Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

teraflame posted:

Blackwidow has shoddy build quality, ugly font, and unnecessary row of keys.

Definitely this. Wish the Quickfire Rapid had been out when I was choosing, the build quality is a lot better. If you don't need a numpad, i'd recommend that since it's ~80 for browns and 65 for blues from amazon (here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

teraflame posted:

Rosewills are a good buy if you need a numpad. Blackwidow has shoddy build quality, ugly font, and unnecessary row of keys.

I was checking out Rosewills and they look pretty good. I just wish I could buy one for less than $100. I'm already having trouble justifying $70 for a keyboard. I don't mind how the Blackwidow looks at all, but if the quality really is that terrible then I'll look elsewhere.

That Coolermaster one looks good, and I've always had good experiences with the Coolermaster brand. I might be able to get over the lack of a numpad now that I thought about the smaller footprint it would have. Some of the keys look a bit stupid (spacebar = "Quick Fire"! :haw:) but I don't really care how it looks. Thanks for the input.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

wa27 posted:

I was checking out Rosewills and they look pretty good. I just wish I could buy one for less than $100. I'm already having trouble justifying $70 for a keyboard. I don't mind how the Blackwidow looks at all, but if the quality really is that terrible then I'll look elsewhere.

That Coolermaster one looks good, and I've always had good experiences with the Coolermaster brand. I might be able to get over the lack of a numpad now that I thought about the smaller footprint it would have. Some of the keys look a bit stupid (spacebar = "Quick Fire"! :haw:) but I don't really care how it looks. Thanks for the input.

I don't really notice the branding that much - I hardly look at keys. I also kind of like the slight texture it gives, personally. And if the branding really drives you crazy, new windows + space bar keys would be like 5 bucks to replace.

e: I know 70-100 seems like a lot for a keyboard, but they last a very long time with proper care/not spilling beer on them.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 1, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

^ I have my Filco Majestouch for over 2 years. It works absolutely perfectly.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Tedronai66 posted:

Definitely this. Wish the Quickfire Rapid had been out when I was choosing, the build quality is a lot better. If you don't need a numpad, i'd recommend that since it's ~80 for browns and 65 for blues from amazon (here).

If you can get over the stupid branding the Coolermaster keyboard is awesome. Another option is that you can always buy the keyboard and get a new set of key caps later.

I have one with the Blues and love it. Sadly the Browns where not an option when I bought mine or I would have bought one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KaneTW posted:

^ I have my Filco Majestouch for over 2 years. It works absolutely perfectly.

I'm going on 2 years on my Filco; still is a god drat beast of a keyboard.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

teraflame posted:

Rosewills are a good buy if you need a numpad. Blackwidow has shoddy build quality, ugly font, and unnecessary row of keys.

Blackwidows do normally have a numpad. It looks like they've recently added a tenkeyless option, but that's not the most common model by any means. I'd still recommend nearly any other keyboard before the Blackwidow, but it's a good cheap option as long as you don't blow money on the "ultimate" version. I've had one for a year and a half and it's still working nicely, though I don't really use it much anymore.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

wa27 posted:

I was checking out Rosewills and they look pretty good.

If you haven't bought anything yet, newegg has the Rosewill with browns on sale for 80 shipped.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

If you haven't bought anything yet, newegg has the Rosewill with browns on sale for 80 shipped.

Thanks for the tip, I just bought it. I've never used brown switches but it sounds like I'd like them.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

wa27 posted:

Thanks for the tip, I just bought it. I've never used brown switches but it sounds like I'd like them.

They've become my favorite. A slight bit of tactile feedback but less force to press than the blues take. When you're typing (be it at work or at home) for 12+ hours a day, it matters.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
What's the best bang for my buck if I live in the US and want a mechanical tenkeyless?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pokecapn posted:

What's the best bang for my buck if I live in the US and want a mechanical tenkeyless?

The CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is the cheapest high quality tenkeyless. It's made by the same OEM as Filco boards but costs around half as much (~$70 or less on sale vs. ~$140). The other CM boards are made by a different OEM and are probably not quite as solid.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Rexxed posted:

The CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is the cheapest high quality tenkeyless. It's made by the same OEM as Filco boards but costs around half as much (~$70 or less on sale vs. ~$140). The other CM boards are made by a different OEM and are probably not quite as solid.

Sorry, I should have specified Cherry Browns.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pokecapn posted:

Sorry, I should have specified Cherry Browns.

It's available in all switch types, though Black and Brown are a recent addition so that there's some issues with stock. It's about 80 bucks from the CM store: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

It's a lot more on amazon, probably due to the stock issues, you could look around and see if there's anywhere cheaper but since it's fairly new there may not be too many sales yet.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Picked up a Ergo 4000 two months back after reading this thread. I love it. Especially the reverse-incline: I twitch every time I see a keyboard up on it's lil' kickstands now.

Only thing that irritates me is that the central switch is zoom rather than scroll. Which idiot's idea was that?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Rexxed posted:

It's available in all switch types, though Black and Brown are a recent addition so that there's some issues with stock. It's about 80 bucks from the CM store: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

It's a lot more on amazon, probably due to the stock issues, you could look around and see if there's anywhere cheaper but since it's fairly new there may not be too many sales yet.

Newegg also has it. I had a shop runner trial so I had free 2 day shipping.

Although I need to contact cm. the left alt key I have to press very hard on the left edge to get it to register. Do they cross ship?
I don't think I've spilled anything on this, since I now have a lower platform for drinks nothing goes over my peripherals.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tedronai66 posted:

Newegg also has it. I had a shop runner trial so I had free 2 day shipping.

Although I need to contact cm. the left alt key I have to press very hard on the left edge to get it to register. Do they cross ship?
I don't think I've spilled anything on this, since I now have a lower platform for drinks nothing goes over my peripherals.

I'm not sure if they cross-ship, I got the one with blue switches and it's been fine. It's likely that there's a plastic burr on your switch stem or something that's causing some issue and the switch will need to be replaced. The old geekhack wiki had an article on attempting to fix sticky switches but it got wiped out. The first step was usually to desolder the switch anyway which would probably void your warranty. I'd check out: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/support/32/

They have a faq about sticking or squeeking (sic) keys:

quote:

Some of my keys are squeeking or get stuck
Longer than standard size keys use metal balancer levers to ensure steady button movement.
These metal balancers need to be greased to function properly.
If you notice any squeeking or keys getting stuck, this is probably a result of not having enough grease on the balancers. You can try to add some grease yourself, but you might damage or break the keyboard, so unless you know what you are doing please contact our support and ask them for advice.

If you have any further questions or problems please contact us.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure if they cross-ship, I got the one with blue switches and it's been fine. It's likely that there's a plastic burr on your switch stem or something that's causing some issue and the switch will need to be replaced. The old geekhack wiki had an article on attempting to fix sticky switches but it got wiped out. The first step was usually to desolder the switch anyway which would probably void your warranty. I'd check out: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/support/32/

They have a faq about sticking or squeeking (sic) keys:

It's not squeaking, and it's short enough to not use a stabilizer. I'll give them a call or livechat on my lunch. It's not too bad, but left-alt+space is my muscle memory key combo for FARR. Plus alt-tabbing is hard as hell with that key. Since I just got it 2-3 weeks ago, hopefully they'll be good about it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well I got my Rosewill with browns today and I really like it. The only problem I've had adjusting so far is that I sometimes hold a key down longer than I think, so I might end up capitalizing the first two letters of a sentence, or sending ctrl+a+backspace (which can do some weird things sometimes) when I want to do ctrl+a THEN backspace. I'm sure I'll adjust eventually though.

The build quality seems great overall, but I definitely see what people were talking about with the loose USB port. I don't move my keyboard around so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A little bit of a change of pace from the fancy mechanicals you guys like.

I've recently bought a Thinkpad T430s and its made me realise just how bad my Logitech G15 is for typing on. Question is are any of the Lenovo desktop keyboards worth buying?

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...ywords=Keyboard

I had a Lenovo desktop at a previous job and the keyboard was unremarkable so I know that they aren't all as good as the laptop ones.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

dissss posted:

I've recently bought a Thinkpad T430s and its made me realise just how bad my Logitech G15 is for typing on. Question is are any of the Lenovo desktop keyboards worth buying?

I had a Lenovo desktop at a previous job and the keyboard was unremarkable so I know that they aren't all as good as the laptop ones.

Well, the USB Thinkpad keyboard is just what the name says, so if you really love your Thinkpad keyboard you can have the same on your desk.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

dissss posted:

A little bit of a change of pace from the fancy mechanicals you guys like.

The standalone Thinkpad-style keyboards allegedly have a deficiency that's annoying enough for me to never consider getting one (without confirmation that it's fixed). I forget what it is, look at the Amazon reviews if you're interested in knowing what it is. So I'd avoid that one.

As for the other Lenovo keyboards, I haven't used them, but they're probably medium/good office keyboards, and I'd say the same estimate about the hypothetical choice of Microsoft keyboard.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Any recommendations on mechanical keyboards with 105-key UK layout? WASD Keyboards and the Das keyboard come in the layout but what I really want is something cheaper like the Leopold Tenkeyless Brown in the layout.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured this group would have a good answer.

I have a WASD Keyboard and an older Gsomething Logitech gaming keyboard with the screen that displays stuff and what not. The WASD is obviously the bomb compared to that, but I find myself really missing the circle scroll volume control on the Logitech keyboard when gaming.

What's the best solution for using the WASD keyboard and being able to control volume without having to ALT+TAB. Is there a good software that you folks use?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

CancerStick posted:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured this group would have a good answer.

I have a WASD Keyboard and an older Gsomething Logitech gaming keyboard with the screen that displays stuff and what not. The WASD is obviously the bomb compared to that, but I find myself really missing the circle scroll volume control on the Logitech keyboard when gaming.

What's the best solution for using the WASD keyboard and being able to control volume without having to ALT+TAB. Is there a good software that you folks use?

I personally use the program "sharpkeys" to rebind my numpad +/- keys to volume media keys, as well as "/" and "*" for pause and next, respectively.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

CancerStick posted:

I installed AutoHotKey, and made a simple script to emulate media keys. The script is pretty simple.
code:
F7::Send {Volume_Down}

F8::Send {Volume_Up}
Just replace F7 and F8 with whatever key you want to use. It's not as nice as dedicated media keys, but I haven't found a better alternative.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I use VoluMouse to adjust my volume, specifically, by holding alt and using mousewheel, but you can set it up however you'd like.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I got my WASD a few days ago and I'm loving it. I got a bit of abuse in the "What did you just buy" thread for the "design", but I need it gaudy to stand out with the subpar lighting at night (and I kinda preffered it lairy and different). I got Cherry blacks as I don't do anything typing intensive and is mainly for gaming but I did grab duplicate keycaps for the Yellow/Orange/Green keys all in white with default text. Huge step up from my previous keyboard though.

I may replace the Space bar with the White one considering I managed to gently caress up the amount of hyphens in the process :downsbravo:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Haters 'gon hate.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Cream_Filling posted:

Haters 'gon hate.

To be fair though, it's pretty drat horrible.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
The white keys are pretty nice but the yellow is crap and the green is the worst.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
The Unicomp EnduraPro custom came in today.

Black/Black/Blank is nice, but I'd have preferred they be textured for the whole key like the top of the key and the chassis itself. Unfortunately, they're a glossy black on the sides.

The keys themselves feel great to type on. No idea how they'll do in gaming as far as key rollover goes, but if that's a problem, I can always toss in another keyboard if I need it. Since I'm doing less FPS games these days, I don't think it'll be that big an issue.

The chassis looks and feels very industrial...more function over form. I happen to like that philosophy, but if someone's looking for perfection, they may not like the subtle blemishes on the keys (from the molding process). The USB cable is on the right side of the keyboard, but the cable won't fit in the path, due to it being too thick.

The Trackpoint, I'm torn on. Unfortunately, it's not as...tight...as the Trackpoint in my Thinkpad, EliteBook, or Latitude. There's actual wiggle room before it starts moving. The keys themselves have a lot of travel before they activate. It reminds me a lot of the Trackpoint IV I used to have about a decade ago for the keys, although its Trackpoint was more firm. I found out it will take the classic dome caps that I have from my Thinkpad, but not the soft dome ones, as their hole is too large.

I've only been typing on it as long as this thread...but so far I really like it.

NecessaryEvil fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 15, 2012

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
I'm looking for a wireless keyboard with one or two USB ports.

It doesn't have to be amazing, but I would like something decent.

Anyone have any recommendations?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Wireless USB? I don't think anything like that exists as a single device.
Even searching for wireless USB is hard due to the plethora of results for USB Wifi adaptors.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

Thirsty Thursday posted:

For that to work you'd need a minimum of 4 batteries just to provide 5V to USB. I don't even want to think about how much battery drain plugging things in would cause. I highly doubt you'll find anything.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well gently caress, I am sick of waiting to be able to pick up any sort of Coolermaster Storm keyboard with Cherry Browns in the UK. I'm now thinking of picking up something else with Browns to tide me over until I can actually get one, and then either ebaying that or moving it to my work computer. Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm looking at the Filco Majestouch, but £120 seems a little nuts especially given it's just a basic keyboard with no extra features. Is there a good reason it's this much?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

chippy posted:

Well gently caress, I am sick of waiting to be able to pick up any sort of Coolermaster Storm keyboard with Cherry Browns in the UK. I'm now thinking of picking up something else with Browns to tide me over until I can actually get one, and then either ebaying that or moving it to my work computer. Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm looking at the Filco Majestouch, but £120 seems a little nuts especially given it's just a basic keyboard with no extra features. Is there a good reason it's this much?

High build quality, mostly. Apart from being a mechanical keyboard of course. I have a Filco and it was worth every penny.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thirsty Thursday posted:

Yeah, I don't think this exists. Getting USB to work over wireless is non-trivial. Stuff is in the works for an upcoming USB over wireless system, but nothing is available yet to my knowledge.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chippy posted:

Do you guys have Newegg / Rosewill products? In the US, they regularly have deals dropping the price down to CM Storm levels, around $80 American.

The reason Filcos cost so much is partly low volume and partly because they're built really solidly with lots of metal and most have NKRO.

I wouldn't really go in for "extra features" except for maybe NKRO, since most are pretty useless unless you really need tons of kind of janky hardware macro programming or something. Maybe media keys, if you're into that sort of thing, but there's ways around that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cream_Filling posted:

Do you guys have Newegg / Rosewill products? In the US, they regularly have deals dropping the price down to CM Storm levels, around $80 American.

The reason Filcos cost so much is partly low volume and partly because they're built really solidly with lots of metal and most have NKRO.

I wouldn't really go in for "extra features" except for maybe NKRO, since most are pretty useless unless you really need tons of kind of janky hardware macro programming or something. Maybe media keys, if you're into that sort of thing, but there's ways around that anyway.

I can't find any Rosewill stuff in the UK. In fact I'm having a lot of difficulty finding anything at all with browns in.

I think you're right about features, I was mildly interested in the full backlighting and macro keys on the CM Storm Trigger, but they are by no means a dealbreaker. I'm quite happy to pay for Filco if the build quality etc really is that good, so maybe I'll just go for that. I'm not actually that fussed about media keys. More than anything it's obviously the typing/gaming feel I'm after, I think I've settled on wanting brown switches but I wish there was somewhere I could go and try them all out.

Oh, 1000Hz polling was interesting to me as well, but am I right in thinking that PS/2 keyboards aren't even polled and just generate an interrupt when a key is pressed? And that this would lead to a faster response anyway?

Also does anyone know the differentce between the Ninja and regular Majestouch? Is it just that the keycaps are printed on the front instead of the top or is their something else?

• Locked thread