Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Homeland is a great series for binging through, at least for me, because I can't watch more than two episodes at a time since it's so heavy.

Also blowing through NTSF:SD:SUV:: at a pretty good clip. It's not in the same league as Children's Hospital but I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm in the middle of season three of The Wire. I love the first season, but the second season was strange.

What was the point of the human trafficking storyline anyway? I thought that it was kind of strange and had nothing to do with the first season and all the normal stuff that they did in the first season. I'm glad to see that they went back to the thing that they did in the first at the start of the third.

Almost done with Married with Children. God, it's amazingly funny and has some of the best cameos that I've ever seen. Also, Vanna White and Joey Lauren Adams where both hot back in the early 90s.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm in the middle of season three of The Wire. I love the first season, but the second season was strange.

What was the point of the human trafficking storyline anyway? I thought that it was kind of strange and had nothing to do with the first season and all the normal stuff that they did in the first season. I'm glad to see that they went back to the thing that they did in the first at the start of the third.

The more you watch the show, the more you'll understand the show is not just about cops and drug dealers.

But to directly answer your question, the second season is the death of the working class.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Exploder posted:

Finally finished 24, and was surprised by the quality of seasons 7 and 8. After seasons 1 and 2, they are the next best. Now that I'm done with 24, I am finally going to loving do it. I'm going to watch :lost: for the first time. God help me.

God help you indeed. I finished 24 a few weeks ago as well and don't think I could jump into another 200+ hour series right after. Lost is a fun ride, and it'll be nice to give the middle finger to every BS cliffhanger as you immediately skip to the next episode.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Been watching The Pacific, it's alright. Band of Brothers is one of my favorite things on film so I thought I would love The Pacific but it's kind of a drag. I just finished Part 5 and I don't like any of the characters except for the Sergeant who burns himself on the machine gun and is now selling war bonds back in America. I loved every single character in Band of Brothers, every single one no matter how small their role was, so the drop off in The Pacific is kind of jarring. Is it just me?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. The Pacific is a big disappointment.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Random, are there any plans to ever do a Band of Brothers: "North Africa"?

That campaign is one of my favorite parts of WWII (that sounds wrong but you know what I mean). I've only the first two episodes of BoB so apologies if it's covered there.

ultramagnetic
Aug 3, 2012

Exploder posted:

I am finally going to loving do it. I'm going to watch :lost: for the first time. God help me.

I urge you not to. And whatever you do, do not watch Alias. I made the mistake of doing that when heard that Abrams was directing Star Trek. God drat is Alias terrible.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

ultramagnetic posted:

I urge you not to. And whatever you do, do not watch Alias. I made the mistake of doing that when heard that Abrams was directing Star Trek. God drat is Alias terrible.

Don't listen to this guy, seasons 1-4 of Lost are some pretty great tv. The internet echo chamber has turned 1 bad season of Lost, 1 iffy season and 4 good to great seasons into "HOLY poo poo LOST KILLED MY FAMILY AND poo poo IN MY MOUTH AAAAAAH."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pron on VHS posted:

Been watching The Pacific, it's alright. Band of Brothers is one of my favorite things on film so I thought I would love The Pacific but it's kind of a drag. I just finished Part 5 and I don't like any of the characters except for the Sergeant who burns himself on the machine gun and is now selling war bonds back in America. I loved every single character in Band of Brothers, every single one no matter how small their role was, so the drop off in The Pacific is kind of jarring. Is it just me?
No, it's not just you. I didn't care for The Pacific at all despite feverishly looking forward to it. The general consensus at the time IIRC was that it suffered too much from trying to implement three different books and main characters, where as BoB followed a single company who pretty much were involved in every major operation in Europe. There's no single cohesive narrative to follow in The Pacific. I don't know how it could have been done differently without wholly making stuff up.

That's still no excuse though for the embarrassment that was "Melbourne" and "Iwo Jima". Just truly wretched television, those episodes.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Don't listen to this guy, seasons 1-4 of Lost are some pretty great tv. The internet echo chamber has turned 1 bad season of Lost, 1 iffy season and 4 good to great seasons into "HOLY poo poo LOST KILLED MY FAMILY AND poo poo IN MY MOUTH AAAAAAH."

I'd say one terrible season of Lost did that (with or without the echo chamber) as the final one it was able to spit up everything as useless, simultaneously while introducing more awesome things and building them up to be entirely useless. gently caress season 6 was awful.

Especially on the heels of Season 4 and (my far far favorite) Season 5 where you think the show is heading this totally awesome direction and completely free now from past show inhibitions and bogged down plotting mistakes and then.... THUMP. Also I want an Eko chamber.

ultramagnetic
Aug 3, 2012

No, I just don't think it's worth starting from the beginning. Maybe I'm committing the sunk cost fallacy but this is always what I tell people who haven't watched any of it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yes yes yes we've had years of people whining about Lost and BSG, perhaps it's time to let it go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nate RFB posted:

No, it's not just you. I didn't care for The Pacific at all despite feverishly looking forward to it. The general consensus at the time IIRC was that it suffered too much from trying to implement three different books and main characters, where as BoB followed a single company who pretty much were involved in every major operation in Europe. There's no single cohesive narrative to follow in The Pacific. I don't know how it could have been done differently without wholly making stuff up.

That's still no excuse though for the embarrassment that was "Melbourne" and "Iwo Jima". Just truly wretched television, those episodes.

They could have done a show just on EB Sledge. If they also used his book about China it could have filled out 10 episodes. I didn't give a flying gently caress about Basilone or Leckie in the show because they were done so badly. The Leckie actor was terrible and all of Basilone's heroics were shown in the dark so you couldn't see what was happening.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I've only seen the pilot and I'm a little into the second episode, but is the point of Treme to show that everyone in New Orleans is a huge rear end in a top hat, and the hurricane was God smiting the city like Sodom and Gomorrah for its hubris?

Although, because it's David Simon, God's wrath was like any institutional failure, and ended up killing off the good people and leaving a bigger concentration of assholes behind.

manwhostaresatgoats
Nov 30, 2008

Don't mind me making sweeping generalizations about certain ethnicities.

I am certainly not a xenophobic shithead who has kneejerk reactions to shit I read in the media.

I am a level-headed person I swear.
You all should probably watch Hell on Wheels from AMC.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

manwhostaresatgoats posted:

You all should probably watch Hell on Wheels from AMC.

This. It was the best new show of last year for me and will be awesome this season too.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

They could have done a show just on EB Sledge. If they also used his book about China it could have filled out 10 episodes. I didn't give a flying gently caress about Basilone or Leckie in the show because they were done so badly. The Leckie actor was terrible and all of Basilone's heroics were shown in the dark so you couldn't see what was happening.
I agree with you about the way Basilone was done in this series but they could/could have done a series based on the John Basilone book" I'm staying with my boys" and it would have been perfect. All the great heroism of the period and it's much more linear which is what band lacked. Great read if you haven't allready. I enjoyed it allmost as much as Sledge's books.
But anyway my wife and I burned through all 3 available on DVD seasons of Sons Of Anarchy in about 3 weeks. It's pretty awful sometimes and even worse as someone who actually rides motorcycles but we're both hooked. All the goofy unbelievable stuff is easier to overlook because Ron Pearlman and Katy Sagal are fantastic. Season 4 is out later this month and we can't wait.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 14, 2012

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where have all these gigantic Hell on Wheels fans come from all of a sudden? I never saw anyone who liked it until about two weeks ago and now people are crawling out of the woodwork to praise it. I guess it found its audience on Netflix.

text
Mar 12, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I've only seen the pilot and I'm a little into the second episode, but is the point of Treme to show that everyone in New Orleans is a huge rear end in a top hat, and the hurricane was God smiting the city like Sodom and Gomorrah for its hubris?

Although, because it's David Simon, God's wrath was like any institutional failure, and ended up killing off the good people and leaving a bigger concentration of assholes behind.

I've just binged through the first two seasons and I can only think of one 'major' character I dislike. They all have their flaws but I find myself hoping for the best for them (and the city). Except for one (who you won't have encountered yet).

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I just shotgunned Hit & Miss. It's the most camp, exploitative, overstuffed premise for a show I've ever heard: Chloe Sevigny plays a transsexual hitwoman who inherits a house full of chavs. It's saved because (for the most part) it plays the material completely straight, to the point where most of what happens actually makes sense. It's quite a feat!

Well, there are a few scenes that are far too ridiculous to work, but in my opinion they weren't enough to sink the show as a whole.

Sevigny nails the part. The supporting cast was pretty good, too, including the children.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

I'm halfway through season 5 so far (yeah, I have been binging on this show by definition), and I have loved each season so far, for different reasons. My favorite episode BY FAR was The Constant, the one where Desmond slips in and out of time. I am assuming that the last season is the worst? Even if it is, it won't hurt my overall opinion of the first five seasons. I don't have high expectations for any major network series (LOST has far exceeded my expectations), and I accept that even if it is a good series, it will have a bad season or two. That is just how it works. The three or four bad seasons of 24 didn't hurt my opinion of the great seasons.

ultramagnetic posted:

I never planned on watching Alias anyway because Jennifer Garner is an awful actress, but seeing as how you urged me not to watch LOST, I might give a shot sometime.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

jazz babies posted:

WHAT THE gently caress I NEED AN ADULT :cry: :gonk:

Looks like you found it! :v:

I think it's high time I watched Twin Peaks again after seeing that reaction, actually!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I should rewatch it too. I haven't actually seen any of the show after Laura Palmer's killer is revealed.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
Just got through seasons one through four of Breaking Bad. HOLY poo poo it just gets better with each season. I am currently a couple episodes into season five. I am debating waiting till it is complete so that I can binge through the whole season in one season. Decisions...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I should rewatch it too. I haven't actually seen any of the show after Laura Palmer's killer is revealed.

Me neither, from what I've heard it goes downhill from there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think I've tried to rewatch Twin Peaks like at least three times over the past several years, and I can never get very far past the pilot. Maybe I'll make it to Cooper's dream sequence. But the pilot is just so loving amazingly good. It's this incredibly perfect film that's a perfect fusion of Lynchian weirdness/wrongness and an eminently watchable serial drama. A big part for me is the way it's shot, and the way the whole thing looks and feels. The legitimate northwestern wilderness vibe comes across really effectively in the pilot, for obvious reasons given that it was actually filmed there.

And then you get to "episode 1", and while it's still good, it's immediately not at all the same. It feels way more like actual early 90's television, and the deep, dark color palette and depth of the cinematography in the pilot has been traded for something that looks and feels much more like actual television from 1990. Not that it's all bad, I mean, it is a great series, everything considered. But I think I've spoiled myself from only usually watching Fire Walk With Me or the pilot when I want my Twin Peaks fix.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
There are conflicting opinions on it but I personally feel like it's worth watching either way.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

text posted:

I've just binged through the first two seasons and I can only think of one 'major' character I dislike. They all have their flaws but I find myself hoping for the best for them (and the city). Except for one (who you won't have encountered yet).

Finished the first season and most turned out pretty likeable, although I was exaggerating mostly for comedy that pilot still made out everyone to be pretty big jerks. Khandi Alexander's plotline was my favorite (but she's pretty great in everything) and I loved the story with her missing brother. Her lawyer ended up pretty awesome after a rocky first episode too and they fleshed her out, same with the husband, John Goodman, who turned out to my favorite character but thought it was a real dick move to have him off himself pretty needlessly. I saw it coming a few episodes prior because of how he was acting but still didn't like it and don't think the show earned it. I loving hated Steve Zahn most of the time which seemed very intentional although it looked like he might be turning himself around (a little) after his awesome neighbors helped him after he got punched out , but he's still kind of a dick (his "girlfriend" was always cool though). I like Clarke Peters' character a lot too, although he can get grumpy (especially with his son I like too) but he's grumpy in a good way. And obviously "Amsterdam" sucks, but I didn't expect him to suck as much after his did in his intro where he bitches out the Christian youth group rebuilding, but he actually got worse (the girlfriend got way better). Wendel Pierce is pretty interesting, though it's pretty funny when a new kid pops up every other episode.

And somehow I watched the show, knowing all the actors well enough, but never picking up on a single character name. I almost learned Steve Zahn's character's name when it was listed on everything but tried typing "Steve Davis" and realized I forgot the first part.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

kaworu posted:

And then you get to "episode 1", and while it's still good, it's immediately not at all the same. It feels way more like actual early 90's television, and the deep, dark color palette and depth of the cinematography in the pilot has been traded for something that looks and feels much more like actual television from 1990. Not that it's all bad, I mean, it is a great series, everything considered. But I think I've spoiled myself from only usually watching Fire Walk With Me or the pilot when I want my Twin Peaks fix.

It has been a couple of years since I watched the whole series for the first time, but I seem to recall the cinematography being way ahead of it's time, especially in the second season. I think you're right when you contrast the pilot against the rest of the first season, but I recall it getting a lot better. Either way, the plot, themes, and character development was definitely ahead of it's time, and it is amazing that it (barely) survived two seasons in the early 90's.

Goddamn, I want to re-watch this show now. After LOST, I plan on watching Luther, so maybe I will do a re-watch of Twin Peaks after that.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

The last 3-4 episodes of The Pacific are fantastic and you should definitely stick it out.

I didn't like The Pacific as much as Band of Brothers on first run-through, but after watching both series again back-to-back Band of Brothers seemed like weak-sauce compared to The Pacific. What those marines go through in the Pacific makes BoB end up looking like a leisurely stroll through the park.

Seriously though, watch the last couple episodes. poo poo is grim.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Exploder posted:

I'm halfway through season 5 so far (yeah, I have been binging on this show by definition), and I have loved each season so far, for different reasons. My favorite episode BY FAR was The Constant, the one where Desmond slips in and out of time. I am assuming that the last season is the worst? Even if it is, it won't hurt my overall opinion of the first five seasons. I don't have high expectations for any major network series (LOST has far exceeded my expectations), and I accept that even if it is a good series, it will have a bad season or two. That is just how it works. The three or four bad seasons of 24 didn't hurt my opinion of the great seasons.
Yeah, the vast majority of the hate was directed at Season 6, and seemed mostly directed at one certain aspect of Season 6 (albeit one that they devoted a lot of time to). You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

But regardless of my own opinions of the last season of Lost and the last season Battlestar Galactica, I definitely enjoyed both shows enough to recommend them to friends and let them form their opinion of how they ended. Plenty of people liked both.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Lycus posted:

Yeah, the vast majority of the hate was directed at Season 6, and seemed mostly directed at one certain aspect of Season 6 (albeit one that they devoted a lot of time to). You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Two certain aspects, that one, and then another one that's not a spoiler--the cycle of introducing cool concepts and characters and then totally forgetting about them or writing them off an episode later. When that stuff happens between seasons it sort of understandable, but on an episode to episode basis it's really annoying and helps you develop a sense of show-nihilism "oh this new guy? who cares, he'll be gone in two scenes"

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't necessarily have a problem with how Lost ended - I didn't like it, but I didn't dislike it either. It just was. But even disregarding the ending, and some other things, season 6 was pretty bad. It just seemed to discard everything that made the show great in prior seasons in favor of pushing a story that the writers themselves didn't even seem to be sure about. There were some good or possibly even great ideas hidden in all the bullshit, but the writers just seemed to be so blasé at that point that they never bothered to follow through with anything. Most people seem to complain about the lack of answers, or the inadequacy of the answers given, but honestly I couldn't give a poo poo about "answers" - it was the utter lack of follow through and the abandoning of the character drama that made the show great in the first place.

The best part of season 6 was the "alternate timeline" and they stories they got to tell using it. But then it turned out to be bullshit and inconsequential like everything else in the season.

I apologize for furthering Lost chat but I'm really just starting to crystallize these thoughts for the first time. I was nuts about Lost while it was airing, but then as soon as the finale ended, all that enthusiasm just shut off and I never really gave the show another thought. I decided to start rewatching it just recently, but still I haven't really thought about season 6 as a whole until now.

Despite all that, I still think seasons 1-5 were good if not great and are very much worth (re)watching.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I started to watch Alphas, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it, mainly because I find it hard to sympathize with any of the eponymous main characters. They are just so unlikeable, I don't know if it's intentional or if they just rub me the wrong way.
There also seems to be no natural chemistry between them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Flippycunt posted:

The last 3-4 episodes of The Pacific are fantastic and you should definitely stick it out.

I didn't like The Pacific as much as Band of Brothers on first run-through, but after watching both series again back-to-back Band of Brothers seemed like weak-sauce compared to The Pacific. What those marines go through in the Pacific makes BoB end up looking like a leisurely stroll through the park.

Seriously though, watch the last couple episodes. poo poo is grim.
It's not really about who "had it worse", though. The story told in BoB and the cast it involves is simply far more engaging. I like the last few episodes of The Pacific as well but quality of a program is not proportional to how grim it is.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
If you ever wanted the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan to be expanded to an episode and a half, The Pacific is the miniseries for you.

I rather liked The Pacific, though I'm willing to concede that BoB is better objectivity. To me that series helps propagate the sentiment that there can be a Good War, which I've seen too many people take the wrong way. Meanwhile the Pacific hammers in the horrors of war, especially between cultures that have had little to no contact.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The Pacific was definitely less coherent as a series than BoB, but in a sense I think that's unavoidable given the general chaos of the war in the Pacific. It just seems like there was a lot more "everybody go die on this rock for no clear reason" going on there, which is inherently a less satisfying narrative.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I've sort of wanted to start the new Doctor Who for years now, but there just seems like so much to get through. I watched the first several episodes and enjoyed them, but they all just seem a bit too long and a bit too cheesy for me to commit to a few hundred more. I know that there are some real gems of episodes and a lot of great mythology threaded throughout, but I have trouble spending 45 minutes of my time on TV that doesn't strike me as particularly brilliant (the third episode, The Unquiet Dead, hit me with this a bit right when I was still trying to get into the series).

This is also why I stalled out of Fringe (which I've also been meaning to pick up again) during the second season, even though the real parallel universe arc was just starting to pick up steam and enthrall me. I just have a lot of trouble slogging through monster-of-the-week episodes, especially in hour long shows.

On a different note, is the third season of Misfits worth the watch? I enjoy it the most when it's being irreverent and even though the Superhoodie stuff was interesting, I think I far preferred the plotlines of the first season. Does the third still have mostly the same style though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Misfits goes back to the season 1 more episodic style, so if you liked that you should have no problem with it outside of missing Nathan. I personally was very disappointed with how they seemingly pussied out of raising the stakes, but I really like Nathan's replacement.