Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Where are you guys watching V/H/S? It isn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime, and I can't seem to find it on Amazon even to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

User-Friendly posted:

Where are you guys watching V/H/S? It isn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime, and I can't seem to find it on Amazon even to buy.

Heard it was on iTunes... but only in Canada. So it was most likely ripped from there.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

User-Friendly posted:

I saw it at a film festival a little while back, I'm going to wait it out for it's official theatrical release before watching it again.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
V/H/S isn't playing in Austin, it looks like. :(

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I think V/H/S is playing at Frightfest this year, that's where I'll be seeing it!

I just saw Grabbers a new Irish Horror/Comedy from the director of Tormented. I thought it was pretty good, well paced, cool looking monster and some good jokes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finally saw Trollhunter (with english subs!)

Surprisingly good movie.

Only question I had was they mention that the trolls grow more heads later in life to attract females, but that Jontur one had only one head. Was that 200 foot tall son of a bitch a kid?

I'd recommend it for a watchin.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/
This thread convinced me to watch Detention and it was fantastic.

After that amazing sequence with the Taylor being pushed out the window and hitting her Mom's car, I was pretty much on board with any and everything this movie wanted to throw at me.

It's such a brazen example of style over substance I found myself just going along with most of the insanity, even when it's narrative has gone off the rails.

If you've seen it once, and feel indifferent about it, I'd recommend seeing it at least once more because there are quite a few lines that seemed like non sequitur humor during my first watch that I feel like work better a second time, for example Ione/Slone's comment about the coach being as funny as 'Bronson Pinchot'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sambafish posted:

This thread convinced me to watch Detention and it was fantastic.

After that amazing sequence with the Taylor being pushed out the window and hitting her Mom's car, I was pretty much on board with any and everything this movie wanted to throw at me.

It's such a brazen example of style over substance I found myself just going along with most of the insanity, even when it's narrative has gone off the rails.

If you've seen it once, and feel indifferent about it, I'd recommend seeing it at least once more because there are quite a few lines that seemed like non sequitur humor during my first watch that I feel like work better a second time, for example Ione/Slone's comment about the coach being as funny as 'Bronson Pinchot'

Actually, if you listen to every reference that character makes then you'll notice they're roughly a decade earlier than everyone else.

There's also a throwaway line later about how she can dance up a storm to c+c music factory, which is what she does when we first meet her.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 12, 2012

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chiming in on the [REC] 3 Genesis reviews from a couple days ago... goddamn was this a disappointment. The tone of the film took a complete 180 in comparison to the first two. Had high expections, but the concept/idea behind this film just fell flat on its face. And it wasn't even frightening or genuinely disturbing. At all. During the first film, I was pretty much scared shitless the whole time from start to finish, and while I didn't find the second as scary, I loved the unorthodox direction it took to shake up what I thought I knew from the first film.

But the third? It's a movie that does nothing to embellish its predecessors, nor does it add anything to the established mythos. It's a film that's just... there? The only redeeming factor of it is Leticia Dolera. Wish I could see her in more movies (only other movie I've seen her in was Man Push Cart during my first year of college... like 7 years ago). She's lovely to look at. At any rate, my expectations for the 4th film are pretty much at ground level now. Not sure what the gently caress Paco Plaza was thinking going the route he did with Genesis. It's like he cleared two hurdles perfectly, then loving smashed his face into the third hurdle suffering a concussion and broken nose.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just watched Detention.

1: I have no idea what in the hell I just saw.

2: I don't give a gently caress, I loved it anyway.

3: The 90s were strange, I can't believe I had forgotten that.

4: BEARS.

I love how almost every little throw away line or reference tied into something else.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I just looked through some older pages of this thread looking for a movie to watch, and Lake Mungo came highly recommended. After watching it, I can't understand why. One slightly scary scene does not make a good movie when the rest of it is horridly boring. I guess if you enjoy looking at camera footage to occasionally see a GHOST WOOOH SPOOKY then this is terrifying?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Profondo Rosso posted:

I just looked through some older pages of this thread looking for a movie to watch, and Lake Mungo came highly recommended. After watching it, I can't understand why. One slightly scary scene does not make a good movie when the rest of it is horridly boring. I guess if you enjoy looking at camera footage to occasionally see a GHOST WOOOH SPOOKY then this is terrifying?

Fuckin mood and tension, how does it work?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

weekly font posted:

Fuckin mood and tension, how does it work?

usually best without an annoying interview laid over it

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Don't worry, I hated it too.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I thought it was fair. Not amazing and certainly not 'scary,' but a nice mood piece. I wouldn't watch it again though. Generally, I like slow horror movies that rarely go anywhere, but I usually like the tension to ratchet up to something. It's been a while, but I don't really remember feeling that.

I hear Hotel takes that style to an extreme, but I've yet to see it available for a fair price.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was also terribly underwhelmed by Lake Mungo. I really wanted to like it too. I watched it a second time with my girlfriend and she really enjoyed it (still didn't do it for me). She said it made her feel sad and that it was eerie. I just thought it was boring.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???
Lake Mungo.

Yes...re-watched recently for the second time just to give it another go because I failed to see the appeal the first time through.

My conclusion was the same.

However, I watched Red, White and Blue (think I saw it mentioned in this thread somewhere), and that was a "Where the gently caress did that come from?" experience.

I enjoyed it way more that Lake Shithouse.

Probably only a 'oncer' but still.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
So I saw this trailer in theaters a few times in the past, but I've never known even the title of the movie until I looked it up on a whim after watching True Blood last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71vXzDCKqDw

Can anyone tell me what the hell this is about? That trailer's pretty great if only because it's extremely vague, but I would like to know what the gently caress.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

So I saw this trailer in theaters a few times in the past, but I've never known even the title of the movie until I looked it up on a whim after watching True Blood last night.

Can anyone tell me what the hell this is about? That trailer's pretty great if only because it's extremely vague, but I would like to know what the gently caress.

quote:

The passengers and crew of a trans-Pacific flight en route to Tokyo encounter a supernatural force.

That's the plot: as vague as the trailer. Plus the cast looks good (Amy Smart and Scout Taylor-Compton).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I want to shoot you all the bird right now, between the denial of Martyrs and the dismissal of Lake Mungo.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to shoot you all the bird right now, between the denial of Martyrs and the dismissal of Lake Mungo.

I liked both but I can see why most people wouldn't like them. Neither is a movie I find myself recommending to others very often...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

scary ghost dog posted:

Please tell me this is a buddy horror-comedy movie starring Turtle and Jason Stackhouse.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

The links provided with the video aren't very informative, but I'll guess that some sort of supernatural entity, similar to those in The Grudge, are on a plane. The setting seems a little iffy to me and I got a feeling with this trailer that the actual product will be pretty disappointing.

worthless insect fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 13, 2012

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Red, White and Blue is a very good film that has no interest in making a person happy at all. I adovcate this.

Oh yeah, watched Sheitan last night on Netflix. Pretty good, fits in well with the new wave of horror coming out of France recently. Not as visceral or powerful as say Inside or Martyrs, but still pretty solid. Vincent Cassel gives a great somehow funny and yet terrifying performance. Also, weird inbred kids creep me out.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The remake of The Crazies is hella underappreciated. I liked it when it first came out: I like it even more now.

It has a great cast, likable protagonists, a finely realized statement on the inherent goodness of individuals and the capacity for evil of the organization, and incredibly tense sequences. Basically, it's better than it has any right to be and it shames The Walking Dead.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 14, 2012

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

jeremy oval office posted:

The remake of The Crazies is hella underappreciated. I liked it when it first came out: I like it even more now.

It has a great cast, likable protagonists, a finely realized statement on the inherent goodness of individuals and the capacity for evil of the organization, and incredibly tense sequences. Basically, it's better than it has any right to be and it shames The Walking Dead.

I'm glad someone has the same feelings as me on this movie, just last night my roommate (another huge horror buff, more knowledgable than me by a decent margin) and I got in a big argument over the remake. I think it's one of the scarier movies of the last few years I've seen from America. I remember thinking the enidng was incredibly stupid, but other than that- great horror movie and yes, much better than The Walking Dead.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I agree also about The Crazies. It's very good and one of the few horror remakes superior to the original, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna repeat the praise for Detention. It's absolutely amazing. It's funny, well written, well acted (great young cast) and wonderfully shot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Going to nth The Crazies, found the original to be pretty dull but the remake to be pretty decent.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Glamorama26 posted:

Oh yeah, watched Sheitan last night on Netflix. Pretty good, fits in well with the new wave of horror coming out of France recently. Not as visceral or powerful as say Inside or Martyrs, but still pretty solid. Vincent Cassel gives a great somehow funny and yet terrifying performance. Also, weird inbred kids creep me out.
Sheitan was a crazy trip. Vincent Cassel's wild eyed toothy grin is hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Speaking of the French new wave, has there been anything else recently, or is there anything coming up, in this sub-genre or whatever it is? It seems like there was a fairly small time period where there were the movies you mentioned, plus at least a few other interesting little horror throwbacks/mashups like Frontiers. Has the trend run its course, or are we just not hearing about them anymore? I know the director of Inside did one last year called Livid, but the general consensus seemed to be it wasn't anything special.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

jeremy oval office posted:

...it shames The Walking Dead.

Come on now. The first season was pretty good. Bit of a shark jump in the second, let's see what happens in the third.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I watched The Crazies recently after someone here suggested it was bad and I couldn't really remember what was supposed to be bad about it. In fact, I liked it a bit more than when I went to see it at the movies. It's better than the original.

Holdenmagroyn posted:

Come on now. The first season was pretty good. Bit of a shark jump in the second, let's see what happens in the third.

Walking Dead is filth. How you gonna have a character named T-Dogg in 2012 and not have it be a punchline of a joke?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Walking Dead is one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life, and practically a case-study in the problems mainstream horror faces today - it's racist, UNBELIEVABLY sexist, unnecessarily expensive, sloppily paced, self-important, and everyone and everything in it is just a ploy to get from one gross set-piece to another.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Walking Dead had a really good debut episode and then went nowhere and is borderline unwatchable now. I wonder what the jump the shark moment is going to be that gets your average viewer to give up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

penismightier posted:

Walking Dead is one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life, and practically a case-study in the problems mainstream horror faces today - it's racist, UNBELIEVABLY sexist, unnecessarily expensive, sloppily paced, self-important, and everyone and everything in it is just a ploy to get from one gross set-piece to another.

On top of all of that the show is completely boring, and I haven't watched it since the 4th episode of the 2nd season.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Parachute posted:

[b]On top of all of that the show is completely boring/b], and I haven't watched it since the 4th episode of the 2nd season.
To me, this is the worst possible mistake a horror movie/show can make. I can forgive bad acting, nonsensical writing, low budgets, or bad effects in horror as long as it's not boring.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I haven't seen anything past the first season. Does it even try and follow the comics at all?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I like The Walking Dead :shobon: It has a lot of faults and things that could be a lot better, but it's good for a bit of schlocky fun. And it convinced my sister to watch Shaun of the Dead, so some good has come out of it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

foodfight posted:

I haven't seen anything past the first season. Does it even try and follow the comics at all?

Setting wise it kind of does. They had the survivor camp first season but twisted off into a CDC building that was all original for the show. Second season went to Hershels farmhouse and his family which were in the comic. Third season looks like they're going into a prison which again was in the comic.

It's really the small details they keep changing to keep the comic readers on their toes. Like at the end of season 2 Rick kills Shane to protect his family. In the comic however Shane had lured out Rick unarmed so he could kill him and steal Lori. However Rick's son Carl followed them out and killed Shane to protect his dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I love Sci-Fi's random, cheap horror movies they play at like 1:00 AM. I watched the Hitcher remake. It really wasn't as bad as I remembered. Sean Bean was a suitably creepy rear end in a top hat.