Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
It's late notice, but Sweetwater is doing a big thing for IPA Day today. They're pulling a bunch of Dank Tank kegs to tap and there will be food trucks. It's regular tour hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

venutolo posted:

Aren't all fast food burgers well done? I certainly would be terrified if I got a burger that looked medium rare from McDonald's.

Yeah, I wouldn't get a burger anything less than well done at any chain restaurant, or really any place unless I trust them to handle their ground beef properly. I doubt most chains would cook it less than well done for liability reasons, anyway.

If you haven't, you need to try the burger at Muss & Turner's; medium rare grass-fed beef from a local farm. It's my favorite burger by far.

On an unrelated note, Fox Brothers BBQ got squished by a tree last night, so they'll probably be closed for a bit.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

dennyk posted:

On an unrelated note, Fox Brothers BBQ got squished by a tree last night, so they'll probably be closed for a bit.

That stinks for them. I took a ribs class last weekend (and will be taking a pork and brisket class next weekend) at Fox Bros. and rather enjoyed myself.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Grindhouse is my favorite just plain loving burger and their fries are great too, you're all nuts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How does Miss Anne's rate?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

How does Miss Anne's rate?

Not worth the wait or MSG in my opinion.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whatchall think of kessler's spence review? http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/09/the-spence-restaurant-review-midtown/?cxntfid=blogs_food_and_more

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Waited for an hour to try out Ria's Bluebird for brunch today. Pancakes were pretty good but my scrambled eggs were dry and lukewarm. In hindsight I should have gotten the pancake special with the cherry compote. While I was satisfied by my food and the service was nice, I probably wouldn't wait for that long again to get a table. I'm not quite sure why anyone else does either... :iiam:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Never been, but I know others that go nuts over the brisket there at brunch.

I do like her other restaurant on Edgewood quite a bit, Sauced.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone is interested in ATL BBQ news...

Community Q have recently dropped their plans to open a Westside location on Marietta. They ran into some issue with city planning/approval and some grease trap costing them way more than desired. Too bad. I love their BBQ and would love to have a location minutes from home.

Fox Bros. is still working on a second location on Scott Blvd in Decatur. They've fired the original contractor and so are way behind schedule. The giant tree that fell on the original restaurant last week crushed a car, a van, and took out 80% of their indoor seating. Also, you should order the moist cut of the brisket when there.

Bone Lick BBQ (from the P'cheen people) is scheduled to open this coming week (if I recall correctly) on the Westside on Huff. I've heard and read good things about the BBQ nights at P'cheen, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.

venutolo posted:

Community Q have recently dropped their plans to open a Westside location on Marietta. They ran into some issue with city planning/approval and some grease trap costing them way more than desired. Too bad. I love their BBQ and would love to have a location minutes from home.

That's interesting given Dave Poe's is still operating in the city limits. Have their menus diverged all that much? I know they used to be pretty much identical.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Windyblade posted:

That's interesting given Dave Poe's is still operating in the city limits. Have their menus diverged all that much? I know they used to be pretty much identical.

The other Community Q location was going to be on the Westside on Marietta Street, not in Marietta, GA.

Assuming Sam's BBQ1 and Dave Poe's haven't changed their menus since last summer, they and Community Q have pretty identical menus. If I recall correctly, the prices at Sam's and Dave Poe's were higher than Community Q, and I thought Community Q's meat was a little better (but that is based on a small sample size of Sam's and Dave Poe's). Community Q does have more specials, such as their pretty great Kitchen Sink Salad and various vegetable sides.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
Hmm yes "on" and "in" are definitely different things, aren't they? :downs: And I've heard basically the exact same thing you have re: differences in menu/quality, which makes it an even bigger shame Community Q couldn't expand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I want to complain for a moment about West Egg. My girlfriend and I went out there for breakfast on Sunday. I had the pulled pork benedict, and my girlfriend had the short rib hash. They were both just okay. It felt like West Egg had all the right components, but the reason they had all the right components is that they're trendy, not because they had a very good idea what to do with them. Anyone else get that impression?

That said, their grits are great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

I want to complain for a moment about West Egg. My girlfriend and I went out there for breakfast on Sunday. I had the pulled pork benedict, and my girlfriend had the short rib hash. They were both just okay. It felt like West Egg had all the right components, but the reason they had all the right components is that they're trendy, not because they had a very good idea what to do with them. Anyone else get that impression?

That said, their grits are great.

I strongly dislike west egg. I have been to the place 3 times, and my food, service, and general experience has been pretty not great every time. I think your above assessment of the problem with their food is pretty spot on.

I really have no idea why that place is so crowded all the time. I'd literally rather eat waffle house than wait an hour to pay a bunch of money for mediocre brunch fare.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I don't really get West Egg either. I've always thought their food was mediocre and in no way worth waiting for a table. A friend had told me their PB&J (Pimento, Bacon, Tomato Jam) burger was really good, so I went back a couple months ago and the burger was worse than mediocre.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, hey, Mindphlux, when you get a chance, you should modify the OP. Chef Santiago closed Super Pan; I don't think it was getting the traffic he expected.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, hey, Mindphlux, when you get a chance, you should modify the OP. Chef Santiago closed Super Pan; I don't think it was getting the traffic he expected.

done :( I crossed out hachiguchi too :cry:

the op is pretty out of date, but just having to cross those two out has pretty much killed my will-to-update it further. wahhh

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

mindphlux posted:

done :( I crossed out hachiguchi too :cry:

the op is pretty out of date, but just having to cross those two out has pretty much killed my will-to-update it further. wahhh

Uh...I thought they were still open as Sushi Jr? I went there not too long ago. Did they close super recently?

VVV Hankook owns.

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 14, 2012

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Has anyone been to hankook Taqueria? I love the place. Great tacos, weird but good fries, gogi nachos.

http://www.hankooktaqueria.com/

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

kiresays posted:

Has anyone been to hankook Taqueria? I love the place. Great tacos, weird but good fries, gogi nachos.

http://www.hankooktaqueria.com/

I am currently at their other restaurant,Takorea right now. The menu is a bit larger, but more expensive. They are doing two dollar tacos today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

They also ownare partnered with the Yumbii food trucks. Head on down to Stoveworks on Krog St. tomorrow for lunch; you'll usually find them there.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2012

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Eh. I just don't get the food truck craze. I mean the food that I've had out of them is pretty good, but it is just over the top and stupid expensive.

I've had the blaxican, yumbii, and a handful of others, but the food just really doesn't merit that insane markup.

It may be due to atlantas busted rear end laws or something, but... now that I've been to most, I just have no desire to go to any of them again.

King of Pops is completely exempt though, they own, and they can have all my loving money. The Pineapple Habenero was like licking the crotch of a delicious angel.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I like West Egg, although I have to admit the food has been hit or miss depending on who is working in the back. I miss you, Chicken n' Dumplins Pot Pie.

venutolo posted:

Bone Lick BBQ (from the P'cheen people) is scheduled to open this coming week (if I recall correctly) on the Westside on Huff. I've heard and read good things about the BBQ nights at P'cheen, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I had Bone Lick BBQ today for lunch, they opened up today. Not sure what to make it so far, just that the BBQ sandwich and mac n' cheese left my mouth burning. Quite spicy.

Definitely will be going back, especially when they have beer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't really like Atlanta's version of the food truck thing either. it feels really forced, all these shiny trucks with their overpriced, not hugely imaginative, and extra expensive food. This coming from someone who once thought he'd enjoy giving it a spin.

and the 'food truck park' is the most ridiculous thing. I mean I guess it's helpful for owners to have a place to park, but as a 'destination' concept? who wants to drive somewhere to eat out of a food truck? that's like basically the exact opposite of what the food truck concept was originally, as far as I can tell.

I dunno, my food truck exposure has mainly come from flea markets in germany, where it's just filthy (delicious) kebaps, and then austin, where trucks didn't really feel trendy at all - half of them didn't seem capable of moving under their own power, and they were awesome more because they were cheap and good food rather than being trendy and eh food.

I dunno. tsplost blues gettin me down, but I wish Atlanta would just get with it already.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

I had Bone Lick BBQ today for lunch, they opened up today. Not sure what to make it so far, just that the BBQ sandwich and mac n' cheese left my mouth burning. Quite spicy.

Definitely will be going back, especially when they have beer.

I ate dinner there today. I thought it was good, but not exactly what I want in terms of BBQ. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my experience, but I kind of felt it was too refined for BBQ.

The (pork & pork &) beans were good, but I didn't love my pork sandwich. The ratio of slaw and pickles to pork was too high. Less slaw and pickles and more meat, and I would have liked it more.

It was their first day open, and I know not to make any judgments on such a small sampling on opening day, so I won't form any sort of permanent opinion yet. Anyway, I'm happy to have another BBQ place near home and will probably be visit with some regularity.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2012

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I ate dinner there today. I thought it was good, but not exactly what I want in terms of BBQ. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my experience, but I kind of felt it was too refined for BBQ.

The (pork & pork &) beans were good, but I didn't love my pork sandwich. The ratio of slaw and picks to pork was too high. Less slaw and pickles and more meat, and I would have liked it more.

It was their first day open, and I know not to make any judgments on such a small sampling on opening day, so I won't form any sort of permanent opinion yet. Anyway, I'm happy to have another BBQ place near home and will probably be visit with some regularity.

Was it just me, or was the sandwiches packed with jalapeņos? I was burning up after the mac n' cheese and sandwich. I also felt there was way too much of the cole slaw on top (and under) of the meat. Sneaky sneaky.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had the paella at La Fonda on westside. Very bland, not impressed.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

Was it just me, or was the sandwiches packed with jalapeņos? I was burning up after the mac n' cheese and sandwich. I also felt there was way too much of the cole slaw on top (and under) of the meat. Sneaky sneaky.

Doesn't the mac and cheese have jalapeņos?

I don't recall seeing any jalapeņos on the sandwich, but I think the rub on the pork had some heat. Both the pork & bean and pork sandwich were a bit spicy.

Josh Lyman posted:

I had the paella at La Fonda on westside. Very bland, not impressed.

I think you can pretty much just say "I had the [food item] at La Fonda. Very bland, not impressed". I've always thought their stuff was pretty mediocre and bland.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
South City Kitchen is mighty fine. Flat Iron steak came with a wonderful pablano steak sauce. Service was a bit cold though. Although the beer nerd within me was pretty wtf with them serving an IPA in a Pilsner glass. :goonsay:

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2012

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

WaterIsPoison posted:

South City Kitchen is mighty fine. Flat Iron steak came with a wonderful pablano steak sauce. Service was a bit cold though. Although the beer nerd within me was pretty wtf with them serving an IPA in a Pilsner glass. :goonsay:

South City in smyrna has a grapefruit martini that occasionally turns me gay for citrus.

True story.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

I think you can pretty much just say "I had the [food item] at La Fonda. Very bland, not impressed". I've always thought their stuff was pretty mediocre and bland.

I consistently enjoy their sandwiches, especially Bocadilla Latino, con Bistek, and con Chorizo. The one on Ponce is nice, especially the balcony. It can get windy, but the atmosphere overlooking the city in the evening is enjoyable.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

antisodachrist posted:

I am currently at their other restaurant,Takorea right now. The menu is a bit larger, but more expensive. They are doing two dollar tacos today.

I had no idea they had another one, if it's half as good as the one I usually go to I need to find it.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I consistently enjoy their sandwiches, especially Bocadilla Latino, con Bistek, and con Chorizo. The one on Ponce is nice, especially the balcony. It can get windy, but the atmosphere overlooking the city in the evening is enjoyable.

I pretty much only get the sandwiches. I agree with the other guy though, I've found their other stuff pretty bland. Maybe it's just the style of food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
another vote for 'la fonda is bland'

I've eaten plenty of cuban food at other places that was most definitely not bland, so I'm voting it's just la fonda's fault. I mean that salsa, it's like watery water. yeuck.

on the other hand, when you're in the mood for it, it's not that bad. just gotta be in the mood for bland food! :science:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
For Mexican food at least, I almost always end up at Bone Garden Cantina. What are some decent Cuban places?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

For Mexican food at least, I almost always end up at Bone Garden Cantina. What are some decent Cuban places?

havannah on buford, las palmeras on 5th street. that's all I got in my book.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I like Papi's but I guess that makes me a bad person.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'll throw Mojito Cafe in Johns Creek, Mojito's Cuban-American Bistro in Norcross, Cuban Diner in Roswell, Mambo's Cafe in Alpharetta, and Little Cuba in Chamblee out there. I don't think any are spectacular, but I think they're solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

havannah on buford, las palmeras on 5th street. that's all I got in my book.

Las Palmeras changed owners and its name recently. A local food critic bought it and it is now called Cruzado.