Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Scrolling - period.

I just got one. Its seriously an over-blown issue. People are making it out to be like its unusable. Coming off my 2008 Blackbook, its buttery smooth (running Mountain Lion out of the box).

Only thing I can think of is some people are getting defective machines, or the 2011 were like OMG SUPER-SMOOTH SCROLLING, but I am just not seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ufarn posted:

I think the 11" is way, way too small, and the keyboard feels too weird. Why not go for the bigger screen? It's not like the 13" weighs anything.

It's the same loving keyboard as the 17" except for the slightly thinner function keys.

The 11" is quite a bit smaller than the 13" when you're using it on a small table, or throwing it in a bag. The bad thing about the 11" (other than the 1366x768 screen resolution) is the screen is so short, you're always looking DOWN at the keyboard when you're using it. That's what I miss about 4:3 laptops, not having to look down at the drat table because of this widescreen HD crap.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
I'm probably going to lose £100 or so but I am quite happy with my decision to buy an Air for a year and then to hope that the Haswell chips really are as great as people are predicting.

Also FWIW I bought the 13" and unless you're after super portability that's what I'd recommend. The extra size really isn't that noticeable in terms of bulk but the extra pixels and useable space are fantastic.

I went for the 8GB RAM, 256GB option with the i7 upgrade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 13, 2012

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bonobos posted:

I just got one. Its seriously an over-blown issue. People are making it out to be like its unusable. Coming off my 2008 Blackbook, its buttery smooth (running Mountain Lion out of the box).

Only thing I can think of is some people are getting defective machines, or the 2011 were like OMG SUPER-SMOOTH SCROLLING, but I am just not seeing it.

I continue to notice zero scrolling issues on my rMBP. I run it in the 1680x1050 scaled mode. I didn't see any issues with Lion and I'm on ML now and everything seems ok. The one bug I had seems to have been fixed by ML (graphics corruption after waking from sleep, I posted about it before).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I messed around with the 11 and 13 inch in the apple store and I'm going with the 13 inch, the 11 inch screen just feels weird to use. I'm planning to get the 128 and upgrading the RAM to 8 as I've never come close to using 100gb on a laptop and RAM is nice for buttery smoothness, but is there a consensus on the 256 with i7 being the sweetspot with more value? I don't plan to do any gaming or audio/video editing I just want a magicalTM experience that'll last with new OS upgrades and quality apps.

Dante fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 13, 2012

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dante posted:

I messed around with the 11 and 13 inch in the apple store and I'm going with the 13 inch, the 11 inch screen just feels weird to use. I'm planning to get the 128 and upgrading the RAM to 8 as I've never come close to using 100gb on a laptop and RAM is nice for buttery smoothness, but is there a consensus on the 256 with i7 being the sweetspot with more value? I don't plan to do any gaming or audio/video editing I just want a magicalTM experience that'll last with new OS upgrades and quality apps.

I have a base 13" from earlier this year and it's a pleasure to use. Never have any performance issues. It even makes Office applications run well enough to almost trick me into thinking they aren't bloated, unoptimized piles of poo poo.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Dante posted:

If you look through my post history ITT you should find some decent benchmark comparisons. But IIRC the i7 is only a minimal upgrade (unless you're buying the 11" which you're not) and if you're not going to go over 100GB I wouldn't worry about that either.

I'm maxing it out partly because I want to and I do fairly intensive stuff but also for resale.

E - The RAM upgrade should be a given though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

a bad poster yall posted:

I'm maxing it out partly because I want to and I do fairly intensive stuff but also for resale.

E - The RAM upgrade should be a given though.

I think it's like 8-15% better performance during the most optimum of situations, it's not that big of a deal if it's not your only workstation.

Doing it for resale isn't worth it either because you generally only get like 30-40% of the cost (if even) back-- somebody buying a year old laptop generally isn't willing to pay a large premium for a slight speed upgrade.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Shmoogy posted:

I think it's like 8-15% better performance during the most optimum of situations, it's not that big of a deal if it's not your only workstation.

Doing it for resale isn't worth it either because you generally only get like 30-40% of the cost (if even) back-- somebody buying a year old laptop generally isn't willing to pay a large premium for a slight speed upgrade.

Hmm, that's a worryingly valid point. I'm hoping to appeal to people who see larger numbers and aren't going to do the research.

I also bought it with 20% off so I shouldn't lose too much if anything on what I paid for it.

Also it's going to be my main machine, at least when I'm at home. I won't be taking it to work except for when I travel to other offices.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

I just bought a 2012 Air with discount with the intention of selling next year for a MBPr

That's not a bad idea..not sure how much I'l l get back for my 2010 Air -- I imagine the upgrade speedwise will make it worth it.

Though i've heard the Air's have a worse resale value compared to the Macbook Pros. Not sure how true that is.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
About how much is my late 2008 aluminum Macbook worth? It has the 160GB hdd, 4GB Ram, and is running Lion. It's in great shape and runs fine, with the battery still getting about 2 hours per charge (despite having 1400 charge cycles). I'm seeing prices on eBay range from $200-$550, and some website said they'd pay me $230 to buy it from me. I'm going to upgrade to either a maxed out MBA or a rMBP in the next few months which is another tough choice; I can get some sweet deals on either of them I just don't know what I want or how much I want to spend.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

I just bought a 2012 Air with discount with the intention of selling next year for a MBPr
I think I'm going to do the same thing. What I really want is a 13" rMBP with Haswell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

yoohoo posted:

About how much is my late 2008 aluminum Macbook worth? It has the 160GB hdd, 4GB Ram, and is running Lion. It's in great shape and runs fine, with the battery still getting about 2 hours per charge (despite having 1400 charge cycles). I'm seeing prices on eBay range from $200-$550, and some website said they'd pay me $230 to buy it from me. I'm going to upgrade to either a maxed out MBA or a rMBP in the next few months which is another tough choice; I can get some sweet deals on either of them I just don't know what I want or how much I want to spend.

Not getting any bites on mine with about 500 on here or CL. I might try eBay. A white MacBook in equal shape will go for 400 and is older, so that's where I based my pricing on. Figure the 2011 MBP's go for $800-$900, the C2D 2010's will go for $700...

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Can I reliably use the Turbo Boost clock speed when calculating if i can run certain software?

Also, if anyone happens to know, how does Civ V function under either Parallels or natively on the 2012 Macbook Air 13?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The 13" 2012 Air owns super hard. And even if you don't like it you can return it. But you won't.

Remember - SUPER. HARD.

Seconded.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ufarn posted:

I think the 11" is way, way too small, and the keyboard feels too weird. Why not go for the bigger screen? It's not like the 13" weighs anything.

After owning a 2012 11" MBA for a few weeks, I couldn't disagree more. The 13" actually now feels monstrously big to me. Even though their footprint is very close - the 11" is so much more portable.

Of course, like everything, it depends on your needs and situation.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Lexicon posted:

After owning a 2012 11" MBA for a few weeks, I couldn't disagree more. The 13" actually now feels monstrously big to me. Even though their footprint is very close - the 11" is so much more portable.

Of course, like everything, it depends on your needs and situation.

I agree with this statement. I owned the 2011 13" MBA for almost a year, than sold it before the Ivy Bridge update. Just got a new 2012 11" MBA and I'm loving the form factor a lot more. It depends on the situation though, I'm able to dock my Macbook Air up to my Dell IPS Monitor along with using my own keyboard and mouse when I'm at home.

The size displacement from the 13" to the 11" is noticeable when lugging it around campus. It takes up less space in my backpack.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rabid Snake posted:

I agree with this statement. I owned the 2011 13" MBA for almost a year, than sold it before the Ivy Bridge update. Just got a new 2012 11" MBA and I'm loving the form factor a lot more. It depends on the situation though, I'm able to dock my Macbook Air up to my Dell IPS Monitor along with using my own keyboard and mouse when I'm at home.

The size displacement from the 13" to the 11" is noticeable when lugging it around campus. It takes up less space in my backpack.

Yeah. Also, I think "is a fan of the 11 incher" correlate strongly with "is an owner of multiple computers". For a primary, single machine, I'd recommend most people get the 13".

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm still loving my 2012 MBA 13" 4G, 128G. I highly suggest it for anyone still on the fence.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I spent about an hour at the Apple Store comparing the 11 and 13 before deciding on the 13. It will be my only computer so that was definitely part of it. but I also read stories of how the 11 gets much hotter since you basically have the same power in a smaller package. I also appreciate the extra battery life on the 13. And the SD card slot is very handy.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just got an Apple Cinema Display with a mini-display port cable.

How do I plug it in to my GTX 680 with full sized display port, HDMI or DVI

These are the connectors on my GTX 680:

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1
Display Port : Yes x 1 (Regular DP)

The apple display is Mini-DisplayPort. I'd like to run at the full resolution, 2560-by-1440.

What connectors do I need to buy to do this?

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Bit the bullet: 13" Macbook Air, 2.0 i7, 8 RAM, 256 GB.

The wait's going to be unbearable, but I'll use my time wisely by cleaning out my wallet to make it easier for the moths. :)

Xergiez
Jan 13, 2002
Xergiez
Need some feedback for those with the 11" MBA. I've been trying to decide for a week straight now and although I like the novelty size of it, I have 2 issues with the 11":

1) Do you feel that the size of the palm rest area is a problem? I know you're not supposed to rest your palms while typing but I often do this while slouching. The center of my palms rest right on the edge while I was testing it out in the store.

2) Is the 5-hour battery life a problem while on the go? The size and weight is ideal, but what's the point of a small laptop if you need to bring the charger around all the time?

It would be my main computer and I didn't have an issue with the display at the store. Windows can be fullscreened to the size of normal windows on the 13" and it even appeared to be brighter/looked slightly more rich in color than the 13" Airs.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Xergiez posted:

Windows can be fullscreened to the size of normal windows on the 13" and it even appeared to be brighter/looked slightly more rich in color than the 13" Airs.
This could be because the 11" MBA you were looking at had a Samsung display screen while the 13" MBA had a Toshiba display screen. AnandTech explains it more in more detail here. (Scroll down to Panel Lottery.) The Toshiba display screen is fine enough and I wouldn't worry about which one you would get.

To answer your questions.

1. I have big hands and the palm rest area never really bothered me. Than again, I usually only type 5-10 page essays a week max. The palm rest on my old 2011 MBA was more comfortable though.

2. The 5-hour battery (realistically around 3-4 hours) is the biggest disadvantage of the 11" compared to the 13". As long as you don't do any heavy CPU work on the go (VMs, encoding videos .. etc) you should be fine. If you need the laptop to last a whole work day, than I'd recommend the 13" MBA. During the Sandy Bridge release of the Macbook Airs, I went with the 13" just because of the battery life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, remember the 5-hour battery life is absolute best case for the 11". Real-world can be as short as three hours.

Never noticed a problem with the wrist rest being shorter.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aardark posted:

What instances are those? All I've heard is Facebook scrolling, what else makes it not worth buying?

A bit of a lag scrolling heavy websites. Installed Apps haven't been an issue for me at all (edit: except the Kindle App - it has 4-5 seconds lag in the book list for some reason, even in the one not showing covers). And even those websites are about what I am used to in Windows. It might grate you if coming from a powerful Mac, but even from a powerful Windows PC it's not a downgrade in smoothness.
Only some Apps have been updated for Retina yet, that's the bigger downside. I use a special version of Firefox and Thunderbird which are optimized for Retina, but they still have a few issues too. Non-optimized Apps aren't unusable, but they look ugly, so you tend to avoid them. But as time goes by more and more programs are optimized (really optimized, not the bullshit Parallels paddled as "Retina-ready").

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 14, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

I just got an Apple Cinema Display with a mini-display port cable.

How do I plug it in to my GTX 680 with full sized display port, HDMI or DVI

These are the connectors on my GTX 680:

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1
Display Port : Yes x 1 (Regular DP)

The apple display is Mini-DisplayPort. I'd like to run at the full resolution, 2560-by-1440.

What connectors do I need to buy to do this?

A displayport to mini displayport cable will do it.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Just bought a new laptop to replace my 2006 Macbook, which is causing more and more problems and hanging quite often. I don't really blame it since it's well over 6 years old and it's been awesome to me.

So just ordered an i5 Macbook Air with 256gb SSD and 8 gigs of ram, I can't wait for it to arrive.

Since I've not done this since well before Time Machine existed... how easy is it to transfer all my settings and apps from my current laptop running 10.7 to a new one running 10.8? I've got full Time Machine backups of everything but I obviously don't want it to overwrite and downgrade the operating system.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

sweek0 posted:

Just bought a new laptop to replace my 2006 Macbook, which is causing more and more problems and hanging quite often. I don't really blame it since it's well over 6 years old and it's been awesome to me.

So just ordered an i5 Macbook Air with 256gb SSD and 8 gigs of ram, I can't wait for it to arrive.

Since I've not done this since well before Time Machine existed... how easy is it to transfer all my settings and apps from my current laptop running 10.7 to a new one running 10.8? I've got full Time Machine backups of everything but I obviously don't want it to overwrite and downgrade the operating system.

You can just use the migration tool to transfer your files from the time machine backup. It won't downgrade you and it should grab everything. The only thing I would leave unchecked would be the transfer apps ticker. Just redownload/reinstall what you need and if you have to, you can just copy apps by hand from the mounted TM image. I just went through this process last week when I did a clean install of mountain lion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I transferred apps when I did mine, and it worked out just fine. My biggest bug was that right-clicking in the omnibar was crashing Safari; turned out to just be nothing giving it a chance to redo the menu after some TextWrangler changes.

So the migration works well, it's just a little cranky; it will sort itself out given like three reboots.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Glenn posted:

Bit the bullet: 13" Macbook Air, 2.0 i7, 8 RAM, 256 GB.

It's the best computer ever. You'll flip.

Has anyone tried the TB->FW adapter yet? I haven't gotten much of a nibble on my Firewire Apogee Duet, so I may just keep it and try the adapter. Store.apple reviews seem positive, and Apogee support thinks it'll work, but they haven't tried it yet.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I noticed that there was a Thunderbolt -> Ethernet adapter from Apple. Is there something similar to this but includes another thunderbolt out so I can daisy chain a monitor?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

I noticed that there was a Thunderbolt -> Ethernet adapter from Apple. Is there something similar to this but includes another thunderbolt out so I can daisy chain a monitor?

Although you have a better chance of seeing a Unicorn than a Thunderbolt dock, Matrox announced one with DVI ouput:

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/press/

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Although you have a better chance of seeing a Unicorn than a Thunderbolt dock, Matrox announced one with DVI ouput:

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/press/

Wait what?

Wasn't this thing covered earlier in this thread?

http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/

Or are you thinking of something else?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My gorgeous 13" MBA arrived today. I need some kind of fast removable storage for it, would I be better served by a SD card or a USB3 flash drive?

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

THC posted:

My gorgeous 13" MBA arrived today. I need some kind of fast removable storage for it, would I be better served by a SD card or a USB3 flash drive?

All comes down to how much storage you need. Some SD cards can hit 128GB now. If you need more than that, and you want to remove the possibility of losing and fragmenting your data, go with a drive.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I was thinking more in the neighbourhood of 32GB. Mostly I am concerned about performance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

THC posted:

SD cards are slow even compared to USB 2.0 flash drives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah i use a 32gig SD class 10 card and a USB3 external hard drive. The hard drive is much faster. I just use the SD card for my iTunes library.