Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FFStudios posted:

. Did a split the other day after I lost speed, tried to put my feet down and one landed on the concrete and the other landed on the skateboard.

Do people still call that "doing a Wilson"? My skating heyday was the late 80s through mid 90s,back when we had to skate uphill both ways and they hadn't invented wheels yet, and that's what that particular maneuver was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was there with you in the late 80's. Never heard of doing a Wilson. I remember a launch ramp trick called a Pop Tart though.

volatile bowels
Sep 7, 2009

All-Star
So I just started skating, and I'm riding 53mm with Reds in them. I feel such a difference in the ride going from smooth, fresh pavement to rougher road, like my speed decreases a lot and the ride gets loud. Would there be a noticeable difference if I move to 58mm wheels in speed and smoothness?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

volatile bowels posted:

So I just started skating, and I'm riding 53mm with Reds in them. I feel such a difference in the ride going from smooth, fresh pavement to rougher road, like my speed decreases a lot and the ride gets loud. Would there be a noticeable difference if I move to 58mm wheels in speed and smoothness?

More important than the size is the hardness of your wheels. Do you know what the durometer rating is?

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

volatile bowels posted:

Just bear in mind, generally speaking, bigger diameter means higher top velocity while small diameter means better acceleration. It's fairly negligible to an extent though.

quastenflosser
Sep 7, 2011
Any tips for sliding? I'm working on hands-down slides and I'm having a hell of a time of it; instead of sliding I just keep doing sharp carves. I'm getting a little frustrated since it's supposed to be babby's first super-easy slide and I keep loving up :saddowns:

I think my form is okay, but I've been doing them on a gentle incline, should I be looking for steeper hills?

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

quastenflosser posted:

Any tips for sliding? I'm working on hands-down slides and I'm having a hell of a time of it; instead of sliding I just keep doing sharp carves. I'm getting a little frustrated since it's supposed to be babby's first super-easy slide and I keep loving up :saddowns:

I think my form is okay, but I've been doing them on a gentle incline, should I be looking for steeper hills?

Speed will help the wheels lose friction easier. Other than that check your footing. Having your feet closer to the baseplates and less toward the middle of the deck gives you more leverage to push the deck out. There's a lot of little nuances that make sliding easier, but those are some of the more important ones.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

quastenflosser posted:

Go faster. Also if you have a camera, record yourself and watch them later. It's a lot easier to see your mistakes from that point of view.

quastenflosser
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks for the help. I gave it another shot today and while I did get the wheels to unlock a couple times, I also kept landing on my left knee with my right knee rolling away with the board (goofy by the way). And on the very first try I ran into a telephone pole. Ouch.

Would topmounting my board make it easier to slide out? It feels like a higher deck would give me more leverage. I'm learning on a Landyachtz drop carve if it matters any.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

quastenflosser posted:

Thanks for the help. I gave it another shot today and while I did get the wheels to unlock a couple times, I also kept landing on my left knee with my right knee rolling away with the board (goofy by the way). And on the very first try I ran into a telephone pole. Ouch.

Would topmounting my board make it easier to slide out? It feels like a higher deck would give me more leverage. I'm learning on a Landyachtz drop carve if it matters any.

Personally, I find drop through mounted boards easier to slide because you're pushing vertically level with the wheels. I don't know if this is technically correct, this is just from riding a multitude of boards.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's right, dropped boards let you push sideways to slide instead of down on the trucks. Makes them much easier to slide than a top mount. Top mounts are just trendy right now.

That being said, I'm rocking a sweet 39" double kick top mount because I love the control that standing on the trucks gives you. Also ollies 'n poo poo.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Yeah, for the record, my current set up is a 39" symmetrical drop through mounted deck with 86a otang stims and it slides like butter.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
What are the hot new videos?

I've watched Not Another Transworld Video and Real - Since Day One. I think the last time I actively seeked any out was around Fully Flared.

I've seen a few Mystery - Color Theory parts but I can't tell if that's a whole video or what

Speaking of which I enjoyed this quite a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSRB3nF1Bc&list=FLkH-3n5tjYyLqzhZGK_uSDg&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Nike SB Chronicles Vol. 1! (Unless it's older than I think?)

Youness Amrani and Lewis Marnell's parts are two of my favorite of all time! So tight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thanks, I've seen Nothing but the Truth but not this one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What are the hot new videos?

I've watched Not Another Transworld Video and Real - Since Day One. I think the last time I actively seeked any out was around Fully Flared.

I've seen a few Mystery - Color Theory parts but I can't tell if that's a whole video or what

Speaking of which I enjoyed this quite a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSRB3nF1Bc&list=FLkH-3n5tjYyLqzhZGK_uSDg&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Hey let's go skating sometime. Where are you in the town?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Bucket Joneses posted:

Hey let's go skating sometime. Where are you in the town?

Mt Baker Neighborhood. I'm comically bad at tricks these days but I was eyeing the Pacific Science Center park last sunday. It was a perfect day and there was literally no one there. I was actually about to try and goad some of my girlfriends little brothers and cousins into taking a trip there under the guise of adult supervision hahaha.

I enjoy rolling around here and there, will occasionally rock n' roll then tail stall on a miniramp until I lose speed.

I really should just be buying a whole new set up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I enjoy rolling around here and there, will occasionally rock n' roll then tail stall on a miniramp until I lose speed.

One of my favorite things to do. I think I'm going to Seattle Center tomorrow morning.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm a workin' man but I'm going to have the 28th through the 30th off with jack poo poo to do. I was pretty much planning on playing an obscene amount of Trials Evolution because PAX is doing a tournament for it hahahaha.

We'll have to go roll around then.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Greenplastic posted:

Nike SB Chronicles Vol. 1! (Unless it's older than I think?)

Youness Amrani and Lewis Marnell's parts are two of my favorite of all time! So tight.

When's part 2 anyway? It's been almost a year (I think) since we saw the first on. It's so much better than decent Nothing But the Truth.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFzfzs7WAs

This is a webseries/gameshow/skateboarding thing that I stumbled upon, not sure if it's a big thing or not.

Amateur skaters send in footage of 10 tricks, and the best are selected to play "SHREDIT CARDS!". Basically they add some 8-bit themed graphics to their video and award cash for how cool the tricks are as it goes on, turning the footage into some kind of hilarious videogame complete with COMBO BONUS type stuff. It's hypnotizingly fun. And if you think it's lovely then skip to the middle of the vids and they just let you watch the raw footage of some really nutty amateur skaters.

New episodes every Monday. I wish I had thought of this poo poo, it's not even that much money to be giving away every week.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 16, 2012

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

How often do you replace bearings? I've been riding for about two months to work everyday and my rear right wheel spins freely for about five seconds, all the others are still going fine.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Budget Dracula posted:

How often do you replace bearings? I've been riding for about two months to work everyday and my rear right wheel spins freely for about five seconds, all the others are still going fine.

If you don't like the way they're riding, you can always get a cleaning kit and clean them before buying new ones. Or just make a cleaning kit out of a sports drink bottle and a bolt.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Zigmidge posted:

If you're getting wobbles, get lower on your front trucks. You want as much weight as possible on the front.The easy way to deal with wobbles is to remember to bend your lead knee when they start happening.

Wobbles are both a balance and muscle issue. The more you work on leg muscles associated with your tuck, the more comfortable you'll be in a tuck. Holding a mock-tuck on a tightrope will help, as will simply practicing holding a tuck and homing in on your leg muscles.

Zigmidge posted:

Penny boards are absurd amounts of fun for what they are and if you're weighing cost benefit ratios for a plastic mini, you don't get 'it' and probably wouldn't enjoy it anyways.

Serious answer: troll kijiji and craigslist for restored plastic minis from the 80s or buy an old one and restore it yourself. I have a friend who restores old plastic skateboards and she finds them for anywhere from 5$ at a garage sale to 200 at antique shops. 120+ is really expensive for something you aren't sure you'll have fun with.

I found an old cherry mini at an antique store that was really beat up, got it for 20$!

Minis own

And gently caress yea, talk about a way to eliminate wobbles. Penny boards are awesome and will make a regular length board feel like the most stable thing ever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFzfzs7WAs

This is a webseries/gameshow/skateboarding thing that I stumbled upon, not sure if it's a big thing or not.

Amateur skaters send in footage of 10 tricks, and the best are selected to play "SHREDIT CARDS!". Basically they add some 8-bit themed graphics to their video and award cash for how cool the tricks are as it goes on, turning the footage into some kind of hilarious videogame complete with COMBO BONUS type stuff. It's hypnotizingly fun. And if you think it's lovely then skip to the middle of the vids and they just let you watch the raw footage of some really nutty amateur skaters.

New episodes every Monday. I wish I had thought of this poo poo, it's not even that much money to be giving away every week.

Cool find. Ever since Scott Pilgrim, I've been all about 8-bit HUDs in real world footage.

EDIT: Goddamn that last trick is loving nuts.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 22, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I really like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojEOz1WOiK0

And a comment there led me to this which was even more impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2qUqGbJWM

Edit: And yeah that earns the "WTF Ender" title.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 22, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Went and skated at a skatepark for the first time in about 6+ years today with a friend. We were lucky enough to have the place to ourselves. I'm not as confident on a board as I used to be, but I was pleasantly surprised by how not terrible I was. I can still spin varial kickflips without much problem. Can't land all of them, but got a few. It was also my first time skating a bowl, which was a poo poo load of fun. Think I'm going to have to make it a more regular thing to go out there and skate, although I'm terrible out of skating shape and it showed.

Also, I've spent a lot of time ride a coworker's Penny around at work and I'm going to order a Stereo vinyl cruiser before the week's over.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
My Pennyboard is now decked out with Randal R2 bushings and some random 0.5 risers I had laying around.

Prior to swapping parts, I could carve a little, but it was mostly working with the kick tail. Now I can make super dodgy carves and really lean into it. It's super shaky, but I love it. My legs are trembling from riding it for about a mile. After my ride, I hopped on my Peacemaker and it felt like a massive ferry vs a small kayak.

If you never wanna get speed wobbles again, this is a great board to practice with. It seems like most people in my town get them as more of a toy/accessory. I probably see more people walking with them than riding. When I first got it, I felt like it was extremely impractical and felt a little buyer's remorse. Now that I've got the hang of it, it's a blast and I'm 100% glad I got it. Hopefully I won't knock my teeth out.

I'm gonna throw the penny wheels on my Supermodel and grind them into dust.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 23, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone here have any experience with building a mini ramp? I've always wanted to build one and, with me moving into a real place, I finally have the chance. Tips? Rough price? Other things?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've used this website as a reference several times in building various things. Here's the 3' mini page: http://www.diyskate.com/mini_03.html

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

My club just got around $5,000 to spend on gear. Any suggestions for some cool stuff to buy? Most of the members are into every type of skating.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FoxxorTheRed posted:

My club just got around $5,000 to spend on gear. Any suggestions for some cool stuff to buy? Most of the members are into every type of skating.
Your club should buy me a penny skateboard?

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Whalley posted:

Your club should buy me a penny skateboard?

Hey mate, if I could, I would. A penny board in every garage. That'll be my platform when I run for Supreme Skating Overlord Emperor of the Universes.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm glad I'm not Lil' Wayne trying to learn how to skate because drat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SsGGpPMflxs
I would be doing that at home in private.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Check out what came in the mail today

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

XIII posted:

gently caress yah, drop in!

I ride my Penny more than any of my other boards right now, I'm loving shocked I haven't killed myself yet. I can't tell if my constant smile is because I'm having a good time or the FEAR ratchets the poo poo out of my adrenaline.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, look again. That's just a normal curb. Nothing fun. I did spend a bit cruising around my neighborhood on it though, before I had to leave to meet some friends. Looking forward to taking it to the park and getting in a bowl.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
This just got posted in the .gif thread in pyf. It's pretty cool.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

XIII posted:

I got a green and purple Penny show up in my mailbox yesterday, thanks to being drunk and checking this thread. Holy poo poo these things are fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I have a question for some people who may know places I do not. For years I've wanted a Landyachts Haida longboard. I grew up in the PNW and have a lot of fond memories of Haida Gwaii and it is frankly the most visually attractive board I have ever seen. The problem is, now that I'm in the position to afford it, it's not longer being sold. I've looked online everywhere and while I can find plenty of listings, none are in stock except for one place in the UK charging almost 200 for just the deck.

If anyone has any luck tracking one of these down either online or in person, please tell me! I'd love to get my hands on the deck alone, but even the whole thing could do. :shobon: