Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want a remaster of all 4 Wing Commander games, with the live action cutscenes redone in high-def. That or a reboot of the Wing Commander series would be amazing, but EA would never go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

I said come in! posted:

EA would never go for that.

They might, but the reboot would be an RTS, obviously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragonrah posted:

They might, but the reboot would be an RTS, obviously.

Worked so well for Syndicate. :negative:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You are behind the curve -- a rebooted Wing Commander would be a F2P browser game about collecting resources. Or a Chinese MMO like the new Dungeon Keeper.

GOG has that Anomaly Warzone with a 60% sale today. Not a bad game, but it's been featured on Humble Bundle before with both DRM-free and Steam versions, plus other games.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Saoshyant posted:

You are behind the curve -- a rebooted Wing Commander would be a F2P browser game about collecting resources. Or a Chinese MMO like the new Dungeon Keeper.

This came out a few years back: http://www.ea.com/wing-commander-arena

It has nothing to do with Wing Commander. It's closer to Subspace/Continuum than anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

404notfound posted:

It has nothing to do with Wing Commander. It's closer to Subspace/Continuum than anything.

You are awesome because I was just thinking the other day what the alternative name to Subspace is. It's Continuum. I haven't played that in years, but I had this urge to play again and see if anyone is still around.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

StickySweater posted:

Best version of the Wing Commander games is still the Kilrathi Saga versions. :colbert: I was disappointed with the GOG versions. Sound, controls and performance were clearly inferior.

I've still got my copy of TKS and am probably never going to give it up. It probably still goes for something like $200 now on Ebay. At one point, it wasn't uncommon to see a perfect condition one for around $300+.

I'm sure it is but that's not really an option. I'd just like a solution to my control problem. Its really not that terrible, I guess I just need to get use to my stick.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I really want a remaster of all 4 Wing Commander games, with the live action cutscenes redone in high-def. That or a reboot of the Wing Commander series would be amazing, but EA would never go for that.

You'd think so, but they brought back FMV for C&C.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Need some help: I purchased all 4 of the Wing Commander games(including Privateer 1) along with Freespace and its sequel. I haven't played much of FS yet but for WC1 is there anyway to lower joystick sensitivity at all? I got a 36$ thrustmaster HOTAS stick but I figured that would be more than enough for the space games. I'd really like to get some use out of my stick but its just so drat sensitive its hard to shoot anything..or maybe I'm just really bad and need to get use to the feel of the stick. This is the first one I've owned.

Personally I never figured out how to configure the joystick sensitivity in WC1/2 (and had similar issues) and ended up just playing them with the mouse, which worked fine. Mouse has the added advantage that you can adjust mouse sensitivity further in dosbox (which is not possible with the joystick).

StickySweater posted:

Best version of the Wing Commander games is still the Kilrathi Saga versions. :colbert: I was disappointed with the GOG versions. Sound, controls and performance were clearly inferior.

The WCKS versions have better music but are a total crapshoot when it comes to actually running them. What's that? You don't like hosed up colours or characters sliding off the edge of the screen during cutscenes? Guess you should be running win98 then.

E: In other news, I finally got around to trying out Aquanox, which I picked up on sale ages ago after hearing it described as underwater Descent.

And, well, it kind of is, although there's like a half-second delay between moving the mouse and the ship responding, which appears to be deliberate and is annoying as hell.

Also, how can a game have both writing and voice acting this bad. How :stonk:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 8, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I said come in! posted:

You are awesome because I was just thinking the other day what the alternative name to Subspace is. It's Continuum. I haven't played that in years, but I had this urge to play again and see if anyone is still around.
I played Continuum a while back and there were still populated servers. It was pretty awesome.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Subspace is a game that I don't believe will ever stop having well populated servers in my lifetime. It's positively timeless.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alchenar posted:

You'd think so, but they brought back FMV for C&C.

And thank god for that, because otherwise we wouldn't have got to see Tim Curry travelling back in time to murder Einstein. Also Autumn Reeser in uniform.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
No, no, no, no. A rebooted Wing Commander series would be primarily involved with dressing your pretty princess.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
Today's release is Legacy of Kain: Defiance for $5.99

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lockmat posted:

Today's release is Legacy of Kain: Defiance for $5.99

Ugh, who owns Blood Omen these days? Defiance is a pretty good game when I played it on PS2. Don't know how well it has aged.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I guess nobody saw or cared about this weekend's deal.

Super Summer Selection with Cossacks Anthology, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, Worms United, Superfrog, Alien Breed + Tower Assault, and World Rally Fever: Born on the Road at 50% off.

Superfrog is the only one that looks really good to be since I love 2D platformers. Is it good for $3?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

ToxicFrog posted:

Personally I never figured out how to configure the joystick sensitivity in WC1/2 (and had similar issues) and ended up just playing them with the mouse, which worked fine. Mouse has the added advantage that you can adjust mouse sensitivity further in dosbox (which is not possible with the joystick).

The WCKS versions have better music but are a total crapshoot when it comes to actually running them. What's that? You don't like hosed up colours or characters sliding off the edge of the screen during cutscenes? Guess you should be running win98 then.

E: In other news, I finally got around to trying out Aquanox, which I picked up on sale ages ago after hearing it described as underwater Descent.

And, well, it kind of is, although there's like a half-second delay between moving the mouse and the ship responding, which appears to be deliberate and is annoying as hell.

Also, how can a game have both writing and voice acting this bad. How :stonk:

Yeah, I'm trying mouse now and its a lot better. I'm a little sad though because I liked the stick, are there any really good stick games on GoG? I have WC1-4 and both Freespace games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Ugh, who owns Blood Omen these days? Defiance is a pretty good game when I played it on PS2. Don't know how well it has aged.

It, along with Soul Reaver 1, is easily the best game in the series from a gameplay perspective. I'm pretty sure Square owns both Blood Omens as well, but Blood Omen 1 definitely hasn't aged well and Blood Omen 2 was trash when it came out.

I hope they show up eventually just so the whole LoK series is available in the same place, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 11, 2012

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Yeah, I'm trying mouse now and its a lot better. I'm a little sad though because I liked the stick, are there any really good stick games on GoG? I have WC1-4 and both Freespace games.

The original Descent games are pretty fun with a joystick. Speaking of which, does anyone know of any mods for descent that make the ship bounce up and down less/not at all. Manuevering wildly in 3 dimensions does nothing to me, but that damned bouncing gives me a headache after a little while.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Medicinal Penguin posted:

The original Descent games are pretty fun with a joystick.

Playing an FPS with a joystick feels really weird to me, but I know some people who swear by it.

I-War 1 and 2 are pretty good and work well with a joystick, although you might want a gamepad or HOTAS instead; there's a lot of axes to manage.

quote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any mods for descent that make the ship bounce up and down less/not at all. Manuevering wildly in 3 dimensions does nothing to me, but that damned bouncing gives me a headache after a little while.

I'd actually completely forgotten the wobble despite playing a lot of Descent recently. I'm not sure if it's more subtle in DXX-Rebirth or if I just don't notice it anymore. It only happens when you're not moving anyways, which should hardly ever happen. :v:

There's no option for plain D1/D2 or Rebirth to disable it. D2X-XL, however, has a "ship wobble" option under Misc that lets you turn it off, though. I forget if Descent 3 has it (or, if it does, whether it has an option to disable it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Excited that the entire LoK series is on GOG now. I've never played it on the PC before -- are hotkeys fully customizable for all 3 games?

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Amazon has a Dotemu backed pack on sale for $10: http://www.amazon.com/DotEmu-41130s-EMU-Pack1-Enormous/dp/B008VH6FQW/

Little Big Adventure 1+2, 7th Guest + 11th Hour, Irem collection and more. Should all be DRM free, though Amazon does restrict its digital purchases to people with a US billing address.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Excited that the entire LoK series is on GOG now. I've never played it on the PC before -- are hotkeys fully customizable for all 3 games?

Except, you know, Blood Omen. :negative:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is now on GOG for $9.99 and Gear Gear Isuka is $5.99.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Angel of Darkness isn't worth the bandwidth it cost to download it. It has the most unimaginative levels and designs in the series and commits the sin of giving you a grip meter which ultimately ruins the pacing. After Tomb Raider 2 the locations started getting a little mundane with military bases and stuff, but I don't even remember any place that could be considered a "Tomb" in Angel of Darkness. I hope you like the rooftops of Paris, platform hopping through a night club, massive sewers, sneaking through the Louvre while dodging lasers like loving Splinter Cell, some caves, creepy laboratories, and other settings that don't belong in a game called TOMB Raider.

gently caress.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Angel of Darkness isn't worth the bandwidth it cost to download it. It has the most unimaginative levels and designs in the series and commits the sin of giving you a grip meter which ultimately ruins the pacing. After Tomb Raider 2 the locations started getting a little mundane with military bases and stuff, but I don't even remember any place that could be considered a "Tomb" in Angel of Darkness. I hope you like the rooftops of Paris, platform hopping through a night club, massive sewers, sneaking through the Louvre while dodging lasers like loving Splinter Cell, some caves, creepy laboratories, and other settings that don't belong in a game called TOMB Raider.

gently caress.
I like to think they were warning people off on the game's page with "this Tomb Raider game feels more like a Dan Brown novel than an Indiana Jones movie.".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Angel of Darkness was so bad it literally killed Core and put the entire Tomb Raider franchise on hold for several years. I'm legitimately surprised SquarEidos even wants anyone to be able to buy it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
drat. I am severely disappointed with how badly Privateer has aged. The mouse controls are bad, voice acting is terrible, and the UI overall is clunkly and difficult to use (Really? I have to look up how much the ships cost in the manual?).

I nostalgia'd really hard on it, but couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SquadronROE posted:

drat. I am severely disappointed with how badly Privateer has aged. The mouse controls are bad, voice acting is terrible, and the UI overall is clunkly and difficult to use (Really? I have to look up how much the ships cost in the manual?).

I nostalgia'd really hard on it, but couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

You might want to try the remake:
http://privateer.sourceforge.net/

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That looks pretty amazing, thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ulmont posted:

Wot's this? Is it complete?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

doctorfrog posted:

Wot's this? Is it complete?

It claims to be, including Righteous Fire.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ulmont posted:

I think I may have just made a little mess.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Hahaha, Angel of Darkness is maintaining an average 2.5/5 and its top three reviews are all negative. When was the last time that ever happened, MoO3? Empire Earth 3?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I remember when Angel of Darkness came out almost a decade ago. I can't understand why anyone would play it then, and I can't understand why anyone would play it now.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hakkesshu posted:

It, along with Soul Reaver 1, is easily the best game in the series from a gameplay perspective. I'm pretty sure Square owns both Blood Omens as well, but Blood Omen 1 definitely hasn't aged well and Blood Omen 2 was trash when it came out.

I hope they show up eventually just so the whole LoK series is available in the same place, though.

The first blood omen was a fantastic game, it just wasn't anything like soul reaver in gameplay. The loading times make it hard to play now unfortunately. I don't know how well it would run on modern windows systems but it does work in wine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

andrew smash posted:

The first blood omen was a fantastic game, it just wasn't anything like soul reaver in gameplay. The loading times make it hard to play now unfortunately. I don't know how well it would run on modern windows systems but it does work in wine.

The loading times on the PC version aren't that bad (in the PS version there's a load screen every time you enter the inventory), but I definitely don't think it holds up in general. The atmosphere is still great (best music in the series, probably), but it has a lot of annoying loving poo poo in it and the difficulty is all over the place. Once you reach Avernus cathedral it completely ceases to be fun.

It's still worth playing because of how the plot figures into later games, but using cheat codes will do you good.

Blood Omen 2 is just lovely all over and since it was made by a different creative team, doesn't have many plot ties other than a few mentions of Janos Audron, as I recall.

Sidenote, but Darksiders 2 is basically like a new Soul Reaver game, both in spirit and in tone. It's loving good.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Guilty Gear X2's only 6 bucks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To me, Blood Omen was the adult Zelda. The world was huge, there was a lot of optional content (like the moon warps), and the powerups were cool as poo poo. What other game lets you turn into a werewolf, ghost, bat, rip the skin off people, cause them into melt into pools of acidic goo, turn them against each other, or even take over their bodies? Yeah, the game got stupidly hard at times but there was usually an ability you overlooked that would help out.

Kain is also the coolest vampire in video game history. The fact that he can drain blood by having it FLY ACROSS THE ROOM INTO HIS MOUTH probably cements him as the coolest vampire in history.

And the voice acting? Don't get me started. Mid-90s voice acting wasn't known for its quality but Blood Omen was one of the earliest title where the voice cast was fantastic all around.

quote:

"Havoc and Malice. Their presence in my hands keeps me from employing magic, yet rest assured they do little to hamper my relish for slaughter."

Still sends chills down my spine just reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
On the flip side, that motherfucker loves to talk. Also, HEEEEEEEEY VICTUS! HAH HAH HAAAAAAAH!