Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Speaking of Dark Knight Trilogy, the first time I saw Batman Begins I totally missed that the criminal that Crane gets committed to his asylum early in the film is none other then batman villain Victor Zsasz. This lends a different subtext to the scene directly following it because, while this sparks Rachel to accuse Crane of falsely claiming insanity for Falcone's men, comic book readers know that Zsasz is completely off his loving rocker and well deserving of a spot in a loony bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atimo
Feb 21, 2007
Lurking since '03
Fun Shoe
In "MST3K: Manhunt in Space" the space ship in the movie has an asteroid on screen and Tom Servo says "Look, it's the MST3K logo!" to which Joel reply's "You aren't supposed to know about that."

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

a kitten posted:

One of my favorite things he points out is this:
"During the conversation with Halloran Danny asks “Mr Halloran, are you scared of this place?”, and immediately we cut to our first wide shot of their conversation, which shows a set of knives in the background pointing directly at Danny’s head – a hint of the murderous danger that awaits the family."

The first two (possibly only two) times I saw this movie were before and after I took an intro to film study class. The first time, I don't think I noticed it. The second time, my mouth dropped open and I got chills something fierce.

goomblet
Feb 13, 2007
Prince is in another Castle
From Star Trek
Pike tells Kirk that his father was a captain for 12 minutes and saved the lives of over 800 people and then "I dare you to do better".

Later in the movie Kirk gets command of the Enterprise and exactly 12 minutes later Spock, under Kirks instructions destroys the mining laser saving the entire planet.

It's such a little thing and so amazingly well done.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
(gif thread reminded me of this)
One of my favorite fight scenes in any movie ever is in Kung Fu Hustle, where the three masters are taken out by the musical assassins, and the fight is finished by the landlords of the slum. Really the whole movie is full of small details that accentuate the action, but the one I liked the most is the first time you see the Lion's Roar, and she burns up her whole cigarette in one breath.

Seen here: http://youtu.be/E5lanjFi6qo?t=30s

Maybe it's not that subtle but I didn't bother noticing it till my third viewing or so.

I also liked the part where Sing finds the Beast's confinement cell, and as he approaches, there's a cacophony of frogs croaking. Another not-so-subtle detail, but it doesn't really make sense until the last fight scene, so it's easy to dismiss the first time through.

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012

DoleMIGHTY posted:

(gif thread reminded me of this)
One of my favorite fight scenes in any movie ever is in Kung Fu Hustle, where the three masters are taken out by the musical assassins, and the fight is finished by the landlords of the slum. Really the whole movie is full of small details that accentuate the action, but the one I liked the most is the first time you see the Lion's Roar, and she burns up her whole cigarette in one breath.

Seen here: http://youtu.be/E5lanjFi6qo?t=30s

Maybe it's not that subtle but I didn't bother noticing it till my third viewing or so.

I also liked the part where Sing finds the Beast's confinement cell, and as he approaches, there's a cacophony of frogs croaking. Another not-so-subtle detail, but it doesn't really make sense until the last fight scene, so it's easy to dismiss the first time through.

What I don't get is the flood of blood Sing sees when he enters the Beast's corridor. Is it just representing how much blood the Beast has 'spilt' from his killings?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MGtupe_zw&t=3709s at 1:01:45

Hat Butt has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Jul 30, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Romes128 posted:

I read somewhere that everything on Iron Mans HUD makes sense, and isn't just tech stuff to make it look complicated and cool. Someone from the Air Force helped design the layout for it. Pretty awesome stuff considering we only get to see it backwards and almost transparent. There are also different HUDs for each suit he wears.

There's a pretty cool moment with that in the first Iron Man movie. When he first takes the Mark II out for its first flight you get a shot of his HUD showing a wireframe of the driveway. As he starts flying a little warning pops up on the corner of the HUD showing that his trajectory will hit the wall. Cut to outside shot with the suit scraping against the wall as he flies off.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Hat Butt posted:

What I don't get is the flood of blood Sing sees when he enters the Beast's corridor. Is it just representing how much blood the Beast has 'spilt' from his killings?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MGtupe_zw&t=3709s at 1:01:45

It's a reference to The Shining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlESfLHI4M

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Just remembered one. In Return of the Jedi, C-3PO calls Jabba "Your Worshipfullness", the same sarcastic title Han used when talking to Leia.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Speaking of Dark Knight Trilogy, the first time I saw Batman Begins I totally missed that the criminal that Crane gets committed to his asylum early in the film is none other then batman villain Victor Zsasz. This lends a different subtext to the scene directly following it because, while this sparks Rachel to accuse Crane of falsely claiming insanity for Falcone's men, comic book readers know that Zsasz is completely off his loving rocker and well deserving of a spot in a loony bin.

There was an arc in the comics where Batman had himself thrown into Arkham for "killing" a cop that was dressed as a mugger. It was all to expose the new director and figure out how Zsasz was killing people while committed.

Zsasz received another nod in The Dark Knight. The Joker's reasoning for why he uses knives is lifted almost word for word from an inner monologue Zsasz has while murdering a guy in an alley. Pretty fitting since TDK Joker ditched a lot of the clown aspect in lieu of being a violent psychopath and Zsasz's thing was killing entire families and then posing them to appear in the middle of a family dinner or evening of television.

For other content. Watched Space Jam with my nephew last week. When Michael is pulled into Looney Tune land 2 things:

When he lands you can see Yosemite Sam coiling up the rope that pulled Michael through the golf hole.

When Michael gets pulled through the hole one of his shoes gets pulled off in a cartooney fashion. If you look Michael only wears one of his golf shoes until Bugs and Daffy retrieve his basketball gear from the real world.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In Prometheus after our heroes have had sex, the guy has some pretty rough-looking scratchmarks around his shoulder. It never comes up, but it's nice to have a subtle nod to some passionate sex rather than standard Hollywood conventions.

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009

Squalitude posted:

In Prometheus after our heroes have had sex, the guy has some pretty rough-looking scratchmarks around his shoulder. It never comes up, but it's nice to have a subtle nod to some passionate sex rather than standard Hollywood conventions.

Something tells me this was yet another attempt to show "subtle" symbolism showing humanity as being the true monsters, despite being fairly in your face and really not that clever. At least that was the vibe I got from most of that incredibly disappointing movie.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
In David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Martin gets clocked in the face with a golf club by Lisbeth, losing a few teeth as a result. A few scenes later, Lisbeth has one of the teeth on a necklace. It's not a huge detail, but it's only in that one scene for the rest of the film and there's no camera focus or framing that even draws your attention to it. Kind of reminds me of Tyler Durden being in the corner of the hotel welcome video in Fight Club.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's probably one of those little things that made the actress' performance that much better, even if no one else noticed.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mind the walrus posted:

It's probably one of those little things that made the actress' performance that much better, even if no one else noticed.

I remember Lance Henriksen talking about the importance of those kind of things. He said something a simple as a certain brand of watch or the way you wear your jacket can be all the difference in getting a character. It's the tiny details that may never come across on camera that make a performance, and often, it's the actor alone who even knows these things.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember Lance Henriksen talking about the importance of those kind of things. He said something a simple as a certain brand of watch or the way you wear your jacket can be all the difference in getting a character. It's the tiny details that may never come across on camera that make a performance, and often, it's the actor alone who even knows these things.

This reminds me of an interview on the Lord of the Rings DVDs, where Bernard Hill talks about there being horse designs on the inside of his armor. It never showed on camera, but drat if it didn't infuse the way he acted as King Théoden.

This is typical of the whole trilogy's "work ethic", for lack of a better term. A friend of mine once went to an exhibition of props from the films, and she told me that the life-sized Boromir mannequin which was used for his boat funeral scene had nose hair.

Enough derails, more details:

In The Empire Strikes Back, when Vader tells Ozzel, Veers and Piett to set course for Hoth, Admiral Ozzel openly doubts that they'll find anything there.
Vader is sure, however, and tells everyone to get ready. Just after Vader rushes off, Ozzel gives General Veers an agreeing nod, but then turns to stare at Piett and gives the tiniest "no" head shake I've ever seen.
It's just such a lovely subtle display of insubordination on Ozzel's part.

In Casablanca, when Sidney Greenstreet's Signor Ferrari first enters Rick's Café, he does a small greeting gesture to some Arabian gentlemen. This one gesture is enough to let you feel how much Ferrari has assimilated to the culture of Morocco - as opposed to his business rival Rick, who, despite employing a multicultural staff in his bar, remains essentially a foreigner in the country.

Dave Syndrome has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Aug 3, 2012

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

In The Incredibles, there's a scene where Mr. Incredible and Frozone (played by Samuel L. Jackson) accidentally bust into a jewelry store and are confronted by a cop. Hoping to recharge his ice powers, Frozone takes a drink of water, acting very calm and collected as the cop freaks out. It's a great scene... and a direct homage to Die Hard: With a Vengeance, where Jackson's character persuades a cop to let him answer a phone.

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009
While not a great (or even good) film, at the end of the Total Recall remake Kate Beckinsale attempts to kill Quaid by disguising herself as Jessica Biel. However, Quaid notices she doesn't have her signature scar on her hand and quickly fends her off. After dealing with her, Quaid meets up with the real Jessica Biel, and they embrace. As the camera pulls away, Quaid then makes sure to check her hand as well for the scar.

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
Not sure if this belongs here but here goes. I picked up the Criterion Collection of Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters and noticed how strange the packaging was. The usual cardboard case in which the disc's case slides out of the side was on the lefthand side of the cover as opposed to the normal righthand side. Maybe not intentional but blew my mind if it was, as that would correspond with how Japanese books are read right to left, and the subject of the biopic, Yukio Mishima, was a Japanese author. Possibly dumb and reaching, especially about something as small as packaging but still. Kind of cool to me.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
In Conan the Barbarian, Valyria's funeral pyre is lit in the place where the spirits of dead kings will allow no fire to burn.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I don't have the background to know this for certain or not, but I was told that, in Return of the Jedi, Luke Skywalker burns Darth Vader's body in a manner consistent with Buddhist tradition. The whole 'Force' mythology has a sort of Buddhist overtone, so it makes a certain kind of sense.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr. 47 posted:

The whole 'Force' mythology has a sort of Buddhist overtone

Uh, you're going to have to explain this one, because I don't see it at all.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

kazil posted:

Uh, you're going to have to explain this one, because I don't see it at all.

This guy breaks it down in far more detail than I could.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
In O Brother, Where Art Thou, Everitt and his two companions travel to a radio station, where they are paid by the blind DJ to record a song. After the recording session, the DJ asks the men to sign a form so they can get paid. Everitt says something along the lines of "I hope it's ok that these other two guys just sign X's for their names, on account of they can't read."

I never got it before, but it's implied that Everitt told the blind DJ that there were five performers instead of the actual three, so they got paid for two extra singers. The DJ was blind, so he was none the wiser.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

In O Brother, Where Art Thou, Everitt and his two companions travel to a radio station, where they are paid by the blind DJ to record a song. After the recording session, the DJ asks the men to sign a form so they can get paid. Everitt says something along the lines of "I hope it's ok that these other two guys just sign X's for their names, on account of they can't read."

I never got it before, but it's implied that Everitt told the blind DJ that there were five performers instead of the actual three, so they got paid for two extra singers. The DJ was blind, so he was none the wiser.

Not sure if it's meant to be subtle or not, but in the scene prior where Everitt and his buddies pick up the Black bassist(?), they learn that he sold his soul to the devil. One asks "What does the devil look like?" Everitt chimes in with a classic devil image (red skin, pitchfork, horns, goat feet, etc.). The black man corrects him and instead describes the devil as being white, with a big hound dog, and several other descriptions I'm forgetting ATM.

We learn later that the description matches that of the sheriff that has been chasing the crew for a good portion of the movie.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I don't recall if this is actually subtle, or if the movie beats you over the head with it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CzarChasm posted:

Not sure if it's meant to be subtle or not, but in the scene prior where Everitt and his buddies pick up the Black bassist(?), they learn that he sold his soul to the devil. One asks "What does the devil look like?" Everitt chimes in with a classic devil image (red skin, pitchfork, horns, goat feet, etc.). The black man corrects him and instead describes the devil as being white, with a big hound dog, and several other descriptions I'm forgetting ATM.

We learn later that the description matches that of the sheriff that has been chasing the crew for a good portion of the movie.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I don't recall if this is actually subtle, or if the movie beats you over the head with it.

He's also seen with flames being reflected in his glasses and there's a few other things. It never outright says "This guy is the Devil!" but you're certainly supposed to reach that conclusion.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Polaron posted:

He's also seen with flames being reflected in his glasses and there's a few other things. It never outright says "This guy is the Devil!" but you're certainly supposed to reach that conclusion.

In the same recording scene, Everett describes the entire band as black with a white guitarist.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

O Brother, Where Art Thou

I'm not sure if this is subtle or just common knowledge but all the references this movie makes to "Homer's Odyssey." For example, Goerge Clooney character is trying to get beack to his wife, the three women they meet by the river are like the sirens that Odysseus and his men meeta and John Goodman's character is referring to the cyclops from the book. I haven't seen that movie in years, but the similarities always stuck with me.

Also from The Fith Element, when Dallas brings an unconcious Leelou to cornelius, Cornelius calls Dallas, "Willis," but Bruce quickly corrects him and the scene just continues. It was a nice quick save on Bruce's part.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

First Tube posted:

I'm not sure if this is subtle or just common knowledge but all the references this movie makes to "Homer's Odyssey." For example, Goerge Clooney character is trying to get beack to his wife, the three women they meet by the river are like the sirens that Odysseus and his men meeta and John Goodman's character is referring to the cyclops from the book. I haven't seen that movie in years, but the similarities always stuck with me

I don't think I'd call that subtle; it's a loose adaptation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So is the original Poseidon Adventure, actually. The main character is a lapsed reverend, and it's only after he finds God again in the climax that they manage to escape the ship. It's not as overt as in O Brother, but the pieces come together at the end.

They completely missed the point in the remake by dropping that part of the character, but keeping the big symbolic scenes like climbing the christmas tree to safety.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

First Tube posted:

I'm not sure if this is subtle or just common knowledge but all the references this movie makes to "Homer's Odyssey." For example, Goerge Clooney character is trying to get beack to his wife, the three women they meet by the river are like the sirens that Odysseus and his men meeta and John Goodman's character is referring to the cyclops from the book. I haven't seen that movie in years, but the similarities always stuck with me.

Also from The Fith Element, when Dallas brings an unconcious Leelou to cornelius, Cornelius calls Dallas, "Willis," but Bruce quickly corrects him and the scene just continues. It was a nice quick save on Bruce's part.

I always thought he called him Wallace.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He did. It was Wallace.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

HOW COULD YOU posted:

That same criminal shows up later at the end of the film when Raas releases Scarecrow's fear gas all over The Narrows. Rachel and the kid that Batman gives his little x-ray gadget to are confronted by Zsasz, and Batman narrowly saves him (to which the kid responds "I told you he'd come!")

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

That same criminal shows up later at the end of the film when Raas releases Scarecrow's fear gas all over The Narrows. Rachel and the kid that Batman gives his little x-ray gadget to are confronted by Zsasz, and Batman narrowly saves him (to which the kid responds "I told you he'd come!")

And that kid grew up to become Prince Joffrey. So maybe Batman should have let him die.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

muscles like this? posted:

And that kid grew up to become Prince Joffrey. So maybe Batman should have let him die.

I'd rather he killed Scarecrow, considering that in The Dark Knight Rises Dr. Crane is the judge that sentences "criminals" in the post-Revolution Gotham to either death or exile.

That little detail is also even better considering Commissioner Gordon makes it clear that he'd rather die than be exiled from Gotham City. So what does Dr. Crane, psychologist and rear end in a top hat extraordinaire do? Sentences him to death. By exile.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

That little detail is also even better considering Commissioner Gordon makes it clear that he'd rather die than be exiled from Gotham City. So what does Dr. Crane, psychologist and rear end in a top hat extraordinaire do? Sentences him to death. By exile.

It's the classic death by snu-snu joke.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Timecrimes: After Hector gets out of the machine the second time, there's a flashback sequence when the scientist explains that he had already come through minutes earlier and told him what to do while he hides. The flashback shows that Hector was hiding behind some equipment, and zooms in on his hand as the big reveal. Just to make sure, I rewound to the original scene when he comes through, and yep, the hand is there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sticklefifer posted:

Timecrimes: After Hector gets out of the machine the second time, there's a flashback sequence when the scientist explains that he had already come through minutes earlier and told him what to do while he hides. The flashback shows that Hector was hiding behind some equipment, and zooms in on his hand as the big reveal. Just to make sure, I rewound to the original scene when he comes through, and yep, the hand is there.

That whole movie was amazing. Dark as poo poo, but amazing.

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

That whole movie was amazing. Dark as poo poo, but amazing.

So I have a question. Was there any actual motivation for most of the things he did, specifically with him forcing the girl to strip, other than "Oh, the other guy did it so I should too?" And what, exactly, was the motivation for the original one then? Or is there some subtle detail I'm missing? Because that lack of motivation honestly broke the movie for me, and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What is it called when one character does a thing, and another character thinks the first one did something different, and due to that mixup there is comedy? I know Fraiser and Modern Family use it all the time.