Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sanderson is great at WoT stuff because he gets to literally start with the Sanderson avalanche part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I think you mean two because nobody is going to find Hrathen uninteresting. :colbert:

i loved Elantris but generally found Hrathen and Serene to be pretty 'meh' until the end (when everything is interesting).

The correct answer will always be Raoden's POV

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Check out the German cover of The Alloy of Law. :clint:

http://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/229974812309716992/photo/1

Also shown is the UK cover for Elantris, which has been posted here previously, but is still so much better than the American version.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

American covers always suck, it's uncanny.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The US cover for Alloy of Law is actually okay, but that German cover is awesome and definitely way better. :clint: + :black101:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The US cover for Alloy of Law is actually okay, but that German cover is awesome and definitely way better. :clint: + :black101:

Yea, the US cover is actually one of the better fantasy covers I've seen in a while. The art is good and it's not over done. "Over done" seems to be a big issue with American covers, I'm not sure why either, as I've never heard anyone say positive things over the more minimalist covers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interesting interview with Brandon, and more examples of why he's so :3:.

http://fyi.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jul/20/q-fantasy-author-brandon-sanderson/

quote:

CP: You teach creative writing at Brigham Young University, right?

BS: Yeah, I got my masters degree there in English with a creative writing emphasis. While I was doing it, the teacher who was teaching the genre fiction-focused creative writing course wanted to retire. They came to me — I had a book deal at that point — and asked me if I wanted to take over the class. I've taught it these 10 years or so. It's the only class I teach. I wouldn't call myself a real professor, but I do have this one class I get to play with and have fun teaching as an adjunct every year.

quote:

CP: How many attempts did you make to publish before you wrote “Elantris?”

BS: “Elantris” was my sixth novel. I was working on my 13th when I sold “Elantris.”

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 31, 2012

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
So does he spend every single second of his life putting words into paper or something? Incredible.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

toanoradian posted:

So does he spend every single second of his life putting words into paper or something? Incredible.

Onto paper or into people it seems.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

quote:

CP: How many attempts did you make to publish before you wrote “Elantris?”

BS: “Elantris” was my sixth novel. I was working on my 13th when I sold “Elantris.”

I doubt this is that much different than a typical writer. Writing 5 or 6 before being published doesn't seem that abnormal. And saying "working on 13th" doesn't really mean much beyond he just continued writing while looking for a publisher for his "best" book. Also he likes to write short stories, so a lot of those are probably fairly brief.

The bigger surprise is his continued pace - most writers slow down a lot after getting popular, but he's continued his ridiculous output.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The's the power of the mormon work ethic! :eng101:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cicero posted:

The's the power of the mormon work ethic! :eng101:

Now that Brandon is finally finished with WOT, you would think the man would take a long rear end well earned vacation.

Nah.

Brandon Sanderson posted:

I'll be prewriting Stormlight 2 and editing The Rithmatist over the next few weeks. But I also want to write something new. So I'm going to write a short story and use Camtasia to screen capture it as I go. The good folks there were kind enough to give me a copy.

:what:

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Now that Brandon is finally finished with WOT, you would think the man would take a long rear end well earned vacation.

Nah.

:what:

Him livestreaming the writing process is going to look like a hacking scene in any cheesy tv show or movie, only it is real life.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

platero posted:

Him livestreaming the writing process is going to look like a hacking scene in any cheesy tv show or movie, only it is real life.

Or is this fantasy?

(Yes. Yes it is.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

Or is this fantasy?

(Yes. Yes it is.)

When the Sanderson Avalanche part hits, will you be caught in a landslide of escape from reality?

:v:

I really can't wait for Stormlight 2, the first was way more than I expected for a 10 book series.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Anyone out there looking for a good fantasy fix while awaiting the next Stormlight Archives book should check out Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

A friend recommended it to me, so despite the dumb title I decided to read it.

I just finished it and I have to say, it is easily the best series opening I have read since Way of Kings. Considering the fact that it's a self-published book from an unknown author, it's very impressive. I don't know where this guy came from, but knows how to write a drat good story.

Check out the reviews on Amazon (or just buy it, it's only $3).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When the Sanderson Avalanche part hits, will you be caught in a landslide of escape from reality?

:v:

I really can't wait for Stormlight 2, the first was way more than I expected for a 10 book series.

I'm so happy someone got that. I bet you liked Lightsong's humor too, didn't you. :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm so happy someone got that. I bet you liked Lightsong's humor too, didn't you. :)

:hfive:

Not gonna lie, as much as I roll my eyes at Sanderson's humor, I did enjoy Lightsong. Partly because everyone thought he was a douche, partly because I've been known to make similar jokes from time to time.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Theli posted:

Anyone out there looking for a good fantasy fix while awaiting the next Stormlight Archives book should check out Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

I just finished it and I have to say, it is easily the best series opening I have read since Way of Kings. Considering the fact that it's a self-published book from an unknown author, it's very impressive. I don't know where this guy came from, but knows how to write a drat good story.

I can't but agree with this. It was a great read I though and well worth the $3. Support this guy so I can get a sequel!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I can't but agree with this. It was a great read I though and well worth the $3. Support this guy so I can get a sequel!

I bought it as soon as I saw the reviews. I haven't got to start it yet, though.

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Theli posted:

Would also like to vouch for this book. Got it yesterday, am now halfway through. Great read!

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I bought it as soon as I saw the reviews. I haven't got to start it yet, though.

Same here. Bought it based on the recommendations in this thread.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Theli posted:

I really enjoyed this book as well, but was afraid of recommending it here because of SA's vitriolic hatred of The Name of the Wind, of which it very loosely resembles :ssh:.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I, too, bought Blood Song on Theli's reccomendation and if anything it's better than Name of the Wind (I have to admit I was not a fan of that book after the first half). Honestly though Blood Song doesn't need to be compared to anything, it's a top-shelf, legitimately great fantasy book with a protagonist who is simultaneously badass and sympathetic. None of the characters are memorably annoying, which is a feat in itself. Great book and I hope the author writes a lot more.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I downloaded it for reading after Forge of Darkness, but hopefully he'll get picked up by Tor or someone and won't have to self-publish if it's as good as everyone says.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hopefully. I don't have a Kindle and I live in Canada so I'm out of luck.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

toanoradian posted:

Saw him at a panel at an epic fantasy panel at a con, and he said he makes himself write so many words a day, no matter what.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Argas posted:

Hopefully. I don't have a Kindle and I live in Canada so I'm out of luck.

There's a free Kindle application you can download to read Kindle books on a PC and probably some other devices. Not a lot of people like reading whole books on their PC but I don't mind it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If you have basically any modern smartphone or tablet you can get a Kindle app for those as well.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I downloaded it for reading after Forge of Darkness, but hopefully he'll get picked up by Tor or someone and won't have to self-publish if it's as good as everyone says.

http://anthonystuff.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/an-announcement/

tl;dr: He signed a contract with Berkly Publishing group for print versions of the Ravens Shadow trilogy. Probably dropping sometime 2013.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yes, it is a very good book. I started and finished it last night. Ow, my back. It's a great book that is not hurt too badly by being self-published. I'm glad he got picked up. :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon posted a deleted scene from The Way of Kings.

:siren: Spoilers below, obviously you should have read the book before clicking. :siren:
http://brandonsanderson.com/library/147/The-Way-of-Kings-Prime-Jeksonsonvallano

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Brandon posted a deleted scene from The Way of Kings.

:siren: Spoilers below, obviously you should have read the book before clicking. :siren:
http://brandonsanderson.com/library/147/The-Way-of-Kings-Prime-Jeksonsonvallano

I'm glad he changed what he did. As far as I'm concerned the published version was superior.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Its decent, if a bit heavy handed writing. It does distract from the core stories of WoK though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really shows how much he's grown. This version was one of his many books that he wrote before he got Elantris published.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I've been binging on Sanderson lately. I read the Mistborn books, Alloy of Law, then Way of Kings. I'm having a tough time with Elantris though. It seems so much shallower than the others. The Elantris bits themselves are interesting, but so far the political and religious sections are very skimmable to me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phummus posted:

I've been binging on Sanderson lately. I read the Mistborn books, Alloy of Law, then Way of Kings. I'm having a tough time with Elantris though. It seems so much shallower than the others. The Elantris bits themselves are interesting, but so far the political and religious sections are very skimmable to me.

Its his first book, and it shows. The avalanche doesn't kick in till the last 1/4 or so, it can be a bit hard to get to that point. But the ending is good, stick with it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don't forget that August 31st is the release date for the exclusive leather hardback book for his new novella, Legion. Amazon has it up for pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/1596064854

Book description posted:

Brandon Sanderson is one of the most significant fantasists to enter the field in a good many years. His ambitious, multi-volume epics (Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive) and his stellar continuation of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series have earned both critical acclaim and a substantial popular following. In Legion, a distinctly contemporary novella filled with suspense, humor, and an endless flow of invention, Sanderson reveals a startling new facet of his singular narrative talent.

Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society. The action ranges from the familiar environs of America to the ancient, divided city of Jerusalem. Along the way, Sanderson touches on a formidable assortment of complex questions: the nature of time, the mysteries of the human mind, the potential uses of technology, and the volatile connection between politics and faith. Resonant, intelligent, and thoroughly absorbing, Legion is a provocative entertainment from a writer of great originality and seemingly limitless gifts.

Brandon said that an ebook version would be release on the same day as well.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I ordered the nice signed edition but I'm flying to Germany to live there for the next year on the day it's supposed to ship to my house. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't forget that August 31st is the release date for the exclusive leather hardback book for his new novella, Legion. Amazon has it up for pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/1596064854

Brandon said that an ebook version would be release on the same day as well.

i just ordered this so hard.

edit: looks like they've got preorders up for The Emperor's Soul too.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 14, 2012