Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I did that to a trailer mounted pump I was servicing. Backed it into our smaller bay and hit one of the lift pads with the sidewall of a 15 year old tire. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
did that to a 285/75r16 BFG AT a few months ago :(

I accidentally backed up over an engine block, though, it wasn't a lift. Swear I'd backed up right by that engine a hundred times without hitting it, and then smacked it good and hard that one time.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Crosspost from the Locomotive Insanity Thread

there are more pics and a description there

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

did that to a 285/75r16 BFG AT a few months ago :(

I accidentally backed up over an engine block, though, it wasn't a lift. Swear I'd backed up right by that engine a hundred times without hitting it, and then smacked it good and hard that one time.

I just knew that was a kastein post without looking at your name.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Joe Mama posted:

I did that to a trailer mounted pump I was servicing. Backed it into our smaller bay and hit one of the lift pads with the sidewall of a 15 year old tire. Done.

To be fair, 15 year old tires are just looking for an excuse to pop anyway. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

I just knew that was a kastein post without looking at your name.

Was it the lack of thread-relevant content, the useless information, or the driving into an engine block by accident? :haw:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Was it the lack of thread-relevant content, the useless information, or the driving into an engine block by accident? :haw:

Big tires and driving into an engine block, yup.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
2000-ish Audi A4, barely driveable due to all of the brakes looking something like this:

:stare:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 12, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Holy gently caress! Did the rotor completely separate from the hat all the way around?

:stonk:

Edit: You edited out the first two. Now I'm confused slightly

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Root Bear posted:

2000-ish Audi A4, barely driveable due to all of the brakes looking something like this:

:stare:

What the hell happened?

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
It looks almost like severe acid corrosion. Jesus that's bad.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Bob NewSCART posted:

What the hell happened?

Spent the majority of its life in the Chicagoland area, then sat parked for a few years. The brake pads were rusted solid into the support brackets, so the pedal felt decent but it was terrifying trying to stop even at slow speeds.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy gently caress! Did the rotor completely separate from the hat all the way around?

:stonk:

Edit: You edited out the first two. Now I'm confused slightly

The rotor came off in one piece, that's just the way it's cast. The first 2 pics were of the same rotor, but with the flash turned on, which I felt concealed most of the ugliness:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For you guys saying gear oil stinks, ever smell a transmission thats been running on coolant?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

ever smell a transmission thats been running on coolant?

loving S10 Blazers. Dat stink.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No but I've smelled transmissions that have been running on... well, from the look of it, housing casting fragments and clutch frictions.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

For you guys saying gear oil stinks, ever smell a transmission thats been running on coolant?

I can't even possibly imagine the odor.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The internet will be a terrible place when cameras start capturing scents.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

thecobra posted:

The internet will be a terrible place when cameras start capturing scents.

The new rickroll. Nice video with a pleasant smell then suddenly explosive diarrhea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

How does that even happen? Seriously hosed tranny cooler?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I imagine the transmission discovered it has wonderful new straw and a sweet tooth.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

The tranny cooler is just a tube coiled through the engine coolant. Doesn't take much to corrode and start letting the 2 mix.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lots of GMs back in the day had a coolant bath transmission cooler (read: a radiator for the ATF inside of the regular radiator). Treat your DexCool according to the "lifetime" claims of the time and watch it start eating through the inner trans cooler after it turned acidic and that's what happens.

And as I've mentioned many times before.....GM got sued over that "DexCool is lifetime" claim and it doesn't say that anymore. It was based on this poo poo and eating head gaskets and all the other things that left-in-tool-long-now-turned-acidic-coolant does to motors and cooling systems.

The best part about the trans cooler failures was that it would push ATF into the cooling system when cold and running and then push coolant into the trans circuit when off and hot. So you got it both ways depending on which one was higher pressure at the time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I never saw any real failures due to trans fluid in the cooling system, it just got really gross and sludgy, but coolant in the trans is an almost instant death sentence.

I think the best I ever saw was some guy with an old ford crown vic that came into the quicklube I worked at. His power steering was whining and rattling horribly at a touch of the wheel, and he asked if I could take a couple minutes and see if I could figure out why. It wasn't difficult, in fact I found out during my usual fluid level checks - the power steering fluid reservoir was 95% full of coolant, with only a very thin layer of ATF on top of it :stare: I noted it on the receipt to cover our asses, informed him and told him he'd probably need a total system replacement in the near future, but that I could try flushing it out mostly by sucking the reservoir dry, then filling it with ATF and repeating this several times with the system running. Surprisingly the pump sounded better cavitating with no fluid in it than with coolant in it, and a lot better mostly purged and filled with ATF, the operation was mostly a success, and the PS system lasted for at least another 6 months, as I saw it again when he came back. I left the shop to go to college and never saw it again, but it was running smooth and fairly quiet the last time I saw it.

I'd really like to find out who thought it was a good idea to put coolant in the power steering reservoir - didn't see any way it could get in there through mechanical failure, the car didn't have a power steering cooler in the radiator or anything that I could see.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

the quicklube I worked at
cavitating

I have a hard time believing that someone who worked at a quick lube knows this word, even if they spell it wrong.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Motronic posted:

I have a hard time believing that someone who worked at a quick lube knows this word, even if they spell it wrong.

Just because someone works at a quicklube to make some money on the side doesn't mean they're a total loving moron.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

I worked there during high school, while taking 95% of my courseload at a community college, graduated with an associates in electrical engineering a short while after leaving high school, and then went to a 4 year school for another degree in electrical & computer engineering. I might be a retard, but I'm a smart retard :haw:

e: also, googling tells me I spelled it right :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Lots of GMs back in the day had a coolant bath transmission cooler (read: a radiator for the ATF inside of the regular radiator).

Many cars are still built like that. Not just GM either, my 91 Integra had the same setup, as does mom's 03 Toyota, and my 99 Altima would if it had a slushbox. The M/T radiators are difficult to find for my car, when mine finally goes I'll probably toss the A/T version in and leave the ATF ports capped.

e: Friend's 05 Kia also uses the same setup.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Coolant in PS system

I work at the same type of place, and I've seen all kinds of poo poo like that. A car came in about a month ago, my coworker went to fill the washer fluid reservoir, and after about 2 seconds discovered it was already filled. With oil. :wtc:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

All Jeeps I've ever seen are built like that too. Even the ones with an auxiliary cooler for towing still have the in-radiator cooler in the loop, in fact "radiator cooler or aux cooler first?" is basically a religious debate on jeep forums, with everyone sure they're right and no one agreeing.

e: I had a vehicle come to me with coolant in the washer fluid reservoir once. And some guy tried to get us to put 75W140 diff lube in his engine "because the bearings are kinda worn and it'll keep it alive a bit longer." Yeah, we turned that one down.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

All Jeeps I've ever seen are built like that too. Even the ones with an auxiliary cooler for towing still have the in-radiator cooler in the loop, in fact "radiator cooler or aux cooler first?" is basically a religious debate on jeep forums, with everyone sure they're right and no one agreeing.

Run them in parallel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I worked there during high school, while taking 95% of my courseload at a community college, graduated with an associates in electrical engineering a short while after leaving high school, and then went to a 4 year school for another degree in electrical & computer engineering. I might be a retard, but I'm a smart retard :haw:

e: also, googling tells me I spelled it right :confused:

Hello....screwing with you :huh:

We'll hug it out later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

e: I had a vehicle come to me with coolant in the washer fluid reservoir once. And some guy tried to get us to put 75W140 diff lube in his engine "because the bearings are kinda worn and it'll keep it alive a bit longer." Yeah, we turned that one down.

I used to run 60 (single weight) oil in my F-150.

With 10w30 or 20w50 the oil gauge showed about 5-10 psi cruising and poured out of the engine like water. With 60 it would get up to about 20 psi while cruising, about 5 at idle (but twitched in time to a mild rod knock). Drove it like that for about 4 years :haw: - I called it my rolling superfund site.

I don't think you can even find straight 60 anymore, can you?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Fucknag posted:

Run them in parallel.

Depends on the climate, really. Most owners that live in hotter regions will usually bypass the radiator cooler (heat exchanger, actually) altogether while colder regions keep it in the loop to help heat up the trans fluid. I ditched my stock cooler, bypassed the radiator in put in a large aluminum B&M stacked plate type.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Not only can you find it, but full synthetic to boot. Royal Purple Nitro Plus 60 baby. Expensive, but totally worth it in the right situation (rod bearings on the way out on a hot track day).

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Philip J Fry posted:

Depends on the climate, really. Most owners that live in hotter regions will usually bypass the radiator cooler (heat exchanger, actually) altogether while colder regions keep it in the loop to help heat up the trans fluid. I ditched my stock cooler, bypassed the radiator in put in a large aluminum B&M stacked plate type.

Yeah, for a while Suburbans had a fantastic radiator that was for coolant, an oil cooler and ATF warmer. First change for anyone towing anything was to put in an external ATF cooler and not use the multiplexed radiator for the tranny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

I know Kroon Oil makes a cheap straight 50 for vintage old-rear end Harleys.

Best chain lube I've ever used.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Jeremy Foley's car had a pretty horrible mechanical failure during Pike's Peak hillclimb over the weekend, but the safety systems were pretty miraculously awesome: he walked away practically unhurt, and his co-driver Yuri only suffered a dislocated shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUrEPPABbY

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Wait till the Sierra Club hears about THIS!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

grover posted:

Jeremy Foley's car had a pretty horrible mechanical failure during Pike's Peak hillclimb over the weekend, but the safety systems were pretty miraculously awesome: he walked away practically unhurt, and his co-driver Yuri only suffered a dislocated shoulder.

drat, one hell of a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

grover posted:

Love the guy in the background, at 0:04 - DAAAMMN! and again at 0:06 HOLY SHEEYIT!! and then later on WOOO!! and some more unintelligible poo poo.

Amazing they walked away from that, bet they needed to change pants after that