Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also, what RNG factors exactly can you "max out" to eliminate them and increase the chances of getting a character or weapon I want?
The way I understand it is that each slot rolls first for rarity, then for type (gun/mod/gear/character), then for which particular model. It doesn't give models you're already maxed on, but if it rolls a type and you're maxed out on all models, it gives you a consumable (ammo power/weapon amp/armor power) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Paracelsus posted:

I had a bad string of buying VPs and just getting consumables because my UC characters are all maxed out and the RNG loves characters a lot more than mods or gear. I buy PSPs because I know I'll still at least get something other than consumables out of the rares, and I think it's more efficient in the long run, since once you're done filling out your UC slots with VPs you still need to buy just as many PSPs to fill out your rares and URs as you would if you'd started buying them in the first place.

For roughly the price of 3 PSPs you can get 5 spectre packs (297k vs 300k), by saving 3k credits you get: 6 rares instead of 5, and 9 trash drops instead of 20. Buying SPs is economical if you don't really care about rares and are in need of gear, consumables, etc. but still want to unlock gold/black shits.

e: clarity

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 14, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The second last slot in a regular spectre is almost always an uncommon or better and they have a much higher chance of coughing up gear/weapon mods. The guaranteed slot in the veteran will almost always be a character or gun. So one the whole you come out ahead on uncommons and especially for gear/mods.

When that second slot isn't uncommon it's because it got upped to a rare and you've come out ahead on rares. You also get more gel/etc. because you got +5 twice instead of +3 and +5. You're consumables are also all lvl. 3 instead of a mix of 2 & 3.

If you're looking specifically for uncommon guns/characters then yes the veterens are a better buy, and if you're looking only for rares then go PSP. If you want the best overall value then buy the regular spectres.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lagomorphic posted:

The second last slot in a regular spectre is almost always an uncommon or better and they have a much higher chance of coughing up gear/weapon mods. The guaranteed slot in the veteran will almost always be a character or gun. So one the whole you come out ahead on uncommons and especially for gear/mods.

When that second slot isn't uncommon it's because it got upped to a rare and you've come out ahead on rares. You also get more gel/etc. because you got +5 twice instead of +3 and +5. You're consumables are also all lvl. 3 instead of a mix of 2 & 3.

If you're looking specifically for uncommon guns/characters then yes the veterens are a better buy, and if you're looking only for rares then go PSP. If you want the best overall value then buy the regular spectres.

Right, that's a good point on the consumables!

I guess if you still have both, plenty of silver and gold stuff to unlock (and are not going for any particular type yet), SPs can be a decent value then!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm going on vacation soon, and I won't be around for the next weekend op (assuming the next one will follow the schedule these last bunch have, which means it should be August 24th to the 26th). Even if I don't complete the squad goal, I can just go online to EA Customer Support and have a live chat with somebody and get my Commendation Pack anyway? I'm on the 360.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm going on vacation soon, and I won't be around for the next weekend op (assuming the next one will follow the schedule these last bunch have, which means it should be August 24th to the 26th). Even if I don't complete the squad goal, I can just go online to EA Customer Support and have a live chat with somebody and get my Commendation Pack anyway? I'm on the 360.

Doubt it, since you have to have the Feedback whatever turned on to get them in the first place, and that probably tells them whether you earned it or not after they look into it a bit.

But try it out, maybe it'll work.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Thanks for the breakdown on the numbers behind Spectre packs. I'll switch to that strategy since I still have a number of silver unlocks to go.

Eventually I'll get the dang N7 Paladin. But yes, I do need more consumables and more silver gear. My current consumables is at 0/2/0/255. (The mystery of which one is 255 dies with me.)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Doc Dee posted:

Doubt it, since you have to have the Feedback whatever turned on to get them in the first place, and that probably tells them whether you earned it or not after they look into it a bit.

But try it out, maybe it'll work.

Yes, Bioware has the info. However, that doesn't mean that customer support gets access to it. And if even if they do, they still don't check a drat thing. You could not play the game for a bloody month and then ask for a pack and they'd just give it to you.

EDIT: Also Victory Packs are out so uh I guess we made it anyway? Despite only doing about 30% in the first half of the weekend?

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Magic Love Hose posted:

Thanks for the breakdown on the numbers behind Spectre packs. I'll switch to that strategy since I still have a number of silver unlocks to go.

Eventually I'll get the dang N7 Paladin. But yes, I do need more consumables and more silver gear. My current consumables is at 0/2/0/255. (The mystery of which one is 255 dies with me.)

If you're on PC, just rename the DLC folders (MP_DLC_1 or 2), then load up the game and buy your SPs or PSPs. It will remove all items from the packs but vanilla and Earth items. Your unlocks are stored on your account itself, so just close ME3 up after you're done buying and rename the DLC folders to what they were.

Deactivating the DLC on the 360 and PS3 will do the same thing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I just redeemed my Victory pack and it was a mish mash of consumables and a rare gear that I'll probably never use (Barrage Pack).

I completed the squad goal several times (as random pick up games were inevitably pubbies on London) but haven't got a Commendation pack with a gun but there is no way the community objective could have been achieved (unless Bioware fudged the figures so people don't think the player base is collapsing) and I got the reward for that?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Victory Pack but no commendation pack. Maybe they're switching it around so we need to do the squad goal for n7 weapons. :raise:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Victory Pack but no commendation pack. Maybe they're switching it around so we need to do the squad goal for n7 weapons. :raise:

Nah, the blog entry on the operation clearly stated that the allied goal would be rewarded with a Victory pack, and the squad goal with a Commendation pack.

Also, Commendation packs have always taken (up to a day) longer to roll out.

Although I supposed it would be funny if they'd switch it around and bind N7 weapons to the allied goal and watch the playerbase drop even more rapidly.

By the way, when was the Leviathan DLC supposed to get released again?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Actually, they've been pretty quick with the Commendation Packs lately. Not that I would expect that to continue forever. But considering how much they muck up, accidentally swapping the Victory and Commendation Packs wouldn't be out of the question. :saddowns:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, just got the Victory pack as well. Can't believe we've made it though. The last report I saw were completion numbers of ~35% with only 17 hours left. Either those were complete BS or I massively underestimate the amount of Sunday evening players.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Victory packs giving something worthwhile? Maybe Bioware's learning after all. :unsmith: I just got Omnicapacitors level 5 in mine, and gear's been dropping steadily this past week too... only missing 6 pieces.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It's only the rank 5 power passive that doesn't work. The other passives work fine, so do gear and power amps, which all benefit from pierce's multiplier.

I guess if you're going to go with a gimmicky defensive bubble camping build then yeah take Reave DR, but it's really a lot easier to just kill stuff fast with offensive reave and offensive bubble than it would be to try to grind it out with defensive reave and defensive bubble.

Damage x duration = total reave damage doesn't actually reflect what happens in game. You'll never reave a target once until the duration runs out and only then reave something else, the extra duration is irrelevant since the DoTs stack. Only Reave's damage per second matters, which is a lot more for pierce than it is for the DR upgrade.

Justicar's don't get passive bonuses to power damage, they get bonuses to duration, and there are no power bonuses in Reave, or in Bubble. There's consumables, gear, rank 6 Fitness after a heavy melee kill, and a properly specced Demolisher's Pylon. I think everything else that increases damage acts as a separate multiplier.

Since Reave stacks, the total damage is relevant: you can stack more Reaves if you have a longer duration to work with. The single DPS would only matter if Reave didn't stack, or if reapplying Reave reset the duration for every Reave in the stack, neither of which are true. I did account for the slightly bigger benefit you get with Power Amps in those numbers, but it's a difference of a 30% increase vs a 23% increase.

It's hardly a gimmicky camping build to put down a bubble when you want to hang around some cover for a little while. In comparison, I've never found offensive bubbles to be that useful except when camping, because it's hard to consistently funnel enemies into the bubble and take advantage of that short period when they're inside.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Just got the Barrage I gear from the victory pack. may sit nicely on my destroyer

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I remember seeing the only 30% completion across the board on Sunday too, but maybe that was really the progress as of Friday Night or something? Now that I think about it, I wouldn't expect them to keep an up to the minute accurate figure on that.

Did we...did we completely write off this Op, only to have the ME3 Community prove us wrong? God, I kind of feel like an an rear end in a top hat, now.

Or it could be some kind of mistake, as per usual with Bioware.

EDIT: Or maybe it counted each PLAYER that finished a wave 10, instead of only counting 1 wave 10 completion between a party of players.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A thread was just posted with the operation numbers.

Bronze total: 253,408
Silver total: 206,386
Gold total: 89,198

I guess the first numbers were just for Friday.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The numbers posted were noted as "through Saturday", whatever that means.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Schubalts posted:

If you're on PC, just rename the DLC folders (MP_DLC_1 or 2), then load up the game and buy your SPs or PSPs. It will remove all items from the packs but vanilla and Earth items. Your unlocks are stored on your account itself, so just close ME3 up after you're done buying and rename the DLC folders to what they were.

Deactivating the DLC on the 360 and PS3 will do the same thing.

Interesting! I'll try this. Do I have to deactivate Origin/shut the game down before doing this, or turn off any kind of auto-updating?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Balance Update posted:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 14, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enemy Stomping Behavior
- (Silver) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds
- (Silver) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0.75 to 1 second
- (Gold) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you increased from 0.75 to 1 second
- (Gold) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0.25 to 1 second
- (Platinum) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you remains at 0
- (Platinum) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0 to 1 second

Cerberus Phantom
- (Platinum) The force threshold to cause Phantoms to stagger lowered to Gold levels

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Magic Love Hose posted:

Interesting! I'll try this. Do I have to deactivate Origin/shut the game down before doing this, or turn off any kind of auto-updating?

The packs are DLC packs and there for won't autoupdate.

I'm not so surprised this operation passed. With everyone on pc, 360, and ps3 working towards one goal that's really not that many matches when it comes down to it. I think people are forgetting that a lot of people really do like the mp.

Were we supposed to get the victory packs before the commendation packs?

randombattle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 14, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Ugh when did pubbies start camping the middle room on Glacier on Gold? Platinum I understand but it takes zero skill to run around the map on Gold of all things.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Magic Love Hose posted:

You can leave Origin running the entire time, but yes, shut the game down when you're messing with folder names to be on the safe side.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

randombattle posted:

Were we supposed to get the victory packs before the commendation packs?

Yeah, we always do. It's a lot quicker for them to look at the total numbers and flip a switch that says "everyone gets a thing" than to go through each individual and check "Does A get a thing? yes Does B get a thing? no Does C get a thing? ...", and it lets us all know that things are proceeding.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Oh hey we did it. Remember that those 30% numbers were for the halfway point of the weekend they just got posted late. I'm guessing alot of people play Saturday night through Sunday.

Also it's quite common to get a victory pack several hours before the commendation pack and not everyone will get the commendation pack at the same time. I'm guessing that they send out the victory pack to everyone first and then send out the commendation packs in waves as they process the list of who gets one.

Burning Mustache posted:

Right, that's a good point on the consumables!

I guess if you still have both, plenty of silver and gold stuff to unlock (and are not going for any particular type yet), SPs can be a decent value then!

I've just got a bunch of uncommon gear a couple of rare gear and the ultras to go at this point and spectres have had a huge difference for unlocking the gear.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This will almost certainly work if you can live with the knowledge that you cheated a corporation out of virtual goods. If you talk to EA support they will be able to tell that you didn't get a pack and they will be able to give it to you. It's really not worth the labor costs for them to verify anything, they just want to make you happy enough to go away for as little time and money as possible.

Amber Alert posted:

Just got the Barrage I gear from the victory pack. may sit nicely on my destroyer

Barrage is a fantastic gear and it goes really well with a scoped Talon (the best gun in the game).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I kinda want to try Platinum Reapers on Condor :unsmigghh:

The only meaningful strategy on Platinum is to just hole up in The Camping Spot on every map and come out for objective waves and fire missiles all over the place, but this is just incredibly boring. Platinum Glacier in the Panic Room makes W/G/G look positively entertaining by comparison. Condor AFAIK has has some defensible areas, but none that you can hold indefinitely, so it would be challenging as gently caress but at least it would be actually interesting instead of dodge right, reave, dodge left, dodge right, reave, dodge left, dodge right, reave, dodge left, dodge right, reave.....

cmon I've maxed all of my poo poo, I don't even care about the money, I just want a fun challenge.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Lagomorphic posted:

Barrage is a fantastic gear and it goes really well with a scoped Talon (the best gun in the game).

When it says "stability" w/r/t the Talon is that spread, recoil, in increase in spread after firing, or something else?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Stability is recoil, accuracy is pellet spread.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Dilb posted:

Justicar's don't get passive bonuses to power damage, they get bonuses to duration, and there are no power bonuses in Reave, or in Bubble. There's consumables, gear, rank 6 Fitness after a heavy melee kill, and a properly specced Demolisher's Pylon. I think everything else that increases damage acts as a separate multiplier.

Since Reave stacks, the total damage is relevant: you can stack more Reaves if you have a longer duration to work with. The single DPS would only matter if Reave didn't stack, or if reapplying Reave reset the duration for every Reave in the stack, neither of which are true. I did account for the slightly bigger benefit you get with Power Amps in those numbers, but it's a difference of a 30% increase vs a 23% increase.

It's hardly a gimmicky camping build to put down a bubble when you want to hang around some cover for a little while. In comparison, I've never found offensive bubbles to be that useful except when camping, because it's hard to consistently funnel enemies into the bubble and take advantage of that short period when they're inside.

At this point I'm sure I can't convince you, but for illustrative purposes the pierce damage bonus is pretty material if you gear up.

Rank 6 DR with defensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .4 power amp + .15 biotic gear + .3 rank 6 upgrade) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 3 stacks of reave * 10/8.5 defensive sphere = ~980/s

Rank 6 pierce with offensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .55 equipment) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 1.75 pierce upgrade * 3 stacks of reave * 10/7 offensive sphere = ~1743/s

Difference is amplified even more vs. barriers and more than that with other multipliers like supply pylon, annihilation field, proxy mines, etc. It's really easy to get reapers in the sphere since B&B come at you and ravagers are stationary, even easier if you're trying to hold an area (like plat farming on glacier for instance). yeah defensive sphere + DR reave will let you eat 5k damage but i only say that's gimmicky because you'll never actually need to take that much damage. Agree to disagree I guess

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
New thought on Destroyer missile launcher power: any chance it's accurate enough or frequent enough to justify using as a constant tech burst trigger, assuming a good ammo power initiating weapon?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Hey I got a good victory pack with the Shock Trooper 1 gear.

Synonamess Botch posted:

When it says "stability" w/r/t the Talon is that spread, recoil, in increase in spread after firing, or something else?

Stability reduces recoil. The only two weaknesses of a scoped Talon is that the recoil is really bad when you use the scope out of cover and it's spare ammo is pretty light. It's not as bad as the harrier but you'll need to be hitting ammo boxes frequently. The barrage helps a lot with both of these issues. I got Barrage V and went from Typhoon 0 to 3 in the same week and honestly I was more excited about the barrage. But again I have a Talon V and think it's the best gun in the game.

At this point I'm sure I can't convince you, but for illustrative purposes the pierce damage bonus is pretty material if you gear up.

For what it's worth you convinced me to use a repec. card and try it your way. Ran is with the commando gear 5 and level 3 power boost for a platinum game and holy poo poo Reave can actually do good damage. I won't be switching back.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Noticing the phantom stagger thing already. I was running around as BatSol and Ballistic Blades completely neuter them. Even more reason to play Batarian. :black101:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Lagomorphic posted:

Stability reduces recoil. The only two weaknesses of a scoped Talon is that the recoil is really bad when you use the scope out of cover and it's spare ammo is pretty light. It's not as bad as the harrier but you'll need to be hitting ammo boxes frequently. The barrage helps a lot with both of these issues. I got Barrage V and went from Typhoon 0 to 3 in the same week and honestly I was more excited about the barrage. But again I have a Talon V and think it's the best gun in the game.

Gotcha, I missed where you said scoped talon and wasn't sure how it would help. I run a talon on most of my casters but I'm not really a fan of the scope on it.

Also Eagle III :qq:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Fingers crossed for a Hurricane...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Every time one of you gets 2 Warp Rounds IV I get a PSP like this. Somehow I do not have the same luck with the real lottery. Buying PSP's are such a waste of credits for me now. The pic above is incredibly rare... Ultra rare one could say. Since maxing out my weapons and characters I only get lv. 4 ammo and the occasional ultra rare. I spent yesterday buying ONLY equipment packs and now all my consumables are at 255. Just the medigel/rockets/ammo pack/health pack, not inferno rounds or any of that stuff. Those are all pretty low except Warp Ammo which are at around 50 each. I just never use them.

What does Warp ammo do? It seems like really lovely limited use stuff. Disruptor ammo causes tech bursts on anything but Warp ammo will only detonate biotics if a guy is floating. If he's floating he's literally dead anyways so where is the utility? Back on the shelf with you, Warp ammo. It would be sweet if it did what it said and primed a target with warp.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 14, 2012

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ACanofPepsi posted:

http://i.imgur.com/nVyAk

Every time one of you gets 2 Warp Rounds IV I get a PSP like this. Somehow I do not have the same luck with the real lottery.

Eh, my last few PSPs have been like sour patch kids; sour then sweet. For example:
Acolyte + Piranha
Acolyte + Talon
Acolyte + Typhoon
Acolyte + Demolisher

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Rank 6 DR with defensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .4 power amp + .15 biotic gear + .3 rank 6 upgrade) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 3 stacks of reave * 10/8.5 defensive sphere = ~980/s

Rank 6 pierce with offensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .55 equipment) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 1.75 pierce upgrade * 3 stacks of reave * 10/7 offensive sphere = ~1743/s

Right, we disagree on the math. I'm saying you won't just have 3 stacks of Reave: each separate application lasts for its own duration. In either case if you spam Reave at 200% cooldown, you'll stack 4 Reaves, but then the first one runs out. With armour and barriers, it runs out in .42 seconds, with damage and duration it runs out in 1.62 seconds. On average, that means you stack 3.17 Reaves vs stacking 3.66 Reaves (and even if your cooldown is lower, it stays at the same 9/7.8 ratio). That bumps up both numbers, but to 1195 vs 1841.

Adding in offensive Sphere is hardly fair, as I was just talking about Reave. If you use that with DR too it's 1451 vs 1841. Pierce does more damage against armour and barriers, sure, and sure it gets a bit out of gear and consumables, but it's not a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ACanofPepsi posted:

What does Warp ammo do? It seems like really lovely limited use stuff. Disruptor ammo causes tech bursts on anything but Warp ammo will only detonate biotics if a guy is floating. If he's floating he's literally dead anyways so where is the utility? Back on the shelf with you, Warp ammo. It would be sweet if it did what it said and primed a target with warp.

Warp ammo does extra damage to barriers (not sure if it also gives bonuses to health) and weakens armor. The difference between armor weakening and armor reduction is that everyone else shooting at the same target gets the same benefits from armor weakening, whereas armor reduction from AP only applies to you.

• Locked thread