Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Discussion is over, and the game is on an eternal unending pause.

It's time to reset the goddamn map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo, a new map!
:regd08:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I really got a huge hankering (like... HUGE) to play this today, despite barely playing it years ago. I love the signal comics in the OP and they explain a lot. What's the best piece of tutorial/training material to help me get into this seemingly magnificent game?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the best piece of tutorial/training material to help me get into this seemingly magnificent game?

Join a server and observe other's designs, then experiment for yourself. The learning curve on this game isn't as steep as it looks at first. Signals are super intimidating to a new player but are actually quite forgiving as long as you have the basics.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Any plans to run this on 1.2.1? It came out like 20 days ago or so.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there anything redeeming about 1.2.1 that makes it worth losing all our other modifications?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, built my first one-train, two-way rail system. That seemed WAY too complicated than it needed to be, but based on the interface, I was expecting it to work like Rollercoaster Tycoon (click and drag things to make pathways, instead of having to choose the proper facing tile every time the direction changed.)

Still, I'm enjoying it.

EDIT: vvvv My god, thanks! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 19, 2012

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Oh my god, built my first one-train, two-way rail system. That seemed WAY too complicated than it needed to be, but based on the interface, I was expecting it to work like Rollercoaster Tycoon (click and drag things to make pathways, instead of having to choose the proper facing tile every time the direction changed.)

Still, I'm enjoying it.

You can click the button in the rail construction toolbar that looks like two tracks crossing and it'll let you click-and-drag in whatever direction.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

less than three posted:

Is there anything redeeming about 1.2.1 that makes it worth losing all our other modifications?

No idea, it was more that I couldn't get the version linked in the op to work whereas 1.2.1 runs fine :v

edit: something about graphics sets but copying the one from the latest version doesn't work.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 19, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

No idea, it was more that I couldn't get the version linked in the op to work whereas 1.2.1 runs fine :v

edit: something about graphics sets but copying the one from the latest version doesn't work.

What's the error message?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Something about some incorrect variables in an ini file, followed by it stating that it needs a graphics set it can use. I'm guessing theres something in the graphics set that 1.2.1 uses which means it won't work for an older version.

Is there a readme somewhere on how to get this specific version of openttd goons are using to work?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Something about some incorrect variables in an ini file, followed by it stating that it needs a graphics set it can use. I'm guessing theres something in the graphics set that 1.2.1 uses which means it won't work for an older version.

Is there a readme somewhere on how to get this specific version of openttd goons are using to work?

Grab opengfx and opensfx from this archive (data folder) http://files.nekonex.com/openttd/22553M/OpenTTD_22553M_x64.7z

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Okay, I got the opengfx set from that but it's still throwing up errors, but the game starts now. Now I'm just having newgrf mismatches between the server and the client, even after downloading all the available ones and installing the ones linked in the op :<

edit: nevermind, after a long search openttd finally tracked down downloads for them, nevermind.

double edit: You might want to restart the map, it's on 350 ish years and despite looking like barely anyone has played it theres not really much challange left on it.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 21, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I built up another perfect transit company that sprawls from corner to corner.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll restart it tomorrow when I wake up.

I don't really actively monitor the server when I'm not playing, so:

If anyone ever wants the server reset (and it's beyond 2050) just PM me

Quickest way to get my attention.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I can't help feel that more people would be playing this if it didn't take an age to get it working :<
Also thanks for the server reset

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Drone_Fragger posted:

I can't help feel that more people would be playing this if it didn't take an age to get it working :<
Also thanks for the server reset

Agreed, also a new OP.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

For the last version we played, I made a 7z archive with everything you needed, just unzip and go. I should do that again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got tired of setting it up on all my computers, so I got it running and then dumped it into Dropbox, so wherever I am I can start playing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How do I rotate the viewpoint? My god... is it even possible?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

How do I rotate the viewpoint? My god... is it even possible?

No and it most likely never will be. Press x to turn things invisible though.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Is there a good mod for airplanes or boats akin to 2cc for rails? I want ridiculous hypersonic jetliners and hydroplanes. :colbert:

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
The only one I can think off the top of my head is Av8 for airplanes. Adds real airplanes from Boeing and such to the game. Don't know of one for ships.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
FISH does boats quite well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just want to chime in after spending many days playing this, on and off... holy poo poo. This is the greatest game. I never thought I was in to micromanaging, but jesus christ, this game has proven that I very much am.

And I haven't even started with signals yet. My next map is going to be all about efficiency. Right now, every route has its own rail line, and there aren't any train stations that are more than one lane wide. I know this probably makes you veterans cringe, but I can see the potential in doing everything right (and overly complicated) and I want to do it all.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Just want to chime in after spending many days playing this, on and off... holy poo poo. This is the greatest game. I never thought I was in to micromanaging, but jesus christ, this game has proven that I very much am.

And I haven't even started with signals yet. My next map is going to be all about efficiency. Right now, every route has its own rail line, and there aren't any train stations that are more than one lane wide. I know this probably makes you veterans cringe, but I can see the potential in doing everything right (and overly complicated) and I want to do it all.

No need to do anything overly complicated.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wargames posted:

No need to do anything overly complicated.

Really? It seems as though there are 101 ways to go about making your system better every single moment. Am I overthinking it, or are there tons of opportunities to sperg out over how stuff works?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Really? It seems as though there are 101 ways to go about making your system better every single moment. Am I overthinking it, or are there tons of opportunities to sperg out over how stuff works?

This game is a sperg's wet dream, honestly. I've spent way too many hours tweaking station entries and exits to keep a steady flow of traffic going. In case you don't know about them, there are a couple wikis. OpenTTD's wiki has a lot of good basic info, and the guys at openttdcoop are the spergs that make spergs like me look like amateur hour. The openttdcoop page has a really good walkthrough on setting up Main Lines, Side Lines, and connecting the two intelligently.

http://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page

http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Main_Page

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If you really want your mind to explode try playing on some OpenTTDCoop games.

(I used to be a member and yes I have built some of those giant stations all by myself before :c00l:)

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

piratepilates posted:

If you really want your mind to explode try playing on some OpenTTDCoop games.

(I used to be a member and yes I have built some of those giant stations all by myself before :c00l:)

Seconding this; I actually played in a round a couple months ago and made some small sideline stations. People were actually really helpful and tolerant, I wasn't shunned for being a sucky builder or anything.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Looks like they're going for multiplayer in Cities in Motion 2 Electric Boogaloo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4iDevwAcOg

I do have to say, I only played the first one until I found the winning formula then all the game was was adjusting ticket prices to keep people happy :/

Probably wont touch OpentTTD though!

I Am Sogard
Jun 15, 2005
Love from #evo
Anyone still playing this? Recently checked up on it and was glad to see it easier to get. It's nice having the open asset files available. The new path signals are fantastic. This game is so drat addicting. OpenTTD, because model train sets are too expensive.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

I Am Sogard posted:

Anyone still playing this? Recently checked up on it and was glad to see it easier to get. It's nice having the open asset files available. The new path signals are fantastic. This game is so drat addicting. OpenTTD, because model train sets are too expensive.

I play it compulsively. Current network map in 1942:

And one of the conurbations:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pfff, only nerds connect cities to eachother, real men run a coal/iron/wood/water/oil/goods empire.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Planning on a freight network after completing the passenger one :colbert:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Passenger networks are a lot more fun with a cargo destinations patch, obviously. Freight seems dull by comparison when you've got one of those.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jonnty posted:

Passenger networks are a lot more fun with a cargo destinations patch, obviously. Freight seems dull by comparison when you've got one of those.

I tried downloading a cargo destination patch but couldn't get it working. It's nice having all the files available, but some of the authors seem to have forgotten to include a Readme file explaining how to use the files.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

kingturnip posted:

I tried downloading a cargo destination patch but couldn't get it working. It's nice having all the files available, but some of the authors seem to have forgotten to include a Readme file explaining how to use the files.

http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/cargodist/releases/gda6ccfa4-cd/

Download the one that applies to you and run it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Here is where you can get compiled versions of Cargodist. Just pick the newest one, it's OpenTTD with the newest Cargodist patched in.

e: ^ :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Metrication posted:

I play it compulsively. Current network map in 1942:

And one of the conurbations:

What GRFs are you using to start earlier? Does it have any older style trains/transport?

We once had a carriage GRF on a goon server but they always moved slower than 1km/h.

• Locked thread