Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Yes! Be happy you made a profit, and a great one at that. You'll go insane if you dwell on losses and potential profits from the past.

Not only that but it will generally cause you to chase a peak and end up losing more often than not. Nothing worse than chasing a peak and missing it only to take even more of a loss- or ending up holding longer and losing even more.

Be happy with profits you have, not ones you could have made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah I understand all that. But being that this is the same drat thing that has happened everytime I buy in on the ESPP. I hate HATE that the company we use doesnt allow trailing stops.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah I understand all that. But being that this is the same drat thing that has happened everytime I buy in on the ESPP. I hate HATE that the company we use doesnt allow trailing stops.

Whhhhhat? No trailing stops? :wtf:

But yeah you don't want to over-tune your system or whatever to catch the whole move as each trough to peak is different. You didn't lose money so move on and look for the next one.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of trailing stops, what system do you guys use to set them? I use R-Multiples, they've worked pretty well for me.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fundamentals of Seagate look great... but is anyone else concerned that with the world moving to solid state that Seagate is going to start running out of customers fairly quickly as SSD $/GB levels out? From what I've heard (I'm by no means an expert), hard drives have the advantage for now for server applications because the $/GB ratio is still a competitive advantage, and they have a longer read/write shelf life, but as more people adopt SSD and SSD becomes more reliable and cheaper I don't see how Seagate can maintain their current growth without substantial changes to their business model.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Dolphin posted:

The fundamentals of Seagate look great... but is anyone else concerned that with the world moving to solid state that Seagate is going to start running out of customers fairly quickly as SSD $/GB levels out? From what I've heard (I'm by no means an expert), hard drives have the advantage for now for server applications because the $/GB ratio is still a competitive advantage, and they have a longer read/write shelf life, but as more people adopt SSD and SSD becomes more reliable and cheaper I don't see how Seagate can maintain their current growth without substantial changes to their business model.

Interesting article on SSD vs HDD $/GB

Myth 2 addresses your concern, I think.

I'm long WDC and up about 50% so far.

Shrinkage fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 13, 2012

Sleepy Robot
Mar 24, 2006
instant constitutional scholar, just add astonomist
Could someone please explain to someone who knows virtually nothing about stocks (me) what just happened to KO. Wasn't it trading at around $80 just a few days ago? How is it at $40 now?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sleepy Robot posted:

Could someone please explain to someone who knows virtually nothing about stocks (me) what just happened to KO. Wasn't it trading at around $80 just a few days ago? How is it at $40 now?

It split. You should have twice as many shares at half the price now.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'm a fan of 3D printing stocks lately.. check out DDD and others in the space.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Turkeybone posted:

I'm a fan of 3D printing stocks lately.. check out DDD and others in the space.

The money's already made on DDD. They closed a marquee contract not that long ago.

Writing puts on CRM looks like a solid play today. Tying up 14.5k of buying power should get you ~$230 in five days, depending on commission. Or is there volatility I'm not seeing?

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 13, 2012

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shmoogy posted:

It split. You should have twice as many shares at half the price now.

did KO split again, I swear to god they don't even send information anymore. But I guess I went to 500 shares to 1000 shares (Can you guess what I don't pay attention too that often).

SWHC has made me a ton of money however.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

did KO split again, I swear to god they don't even send information anymore. But I guess I went to 500 shares to 1000 shares (Can you guess what I don't pay attention too that often).

SWHC has made me a ton of money however.
One would think the post-Obama gun bump would be over now.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Josh Lyman posted:

One would think the post-Obama gun bump would be over now.

I've bought it randomly after Romeny secured the nomination and it's paid back a fair bit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

I've bought it randomly after Romeny secured the nomination and it's paid back a fair bit.
I'm just bitter about basically only holding AAPL and NLY and feel like I've missed out on Dow 13,000.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm just bitter about basically only holding AAPL and NLY and feel like I've missed out on Dow 13,000.

If you've been holding AAPL you haven't missed out on anything. When did you get it? If you've had it a year it's up 67%. That's really good.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Dolphin posted:

I'm still on the fence about WDC and STX, but it's not because of SSDs. They've had great margins the past year or so because of the Thai floods and worldwide production capacity being greatly reduced. That capacity is coming back online now, and...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm bitter that my single biggest holding is in a semi-private company that can't really be sold. I use it borrow against.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

greasyhands posted:

I'm still on the fence about WDC and STX, but it's not because of SSDs. They've had great margins the past year or so because of the Thai floods and worldwide production capacity being greatly reduced. That capacity is coming back online now, and...

They were both making money hand over fist even before the floods though, back when that $85 would get you like 2TB. I think storage just may be something where there is truly an unquenchable demand.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone have thoughts on Chipotle (CMG)? They are down about 30% from a month ago because their last quarterly report was good and not awesome.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Chipotle (CMG)?

I think it looks like a good company with a hyped share. Not so sure it can grow into the hype without some major corrections along the way. They need to keep growing pretty hard to make the current P/E of 35 more palatable. They've only dipped their toes in international markets, tons of potential there. But I would be surprised if further expansion was sufficiently fast to sustain the current hype.

Speaking of hype, GoPro is looking to go public. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120801-721186.html Great product, huge market share, excellent candidate for a pump and dump job. I'm probably too pessimistic but it's sad to see good things get ruined by the stock market.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Smerdyakov posted:

I also burned my house down and lost 90% of my portfolio before I sort of figured them out.

Could elaborate on this? How did you manage to lose 90% of your portfolio -- or did you just mean 90% of tho value of your option holdings?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anyone holding S? I'm thinking about adding a good chunk to my portfolio. They just got an upgrade today and their operating income has been chugging along at a nice pace for the past few years.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Could elaborate on this? How did you manage to lose 90% of your portfolio -- or did you just mean 90% of tho value of your option holdings?

When options expire or are too far out of the money they're worthless. They also inherently lose value every day, they're closer to being worthless. If you don't understand what you're doing, or the risks, it's very easy to lose all your money very quickly.

E: I'm also hoping that shorting apple yesterday doesn't bite me in the rear end as they run to 700...

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shmoogy posted:

When options expire or are too far out of the money they're worthless. They also inherently lose value every day, they're closer to being worthless. If you don't understand what you're doing, or the risks, it's very easy to lose all your money very quickly.

E: I'm also hoping that shorting apple yesterday doesn't bite me in the rear end as they run to 700...

I believe that shorting AAPL as they run to 700 would bite you in the rear end. If you believe they are going to run to 700, why short?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ola posted:

Speaking of hype, GoPro is looking to go public. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120801-721186.html Great product, huge market share, excellent candidate for a pump and dump job. I'm probably too pessimistic but it's sad to see good things get ruined by the stock market.

You couldn't pay me to buy into a camera company, no matter how specialized.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Dolphin posted:

Is anyone holding S? I'm thinking about adding a good chunk to my portfolio. They just got an upgrade today and their operating income has been chugging along at a nice pace for the past few years.

I sold them off a few years ago with the whole Clearwire clusterfuck, then rebought them just after the whole AT&T/Tmobile mess. $5 is a pretty key interval as that seems to be an arbitrary lower bound for highflyer investors to get into a stock. If it stabilizes above that level it could go much higher, but Sprint has a history of doing and saying some really dumb things so I don't have 100% faith in them.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

I believe that shorting AAPL as they run to 700 would bite you in the rear end. If you believe they are going to run to 700, why short?
I shorted them when they hit 627 thinking there would be a downtrend to fill the gap, or that there would be resistance at 630. Turns out that 640 might have been a nice peak.

I'm going to probably lose a poo poo ton if they don't double back down soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm going to run a stock trading game for a class I'm teaching, i.e. start with $100,000 and buy/sell stocks for 15 weeks. What free websites would you guys recommend?

shensterz
Apr 24, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm going to run a stock trading game for a class I'm teaching, i.e. start with $100,000 and buy/sell stocks for 15 weeks. What free websites would you guys recommend?

We used marketwatch. Everything was fine/as expected except for an issue with IPOs where you could market order at the IPO price and instantly sell on the gap up when it opens.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I bought some VELT last week, jumped 12% today post earnings release. Worth holding onto or sell?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shensterz posted:

We used marketwatch. Everything was fine/as expected except for an issue with IPOs where you could market order at the IPO price and instantly sell on the gap up when it opens.
Just created a game there. Pretty nice customization options. $100,000 seems like a more reasonable starting portfolio value than $1m since I think the latter tends to make people careless. I'm allowing the students to short but not buy on margin. Hopefully none of them pull a JP Morgan. :v:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Microsoft may go to war to break Apple's tablet monopoly. Time to dump Microsoft for a couple of years while they spend some of their warchest.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Just created a game there. Pretty nice customization options. $100,000 seems like a more reasonable starting portfolio value than $1m since I think the latter tends to make people careless. I'm allowing the students to short but not buy on margin. Hopefully none of them pull a JP Morgan. :v:

Please don't let any of them put all $100k into penny stocks, or other wildly idiotic schemes. The one person that hits the lottery doing this always wins these type of things.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abagofcheetos posted:

Please don't let any of them put all $100k into penny stocks, or other wildly idiotic schemes. The one person that hits the lottery doing this always wins these type of things.
I did this in 4th grade.

ONE BILLION DOLLARS. I WIN THE GAME.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

sbaldrick posted:

So Microsoft may go to war to break Apple's tablet monopoly. Time to dump Microsoft for a couple of years while they spend some of their warchest.

I actually became more bullish on Microsoft earlier this year because they now have a product portfolio (Nokia smartphone, their own tablet). Interesting change but now they have to execute.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

abagofcheetos posted:

Well yeah, that's the only way you have a chance of winning a small timeframe game like this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

abagofcheetos posted:

They were both making money hand over fist even before the floods though, back when I think storage just may be something where there is truly an unquenchable demand.

I've often thought this. Aren't memory and storage quasi-commodified as it is?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

evilwaldo posted:

I actually became more bullish on Microsoft earlier this year because they now have a product portfolio (Nokia smartphone, their own tablet). Interesting change but now they have to execute.

Are you still bullish on them? I think the new Windows is gonna flop and that Steve Balmer should really step down for doing nothing with the company for a decade.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if trying to pick individual stocks is a complete gamble for the retail investor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Are you still bullish on them? I think the new Windows is gonna flop and that Steve Balmer should really step down for doing nothing with the company for a decade.

I'm pretty bullish on Microsoft, just their cash burn rate might go up. The new windows is such a change it could flop, however at 200 bucks Microsoft would destroy pretty much every hardware manufacture on the planet, even at 300 they would do a pretty good job.

Balmer should be fired. He's a better COO then CEO, after Gates stepped away the company stopped making serious strides to the future. As a company Microsoft needs a good Operations guy to keep it in line and a vision man to keep it moving (this is kind of the opposite of what Apple has had till Jobs died)