Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've seen decent Prius' (Prii?) in the 8k to 9k range. Higher miles, but for a Prius not really a big deal as long as the car was taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He wants less than 40k miles.

Alternatively, if you want something more conventionally sized, either a 2008+ Dodge Avenger or 2008+ Nissan Altima will also do the job for very little money. They are both ugly with cheap interiors and mediocre ride/handling but are reliable with decent fuel economy. The Altima has worse crash safety and feels odd with the CVT but is marginally better in most other respects.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

He wants less than 40k miles.

Sure, but point is that mileage really isn't the indicator it used to be. 100k on a Prius is barely getting broken in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've noticed that there are very few Hyundai recommendations when people are asking for inexpensive, reliable, low-mileage late model used cars with good fuel economy. Any particular reason?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, but point is that mileage really isn't the indicator it used to be. 100k on a Prius is barely getting broken in.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to get across to Zorak, if he wants to spend less he can get a Prius with higher miles and still have a very nice car that will be just as reliable as a Prius with lower mileage.

I'll take a high mileage Prius over a low mileage Avenger all day long.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I've noticed that there are very few Hyundai recommendations when people are asking for inexpensive, reliable, low-mileage late model used cars with good fuel economy. Any particular reason?

Honestly, they're very fine cars. They don't hit a lot of people's radar because 1) reliability takes time to develop a rep (the previous gen of all their models were reliable enough, if a bit ugly or bland) and 2) only the recent introduction of models since 2010 have really put everything together (style, mileage, warranty, etc).

As such, you're looking at newish Hyundais which command a newer car premium. Also, Hyundai lacks a car/wagon with AWD which goons apparently go nutty for.

I'd bet money that Hyundai's built today will be the late-80s/early-90s Hondas that last well into the 2020s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, they're very fine cars. They don't hit a lot of people's radar because 1) reliability takes time to develop a rep (the previous gen of all their models were reliable enough, if a bit ugly or bland) and 2) only the recent introduction of models since 2010 have really put everything together (style, mileage, warranty, etc).

As such, you're looking at newish Hyundais which command a newer car premium. Also, Hyundai lacks a car/wagon with AWD which goons apparently go nutty for.

Fair enough.

But, for example, here's the first hit on my local craigslist for "hyundai" (sale by owner only):

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3197717997.html

Well inside Zorak's budget and quite close to his mileage requirement.

I have no opinion as to whether this is a good car, or a good price for this car, of course - just that I was wondering if it's off the Goon radar because they're not cool, or something.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

The years a lot of people were looking at, 2008-ish, was the last few years of the last generation of Hyundais, so essentially you're looking at the last few model years of a body style that designed around 2004, with 2004-era engineering and safety ratings. So why would you buy, say, a 2008-9 Sonata over a 2008-9 Avenger that was actually engineered in 2008? Hyundai's offerings from that era weren't particularly great in most other respects either, reliability was merely "okay", there are relatively fewer dealers, parts are more expensive compared to the domestic marques and on par with the likes of VW, and to top it off they never actually sold that many of them anyway so there aren't that many of them on the used market to choose from compared to Ford and Chevy.

TL;DR: If you had you buy a car from 2006, would you take the E46 M3 or the B7 RS4?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 11, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough.

But, for example, here's the first hit on my local craigslist for "hyundai" (sale by owner only):

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3197717997.html

Well inside Zorak's budget and quite close to his mileage requirement.

I have no opinion as to whether this is a good car, or a good price for this car, of course - just that I was wondering if it's off the Goon radar because they're not cool, or something.

The accents prior to the 2012 model year were 3 door hatches or four door sedans. They got average fuel economy and were reliable enough. However, they were pretty small and most of Zorak's options requirements (A/C and cruise control) were optional of those models.

Compare that with the 2012 which got a big size bump, looks sharp, gets 35 combined MPG and comes with a 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. Also, all but the very base (low volume) model come with a/c, usb, cruise control and like 8 airbags standard. Options include a touch screen system and bluetooth. You could be forgiven for forgetting about the previous generation (and this could be said of most, if not all, of Hyundai's current offerings, not just the Accent).

Would it be impossible to find an older Hyundai that fit his needs? No.
Would he be better served by something a bit more appropriate in the used market? Possibly.
Should he check a new or slightly newer used Hyundai if the price was right? Absolutely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, thanks, that's a pretty comprehensive answer. I appreciate it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not particularly enamored by the new Hyundais either. The buzz around them has mostly centered around how good they are compared to old Hyundais, not compared to everything else, and the domestics have dramatically stepped up their game since 2008-9 as well. I wouldn't take an Elantra over a Cruze or Focus,a Genesis coupe over a Mustang, an Accent/Rio over a Sonic or Fiesta, a Genesis sedan over a 300/Charger, etc.

Actually the only new Hyundai that's really blown me away is the new Azera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUscSPP2yu0

I love the sleek raked profile. I sat in one at the Beijing auto show and the interior is amazing(or maybe I just really hate fake wood on car interiors). If you're looking for a $35k comfy FWD car it's the one to have.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Drewski posted:

Argh I am in a quandary. I can't decide between the 2013 Mazda CX-5 and the 2013 Ford Escape.

It looks like the 5-year total cost of ownership is around $3,000 cheaper for the CX-5. The CX-5 could also be less expensive up-front, although I have access to an X-plan pin to get an Escape at or around invoice which means I can get more features for my bucks. The Escape has some amazing features which the CX-5 doesn't have.

But there are also some pretty serious recalls going on with the Escape and I haven't seen any for the CX-5.

As far as long term maintenance is concerned, 5 years worth of maintenance costs for the Escape are estimated to be $1000 cheaper than the Mazda - can I expect that trend to continue?

Thwomp posted:

Almost completely impossible to predict. Both are brand new models with unknown long-term maintenance issues. The Escape has already had two recalls (the fuel line one being a "get out of the car and let us tow it back" kind of recall) on it. Who knows what will show up later on at 50k+ miles.

Ex. The 2006 Ford Five Hundred was a decent enough large sedan. But when those hit about 60-70k miles, they all had their transmissions go. It was an almost universal thing but no one knew until they all starting hitting those mileages.

I went with the CX-5. I got more features for my buck, and I was able to extend the warranty out to 100k miles. Also the dealership threw in two sets of tires over the life of the vehicle. Very happy with my purchase so far. I am totally digging the bluetooth features and the touchscreen stereo.

edit: Also the Ford Escape felt more like a cockpit than a car. Cool for some, but not for me.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 11, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
e: Nevermind, did more research

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 11, 2012

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Proposed Budget: $8k-$15k
New or Used: Used preferred. Looking for best value.
Body Style: 4 door, generally anything except a van truck or suv
How will you be using the car?: Mostly short driving to and from work, the store, etc. Don't really consider my needs particularly exceptional or abnormal.

What aspects are most important to you? Value. Fuel economy + reliability. Also however much safety is reasonable.

I currently have a 5-speed 2001 Saturn SL2 (90k miles) with an EPA rating of 25/36mpg city/highway and a four star safety rating that I got at $5k and has given me something like 50k miles but it's starting to fall apart.

What I'd really like is a $10-12k car that'll give me >100k miles of minimal maintenance with good mpg and some modern perks such as side curtain airbags.

I've already put in about as much for repairs as my car is worth in the past year, but nothing out there is calling to me as a great deal. Should I just keep my car up until used hybrids become more affordable?

Deus Rex Machina fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can easily afford a used Prius in that price range.

Can a mod please change the thread title to AI meets BFC: Get a Prius

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

leica posted:

You can easily afford a used Prius in that price range.

Can a mod please change the thread title to AI meets BFC: Get a Prius

Is a Prius really a good value? It seems like the initial cost is pretty significant vs. what they save you.

What age/mileage should I be looking for for a good value?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Deus Rex Machina posted:

Is a Prius really a good value? It seems like the initial cost is pretty significant vs. what they save you.

Aside from the gas mileage, they're rock solid reliable. Long term battery issues still aren't well understood but if you can find a used one, they're great. Not so much for speed and handling though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deus Rex Machina posted:

They are a great used value IMO, new is a different story although I don't know what they're going for new these days. Just look for one that was well taken care of, records/receipts clean carfax yadda yadda. You should be able to find a one owner Prius pretty easily.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Priuses have dropped in cost over the years, even new. I remember them (maybe incorrectly) being like 40k new when they started, but now they start at like 24k.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Proposed Budget: $20,000-ish (absolute max "out the door" $25,000)
New or Used: New or CPO used with low miles
Body Style: 4 door compact/midsize sedan/hatchback(/wagon?)
How will you be using the car?: Commuting
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage, reliability, ability to fit 4 adults reasonably comfortably.

My dad is looking in to replacing his current car (a 2002 Saturn SL1 with 200k miles) so he can give it to my brother. He has a very long commute (120 miles per day, at least 4 days per week) which is about 10% city, 10% stop-and-go, and 80% open highway so high highway fuel economy is at the top of his shopping list. He also doesn't want a car that will start nickle-and-diming him on repairs once the warranty expires. Ideally he'd like to keep whatever he buys for at least 10 years/250k miles (to amortize the cost of buying new). As a distant third requirement, he wants a car that can fit 4 adults with reasonable comfort because his current car doesn't do that very well. Cargo versatility would be a plus, but not a requirement.

He was initially looking at the following cars:
Ford Focus, Fusion
Chevy Cruze, Malibu
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Elantra, Sonata

At my suggestion he's also added these cars to his shopping list:
Honda Fit
Mazda 3 (SkyActiv)

I've also strongly suggested he look at a Prius but he is equally-strongly not interested in one. Are we missing any obvious choices here? Do any of these stand out as good or bad choices based on his requirements?

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 13, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
With that budget and those really general guidelines, he's probably best off with a compact sedan or a hatchback if he really wants the cargo room.

In the compact arena, each automaker is trying to establish their own space.
Ford wants to be just a bit sportier than expected from a Big 3 automaker.
Chevrolet wants to provide good comfort and amenities along with a no-frills driving experience.
Dodge has a new compact (Dart) that's big on style and sportiness with maybe a bit less on space/room.
Honda still wants to be everything to everyone and the Civic manages to do that but does little to inspire.
Mazda's 3 is...well a Mazda (sporty, good handling).
Hyundai wants to give you the best bang for your buck.

With so much highway mileage, a Hyundai Elantra may actually hit the EPA highway mileage quote (40mpg) depending on driving style. The Cruze/Focus/Dart all need an extra trim/package for their highest mileage ratings but are still perfectly acceptable cars. If he can cope with a little less room, a Mazda3 with the skyactiv engine should get close to 40MPG on the highway too.

If he wants to go down a class, he can get more car perks and just as good mileage (if he likes extra perks like sunroofs, touch screens, and the like). The Fit, Sonic, Accent, and Rio are all excellent offerings with good cargo room.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 13, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr.Radar posted:

Proposed Budget: $20,000-ish (absolute max "out the door" $25,000)
New or Used: New or CPO used with low miles
Body Style: 4 door compact/midsize sedan/hatchback(/wagon?)
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage, reliability, ability to fit 4 adults reasonably comfortably.

My dad is looking in to replacing his current car (a 2002 Saturn SL1 with 200k miles) so he can give it to my brother. He has a very long commute (120 miles per day, at least 4 days per week) which is about 10% city, 10% stop-and-go, and 80% open highway so high highway fuel economy is at the top of his shopping list. He also doesn't want a car that will start nickle-and-diming him on repairs once the warranty expires. Ideally he'd like to keep whatever he buys for at least 10 years/250k miles (to amortize the cost of buying new). As a distant third requirement, he wants a car that can fit 4 adults with reasonable comfort because his current car doesn't do that very well. Cargo versatility would be a plus, but not a requirement.

He was initially looking at the following cars:
Ford Focus, Fusion
Chevy Cruze, Malibu
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Elantra, Sonata

At my suggestion he's also added these cars to his shopping list:
Honda Fit
Mazda 3 (SkyActiv)

I've also strongly suggested he look at a Prius but he is equally-strongly not interested in one. Are we missing any obvious choices here? Do any of these stand out as good or bad choices based on his requirements?

I think you're better off with a slightly used car instead of a new one, since the Mazda3 Skyactiv is new for this year you won't find it used. I'd take the Cruze Eco if fuel economy is your top priority, gets 42mpg on the highway and is otherwise a nice car.

Another consideration would be a slightly used Ford Fusion hybrid. It's not a Prius. Ford's application of the hybrid system is similar to the Toyota's in principle but superior in many respects, and by all accounts it drives better, has a nice interior and is a "real car".

http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/fusion-hybrid/2011/review?carid=1111803008&artid=136776

http://www.autos.ca/ford/day-by-day-review-2011-ford-fusion-hybrid/3/

The highway mileage is respectable although city driving is where hybrids shine. People in Hybrids also are able to get better than rated fuel economy by smartly applying the regenerative braking, since unlike the dynos where they run their fuel economy rating tests, highways have traffic on them and people use their brakes.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Stupid question: is Mazda rust still an issue? I'm thinking of getting a new Mazda 3 hatchback but concerned about long-term corrosion and resale since I live in Minnesota.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Thanks for the advice guys! :) I'll pass it along to my dad.

wide stance posted:

Stupid question: is Mazda rust still an issue? I'm thinking of getting a new Mazda 3 hatchback but concerned about long-term corrosion and resale since I live in Minnesota.

As a fellow Minnesotan I'd like to know this too. I definitely wouldn't want to recommend my dad a car that will rust out on him prematurely (by the standards of today's cars). Also, in general, do "rust proofing" treatments actually do any good?

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 14, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well there's no way for us to know for certain until today's Mazdas become old cars?

IIRC VW/Audi (and by extension Porsche I suppose) have fully galvanized bodies and 12 year anti-perforation warranties, and are generally known for being fairly resistant to rust.

So, for $25k, you could get a 2007-ish A8L with the base 4.2l V8? Those have aluminium bodies as well, for good measure, so they'll probably never rust, ever. Make sure you get the air suspension.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A loving long wheelbase A8 for someone who is interested in compact to midsize entry level sedans? With air suspension for the maximum destroyed bank account factor?

Seriously, no.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

A loving long wheelbase A8 for someone who is interested in compact to midsize entry level sedans? With air suspension for the maximum destroyed bank account factor?

Seriously, no.

Obvious troll reply is obvious.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

sandoz posted:

Proposed Budget: $10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Compact
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work, 40 mi/day
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, somewhat more power than the average econobox

So I'm at the point right now where my Mk. IV GTI is going to cost more to fix than it's currently worth. I'm still not 100% sold on replacing rather than repairing it, because my budget frankly isn't quite enough to get something newer that is as powerful and comfortable.

I'm not really interested in another VW at this point, so I've been looking at the Impreza 2.5RS for example. However they are pretty rare in New England and I am honestly at a loss as far as what other cars to consider. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Well nobody has responded to this yet, but I've upped my budget to around $15k and I'm considering a 4-door Civic Si. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sandoz posted:

Well nobody has responded to this yet, but I've upped my budget to around $15k and I'm considering a 4-door Civic Si. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

I have a 2008 Honda Civic (not Si) that I bought new. It just eclipsed 50k miles on it and I've had the normal maintenance done including tires at 40k and recently the pads. I will probably get a new battery before this winter.

In short, I love the car. By myself, it has enough power that I don't notice a lack of it, but with 4 people it really dogs in an uphill situation. I am sure the Si is much better in that respect.

I also replaced the all weather goodyears with a more aggressive tread all weathers. The gas mileage went down a bit. Of course I did it before last winter and it happened to be super warm and I drove in the snow all of 3 times. The stock tires suck on the snow (but the Si might be different, I don't remember)

The only other complaint I have with the car is that the paint or clear coat scratches really easily. Don't ever go through an automatic car wash. Putting any bag on the car and moving it across the surface will leave marks. Even if its groceries.

The interior of the car is a bit smaller than others at the Civic's price point. I don't mind, and my 6'1" 175lb frame fits fine to drive.

If you buy it used, make sure to get the radio reset code with the car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sandoz posted:

If the GTI is your thing how about the Cobalt SS Turbo?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Proposed Budget: $3-5k
Body Style: Truck
How will you be using the car?: To haul poo poo around in.
What aspects are most important to you? Not having to worry about too major of repairs. Don't care about A/C, radio, whatever, as long as it can haul poo poo.

Me and my fiancee are starting to do a lot of farming and gardening work, and hauling poo poo around in our sedans just doesn't cut it. We want something with a bed that we can haul mulch/compost/big tools in. It probably doesn't need to be a giant truck, something more like those Toyota trucks gardeners always have.

Only issue is we don't know much about car shopping. We know we need an automatic, and we figure AWD would be nice to get just in case. We don't want to get something that needs a lot of work just to run, but we don't care about luxury poo poo or things like scratches or whatever, because this will be driven just when we need it to haul things.

So my questions are:

A) What features are essential? Automatic because we don't know or care to learn stick, and AWD in case we are hauling through lovely conditions? Anything else we would really want to look for in something like this?

B) What do we need to be on the look out for when we purchase one? We live in PA so rust is always a potential problem. Besides that I have no clue. What mileage/age should we start to worry that there will be major transmission/engine issues?

C) Is our budget reasonable? We aren't necessarily that interested in having to do a lot of shopping, so if we have to hit the upper end of it or go a bit over that is okay. Would going to a reputable dealer and seeing their used stuff be a safer bet than a private buyer? I know whatever we buy will be old enough to not qualify for certified pre-owned.

D) Any makers/models to avoid/favor?

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
My 02 Honda Accord that I bought used back in May 04 has finally hit the point of diminishing returns at 155k miles and repairs have gotten frequent enough to trade up. I'm looking for any direction on cars I should be looking at as well as recommendations for a good dealer in Austin, TX. I don't need anything immediately, but I'd like to buy sometime before the end of the year.

Price range: around $22k max, preferably around 19k (I plan to pay around $8-10k of that in cash, if that matters)
Format: 4-door sedan, mid-size, around the same size as the 02 Accord. I can sacrifice backseat and cargo room, but prefer a roomy driver seat as I'm thick-legged and 6' tall.
New or Used?: Doesn't matter, but I prefer longevity (hoping to drive it for 6-8 years with little to no problems), so leaning toward new as used prices seem inflated at the moment.
Gas mileage: Another important factor. Would like something better than the 21/28 I have now as I commute a total of 35 miles a day.
Purpose: generally single passenger daily commute. Sometimes with a passenger, but very rarely anyone in the backseat.

I've just started looking and haven't been keeping up with the industry so I'm completely ignorant of what's what. I've started off looking at Hondas and Mazdas.

I love my 02 Honda Accord, so I thought the new Accord was a no-brainer, but they seem to have turned into overpriced, oversized grandparent cars over the past 10 years. They're much bigger than what I have.

Just based on initial research, the Mazda3 is really appealing due to the mpg/features/price, but the driver seat might be too cramped for me. I'll just have to start test driving. Waiting to see what happens with the 2013 Mazda3. Mazda6 might be ok, but mpg is unimpressive and the length is a lot longer than my Accord.

Thanks in advance for any info, I'm starting with nothing here, so anything helps.

Scrot Eel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 16, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chin Strap posted:

What aspects are most important to you? Not having to worry about too major of repairs. Don't care about A/C, radio, whatever, as long as it can haul poo poo.

Me and my fiancee are starting to do a lot of farming and gardening work, and hauling poo poo around in our sedans just doesn't cut it. We want something with a bed that we can haul mulch/compost/big tools in. It probably doesn't need to be a giant truck, something more like those Toyota trucks gardeners always have.

Only issue is we don't know much about car shopping. We know we need an automatic, and we figure AWD would be nice to get just in case. We don't want to get something that needs a lot of work just to run, but we don't care about luxury poo poo or things like scratches or whatever, because this will be driven just when we need it to haul things.

So my questions are:

A) What features are essential? Automatic because we don't know or care to learn stick, and AWD in case we are hauling through lovely conditions? Anything else we would really want to look for in something like this?

B) What do we need to be on the look out for when we purchase one? We live in PA so rust is always a potential problem. Besides that I have no clue. What mileage/age should we start to worry that there will be major transmission/engine issues?

C) Is our budget reasonable? We aren't necessarily that interested in having to do a lot of shopping, so if we have to hit the upper end of it or go a bit over that is okay. Would going to a reputable dealer and seeing their used stuff be a safer bet than a private buyer? I know whatever we buy will be old enough to not qualify for certified pre-owned.

Get the best condition, newest Ford Ranger (or Mazda B series, same truck), you can get.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Proposed Budget: $3-4000 roughly $2500 of which will be in trade in value
New or Used: Used Used Used
Body Style: compact or midsize sedan
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage.

So my girlfriend wants/needs a new car. Earlier this year I bought her a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. She hates it. There's nothing wrong with it that I can't fix but she just hates it. She wants a freaking VW Beetle and we've found quite a few for a good price but AI tells me to stay far away from the first few model years. I've tried pointing her towards other cars but she's pretty determined on getting a Beetle. So what year do they start to not be a total nightmare? I just want her to be happy even if it means suffering through hellish maintenance.
Any input is welcome, any viable NON-PRIUS suggestions are welcome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ you poor man. My niece wanted a Bug and even though we tried to persuade her she got one anyway, and after putting more into it than what it's worth over the span of less than two years, it now needs a new motor. I worked for a shop owner that swore up and down Beetles were the biggest piles of poo poo ever made, just don't do it, it's not worth the novelty trust me.

Buy her a Corolla or Camry, and then tell her to be thankful for having a nice dependable car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love me some German cars but if you are only lookin to spend four grand and you need a reliable commuter may I suggest:

Ford Focus
Mazda Protege
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Cobalt (tremendously lovely build quality but a fundamentally reliable car)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chin Strap posted:

So my questions are:

If you're looking to not spend a bunch of money, AWD is just additional cost up front and poo poo to break in the backend. If it's an option, why not... just avoid driving when the weather is bad enough that AWD would make a difference? (note that this is in the 2-4 inches of snow / freezing rain territory, not OMG rain!!)

I'd recommend a Ford (st)Ranger 2.3 RWD base. But if you are really looking for ultimate reliability, get it in stick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Jesus Christ you poor man. My niece wanted a Bug and even though we tried to persuade her she got one anyway, and after putting more into it than what it's worth over the span of less than two years, it now needs a new motor. I worked for a shop owner that swore up and down Beetles were the biggest piles of poo poo ever made, just don't do it, it's not worth the novelty trust me.

Buy her a Corolla or Camry, and then tell her to be thankful for having a nice dependable car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I love me some German cars but if you are only lookin to spend four grand and you need a reliable commuter may I suggest:

Ford Focus
Mazda Protege
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Cobalt (tremendously lovely build quality but a fundamentally reliable car)

I'm heavily pushing the Focus idea since every Civic and Corolla locally are being sold by delusional people. $10K for a 1994 Civic with 150,000 miles? No thank you.

Here's a Focus I found locally, 2003 ZX3, Auto, 114,000 miles and they're asking $4800 which is still shy of the KBB but Edmunds prices it at $3600. The car is immaculate, no rust or visible dents and the window sticker claims it has a clean Carfax.
This doesn't sound too bad to me, one of my coworkers has a 2002 Focus with 200,000+ miles on it and loves the thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If it has a "window sticker" I assume you're looking at a dealer price?

If so, you should probably assume you're going to negotiate at least 10% off the price. Possibly more, especially if you engage in negotiations two or three days before the end of the month (although there may be big Labor day weekend sales at the end of this month so I dunno if they'll be as concerned with getting good numbers for August as they would for some other month.)

For reference, I paid $8300 for a car listed at $10k, on the second to last day of June last year. I don't consider that to have been an awesome deal, either: just a typical amount that a dealer is willing to cut from their sticker price on a used car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If the old lady wants a Beetle, I don't see how buying a Focus is going to solve your problems. Just get her the Beetle, you only live once.

Alternatively: Your girlfriend secretly hates you and is going to ruin your life with awful cars.