Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

FireCar posted:

2. Arino, find the damned switch palaces!

I was playing this earlier and I didn't even know there were more than one. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davzz posted:

Did they just enter the official Mario canon out of the laziness of not changing the enemies? Normally when this sort of reskins happen it's usually set in some kind of non-continuity. Feels kind of odd considering how associated the Shyguys are with Mario now.

The impression I have is that Nintendo of Japan were really happy with how the international version of Super Mario Brothers 2 turned out. They knew they had a good thing going so why not integrate that stuff back into the series?

Bocc Kob posted:

I was playing this earlier and I didn't even know there were more than one. :haw:

It's okay. I've gotten all of the exits except the switch palaces before (yes, all of the star world levels are beatable with both exits without the switch palaces; you may have to sacrifice some Yoshis to do it though). :mario:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Random Stranger posted:

No episode today but I wanted to continue the Arino playing Mario theme with something different.

This video is in Japanese and there's no chance of it getting translated so I've only made it available for download:

http://depositfiles.com/files/3so1odmwo

This is Arino's appearance on the television show Manager. On it you will see a gaggle of Japanese girls compete in a Mario Brothers tournament against each other as Arino presides over them. At the end of the episode Arino takes on the winner.

Arino is not the only Japanese comedian to play Mario games...

Bwahaha, I love Arino yelling at the girls for calling Luigi "Green".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shyguys didn't make any more appearances until Yoshi's Island, did they? When did they next show up after that? I think their addition to the "canon" was basically just Tezuka bringing 'em back for YI because he thought they were neat.

edit: actually, they were in Link's Awakening before then, another Tezuka game.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Shyguys didn't make any more appearances until Yoshi's Island, did they? When did they next show up after that? I think their addition to the "canon" was basically just Tezuka bringing 'em back for YI because he thought they were neat.

edit: actually, they were in Link's Awakening before then, another Tezuka game.

Also the paper mario series. Probably other places too but that's the biggest one in my mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, they show up all the time in the spinoffs and are a staple enemy in the Yoshi games but I don't think they've ever appeared in the "real" games beyond SMB2, have they?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They showed up a lot in Super Mario RPG.

edit: Oh, main games. Don't they show up in NSMB?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Yeah, they show up all the time in the spinoffs and are a staple enemy in the Yoshi games but I don't think they've ever appeared in the "real" games beyond SMB2, have they?

Good point, I think that's true. Shy guys are awesome though so don't try to devalue them :colbert:

According to this they aren't in a single "Super Mario Brothers" game http://www.mariowiki.com/Shy_Guy

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heti posted:

Good point, I think that's true. Shy guys are awesome though so don't try to devalue them :colbert:

According to this they aren't in a single "Super Mario Brothers" game http://www.mariowiki.com/Shy_Guy

They're definitely in New Super Mario Bros, they're also in Super Mario 64 for sure. They fly around with propellers on their head and jumping on them shoots you up and spins you around. According to Giant Bomb they were in Super Mario Galaxy.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I think the mario wiki would know what games shy guys have been in :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Looking at the wiki now, the Shyguy-esque creature from SM64 is this thing which is so close to being a Shyguy it might as well be one. I can't be arsed reading up on the other games but I guess it's a similar deal there, too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looking at the wiki now, the Shyguy-esque creature from SM64 is this thing which is so close to being a Shyguy it might as well be one. I can't be arsed reading up on the other games but I guess it's a similar deal there, too.

Also this, in SM64: http://www.mariowiki.com/Fly_Guy#Super_Mario_64_.2F_Super_Mario_64_DS

There's different variations that they don't list together for some reason.

Anyways, this has been a definitively useless derail.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

No episode today but I wanted to continue the Arino playing Mario theme with something different.

This video is in Japanese and there's no chance of it getting translated so I've only made it available for download:

http://depositfiles.com/files/3so1odmwo

This is Arino's appearance on the television show Manager. On it you will see a gaggle of Japanese girls compete in a Mario Brothers tournament against each other as Arino presides over them. At the end of the episode Arino takes on the winner.

Arino is not the only Japanese comedian to play Mario games...

There are normal shrieking Japanese girls on variety shows and then there is that one girl with the pigtails who could shatter glass with her wailing and looked like she was ready to burst into tears at any second.

Nonetheless, there is always something oddly fascinating about cheesy Japanese variety TV shows. Except for disembodied heads of b-list celebrities in the corner of the screen going "OOOOWAAAAAHHHHH!!!" at everything. gently caress those heads.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
That manager show was actually pretty funny even though I had no idea what was going on. I like how Arino was all king rear end in a top hat at the beginning and then got destroyed by the other guy. What happened at the end with the camera?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't want to detract from Arino, but to the people suggesting that Japanese variety tv is crazy, let me describe the Batsu Games.

It's a spin off show from Downtown's variety tv show (you know, those two guys who Arino took to a tsundere cafe). It is broadcast every New Year, and seems to be very popular with high production values. In this show, team of comedians are annually put in some loving crazy situation for 24 hours where they are subjected to ridiculous poo poo. Most of the time there's a rule that they may not laugh, no matter what. And if they do, they are punished with crap like beatings, slaps, being shot with loving *darts*, and sexual molestation from a grandma. They do not pull their punches either, the dudes are in genuine pain and sometimes have to be pinned down to receive punishment. Downtown invented it as a way to be really, really awful to each other. I don't know how they can still get along so well after this poo poo.

It sounds horrifying and retarded and I first had to be forced to watch it because I never would have done so voluntarily. I think it's loving hilarious now, but I have no idea why it was allowed to exist or why it continues to do so. They must have to sign so many waivers.

One of the Downtown dudes teabags the other on this show. On camera. That's not even the most hosed up thing that happens in that scene.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Shyguys may have taken a while to make it into the main canon, but Ninjis, which also debuted in SMB2/Doki Doki Panic, are in Super Mario World.

edit: And Bob-ombs in SMB3, I'm a sleep-deprived idiot.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Corridor posted:

One of the Downtown dudes teabags the other on this show. On camera. That's not even the most hosed up thing that happens in that scene.

A man puts his testicles in another man's mouth on Japanese TV? I find that a bit unbelievable for a variety of reasons.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

A man puts his testicles in another man's mouth on Japanese TV? I find that a bit unbelievable for a variety of reasons.

Okay, well not in his mouth, he just sort of laid them on his face.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

One of the Silent Library penalties involves soaking a teabag in boiling water, then smacking a guy's face with it. Teabagging, geddit? :haw: (Although I wouldn't put the other kind of teabagging past the show, either, frankly.) I haven't seen much of Yoiko in action, but I like to think they're better than that. (Not that the batsu games don't crack my poo poo up.)

Corridor posted:

I don't know how they can still get along so well after this poo poo.
By many accounts, they don't.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Were they blurred out making it impossible for you to be sure of what exactly was happening?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If it's the batsu I think it is, the camera is at such an angle that you can't see Matsumoto's junk but can still see that he's not wearing any underwear.

On that note, everyone should watch 24-hour endurance tag. :v:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Mister Chief posted:

Were they blurred out making it impossible for you to be sure of what exactly was happening?

Pretty much everything on Japanese TV is this way.

No but seriously I love when Japanese shows do little previews of something they're going to show later but they blur whatever it is out and my brain is just programmed to go "OKAY WHO'S NAKED IN HERE???"

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do groups actively sub batsu games? I remember watching a few on youtube like the school one where they got the English lesson but I don't even remember if they were subbed or not.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

There're a few people who sub batsu games. The most recent subbed game was No Laughing Airport, which is last year's game. You can find a bunch of subbed games at Gakifiles. Some things require explanations, but if you're viewing subs by Shibata Bread or e-Chie, they provide links to supplementary material instead of putting it on the video itself. Watch a few of the full batsu games and come discuss them with us in the Japanese TV thread, which is 95% Gaki, 4% other hilarious things, and 1% drama shows.

I recommend starting with No Laughing High School or 24-hour Endurance Tag.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Mister Chief posted:

Do groups actively sub batsu games? I remember watching a few on youtube like the school one where they got the English lesson but I don't even remember if they were subbed or not.

https://www.crazyontv.com has a nicely organized list, and I've only seen a few links that don't work out of the hundred or so I've seen so far

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shlapintogan posted:

There're a few people who sub batsu games. The most recent subbed game was No Laughing Airport, which is last year's game. You can find a bunch of subbed games at Gakifiles. Some things require explanations, but if you're viewing subs by Shibata Bread or e-Chie, they provide links to supplementary material instead of putting it on the video itself. Watch a few of the full batsu games and come discuss them with us in the Japanese TV thread, which is 95% Gaki, 4% other hilarious things, and 1% drama shows.

Endurance tag I think is one of the most accessible and the most hilarious.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

I'll check those out.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

http://watchgakinotsukai.blogspot.com.au/p/watch-batsu-games.html is the site I use. Yeah, the 24-hour tag is probably the most accessable and funny. I haven't seen all the No Laughing but this one's my favourite so far.
I didn't know there was another thread about this show, I'll keep it over there from now on. I can't wait to talk with other people about how Tanaka is crossbred with a fainting goat.

Wikipedia posted:

They find it extremely awkward and uncomfortable being left alone together in a room.
By pure coincidence, they once vacationed in Guam at the same time. When Matsumoto saw Hamada, he avoided him. When later asked by Hamada why he did not say anything, he replied that it would have been "too awkward".

They're willing to physically beat each other and squash their genitals in each other's faces but talking outside of work is awkward :psyduck:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
One is work, the other is private life. It's not complicated.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Corridor posted:

They're willing to physically beat each other and squash their genitals in each other's faces but talking outside of work is awkward :psyduck:

You can't tell me you've never worked with someone who you wouldn't be happy to do both/either of those things to

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Corridor posted:

Downtown, Matsumoto especially, are professionals first. They're friends outside of work, but as far as I know, Hamada's a family man and Matsumoto is just naturally reclusive when not working.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, it's not a love/hate relationship, they just aren't super close off-camera.

And all of the no-laughing batsu games are subbed.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
They are not exactly just coworkers, they have been partners for 30 years. Their complete inability to interact outside of comedy is more than a little strange. Then again, according to themselves they formed their duo after Hamada rammed Matsumotos old partners head into a wall during a street fight.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe they don't have much in common besides comedy. They probably have to see each other nearly everyday for TV stuff, so they probably like to disconnect from it during days off.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Even if they've got plenty in common and like each other okay, their job involves spending the entire time with one specific other person and shooting back and forth the whole time. It's pretty reasonable to want to spend their free time with other people even before you get to the balls-on-face point in this relationship.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Lars Krimi posted:

They are not exactly just coworkers, they have been partners for 30 years. Their complete inability to interact outside of comedy is more than a little strange. Then again, according to themselves they formed their duo after Hamada rammed Matsumotos old partners head into a wall during a street fight.

Hamada convinced Matsumoto to enter into the comedy world, both are each others' first and only partner if I remember right. Hamada might have had a partner but Matsumoto definitely never did.

And I have a huge suspicion that the lore surrounding Downtown has been blown hideously out of proportion. I don't doubt that they do not hang out after work but this idea that they treat each other like mortal enemies or at best persona non grata off-camera is ridiculous. They're tremendous business partners, they simply don't gel as well off-camera which is nothing out of the ordinary. There's been many stories about the two of them before they became Downtown and there's nothing to suggest they weren't friends. It is likely that they simply spend too much time together working to be able to fully enjoy the company of one another now.

It doesn't speak as badly about their relationship as some think. It's been noted that while Endo and Tanaka grew up together as neighbors and friends that they do not hang out much if at all off-camera either.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Hamada convinced Matsumoto to enter into the comedy world, both are each others' first and only partner if I remember right. Hamada might have had a partner but Matsumoto definitely never did.

And I have a huge suspicion that the lore surrounding Downtown has been blown hideously out of proportion. I don't doubt that they do not hang out after work but this idea that they treat each other like mortal enemies or at best persona non grata off-camera is ridiculous. They're tremendous business partners, they simply don't gel as well off-camera which is nothing out of the ordinary. There's been many stories about the two of them before they became Downtown and there's nothing to suggest they weren't friends. It is likely that they simply spend too much time together working to be able to fully enjoy the company of one another now.

It doesn't speak as badly about their relationship as some think. It's been noted that while Endo and Tanaka grew up together as neighbors and friends that they do not hang out much if at all off-camera either.

There's a translated documentary about Matsumoto where they literally show him before going onstage doing everything in his power to not even look near Hamada, while the narrator explains that they avoid each other at all costs before a show. It also flat out says a lot of the other stuff that people always thought were just rumours or speculation or industry poo poo, and is a pretty interesting watch.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Matsumoto did have a previous partner, but it was during their school days. In fact, I think he was in a trio. And yeah, they clearly have great respect and appreciation for one another. However, whatever backstage footage I have seen only supports the idea that at least Matsumoto actively avoids off stage contact with Hamada.

Lars Krimi fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 13, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Here's a neat piece of trivia: 25 years ago, back when Downtown were nobodies, they began hosting a show called Yoji Desu Yo~da ("It's Four O'Clock"). This made them super popular in their region before they set off to Tokyo and went on to become national stars.

One of the assistant directors on that show was a 23-year old, fresh out of university, named Tsuyoshi Kan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Here's a neat piece of trivia: 25 years ago, back when Downtown were nobodies, they began hosting a show called Yoji Desu Yo~da ("It's Four O'Clock"). This made them super popular in their region before they set off to Tokyo and went on to become national stars.

One of the assistant directors on that show was a 23-year old, fresh out of university, named Tsuyoshi Kan...

The real question is did they make him play pinball for their amusement?

I'm not up on my Japanese comedians like many of you in the thread are, so who can tell me who these gentlemen are:

There's a gaming related reason I'm asking...