Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wait what.
They take away your guns for angel/demon mode? What utter tripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yes and no.

While holding down the trigger, the gun attack will turn into the push or pull chain thing. You have to let the trigger go for him to use E&I.
It's so clunky and loving stupid, I don't even know how they can think that's an improvement to having access to your guns at all times, without having to do tedious crap like that.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I'm noticing the lack of a button to change your standard gun or weapon. So does that mean your devil trigger and angel trigger are the only changes of weapon in the whole game? gently caress, DMC 2 had more variety.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

The D-pad let's you switch between four weapon sets, from what I can tell. Seems clunky compared to 4's system.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Well 4 weapon sets isn't too bad actually so fair enough on that one and, assuming that's what they meant when they said you can switch weapons mid combo and keep it going that's not bad at all. I'd just read that as you can switch between your devil/angel modes mid combo.

Now all they need are fun enemies to use it on. And, like you said, better controls.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If they wanted to streamline the game, they should have given you four sets of weapons mapped to the d-pad.

The main difference would be that rather than equipping a devil arm and a gun seperately, they would be paired together. This would allow you to have access to all your weapons at once, without having to cycle through all of them using the triggers.

For example,

Up - Rebellion + Ebony & Ivory
Left - Ifrit + Shotgun
etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

If they wanted to streamline the game, they should have given you four sets of weapons mapped to the d-pad.

The main difference would be that rather than equipping a devil arm and a gun seperately, they would be paired together. This would allow you to have access to all your weapons at once, without having to cycle through all of them using the triggers.

For example,

Up - Rebellion + Ebony & Ivory
Left - Ifrit + Shotgun
etc.

I dunno dude, that layout sounds like DMC4's style-switching system, except a lot less flexible.

Consider this: Dante's shotgun will function the way it does, regardless of whether you're using Gunslinger, Trickster, or whatever. If you need something knocked out of the air, one button press will do. On the other hand, a pairing system would need you to be on that specific pair with the shotgun.

The problem here is that switching from pair to pair in this manner would be the opposite of streamlining. For example, Ifrit/Shotgun would be a slow-attacking set with the tendency to knock enemies out of combo range, while Rebellion/E&I go for longer combos and fast movement.

That means whenever you need a shotgun blast to get some dude out of your face while you're busy Aerial Raving another guy, you need to hit two d-pad buttons with your thumb, as opposed to tapping your shoulder triggers. If you have another devil arm with different properties than your air combo one, there's an even bigger chance of fumbling.

If you then customize your d-pad buttons to Rebellion/E&I and Rebellion/Shotgun, then you might as well revert to the old system since that's already two of four (five, if you count Dark Slayer in DMC4) slots on the pad.

If there's any layout I prefer without Style-switching in the equation, I'd rather have Bayonetta's pairing system. You can switch between two customizable pairs on the fly, and you can change your weapon sets (even in combat) by going into the Select menu.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Having 4 different weapon sets sounds alright, as long as you can mix and match angel and demon weapons, instead of them just being modifiers of your equipped Devil Arm. Hell Bayonetta only has two sets you can switch between on the fly, and two different slots for weapons. If DmC lets up switch up three different slots with 4 presets than that could make for some very interesting gameplay (assuming there is enough weapon variety.)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, I see what you mean. The idea was to have a system that allowed you access to your whole moveset, without requiring the use of a menu. Basically, a comprimise between DMC3's huge number of weapons with DMC4 Dante's flexibility.

I'd prefer to take out styles altogether if there was a way to access all of its moves at once. It would save you from having to reach over to the d-pad, at least.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bit late, but I would play the poo poo out of Project Kool Letter Zone. Xenosaga, .hack, Devil May Cry, Sanger Zanbolt, Megaman X AND Megaman Legends?! Sign me the gently caress up. My only question is why the hell Zephyr and Leanne made it in and not Vashyron. Vashyron alone made Resonance of Fate worth playing.

Woah, I wouldn't be sad if this didn't get a release over here. The fan service got turned to 11, seriously, nearly every female cut-scene was a shot of their panties and then a view of boobs defying physics. I was hoping to at least see Dante teamed up with someone a little more interesting, like Bayonetta, that would've helped redeem it a little.

It's really, really, really, not as bad as you say, dude. I'd say the guys have less clothes than the girls, for once. Especially since I'm pretty sure it's made by the same guys who made Endless Frontier. In fact, that battle system looks a lot like a simplified version of Endless Frontier's. I also see Haken and Kaguya in this thing and they came from Endless Frontier. Now let me tell you, that game. That was a thing. If the endless (and I mean ENDLESS) fanservice and boob jokes didn't get you, Forced Evasion would.
I will admit that that Norse lady's green armor and white dress outfit is pretty bad. And her animations are stupid and terrible.

So does anyone know what other weapons you can get in DmC? I'm going to assume that they will probably all be guns, because creating another melee weapon with angel/demon forms sounds like way too much effort for this crew.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 13, 2012

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
The weapon variety is pretty much the only thing I've heard that actually sounds good so until conclusive proof arrives I'm gonna assume they haven't hosed it up.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Capcom just showed this at Gamescom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. He's... instantly recognizable as Vergil. That's actually not a bad design. He's obviously not the exact same design but still has the same basic silhouette and posture and in general you'd know exactly who it is even without the DmC logo.

How the gently caress did the same guys design this and New Dante?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How the gently caress did the same guys design this and New Dante?
Fan feedback. I bet this isn't what they had in mind initially.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It all makes sense. Vergil didn't fall into Hell at the end of DMC3, he fell into this bizarro world and it's up to him to make it stylish as penance.

That collar popping is out of control though, jeez.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

It all makes sense. Vergil didn't fall into Hell at the end of DMC3, he fell into this bizarro world and it's up to him to make it stylish as penance.

If someone is going to be wearing a collar popping out of control it is Vergil. That's the kind of guy he is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

toasterwarrior posted:

Don't like his face though. Looks whiny.

[e] : His face looks like loving Taylor Lautner.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
To be fair, it looks like they're going with the "twin sons of Sparda" thing again, so you can blame that on their Dante design.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Y2XhkG5Go&feature=player_embedded

I have no idea if this has been posted yet, but the 'Vergil' Video is up

I can't take him seriously, the face just kills any hope of Vergil redeeming ANYTHING. Plus, look what they did to Yamato!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Why does he look so dopey.

You know, I actually think the two brothers' voice actors are pretty good, but goddamn the terrible writing isn't doing them any favours.

I still maintain that that collar is ridiculous, especially for that gritty feel they're going for :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The animations on that trailer are the stiffest thing I have ever seen.

And now its an edgy teen drama, awesome!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Some of the pacing and awkward pausing really feels like I'm watching something poorly dubbed, but I know I'm not and it makes me uncomfortable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Virgil looks a lot goofier in motion. Ah well...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Aw, I wanted to see Vergil fight.
At least his cloak is stylish. I like the blue on it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dante's voice is fine, but is the voice director trying to make him sound dull? I mean, I remember the pier trailer and he sounded a lot more enthusiastic in that one, now it's just "You're my brother. :geno:" I can't say Vergil's design is really bad, but his face is weird and so are movements. Also, why do I feel like this was a commercial for a movie more than it was for a video game?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
After seeing that video, all I can say is... now I'm motivated! to care even less about this game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Spermando posted:

Capcom just showed this at Gamescom.

I'm gone away for a day, and I miss all the action. Typical.

I kinda like this design, not too hot on the collar though. His face looks alright-

Spoke too soon. Well, hello derpface Vergil :downs:

He looks alright at a distance, and like everyone else has said, he looks pretty goofy upclose and moving. And that voice too. Urgh.

As for them trying to continue that dreadful loving story...I think I prefered Vergil when he and Dante where trying to kill each other. It's bizarrly more realistic than whatever realtionship is trying to be forced into that trailer.

[e]: And here's a trailer for Dante in that Battle thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInipGOi7YM
How can it look so much worse than the DMC stuff? :psyduck:

Oh, and this:

Vergil...I take it back. Black shirt and blue pants? What the gently caress are you thinking? Oh well. It could have been worse. And Yamato hasn't changed. Small blessings, I guess.

Though he does look more like a younger version of the Marquis from FFXII

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 15, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The new Vergil seems okay to me, but I will miss that smarmy affected Vergil from DMC 3. Now that was a voice you could hate.

As for them not being instant enemies, that makes sense. They're brothers so they shouldnt automatically be fighting. I'm sure they'll end up on the wrong side of some wedge that'll start the antagonistic relationship.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Probably be something like "Vergil! You were working for Mundus all along!" if they were going to go with the obvious route. And yeah, Daniel Southworth did a pretty great voice for Vergil.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So in this gritty reboot where they have said they want to rebuild DMC and not fall back on every old trope in the series have now announced the story is going to revolve around Vergil and Dante will wield classic weapons like Ifrit.

Amazing job to everyone.

Shesh that Vergil my god.. His costume is terrrrible. Why is his cape attached like a trenchcoat and made out of a velour bedspread?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pesky Splinter posted:

It could have been worse. And Yamato hasn't changed. Small blessings, I guess.

Might be nitpicky, but it actually has. The 'Yamato' that New Vergil uses is clearly just a basic, hum drum katana, whereas the Yamato that good old Classic Vergil used was based off of a Tachi, a longer, slightly less curved blade.

Also, the hilt wrapping and tassel are gone, but that's to be expected from this shitstorm.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Goddamit Ninja Theory! IS NOTHING SACRED! :negative:

Ah, oh well. What with everything else they've changed, I'm not gonna begrudge them a sword...outside of Rebellion - seriously how do you gently caress that up NT?

The more I look at New Vergil's coat, the more I think it'd look less strange if they hadn't cut the bottom of the jacket part off suddenly, and brought it round the legs more, like a more normal coat. As it is, it just looks like someone took the top half of vergil and stuck him on someone else's lower half.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This needs to come out already so I can watch it bomb and then dance a lively two-step on Ninja Theory's grave

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

This needs to come out already so I can watch it bomb and then dance a lively two-step on Ninja Theory's grave

You just know there's some dumb fuckheads that'll hail this as a revolution in video gaming and storytelling.

Bastion? Get hosed. NieR? Man, whatever, faggots. :smug: Planescape: Torment? More like Snoozescape: Boring :smuggo:

It's all about DmC for me, with it's ULTRA DEEP Teenage Angst story because it has people in mo-cap in the cutscenes. Also, I'm a 300-pound neckbeard who's never experienced a good story ever.

It'll be like HBO's slogan, "It's Not TV, it's HBO." Except in this case, "It's Not Gaming, it's Ninja Theory".

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011
Why not go with a normal pinstripe suit? I thought they were hammering home the whole Rich=Demons aspect and Demons in fine suits tend to do that. It could even be a scene of him taking off his suit coat for a second boss fight.

I had some work to do today so I watched the entirety of DMC3's cutscenes while I fixed stuff around my living room when I came to the realization that there is nothing inherently wrong with making a different, fun-loving demonspawn that fights for humanity in a gritty setting. It is the fact that he embraces his humanity that made Dante so endearing, to me anyway. So, they're trying to do that, but they're also trying to sell him as too cool for school. Dante was a dork and he earned whatever coolness people saw in him. Acting hard and writing gently caress YOU is a weak way of coming across as cool.

When the news of this game first came, I hoped it was just marketing trying to "broaden appeal" by making it American-centric. After all, powerful, goofball is not a strictly Japanese archetype. Now, as the clock is winding down and gameplay footage is being released, I find myself saddened all over again.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Occupation posted:

You just know there's some dumb fuckheads that'll hail this as a revolution in video gaming and storytelling.

Bastion? Get hosed. NieR? Man, whatever, faggots. :smug: Planescape: Torment? More like Snoozescape: Boring :smuggo:

It's all about DmC for me, with it's ULTRA DEEP story because it has people in mo-cap in the cutscenes. Also, I'm a 300-pound neckbeard who's never experienced a good story ever.

That time Dante yelled 'gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuu' at the Slurm Queen really made me think hard about the true nature of beauty.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As a fun mental exercise, I challenge everyone in this thread to literally go anywhere else on the internet and see what they say about this new DmC. I mean it. I think Goons are generally 50/50 on getting it right, and probably less than that in Games, but god-loving-drat-it if this isn't the only sane place of the internet to point out how much Ninja Theory loving sucks and the new reboot loving sucks.

Go literally anywhere else and you'll see people bitch about how "silly and unrealistic" Devil May Cry's story was, how the gameplay was "too hard" and they love how it's been "dumbed down", and how totally :krad: the new Dante design is. They'll also leap legions of praise on Enslaved and, generally, the entire back catelog of Ninja Theory as being high-water marks for video game storytelling and gameplay. Especially Enslaved.

People sure do love their people in suits with balls on them apparently.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Why do they keep on talking like their design choices are actually unironicly good, can't they say "we're doing this because its a goofy re-imagining, we know not everyone will like it but in its own we think its pretty good".
They really have the balls to take this all seriously and saying "we just don't get how people could POSSIBLY dislike all this new stuff! They must be a bunch of retards! :smug:"

I know its just a video game and that I'm probably just repeating myself yet again, but what was wrong with the original serie, where did it need a completely new reboot and that an American dev should take the reins for it.
I'm also wondering what they meant by "We made the artistic aesthetic of the game before thinking of the gameplay".If that's what we got in the end I simply can't wait to see the game in action if the gameplay was just the second priority.

Edit: vvv That's true, I feel kind of dumb for not thinking that applies for every NT games.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's been said before, but "aesthetic before gameplay" is sort of NT's method. It has never worked out for them, especially after the shine from their mocap nonsense wore off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AggsOfSpades posted:

It is the fact that he embraces his humanity that made Dante so endearing, to me anyway.

It's kind of a recurring theme throughout the series as well - Sparda embraces humanity and it's heavily implied that's what made him strong enough to overthrow Mundus. Dante himself, across all the spin-offs and games says a few times, things along the lines of demons lack something powerful that humans have. Devils never cry after all. And it's his humanity that drives him to do what he does.

Arkham and Sanctus are found lacking when it comes to understanding why they're beaten, even with all of Sparda's power.

This new one basically says gently caress THAT. Make him a half angel/demon because that'll make him special. :downs:

Occupation posted:

As a fun mental exercise, I challenge everyone in this thread to literally go anywhere else on the internet and see what they say about this new DmC. I mean it. I think Goons are generally 50/50 on getting it right, and probably less than that in Games, but god-loving-drat-it if this isn't the only sane place of the internet to point out how much Ninja Theory loving sucks and the new reboot loving sucks.

Go literally anywhere else and you'll see people bitch about how "silly and unrealistic" Devil May Cry's story was, how the gameplay was "too hard" and they love how it's been "dumbed down", and how totally :krad: the new Dante design is. They'll also leap legions of praise on Enslaved and, generally, the entire back catelog of Ninja Theory as being high-water marks for video game storytelling and gameplay. Especially Enslaved.

It's probably because we're better moderated. Things like DMC.org, Jesus loving Christ. Go for the news, leave for the comments.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Why do they keep on talking like their design choices are actually unironicly good, can't they say "we're doing this because its a goofy re-imagining, we know not everyone will like it but in its own we think its pretty good".
They really have the balls to take this all seriously and saying "we just don't get how people could POSSIBLY dislike all this new stuff! They must be a bunch of retards! :smug:"

Because they think they are creating "art", and that therefore entitles them to be smug fucks. Admittedly, yes. Their visuals are very pretty. But they shouldn't be in the videogame industry. They should be making lovely art films that are critically acclaimed, and have an audience in the tens, but boring as gently caress to watch. That's more their area of expertise.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 15, 2012

• Locked thread