeah :c00lbert:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Shut up, Trider rules :bahgawd:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Beastmen have A LOT of unique dialogue for almost everything in the game. It's like the voice actor for them was just having a field day and wanted to record a shitload of stuff that all got in somehow. In fact, I'd say they have the most dialogue for grunt units I've ever heard in any SRW game, and most cross-series referencing.

Broken Loose posted:

Considering that they referred to robots and rifles as weapons "of the ancient past," I'd imagine that the Dark Continent is from the future.

If Z1 didn't already happen, it would also fit in with the plot to Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, and Gundam X.

While a bit early, I would like to see a later SRW game re-explore the post-apocalypse setting in a more robust manner, having Gurren Lagann's first season plot happen at the same time as Xabungle, Turn A Gundam, Overman King Gainer, Big O, etc's plots. You can probably squeeze in GunXSword in there pretty easily as well. I guess Zoids Genesis or one of those other Zoids shows I dunno. POST-APOCALYPSE!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Drop the Aphrodite and the Shuttle. The Gundam 00 Battleship with the name I'm not even going to attempt to spell can repair, and Dai-Guard can resupply.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mercury Crusader posted:

While a bit early, I would like to see a later SRW game re-explore the post-apocalypse setting in a more robust manner, having Gurren Lagann's first season plot happen at the same time as Xabungle, Turn A Gundam, Overman King Gainer, Big O, etc's plots. You can probably squeeze in GunXSword in there pretty easily as well. I guess Zoids Genesis or one of those other Zoids shows I dunno. POST-APOCALYPSE!

Throw in Getter Armageddon, Gravion, Macross: DYRL, and Golion and you have an entire post-apocalyptic cast without the need for time travelers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Throw in Getter Armageddon, Gravion, Macross: DYRL, and Golion and you have an entire post-apocalyptic cast without the need for time travelers.

I would desperately love to see a PostApocalyptic/Apocalyptic SRW that added Evangelion to these ranks. It seems like First Impact would go perfectly at either the beginning or the end of the Black History the way Z did it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I knew TTGL would get dragged into the main plot eventually, but I'd imagined they'd wait a little bit before bringing in everybody else. I mean, I get that from a gameplay standpoint you can't just have Lagann running missions entirely by itself, and players would be pissed if you suddenly took away all their other units all of a sudden, but kinda the whole point of early TTGL is a ragtag group with very limited arsenal against the world. But that feeling isn't really there when they immediately get an army of buddies to help them out.

Additionally, the presence of an airship (and indeed every single flying unit) is gonna really make the part where Gurren Lagann gets wings weird, since flying was supposed to be a big deal before then. Still, really interested to see how all these plots get woven together.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TwoPair posted:

Wow, I knew TTGL would get dragged into the main plot eventually, but I'd imagined they'd wait a little bit before bringing in everybody else. I mean, I get that from a gameplay standpoint you can't just have Lagann running missions entirely by itself, and players would be pissed if you suddenly took away all their other units all of a sudden, but kinda the whole point of early TTGL is a ragtag group with very limited arsenal against the world. But that feeling isn't really there when they immediately get an army of buddies to help them out.

Additionally, the presence of an airship (and indeed every single flying unit) is gonna really make the part where Gurren Lagann gets wings weird, since flying was supposed to be a big deal before then. Still, really interested to see how all these plots get woven together.

That's one unfortunate side-effect of transition to SRW: often you have to sacrifice interesting elements of a single series in order to make the rest work. The original Gundam isn't quite the same when Zeon can field forty Zakus in each battle, for instance, but Mazinger Z needs something to blow up.

One better way they could have done it in this case would be to match them up with one or two newcomer series before the whole gang rolled in, so you have some variety but not too much. Sadly I can't really think of anyone who'd fit the bill in this particular game, which is probably why it sort of gets introduced in a vacuum.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Drop Kyrios and Aphrodite A

Caphi posted:

Lagann (Simon)
Skills
Spiral Power L2
Prevail L6
Break Will Limit
Spirits
Gain
Guts
Traits
Spiral Drive
Weapons
Hit (10 EN)
Lagann Impact (20 EN, 110 Will, pierce barrier)
Ace Bonus: Deploys with +30 Will.
Holy poo poo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Snot Man posted:

One better way they could have done it in this case would be to match them up with one or two newcomer series before the whole gang rolled in, so you have some variety but not too much. Sadly I can't really think of anyone who'd fit the bill in this particular game, which is probably why it sort of gets introduced in a vacuum.

A good example of this is the Geass/VOTOMs route featuring Wing Gundam. Of course, yeah, there is very little that would fit in the early Dark Continent stuff except maybe Getter Armageddon (but the current implementation of it is way awesome already, so).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snot Man posted:

That's one unfortunate side-effect of transition to SRW: often you have to sacrifice interesting elements of a single series in order to make the rest work. The original Gundam isn't quite the same when Zeon can field forty Zakus in each battle, for instance, but Mazinger Z needs something to blow up.

I think the issue with Gurren-Lagann was that they had a lot of good ideas for what to do with it, so they rushed the joining itself so they could get to interactions and crossover stuff. The enemy boss is pretty into the game's core plot, and :kamina: bouncing off other pilots is some of the best material in the game.

As for the show's adventure/journey theme, the first Z had an awful lot of that frontier stuff (Eureka Seven, King Gainer, Gundam X). On the other hand, Z2's setting is far more civilized, with the three superpowers and the themes of Gundam 00 and Code Geass essentially defining humanity. So naturally, a show like Gurren-Lagann is going to stick out (note: their setting integration amounts to "they've been isolated for the last 20 years"). So from a writing standpoint they kind of had to make deep changes to the plot and atmosphere to get it to fit. I think what we got in exchange for that worked pretty well, though.

It's also true that the show only offers one robot right now and SRW doesn't do solos for long.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah, Kamina generally has about 10 points over Simon in all areas at the moment.

Also, drop Virtue and Aphrodite A, because Kyrios is actually pretty good and I like Trider purely because of the combo attack it gets with Zambot 3 later on. WHAT SHOULD WE DO? I DUNNO JUST JUGGLE REALLY FAST.

Virtue's barrier is really good if you get some EN on Tieria and some armour. I always found Kyrios to be a somewhat mediocre attacker that needed Focus to really survive, whereas with a modicum of investment Virtue will consistently take 0 damage from mooks and tank boss hits like a Super.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

Virtue's barrier is really good if you get some EN on Tieria and some armour. I always found Kyrios to be a somewhat mediocre attacker that needed Focus to really survive, whereas with a modicum of investment Virtue will consistently take 0 damage from mooks and tank boss hits like a Super.

Yeah I'll have to agree. Virtue tanks hits that would damage my battleships. A chunk of accuracy and it hits consistently. Then with its' Ace Bonus it gets to ignore barriers, so overall it's a pretty good unit. it and Exia are really superior to the other two.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HiKaizer posted:

...Huh, thats a good point.

Maybe I should start using it...

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'll admit it starts off slowly, but by the end game it is seriously rolling like a bulldozer.

Also I never actually got up to his Ace bonus, but it is really icing on the cake.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

veekie posted:

Holy poo poo.

And now you see the beginnings of a brokenly powerful pilot/mech. I'm getting the feeling Gurren Lagaan just might be like Zeorymer in J.

TwoPair posted:

Still, really interested to see how all these plots get woven together.

Super Robot Wars games tend to do that very well.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The only question is, what about Kamina?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Related but rather amusing, here is the concept art for Dancougar Nova.

You, uh, may notice some differences.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

Related but rather amusing, here is the concept art for Dancougar Nova.

You, uh, may notice some differences.

Seems that Obari had seen a little too much Godmars when he made that sketch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Seems that Obari had seen a little too much Godmars when he made that sketch.

It's actually by Katsushi Murakami. Obari did cleanups on the design later. A friend linked me to this earlier actually:

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I honestly focused all my efforts on using Ryoma and Getter-1 over the other forms just because, well, in Hakai-Hen, you ALWAYS have Ryoma, Hayato, and Musashi, and together, they have drat near every important spirit in the game.

As a result, Ryoma got all the actual skills and such, but Hayato and were basically used as SP batteries. Something that, given the spirits they get and Musashi's absurd Ace Bonus...

Yeah, I say that the Getter is one of Hakai-Hen's best units for a reason.

And we'll see what Kamina can do next update. Suffice to say that he is very close to being the most broken pilot in the game.

And yes, the Eureka 7 units all suck rear end and you should avoid using them if at all possible. In fact, you should probably FUB the lot with your NG+ money just so they don't get blown the gently caress up at the drop of a hat, because they tend to be mission critical an unhealthy amount of the time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually by Katsushi Murakami. Obari did cleanups on the design later. A friend linked me to this earlier actually:

I like how all the change is just making them more flexible and looking more dynamic and less like block toys.

I mean that seriously. Obari is awesome. I love Gravion and Dancouga (the robots, that is, though I like Gravion too).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Gulping Again posted:

And we'll see what Kamina can do next update. Suffice to say that he is very close to being the most broken pilot in the game.
I'd like to see how he warrants that in a game full of overpowered pilots :D

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Caphi posted:

I like how all the change is just making them more flexible and looking more dynamic and less like block toys.

I mean that seriously. Obari is awesome. I love Gravion and Dancouga (the robots, that is, though I like Gravion too).

Funny, I like the originals better for pretty much all of those. They're robots, they SHOULD look stiff and blocky and imposing. If they get dynamic in combat, then that's all the more impressive.

Also, Obari's designs have way too many spiky protrusions that don't really seem to serve any purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Gravion and DanGaiOh are sort of arguable, but the original Nova looks like one of those toys that you wind up and it moves along incredibly stiffly. Not just that, but it looks like one of those toys if it was made out of painted bricks and manure.

Not a fan.

EDIT: Like, seriously, I have trouble imagining how that thing could even animate. Godmars looks more capable of locomotion.

• Locked thread