Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Huh. I glossed over that. Might be the buggy weekend (the new Origin remains terrible) driving people away but if it's not, that's not good news.

Well, honestly, playing the same exact game mode with the same exact enemies since launch gets kind of stale after a while.
The constant stream of new classes, maps and weapons are awesome and keep it somewhat interesting, but they can mask the fact that you've been doing the same exact stuff since March only for so long.

The game desperately needs a new game type and new enemies.

I'm at a point where I've unlocked all but one character, all but three ultra rare guns (not counting promotional stuff like the BF3 soldier or the Collector Rifle) and my motivation to play has dropped significantly since I've unlocked most of the stuff from the Earth DLC. Heck, I'm not even looking forward to buying new packs anymore because I know that I'll just get crap anyway at this point.
I still play the odd game or two here and there every couple of days because the gameplay itself is still solid and fun, but I just can't get arsed to play this for an entire evening or an entire weekend like back when the game was just released anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Vietnamwees posted:

But yeah, we did pretty that first game, but then the servers took a poo poo on us while we were on wave 7 with our high level consumables on. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of when I use consumables, wasting my stuff like that just infuriates me to no end.
Yeah, that sucked. Though, having everything but Gear and Ultra-Rares maxed out means at least the lvl IV consumables slowly started filling up - a lot better than receiving useless character cards at least. Gear still seems pretty rare though, all things considered.

Vietnamwees posted:

EDIT: You know the sad thing about failing this event? That there's basically NO reason to care if we succeed or not. The Allied Victory pack isn't going to have any promo weapon, right? Then whats the point in doing anything besides the Squad Goal?
Victory packs were always borderline insulting (except that one time it had a promo weapon), but I start feeling the same for Commendation packs. Once you have every promo gun unlocked you're basically done with them. I'd be much more interested in the Ultra-Rares at this point.

Also I completely missed that they're tracking the status for this event:

https://twitter.com/masseffect/, 4 hours ago posted:

Operation: OLYMPUS update - Allied Goals: Bronze (36%), Silver (32%), Gold (31%). There's still time. To arms, soldiers!
Welp, no Victory pack this time...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know if we're ever going to get a new game mode in ME3, although I'm still holding out hope for a Collectors or Merc faction DLC. The vibe I'm getting is that MP will stay in a holding pattern until the inevitable full-fledged ME multiplayer game is released, with maybe a few more perks in between.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I'm not totally done, but gently caress me if I could care less about the weekend operations anymore.

I'm jumping on for a couple of hours if you change your mind. We could bang out a two man bronze in no time.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Does the Vindicator have any redeeming qualities? Like at all? Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

Also dont know what Bioware were thinking with the numbers for this weekend op. I'm not sure it could be completed even back in March when people still cared about the weekend events.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Not really. It's not quite useless, but there's a reason why people generally avoid ARs besides the Mattock (but the clicking:gonk:), Saber (but the weight:gonk:), Harrier (but the ammo:gonk:). The Revenant and Typhoon are good too, but only with accuracy bonuses.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Heh, I just had the most interesting Platinum/Glacier/Geth farming run ever - my Cerb Adept, a vanilla Asari Adept, N7 Demolisher, and...N7 Paladin. The Paladin would just plant his shield down at the doorway to the office while I primed everything with Smash and the AA would make explosions and the Demolisher would just chuck grenades like they were going out of style. It was surprisingly effective - we only once got overrun when 2 Banshees teleported through the walls from the stairs and a rocket quickly took care of that.

We would've gotten a full extraction if the idiot AA didn't decide to try to leave the office at the start of the wave.

Oh and the other thing...whoever was playing the Paladin started playing music during the objective waves, including one hell of an epic orchestral track during the extraction wave. But my favorite was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pumpking posted:

Also dont know what Bioware were thinking with the numbers for this weekend op. I'm not sure it could be completed even back in March when people still cared about the weekend events.

The operation before this one required 800,000 round 11 extractions, and it succeeded. That's almost double what this one requires.

I haven't put much effort into it personally though because matchmaking has been landing me on nothing but London and I don't really want to play that map all weekend.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The last operation was also right after the DLC dropped. That always inflates player numbers.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
It required 800,000 extractions of players. It could be done piecemeal but worked out to 200,000 full extractions at minimum. This objective requires 450,000 wave 10 completions split across 3 different difficulties. I'd be interested to see how player population changes when there's an event as opposed to just a regular weekend but from word go it was pretty obvious there's no way the community goal would be met.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I unlocked the Paladin this morning. Seems cool, but I don't think I'm using him correctly. I don't remember the specific upgrade selections, but I went 6 Energy Drain, 4 Inferno, 6 Snap Freeze, 4 Paladin, 6 Shield Mastery. I was rocking a Piranha with Cryo Ammo. He doesn't do much damage but helped out the team pretty good.

Any way to improve this guy? Different gun? Different power usage?

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I think I just got stupid lucky, I had enough saved up for like 10 PSPs and I got all these characters, asari justicar, krogan soldier, geth engineer, paladin, quarian infil, geth infil, quarian male, n7 shadow, and n7 slayer :shepface: if anyone has any builds they wanna toss out for any thatd be awesome, or if maybe we could put aome popular builds for yhe characters in the OP maybe?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Are you a 360 group running games tonight for the weekend challenge? Invite me! Gt is BrokenKnees and we can shoot and extract mans to get your next free eagle upgrade!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So I have been sitting here for about 45 minutes, watching a guy more or less solo Condor on plat. I got dropped into it with an AA. He's running as a Vorcha, whether soldier or sent I don't know, but nothing can kill him. It's insane. I might be able to contribute more but for some reason my stasis has decided to just stop working on things.

edit: OK, maybe he's hacking or something because he's been grabbed by a banshee twice now and she's completed the animation and he doesn't die.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 13, 2012

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The Fury just seems godlike, are they probably gonna nerf her? I mean, it completely makes AA obsolete.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Danger posted:

The Fury just seems godlike, are they probably gonna nerf her? I mean, it completely makes AA obsolete.

Stasis is still useful, and the AA is a better at combos in some ways (more damage at range).

The N7 Soldier seems to be a clearer case to me; Human (and Turian) Soldiers can't compete.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

AA's been obsolete for a long time IMO. Stasis is good, but having 2 unreliable projectile powers is really terrible. Fury can self BE as reliably as old Adepts could before, AJ is very survivable and a great team character, PA has a power that does a poo poo-ton of damage, and since grenade gear has been available I think the Drell Adept is a lot better as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cerberus Adept (or better, Vanguard) can't do long-range combos properly, and I still find Lash problematic in terms of the amount of time you spend out of cover. It's fun and effective, but it's not filling quite the same role. Justicar's similar (and feels closer to, say, the Turian Sentinel than the AA).

Furies are better at close range, but worse at longer range. Compared to the AA you're missing one of the explosion modifiers, and the bonus damage from Warp.

I've barely played my AAdept recently, but that's because the Fury is fresh and fun.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought a PSP and got the piranha I...I'm still fairly new at this, 205 n7 points...anyways, what's the cheapest way to get up to a piranha X?

Also, I only have the n7 destroyer and shadow...is the only way to get the other classes through sp and PSP packs?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't get what's unreliable about the projectiles, you don't even really have to aim either throw or warp.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You have virtually no control over what you'll get in the packs, aside from a guarantee of certain rarities.

PSPs are the most economical way to unlock most things, although if you're still starting and aren't clearing Gold / Platinum regularly you might be better off buying a heap of Veteran or Recruit packs until you've maxed out the starter weapons and got some of the other Uncommon bonuses.

Rick posted:

I don't get what's unreliable about the projectiles, you don't even really have to aim either throw or warp.

The more mobile enemies can dodge.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 13, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The more mobile enemies can dodge.

But warp usually hits anyway and throw will too if you take radius.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rick posted:

It's part of the reason you take Throw Field, but it's still not guaranteed. It happens often enough to be annoying.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rick posted:

Pretty much any target without armor can potentially dodge them non-stop, making it less reliable than instant cast powers.

Reave and Dark Channel are much better for that, let alone multiple targets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Most things that can dodge can be affected by Stasis though, and there's often a big boss enemy to combo off anyway. I get more frustrated by dodging guys on my Cerberus Vanguard than I do on my AAdept.

Plus projectile powers can be used to hit things out of line of sight.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Also Phantoms will put up their bullshit shield if they see a projectile power or grenade coming, but they can't see instant-casts coming so those will only be blocked if someone else triggered it and it's still up.

1st AD posted:

Heh, I just had the most interesting Platinum/Glacier/Geth farming run ever - my Cerb Adept, a vanilla Asari Adept, N7 Demolisher, and...N7 Paladin. The Paladin would just plant his shield down at the doorway to the office while I primed everything with Smash and the AA would make explosions and the Demolisher would just chuck grenades like they were going out of style. It was surprisingly effective - we only once got overrun when 2 Banshees teleported through the walls from the stairs and a rocket quickly took care of that.

We would've gotten a full extraction if the idiot AA didn't decide to try to leave the office at the start of the wave.

Oh and the other thing...whoever was playing the Paladin started playing music during the objective waves, including one hell of an epic orchestral track during the extraction wave. But my favorite was this one:

:golfclap: I hope you added that dude, he sounds fun.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Rick posted:

From my experience, off-host, Warp tends to look like it hit, but doesn't register about half the time. Anything that isn't a boss has a very high chance to dodge Warp constantly. Throw->Warp->Throw is more reliable, but takes an eternity compared to Dark Channel->Throw or Reave->Cluster Grenade, especially if the enemy dodges either Throw. Stasis->Throw doesn't have nearly the same damage output, and Stasis has a longer cooldown. For BEs I find the AA pretty weak now, but Stasis specced for Bubble and Warp specced for Expose makes her a decent support character.

Somebody asked for a Krogan Soldier guide, so here's my take on it. The basic gist of it is Always Be Nading. The Krogan Soldier has a pretty weak skill set, but it's got more synergy than something like the Turian Soldier or Batarian Sentinel.

Fortification used to be a pretty terrible power, but it got a buff several weeks back. I would recommend taking 5 ranks of Fortification, picking durability at rank 4 and power damage at rank 5. I don't recommend shield recharge unless you also take that at rank 5 of Fitness. There are some people who would advocate skipping Carnage entirely for durability at rank 6, but I keep Carnage since it has its purpose. Besides providing DR, Fortification also gives a melee damage bonus when purged, but I find on Gold that melee is only useful as a last resort after wave 5 since the weakest troops stop spawning then.

Carnage is a now the worst skill the Krogan Soldier has. Specced completely for damage, it's not bad, but it is hampered by its long cooldown. Rank 5 incapacitate can turn it into a more damaging version of Concussive Shot, but I recommend taking it to 3 ranks. Only use Carnage if you need some breathing room while in close quarters, or to stun a smaller enemy before going in for a melee kill. Carnage can also be used to detonate fire explosions triggered by your Inferno Grenades. To do this, fire Carnage at a target that's almost dead after they've been damaged by your grenades and it'll create a large explosion damage everything around it.

Inferno Grenades are the bread and butter of the Krogan Soldier. I personally take all of the damage evolutions, and extra armor damage. Rank 6 Radius is good, but it doesn't appear to actually throw an extra piece of shrapnel like it did in ME2. If you don't have any grenade boosting gear, then I suggest going for extra grenades at rank 5 instead of the damage; the power damage from Fortification rank 5 will make up most of the difference.

Passive is specced for weapon damage, power damage and weapon damage. You want to put out as much hurt as possible. Equip the most damaging shotgun you have. I personally use the Claymore, although the Piranha, GPS or Graal are all good choices. Cooldowns aren't going to matter much with this build, but I generally find that one weapon is enough.

Fitness is all health and shields. I personally use martial artist at rank 5 but extra shield recharge doesn't hurt.

So overall the build looks like this. I haven't tried it on Platinum but it works great for me on Gold. The high health and shields combined with the DR from Fortification gives you a lot of leeway to stay out of cover, but you can still die very fast if you aren't careful. Since you can't dodge, you need a lot more situational awareness. Focus on using your gun and Carnage and use your grenades sparingly during early waves. They're powerful enough to eat up spawns and bosses, especially if you spec for armor damage, so save them for emergencies. On wave 6 and higher, feel free to spawn bomb and remember to use your thermal clips to refill on grenades instantly when you're in a pinch. The Krogan Soldier played this way works wonders against Reapers and Cerberus. Against Geth, you're going to want to hug cover a lot and be more liberal with grenades since they're great against Hunters, and I'd swap out the shotgun for either a Falcon or a Mattock/Harrier. I wouldn't recommend fighting Geth though, since non-Vanguard Krogans get easily stunlocked to death by them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stasis is still useful, and the AA is a better at combos in some ways (more damage at range).

The N7 Soldier seems to be a clearer case to me; Human (and Turian) Soldiers can't compete.

I absolutely prefer the regular ol' soldier to the Destroyer. I prefer more mobility and an instant shield-boost to a Krogan knockoff.

Seriously, I'm really not liking the Destroyer, even with my Missile Launcher specced to zero. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong gun...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone else have a problem with the buttons 'sticking'? What happens is that I'll tap a button to shoot or aim down sights or whatever, and it'll just unload all my ammo if I shoot, or stay permanently zoomed in. This is the only game that this happens in, and it's kinda irritating.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

1st AD posted:

This is beautiful.

I've found that somehow 70s hard rock works fantastically well with the game. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the likes.
I slapped an Adrenaline module III on my N7 Fury, who also has the movement speed evolution in Annihilation Field, and ran around the map at face-melting speed exploding everything while listening to this. Was the biggest kick I've gotten from the multiplayer so far. :haw:

Also, unlocked the Demolisher the other day, which makes the Slayer the last new class I haven't unlocked, which suits me just fine because I have zero interest in him anyways.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I absolutely prefer the regular ol' soldier to the Destroyer. I prefer more mobility and an instant shield-boost to a Krogan knockoff.

Seriously, I'm really not liking the Destroyer, even with my Missile Launcher specced to zero. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong gun...
With a Typhoon and Piranha you can chew through anything.

Mobility I can see, but I don't quite get the comparison to a Krogan; the melee stuff is pretty terrible, and there's nothing like Rage or Fortification to manage.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm still running my original soldier as well, I like the mobility as well. I enjoy the destroyer as well and it's a stronger class but they play differently enough that nothing is really obsolete.

I've found that Destroyer is a good class for burning off my stock of adrenaline modules; it helps with the mobility quite a bit. It's a good class for goofing around with guns as well. Because you don't care at all about weight you can take whatever goofball gun you want to try out and pack something you know is good as a backup.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't quite get the comparison to a Krogan

I think he just means that they are slow and can't roll.

thefullmetal999 posted:

So I think I just got stupid lucky, I had enough saved up for like 10 PSPs and I got all these characters, asari justicar, krogan soldier, geth engineer, paladin, quarian infil, geth infil, quarian male, n7 shadow, and n7 slayer :shepface: if anyone has any builds they wanna toss out for any thatd be awesome, or if maybe we could put aome popular builds for yhe characters in the OP maybe?

Justicar
Paladin
Quarian Inf sniper build
Geth Inf shotgun build
Shadow
Slayer

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I think he just means that they are slow and can't roll.
I absolutely suck at using dodges effectively, so that might be why I don't notice much of a difference.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So if you use a GPS and cloak then charge your weapon you de-cloak. Awesomeew

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

thefullmetal999 posted:

So if you use a GPS and cloak then charge your weapon you de-cloak. Awesomeew

I think if you charge, then cloak, it stays charged and you stay cloaked.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Magic Love Hose posted:

That's how any charge-up weapon works with cloak. It's hard to get used to at first (at least for me) but it feels like you get a second shot off faster while you're cloaked.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Magic Love Hose posted:

Also when you let go to fire you'll stay cloaked as well. Cloak is broken by pressing down on the fire button not by actually firing. If you reload using the fire button while cloaked it'll break cloak but it won't if you use the reload button instead.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Human soldier is also great just for the ability to pair adrenaline rush with the claymore, which dumps a fairly enormous amount of damage on any particular target at one go.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Felinoid posted:

Also Phantoms will put up their bullshit shield if they see a projectile power or grenade coming, but they can't see instant-casts coming so those will only be blocked if someone else triggered it and it's still up.

The bitch of it is that half the time they don't even need to see it coming. Apparently everything we can throw that has a travel time uses radar so their internal radar detectors know when something is coming and :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Basic mooks seem to do this too. I throw a skill at their loving back and somehow they know to dive out of the way. Stupidly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How important it is to finish singleplayer before starting MP? I'd like to give it a run but I haven't seen a lot of the enemy types I'm reading mentioned in the thread yet so I get the impression I'd be a liability at this point.

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP? So far the Mattock and Katana seem outstanding. The Mattock certainly was in ME2 but not the Katana.

• Locked thread