Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I think that once you've seen Banshees come screaming in, you know what to expect from the game and don't have to finish it to understand MP at least somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP?
Not exactly.

Singleplayer weapons are still using the release numbers, while multiplayer has been buffed and nerfed significantly since then. Plus some of the class mechanics change how you use weapons.

A game of Bronze against each enemy type would give you enough to go on anyway; I'd wager a lot of people in the thread saw things in multiplayer before they did in singleplayer.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

How important it is to finish singleplayer before starting MP? I'd like to give it a run but I haven't seen a lot of the enemy types I'm reading mentioned in the thread yet so I get the impression I'd be a liability at this point.

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP? So far the Mattock and Katana seem outstanding. The Mattock certainly was in ME2 but not the Katana.

No to both. Doctor Spaceman already covered why the weapons are different. For the enemies, the only things you need to know about Cerberus you learn very early or not at all (I'm not even sure the Phantoms have their insta-kill in SP), geth are restricted to only three missions in all of SP and they don't explain a drat thing you can't see with your own eyes, and while Reapers you do get a crash course on in a couple SP missions, they just expect you to learn from doing there too. The only thing you really ought to know before finding it out firsthand is that you don't want to be in hugging distance of Banshees. They do not give nice hugs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So after about 3 million credits spent on this stupid DLC I finally got the Demolisher, and I don't know what to do with her. Is taking the bonus grenades on her passive a waste of time? I sure do like having 10 grenades with the grenade gear equipped, but it seems like overkill and the class itself is not quite as durable as the Destroyer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Felinoid posted:

The only thing you really ought to know before finding it out firsthand is that you don't want to be in hugging distance of Banshees. They do not give nice hugs.
Also that Assault Troopers and Geth Troopers will stomp on downed players they come across, instantly taking them out for the rest of the wave.

Man, some nights you buy 4 PSPs, and the most exciting thing you get from them is AR Extended Barrel 4.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rick posted:

I don't get what's unreliable about the projectiles, you don't even really have to aim either throw or warp.
Lag making all your Throws sail right through enemies and into an alternate dimension.

SubponticatePoster posted:

edit: OK, maybe he's hacking or something because he's been grabbed by a banshee twice now and she's completed the animation and he doesn't die.
Saw one guy do that once, and he was almost certainly hacking because he was able to just dodge out of banshee grabs four times in a row.

Thundercloud posted:

I've upped my standard game to Silver because I'm finding Bronze ridiculously easy, but I'm not sure if I've got the stuff for Gold. I was searching for a Bronze game earlier, and got dumped in Gold with my lvl 10 Justicar. I was the only biotic, couldn't detonate anything myself, and got 15 revives running round keeping people upright
Personally, I don't go into gold at level 10, but is your bubble specced for Warp? If you haven't leveled that far yet, it might be worth a few rounds of Silver to get that. Despite the potential for immortal hard-punching Batarians, I prefer to be able to blow things up by myself at least some of the time.

Also, if you're used to doing Silver without equipment, throwing consumables on for Gold makes it a pretty small jump in difficulty. Still can't be careless about being out of cover, but it's not as huge a leap as it used to be.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's still the bug with grabs and slopes / stairs isn't there?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I can't recall if anyone specifically posted a fix for this, but if your friends list is blank or won't connect after the Origin update (PC) you can fix it. I was having a hard time making it work and another goon found the fix - change your Origin password, then log out and back on with the new one. I spent about an hour being frustrated with it until I did this, and it fixed the friends list issue immediately.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think I'm gonna need a video of how to play the fury or something. I keep hearing about you guys running through groups of guys, turning around, and detonating them all. Then I try it and wind up dying because I can't detonate everyone fast enough. Do enemies only stay primed as long as they're in my annihilation field, or is there something I'm missing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think that's the case, yeah. Might be a tiny bit of leeway (lagway), but it's still high-risk/high-reward approach a lot of the time.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
The crucial thing, I've found, is to take the movement speed buff from Annihilation Field and the radius evolution of Throw.

Being able to get beside enemies before they can shoot at you is a lot easier when you're as fast as a juiced-up Drell, and the AOE Throw ensures you barely have to aim. Toss is at the wrong enemy or even the ground and you're almost guaranteed a biotic explosion anyway, which will stagger the crowd and set you up for another.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stasis is still useful, and the AA is a better at combos in some ways (more damage at range).

I think this is a big thing for AA vs Fury.

I played a lot of AA then quit for a few months and unlocked the Fury shortly after I came back. Fury feels devastating at point blank, but somewhat inadequate at range. At range dark channel > throw feels really lacking in damage compared to warp > Throw although I'm not sure if that's actually the case since it's been a long time since I played.

I also forgot how amazingly useful stasis is in the time I was away. Definitely still worth having an AA on the team for just being able to plant a bubble in a choke point and nuke most things touching it. As an AA I never feel too concerned with things like phantoms or guardians and overall I never feel I'm putting myself in the line of fire nearly as much as you have to with the Fury.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

duffath posted:

At range dark channel > throw feels really lacking in damage compared to warp > Throw although I'm not sure if that's actually the case since it's been a long time since I played.
Dark Channel is slightly quicker to recharge than Warp, but you miss a damage bonus from Warp, plus a Biotic Explosion bonus. It's enough for me to notice on something like a Gold Brute or Ravager.

But they're both two of my favourite classes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh, yeah, I end up hosting a good percentage of the time, which may be why I have such luck with projectiles (well, the AA projectiles. Cryo and incinerate probably are about 50% against little things on gold) . I rarely set out to host but I always end up the host when the host inevitably leaves 3 seconds before the hack is complete.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think I'm gonna need a video of how to play the fury or something. I keep hearing about you guys running through groups of guys, turning around, and detonating them all. Then I try it and wind up dying because I can't detonate everyone fast enough. Do enemies only stay primed as long as they're in my annihilation field, or is there something I'm missing?

In my limited experience yes, you need to be in range of the annihilation sphere's effect as it doesn't seem to be a permanent prime. I'll just get into close range somehow and spam throw at anything that is primed. What you can also do is dark channel > Throw on a target to detonate and then re-prime and detonate a second time once you get in range of the sphere. When I run with the fury I take a Disciple with me as my only weapon. I find I don't need it that often to be honest, but it has good damage and staggers targets, potentially buying me a little more time or another kill.

It's also good to remember that if you kill the target you are channeling it'll jump to something else. It's not mentioned but I think it needs to be within a specific range. Regardless of whether that's true or not watch to see if you can see where the effect has jumped to because that target has just been primed for detonation. I've ran down a corridor following a dark channel hopping just spamming throw and killing something each time (maybe with an occasional shotgun blast to finish it off)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Channel is slightly quicker to recharge than Warp, but you miss a damage bonus from Warp, plus a Biotic Explosion bonus. It's enough for me to notice on something like a Gold Brute or Ravager.

But they're both two of my favourite classes.

Yeah seconding that. I love the biotic classes for the damage output. Damage-wise Fury feels more like crowd control whereas AA is single target nuking, but it's great that I can throw dark channel on something like a Banshee on the other side of the map, forget about it while I clear an approaching swarm and I'm helping to soften the harder targets up by the time they get into range. AA doesn't necessarily have better space control with stasis, but it's certainly a safer more effective way to hold a choke against non-armoured. I suppose in situations vs Armoured the Fury can at least output good damage with powers and shotguns by dancing around just out of sync kill range, but you've still got to put your rear end on the line versus any support troops stasis isn't going to catch.

duffath fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 13, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Mr Dog posted:

If this was a few days ago and you were using a Reegar then I think I was one of those garbage pubs :shobon:

Uhh it was the day I posted it, but there was another Kroguard in the team with a Reegar (I had a Piranha). He was the next highest scorer.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

How important it is to finish singleplayer before starting MP? I'd like to give it a run but I haven't seen a lot of the enemy types I'm reading mentioned in the thread yet so I get the impression I'd be a liability at this point.

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP? So far the Mattock and Katana seem outstanding. The Mattock certainly was in ME2 but not the Katana.

The Katana is a decent gun. It's easy to get to level 10 by buying recruit packs. If you play the multiplayer long enough you'll eventually obsolete it though, it was my goto shotgun ffor quite some time when starting out though. The Mattock is actually slightly better in MP and is one of the best assualt rifles in the game. It's an uncommon as well so it's easier to get than the shittier rare guns.

As for enemies I'd say jump in if you want to. Start at bronze and buy recruit packs to level your starter guns and get a feel for MP and the enemies. I actually finished the singleplayer before jumping in and it doesn't really prepare you very well at all. MP is pure combat and it wasn't until I dove into it that I really started to get good at this game. I finished the SP on hardcore as an adept using a locust for my SMG and without knowing that you could start a combo with warp.

Also what platform are you on? You'll get better quicker by playing with goons, so post your tag or id and get on some friends lists.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
My Origin friends list is mostly fixed, except there's this one guy who's entirely invisible to me. He's not on my friends list, but I can see him through mutual friends. I can't send him messages, but Origin still counts us as friends so I can't just try to re-friend him, and it spits up an error if I try to unfriend. We're also friends on steam so I've confirmed that he can't see me either. As far as I can tell he's the only person on my list that this has happened to.

:psyduck:

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
A noobish question: will Sabotage's tech vulnerability evolution give the debuff to anything or only targets that can be hacked?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

deadking posted:

A noobish question: will Sabotage's tech vulnerability evolution give the debuff to anything or only targets that can be hacked?

Anything and everything. Sabotage damage used to be so good, now it's just pretty OK.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

SP and MP require two completely different playstyles, the biggest difference coming from the lack of time slowdown/pause, forcing you to think fast and play much more aggressively overall. Apart from one or two missions near the end, SP is generally much much easier as well (okay, the upper difficulty levels may be somewhat comparable to Bronze). Whether you finish SP or not is basically of no consequence, as it doesn't prepare you for the things important to MP at all. Once you start comfortably dominating Bronze, anything SP throws at you will seem like a bad joke anyway.

The weapons are... not really comparable. Since SP is so much easier, a lot of the weapons outright didn't work beyond Bronze (and some still don't), requiring them to be buffed considerably to be not completely worthless. MP has also introduced a few weapons (especially with the Earth DLC) that completely and utterly dominate all others, making the original weapons look even more like peashooters. Granted, those are generally weapons with high rarity, so it's not that easy to get them if you're unlucky with the packs.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If anything, don't you kind of HAVE to play MP first before finishing SP in order to get your Galactic Preparedness maxed out or whatever? I know that they lowered the EMS threshold for the "good" ending now, but isn't 100% completion still needed for all the Completionist type stuff in the game?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Vietnamwees posted:

If anything, don't you kind of HAVE to play MP first before finishing SP in order to get your Galactic Preparedness maxed out or whatever? I know that they lowered the EMS threshold for the "good" ending now, but isn't 100% completion still needed for all the Completionist type stuff in the game?

The threshold has been lowered enough that you can get the best ending without multiplayer as long as you do all of the planet scanning.

SirViver posted:

The weapons are... not really comparable. Since SP is so much easier, a lot of the weapons outright didn't work beyond Bronze (and some still don't), requiring them to be buffed considerably to be not completely worthless. MP has also introduced a few weapons (especially with the Earth DLC) that completely and utterly dominate all others, making the original weapons look even more like peashooters. Granted, those are generally weapons with high rarity, so it's not that easy to get them if you're unlucky with the packs.

Weapons in singleplayer are also easily upgradeable and have much more potent versions of ammo powers. Explosive burst incendiary ammo basically makes every lovely gun into a powerhouse.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Semisponge posted:

My Origin friends list is mostly fixed, except there's this one guy who's entirely invisible to me. He's not on my friends list, but I can see him through mutual friends. I can't send him messages, but Origin still counts us as friends so I can't just try to re-friend him, and it spits up an error if I try to unfriend. We're also friends on steam so I've confirmed that he can't see me either. As far as I can tell he's the only person on my list that this has happened to.

:psyduck:

Your friend probably should try updating their password in Origin. I know that when my list was buggered, my pals couldn't see me either until I fixed it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SirViver posted:

Once you start comfortably dominating Bronze, anything SP throws at you will seem like a bad joke anyway.

Before the release of the EC I did a quick playthrough of Insanity with an under-leveled character. I think I must've been around level 10 before hitting Mars, and it took me about 30 minutes to clear the part where the tram stops and Cerberus starts pouring out of the garage ahead of you. The only weapon I had equipped on my Adept was an Eagle I, with no piercing mods :shepface: Guardians were just tearing me to pieces and unlike MP my teammates were absolutely worthless.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's still the bug with grabs and slopes / stairs isn't there?

As far as I can tell, yes. I've only been grabbed once on stairs in the last 3 weeks... And I was exactly level with a banshee. As long as you're at a different height from the banshee, I don't think that you can be grabbed.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

nacon posted:

As far as I can tell, yes. I've only been grabbed once on stairs in the last 3 weeks... And I was exactly level with a banshee. As long as you're at a different height from the banshee, I don't think that you can be grabbed.

I had a bit of a start on London when using my BatSOl to Falcon Punch a Banshee over and over again in the crotch while she screamed at me and did nothing. I suddenly stopped moving, and for a few seconds I couldn't do anything and she stopped moving and I thought the kill animation was going to play but then the magic moment just passed and I punched her again.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

1st AD posted:

Before the release of the EC I did a quick playthrough of Insanity with an under-leveled character. I think I must've been around level 10 before hitting Mars, and it took me about 30 minutes to clear the part where the tram stops and Cerberus starts pouring out of the garage ahead of you. The only weapon I had equipped on my Adept was an Eagle I, with no piercing mods :shepface: Guardians were just tearing me to pieces and unlike MP my teammates were absolutely worthless.

You were playing as an adept. One rank of pull would have solved the guardian problem.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah that was my first adjustment, but it still didn't fix the fact that Liara and Kaidan at that level are terrible and will never jump out of the way of a grenade.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Save up space monies for a PSP spree. End up being unable to control self, and justify starting to buy them after saving enough for two because "it'll help me grind money faster". Buy a PSP. Space monies deplete. No items show up. What the gently caress, says I. Buy another. Space monies deplete. No items show up. Holy poo poo.

Origin Live Chat help: "Yes, we see that you have purchased these two PSPs. You don't have any items?"

Me: "No dude."

Origin Live Chat help: "Oh yes, I can see that you don't have them :facepalm:. Just wait a while, they will come."

Me: "Dude, I've waited like two hours already."

Origin Live Chat help: "Yes yes, just be patient."

Me: "BITCH THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE INSTANT, DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT INSTANT MEANS?"

Origin Live Chat help: "No no, it's not supposed to be instant."

Me: "WHAT THE CHRIST IT WAS INSTANT YESTERDAY, THE DAY BEFORE, AND EVERY OTHER DAY AGHAHDGHASHDHADSGHASHDGHASFGHDSFHGDFDSGDG'

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Why wouldn't it be instant?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

1st AD posted:

Yeah that was my first adjustment, but it still didn't fix the fact that Liara and Kaidan at that level are terrible and will never jump out of the way of a grenade.

Yeah the teammates in singleplayer are pretty silly about grenades and to be fair mars can be pretty goddamn awkward with a nonimport character since you can have pretty major gaps in your skills.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why wouldn't it be instant?

No clue. It finally came through about 30 minutes later. Aaand I got an N7 Paladin! I don't have any guns really worth using for him yet, but any ideas/links for a build?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

No clue. It finally came through about 30 minutes later. Aaand I got an N7 Paladin! I don't have any guns really worth using for him yet, but any ideas/links for a build?
It's generally recommended to go 6 Energy Drain, 3 or 4 Incinerate (because it's not very good), 6 Snap Freeze (specifically with Reach), at least 4 Paladin/Fury (obviously taking Power Damage), and 6 Shield Mastery (with the Cryo Shield).

Something like this...
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#35KDRIR@0@0AA@@@0@0@0@0

You can bump Incinerate up to 4 and drop down Paladin/Fury, but Incinerate just isn't that good of a power for most situations. It will set off your combo explosions and that's about it.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Anyone got some good tips on justicar builds? Both powers and weapons not entirely sure of what the best bang for my buck is in gold.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Diplomaticus posted:

Grab the lightest guns with some punch that you have so you can get your cooldown high, or grab just a piranha if you end up deciding you like to use your shield to smack things a lot.

Snap freeze is a great power. Prepare for more cryo explosions than any other class gives by a large margin.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

duffath posted:

Anyone got some good tips on justicar builds? Both powers and weapons not entirely sure of what the best bang for my buck is in gold.

Here's the build.

For biotic sphere you can spec it defensively instead but if you do then keep the warp effect since it'll prime anything wandering into the bubble for a Reave detonation. Also while I strongly recommend taking pull some people hate it and prefer to skip it and max the passive instead. If you do take the headshot bonus at rank 5 because the power bonus is bugged and doesn't actually do anything.

As for weapons you'll need to balance effectiveness with weight. You don't need a +200% weight bonus but you do want to go below +100% so stick to one gun and avoid the really heavy options like the Javelin and you'll be fine. I use a Talon (scope and piercing are a must for mods) on mine; it's fantastic but it's an ultrarare so you may not have it. The Mattock is also great choice and is pretty easy to get. If you have a Piranha it is light enough for the Justicar and at close range it will destroy poo poo at an ungodly rate so you could go with that as well.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Here's the build.

For biotic sphere you can spec it defensively instead but if you do then keep the warp effect since it'll prime anything wandering into the bubble for a Reave detonation. Also while I strongly recommend taking pull some people hate it and prefer to skip it and max the passive instead. If you do take the headshot bonus at rank 5 because the power bonus is bugged and doesn't actually do anything.

As for weapons you'll need to balance effectiveness with weight. You don't need a +200% weight bonus but you do want to go below +100% so stick to one gun and avoid the really heavy options like the Javelin and you'll be fine. I use a Talon (scope and piercing are a must for mods) on mine; it's fantastic but it's an ultrarare so you may not have it. The Mattock is also great choice and is pretty easy to get. If you have a Piranha it is light enough for the Justicar and at close range it will destroy poo poo at an ungodly rate so you could go with that as well.

Almost the same build funnily enough. Thanks for the input though! 2 things I'm unsure about

Is there any worth in 75% vs barriers and armour for rank 6 reave? I feel it's helpful versus hard targets but if I'm missing out on a lot of other stuff then It'd be good to know how much.

The other difference is Pull is at rank 4 versus Rank 5 passive....15% versus an AOE on pull....Is there an issue with that because pull has such a low cool-down couldn't you just spam it as easily and get an extra 15% on power damage?

edit: any info on the acolyte? Seems like great anti shield/barrier support or is it just me? currently running a disciple and an acolyte on this build for a cooldown of 154% Sound okay?

duffath fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 13, 2012

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Pull is pretty crap so I wouldn't ever bother raising it to 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The rank 5 passive is bugged and wont give you any damage bonuses. Also this was discussed literally a few pages back but pull is very subjective and some people hate it and spec out of it completely while others cant do without it.

Personally I dont use it and prefer taking the passive to 6 despite the bug. The decreased assault rifle weight means I can use the Harrier while still being quite casty too.

• Locked thread