Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I'm a bit behind on the thread, but on the subject of singleplayer. I've only just started playing the singleplayer, after playing the multiplayer for a while now.
It really is jarring expecting your team mates to be able to take care of themselves (Which is probably a mistake in multiplayer too, but oh well) and also going from my rad Carnifex X to a Predator I, felt like I'd been neutered while waiting for warp to cooldown.

I also just got a Pirahna and put that on my freshly promoted Turian Soldier. First match I thought it was pretty good, leveled up to 6 or so and dumped many points into marksman, second match is just... I felt bad for my enemies, especially any brute foolish enough to charge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

duffath posted:

Almost the same build funnily enough. Thanks for the input though! 2 things I'm unsure about

Is there any worth in 75% vs barriers and armour for rank 6 reave? I feel it's helpful versus hard targets but if I'm missing out on a lot of other stuff then It'd be good to know how much.

The other difference is Pull is at rank 4 versus Rank 5 passive....15% versus an AOE on pull....Is there an issue with that because pull has such a low cool-down couldn't you just spam it as easily and get an extra 15% on power damage?

edit: any info on the acolyte? Seems like great anti shield/barrier support or is it just me? currently running a disciple and an acolyte on this build for a cooldown of 154% Sound okay?

I find that the damage on Reave to be pretty weak. It's main uses are to set up explosions and provide damage resistance. Hard targets are best dealt with by setting up detonations and shooting, which is why I prefer damage resistance over extra damage.

The acolyte has a low base damage and a small area of effect but it does 5x the damage to shields and barriers. 154% is good for weight but the main problem with your build is that you have nothing equipped that's good against armor. If you post a link to your manifest I can make specific recommendations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They updated the Operation stats about halfway through the weekend:
Bronze - 66,611= 33%
Silver - 48,281 = 27%
Gold - 17,466 = 30%

I assume we didn't make up for it and it was a failure.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Just pulled a Typhoon I. :toot: How does it compare post nerf to a Harrier II for a Destoyer?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Crows Turn Off posted:

They updated the Operation stats about halfway through the weekend:
Bronze - 66,611= 33%
Silver - 48,281 = 27%
Gold - 17,466 = 30%

I assume we didn't make up for it and it was a failure.

Eh the rewards are pretty lovely. This was the first weekend in a while that I could even play the game for more than 20 minutes and I decided to farm Platinum instead of waste my time on extractions that MIGHT get me a Hurricane III when it's all said and done (and will probably end up netting me an Eagle IV for my trouble)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tremors posted:

Just pulled a Typhoon I. :toot: How does it compare post nerf to a Harrier II for a Destoyer?
Its weirdly not a primary weapon. Doing 150% damage to everything but health and having a relatively long warmup means that you're probably better off using a Piranha on everything until a Brute/Banshee/Prime/Atlas shows up. Against Geth, though, its pretty amazing if you can manage your ammo.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, two days ago I got the Cerberus Adept and now that I got the hang of him and his biotic whips, the game gives me another Adept character: the N7 Fury.
How should I play her? Run around in the middle of groups of enemies and explode them?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
The Typhoon's mostly something you mag-dump into bosses. This makes it good for Gold and Platinum, but it's a whole other kind of thing from the Harrier, which you can burst mooks down with without worrying about bullets wasted on spinup or anything.

radintorov posted:

Well, two days ago I got the Cerberus Adept and now that I got the hang of him and his biotic whips, the game gives me another Adept character: the N7 Fury.
How should I play her? Run around in the middle of groups of enemies and explode them?

Pretty much.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Typhoon is decent on Gold, but on Platinum it runs out of ammo so drat fast. You need at least 2 mags for 1 boss, and there's tons of bosses on Platinum. The best automatic for a Destroyer is actually the Hurricane; I play with a guy who uses just that and it's ridiculous how much more damage he's dishing out compared to my Typhoon.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

radintorov posted:

Yeah run in and detonate with Throw when you can. Use Dark Channel/Throw for ranged damage when you can't. For guns try to pack light and for short range; use a smg or shotgun (or Talon if you've got one). Also phantoms are easy to prime with Dark Channel and can be detonated by popping annihilation field.

You want to make sure you always have annihilation field up, I'll pop it and recast it between waves/during lulls to help avoid having it run out at a bad time. Avoid dark colors when setting your appearance or it will be harder to notice when it's down when there's powers flying everywhere.

Tremors posted:

Like they said it's great for killing bosses and kind of lovely for killing infantry. If you're using a Piranha I'd take the Harrier over the Typhoon. If you want to get the most out of the Typhoon then pair it with a gun that's good at killing off mooks. I pair mine with a Talon but a Raptor would do the job as well. The destroyer is a good class for loving around with different guns in general so do some experimenting.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Lagomorphic posted:

I find that the damage on Reave to be pretty weak. It's main uses are to set up explosions and provide damage resistance. Hard targets are best dealt with by setting up detonations and shooting, which is why I prefer damage resistance over extra damage.

The acolyte has a low base damage and a small area of effect but it does 5x the damage to shields and barriers. 154% is good for weight but the main problem with your build is that you have nothing equipped that's good against armor. If you post a link to your manifest I can make specific recommendations.

http://social.bioware.com/4097341/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=201168250&display=multiplayer

I hope I've done that right, but that's my manifest. I was trying the acolyte to help deal with shields and barriers to help myself work more in a support role, since it's a bit of an arse for me to deal high damage quickly compared to other biotic classes. It's good but too situational. I feel what's probably the best and most flexible thing I've been doing is just taking a Phaeston. Gives me more flexibility at range against most stuff. With my current load-out I feel more bothered with shields and not armour though due to my Reave setup...hmmm :/

I've always liked the extra Armour and Barrier Damage on the reave and other biotic powers, but I never thought about the damage resistance. stacking a few reaves on a banshee does really seem help them melt pretty decently, plus it's great versus brutes and ravagers. When I do this in a support role it seems to allow me to reave snipe a ravager suppressing my team, fire a few shots, then snipe again. Feels like it lets my team concentrate on the shielded fodder that reaver doesn't work too well on. That was my logic anyway. With regards to damage reduction I've always felt pretty squishy anyway so a 30% damage reduction felt a bit needless. I am trying to be open minded though because I sure ain't no pro.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
So is the Acolyte the best gun for a female Quarian Engineer to take out shields with or is there something even better she can use?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Typhoon is decent on Gold, but on Platinum it runs out of ammo so drat fast. You need at least 2 mags for 1 boss, and there's tons of bosses on Platinum. The best automatic for a Destroyer is actually the Hurricane; I play with a guy who uses just that and it's ridiculous how much more damage he's dishing out compared to my Typhoon.

I want to like the Hurricane on the Destroyer, but you end up with an odd amount of ammo because of the bonuses from devastator mode. This makes it so that you can't fire all of your ammo (since it uses up two rounds at a time) and therefore can't automatically reload.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lagomorphic posted:

Also what platform are you on? You'll get better quicker by playing with goons, so post your tag or id and get on some friends lists.

On PC as GestaltIntellect. If any goons feel like inviting me to bronze games I'd appreciate it.

So far I've used a human engineer and turian soldier, with a turian sentinel and BF3 soldier also unlocked. I really have no idea how to level things so I've mostly just been investing in powers and avoiding Fitness. Did save up enough for a spectre pack without noticing and got a Piranha.

Many things died next round.

Is there any ingame text chat or scoreboard? I like to check my ping every now and then because it periodically fucks out and goes up to the high hundreds/thousands, and it's good to confirm whether it's on my side or the server's when everything starts teleporting.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is there any ingame text chat or scoreboard?

Well, you can hit Esc at any point to bring up a scoreboard and see how many players are left and how many points they have, but unfortunately there is absolutely no way measure ping to the host (the game doesn't use servers to host games by the way, it's strictly peer to peer and the lobby leader is always the host) at any point, not even from the lobby, before starting a game (which would be really crucial as you don't want to end up in an Australian guy's lobby when you're playing from Europe, or in the lobby of someone in Russia when you're from the US, yet that still appears to happen occasionally).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

On PC as GestaltIntellect. If any goons feel like inviting me to bronze games I'd appreciate it.

I'm probably one of the few here who still plays (and enjoys) bronze games when I feel like relaxing, so I'll send you a friend request. My list is starting to thin out anyway with the number of people who are getting bored of the game / having work troubles / having computer troubles.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Burning Mustache posted:

there is absolutely no way measure ping to the host
One of the players on the Bioware forums developed this application which will sniff your packet traffic, make an educated guess about which IP address is hosting, and then report your ping. It's a bit fiddly and will sometimes refuses to report a number, but just seeing "Singapore" or "New Zealand" is enough to make me switch out my N7 Fury in favour of something less vulnerable to lag death.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Mr.Flibble posted:

So is the Acolyte the best gun for a female Quarian Engineer to take out shields with or is there something even better she can use?

Disruptor ammo with a gun that has a high chance of effect, since I believe tech bursts do extra damage (I believe 2x) against shields and also scale with enemy health I think, unless that's BE I'm thinking of. See: The only guy I trust with ME3 multiplayer build videos

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 14, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

duffath posted:

I hope I've done that right, but that's my manifest.

Okay with that pool you should try the Geth Plasma Shotgun with the High Caliber Barrel and Spare clip mods. The GPSG ignores the armor reduction entirely so it's equally effective at killing everything at rank 4 it'll put you at +90% which is lower than ideal but totally manageable. With the GPSG you want to hold down the trigger to charge whenever you can. Keep in mind you can still run with a charged shot. If you're in cover charging will cause you to pop out so ideally you want to be by the edge of wall so you can charge and then strafe out to take the shot. The GPSG shoots homing projectiles so use the aim button and then get the reticule to turn red then release the shot. You can hit enemies across the map this way.

You also have a Talon which is the best gun in the game if you run it with the scope and piercing mods, unfortunately you need to level up your piercing mod before it'll be decent against armor. I'm guessing that you're mostly buying the premium spectre packs, I'd strongly suggest that you switch to the regular spectres until you get your uncommon weapon mods all maxed, it'll also help with your supply of medigel and other consumables since you'll be getting nearly twice the consumables for only 20% more.

Mr.Flibble posted:

Scoped Talon with disruptor ammo if you have it. Every shot will also prime the target for a tech burst with this setup. If you post your manifest I can give a personalized recommendation.

I'm on 360 so I can't help you there but don't be afraid of the silver. If you're a team player and not a complete idiot nobody will care if you're getting carried a little bit. Nearly everyone I've played with that was reluctant to step up to the next difficulty was already better than half the idiot pubs you encounter in the wild.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Today I got booted from a gold game because apparently I was stealing kills by using tech bursts, coming ahead of two other players, and not dyeing all the time.

It was also my fault one of the players using a vanguard glitched out, because according to him, he hit my combat drone.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I'm on 360 so I can't help you there but don't be afraid of the silver. If you're a team player and not a complete idiot nobody will care if you're getting carried a little bit. Nearly everyone I've played with that was reluctant to step up to the next difficulty was already better than half the idiot pubs you encounter in the wild.

Definitely. Back in the demo I was scared as hell to even TRY Silver without a full team of people I trust, then Gold after the game game out, then Platinum, but if you just get over yourself and give it a go you'd be surprised at how well you'll do. Most pubs aren't too horrible, too. (Though some of the Silver ones specifically can be kinda braindead.)

Hell, there's even one person on my friends list that somehow seems to adjust his level of play to the level of difficulty, up or down. He plays Platinum like a boss, and can Vanguard Gold like it's not even a thing, but he'll actually go down every other wave on Bronze. He starts out every match by saying "dibs on first death" as a joke, and unless we're playing Platinum (where you don't really have time to track that kind of thing) he's usually right. It's amazing.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Enter Char posted:

Today I got booted from a gold game because apparently I was stealing kills by using tech bursts, coming ahead of two other players, and not dyeing all the time.

It was also my fault one of the players using a vanguard glitched out, because according to him, he hit my combat drone.

:psyduck:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Unlocked the Krogan Vanguard, and tried him out on silver with this decent pub guy I sometimes play with, who also had a Krogan vanguard. It was glorious. Meleeing Geth Primes erryday. :black101:

Sent you a friend req Origin name ChaosWombat. I'll play bronze with you if I happen to promote some class and wanna level them up again.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 14, 2012

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
Watching the FQE video, curiosity: Do we have confirmation/denial of the snippet at the end of the Mass Effect Wiki's page on Cryo Blast?

ME Wiki posted:

Cryo Blast does not increase damage against targets protected by Armor such as Atlases, Ravagers or Geth Pyros. Rather, it will decrease the damage reduction (from 100%) offered by armor plates protecting enemies such as Brutes, Cannibals after they devour a corpse, or Cannibals and Husks after they are given armor by a Marauder.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
That sounds wrong. Maybe it does that as well, but I'm pretty sure that cryo blast decreases the per-bullet penalty due to armour. So on gold armour removes 50 damage per bullet, and Cryo Blast/Warp decrease that to 75% of 50, or 50% of 50 with the proper upgrades. Homing Grenade also weakens armour.

It doesn't give you any bonus against armour, and doesn't affect powers or combos. Both Cryo Blast and Warp (and Proxy Mine) have separate effects that do increase all damage from all sources, though.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Used the Piranha for the first time :iia:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm on for a while on 360 as SonofSakai if anyone is playing. Anyone up for gold?

Kitschy Bitch
Jun 21, 2004
the mad whacker
When I feel like screwing around, I find me a krogan, get on a smashdept, and just Lash everything he looks at.

"Huh? Where did that nemesis go?"

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Enter Char posted:

Honestly it sounds like they did you a favor.

Felinoid posted:

Most pubs aren't too horrible, too. (Though some of the Silver ones specifically can be kinda braindead.)

Yeah to be fair most gold groups have at most one really awful player. There are some really bad players running gold though (see ^^^) so the bar is pretty low.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Typhoon works fine on groups of trash enemies; you start firing and don't stop til they're all dead. It's only when you get stragglers that it's really inefficient.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah to be fair most gold groups have at most one really awful player. There are some really bad players running gold though (see ^^^) so the bar is pretty low.
Yeah, I finish a lot of Gold games these days (and I quit every Geth / Gold / White). Getting to wave 6 is comparable to a full Silver run credit-wise, so it's worth it unless you have to dump a heap of consumables.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Honestly it sounds like they did you a favor.

I wanted to stay in the server and watch them make horrible excuses for why they suck actually.

The best part was that they're N7 rankings were over 2000 and they were talking about how I was going to be the worst player in the match because I'm only around 200.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I love my typhoon bullet hose Turian soldier. It's great fun when a big conga line of cannibals or whatever come walking towards you and you just mince the whole lot.

I'd love a typhoon bullet hose destroyer more, but the premium spectre boxes hate me (and I hate them back :argh:).

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a bug with the GPS? It seems like shots mysteriously do no damage half the time, even when charged, zoomed and with me watching the balls clearly hit the enemy model. I don't know if it's a lag issue because my overloads were hitting just fine, but Brutes would be right in my face and the shotgun wouldn't do anything.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Man, some pubbies. I pretty handily took top score in a round of WGG, but as I'm in the lobby waiting for the next round to start, I get a message from one of the other players informing me that "u suck." I reply that since I got way more kills than he did, he might want to reconsider that. Just as the next round starts, he sends a message that says I am a "kill stealer." Partway through the round, I get another one saying "LEAVE." He then proceeds to stand in front of me with his Krogan and heavy melee me in lieu of actually contributing to the game, but since my bullets go through him and I can still see where things are due to health bars and targeting boxes, this doesn't really stop me. Naturally, I got the top score again, getting double what my antagonist had.

Some people care waaaay too much about their e-peen, even when it's as ephemeral as round ranks that don't actually matter for anything. I'm not even sure why he thought I was being particularly kill-stealy. I kill things that show up in my reticle, I'm pretty sure that's how everyone plays it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Is there a bug with the GPS? It seems like shots mysteriously do no damage half the time, even when charged, zoomed and with me watching the balls clearly hit the enemy model. I don't know if it's a lag issue because my overloads were hitting just fine, but Brutes would be right in my face and the shotgun wouldn't do anything.
Now that you mentioned it, there was a match where I used it and thought I noticed the same thing. Just shrugged it off as lag issues.

On a similar note, I wasted three Cobra missiles in another match because they were duds. As in, the gun fired and used up a round, but nothing came out. And it's not like I missed and the shots went into the distance or anything, because I was in a closed room with two banshess right in front of me and there was a wall right behind them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Oh man, N7 Shadow is hilariously fun. Ninja stab dudes, run the gently caress away, never get caught, dodge errything.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Some people care waaaay too much about their e-peen, even when it's as ephemeral as round ranks that don't actually matter for anything. I'm not even sure why he thought I was being particularly kill-stealy. I kill things that show up in my reticle, I'm pretty sure that's how everyone plays it.

He was probably just a moron, but since you say he was playing a Krogan, it's somewhat possible you were stepping on his play by preventing him from getting rage mode. Vorcha and melee-focused Krogan are pretty much the only case where kill stealing is actually a thing, because they need credit for kills to stack bloodlust and trigger rage mode. If you're playing with somebody who is doing that kind of play, you can just pay attention to what they're killing and aim at something else a little further down the line, so they can get rolling.

Of course, even then he'd be an idiot, because that's a really dumb style to farm WGG with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Krogan and Vorcha will have a much better time on Cerberus/Glacier anyways, since you can run around and decimate entire spawns pretty quickly.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Captain McStabbin posted:

Do enemies only stay primed as long as they're in my annihilation field, or is there something I'm missing?
Exactly. You need to play as a complete lunatic because Annihilation Field will instantly disappear as soon as you are about six feet away. Just run in, throw to explode one enemy, turn, throw again because most of the other enemies will still be primed, and either step out of range, then back in to re-prime everything, or get the hell out and let your teammates mop up while your shields recharge. You have super-speed, so even if you aren't killing everything, you should be weakening it for your friends.

You also want the shield drain level 6 evolution for Annihilation Field and prioritize shielded enemies like Marauders for that sweet, sweet shield-stealing bonus, just like Energy Drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Am I missing something about Quarian Infiltrator? I have experience with 3 classes so far so this doesn't really mean anything but it's just seemed far weaker than the Turian Soldier I was rocking before. The damage bonus on cloak is only significant if I use the Mantis which is a pain on a lot of maps, sabotage doesn't seem very good, and sticky grenade is naturally very limited. So far the best strategy I've had with the class involves cloaking to get close and then annihilating with the Piranha, but I could just run up and do that as Turian without needing a skill. Carrying another weapon with that setup also means my abilities recharge very slowly, making sabotage seem even more pointless.

Does the cloak damage bonus work better with certain snipers I don't have yet (more versatile than Mantis)? The Raptor is definitely the best one I own but it's basically a Mattock and not much of a sniper. I don't have any non-default assault rifles, SMGs, or pistols either, so what packs would I be best off buying to get some weapon variety? I have a decent quantity of characters I haven't tried yet so I'm more interested in weapons right now.

• Locked thread