Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So is there some new ability Banshees have that lets them cancel warps? I just got through a Reaper/Dagger/Silver game with my human sentinel and halfway through the match I noticed that warp-throwing led to the regular throw ~whump~ and not a warpsplosion. We didn't have any tech abilities overwriting the warps, my throws weren't lagging through them, and I was the only biotic, so I don't know how else they would manage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I think the new Origin shittiness is causing me to give lag, because I can't keep a crew for more than one game lately when I'm hosting. Hell, one game tonight I watched an Atlas fall through the floor on Vancouver. *sigh* I'm going to miss having awesome ping. :(

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
So what exactly was the "something special" that was promised with the packs today for the weekend challenge? I got a tech damage gear and another Hurricane, not exactly blowing my mind here.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

So what exactly was the "something special" that was promised with the packs today for the weekend challenge? I got a tech damage gear and another Hurricane, not exactly blowing my mind here.

A guaranteed gold in the Victory Pack. Most people got gear, but I've heard reports of guns and even ultra-rares (some lucky/lying bastard said he got a Harrier III).

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So is there some new ability Banshees have that lets them cancel warps? I just got through a Reaper/Dagger/Silver game with my human sentinel and halfway through the match I noticed that warp-throwing led to the regular throw ~whump~ and not a warpsplosion. We didn't have any tech abilities overwriting the warps, my throws weren't lagging through them, and I was the only biotic, so I don't know how else they would manage that.

Banshees can absorb projectile powers when they're in their warp/nova phase. You'll notice they put up a shimmery field around themselves, and they may stop throwing out warps for a second, while they raise their hand.

You can always get explosions off with instant effect things (Reave, Dark Channel, Bubble), though if someone else is hitting her with powers I think the protective field will stop them from working. Sometimes you can still get explosions off with warp/throw, and but I haven't figured out any trick to it. It may be you need to time it based on whether she can interrupt her current animation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

exquisite tea posted:

Finally got a Crusader. Is there any gimmicky class build I can do with this?

I like it on my Ventinel. I tend to run a Harrier and a Claymore or a Crusader because weight is absolutely not a problem for the Vorcha. While it blows against barriers, I find the Crusader absolutely shreds armour. Great against Atlasses.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Crusader is alright on the Destroyer. Just tried it out then. Haven't had much luck on any other classes.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Well I guess I need a Destroyer now because wheeeee Crusader V :v:

It's kind of nice when being used like a snap-shot GST, but when I have a Piranha it's just ridiculous.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I threw both my Eagle and my Crusader onto my Krogan Sentinel to celebrate receiving these piles of poo poowonderful gifts and an amazing bug happened.

Final Stand is for scrubs, UnknownMercenary. :mad:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Schubalts posted:

For Shadows, do you guys recommend movement speed and shield recovery or 50% sword damage after a kill for Sword Mastery?

I do Martial Artist (sword damage) for two reasons. 1: Shadow strike --> heavy melee owns. 2: When you don't want to trigger a cooldown, you can melee, then use shadow strike to immediately get the gently caress out of dodge. Example: Cloak, see a dude. Shadow Strike, wait for cooldown (not all the way, maybe half or so, not that it should be long), heavy melee, then (a)if there is attention on you, immediately shadow strike away to some trash cannibal/assault trooper with cover nearby; or (b) if there isn't attention on you, you can cloak immediately, and continue shadowstriking.

Your 40% or whatever damage reduction sort of mitigates the need for movement speed/shield recovery, especially since you are fast, so you can cartwheel away, sprint and then cartwheel into cover. By the time you're there, your cooldown on cloak should be complete again.

Also Shadow is the most hilarious class.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I threw both my Eagle and my Crusader onto my Krogan Sentinel to celebrate receiving these piles of poo poowonderful gifts and an amazing bug happened.
The best part of that bug is how your body is dead, but your arm still flails around shooting at your targets like a marionette with only one string attached.

Dilb posted:

Sometimes you can still get explosions off with warp/throw, and but I haven't figured out any trick to it. It may be you need to time it based on whether she can interrupt her current animation.
It looks to me like Throw-type explosions don't work from when the shimmery shield goes up to whenever she blasts it outward to damage everyone. At least, that's how it feels with the Fury. Justicar's Warp/Reave spoiled me. :sigh:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Is the Valiant still good? I just got my first in the Commendation pack and I remember everyone loving it months ago.
Also, are the Gear Enhancement consumables? I see people using them even in Bronze matches, and I did not want to risk using a useful one unless I really need to.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
I got some shotgun that was the same color card thing as the pirannah? I forget its name but it looks fancy?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

radintorov posted:

Is the Valiant still good? I just got my first in the Commendation pack and I remember everyone loving it months ago.
Also, are the Gear Enhancement consumables? I see people using them even in Bronze matches, and I did not want to risk using a useful one unless I really need to.

Gear items are not consumed after a match. There is really no reason not to use them.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

radintorov posted:

Most definitely.
I'd argue that it's the most versatile sniper rifle currently in the game. The Black Widow is possibly still better for "actual" sniping and raw damage output, but the fact that there are plenty of really good ARs and shotguns in the game against armored bosses now makes it somewhat less appealing.
The Valiant, on the other hand, is a lot more forgiving about missed shots and more efficient against trash mobs and mid-tier enemies (Marauders, Rocket Troopers, etc.) so it's still a really good sniper rifle for Infiltrators (plus you can get all three shots off during a single Cloak) even if it can't compete with the Black Widow against bosses.
The single shot sniper rifles are becoming increasingly obsolete and the rapid fire ones are pretty much outclassed by assault rifles across the board right now, so yeah, if you want to get some actual sniping on, it's either the Valiant or the Black Widow these days.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

radintorov posted:

Put it this way. If you're really good at headshots use the Black Widow. If not, use the Valiant. Between wasted overkill damage on mooks, the recoil, the firing rate, and the weight (if appliacable) the Valiant is just much more efficient.

I sometimes use it as a secondary weapon with my Destroyer and and with 4 shots, I can kill mooks more efficiently than with the Black Widow.(With the Valiant against unshielded usually I get 1 in the body, and as they're staggering, 1 in the head)

The Black Widow is better against Boss level enemies, but it's not exactly the most optimal weapon for that role since the beefed up assault rifles and shotguns came out

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Whats the best way to keep myself supplied with Ammo mods? I scrimp and save and can barely deploy any.

I also never get to use my AR using classes because I can never get any kind of rail modifier.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Pumpking posted:

Gear items are not consumed after a match. There is really no reason not to use them.

Ammo, Armor, and Weapon ones are consumed after each match though, right? Are those necessary for gold (I see plenty of posts and builds advocating using X rail amp, or whatever)? I don't seem to get enough of them in my crates to seem like it would justify using them. It hasn't been a problem yet, as I'm regularly clearing Silver using low-level weapons (silver and such are at around V, gold and N7 are mainly I through IV or so) and relatively low level (II-IV) gear mods, but I'm getting ready to move up to Gold soon I think and I'd want to know whether I need to start buying jumbo packs to stock up on ammos/amps if those are really necessary to do gold without dragging my team down. (My main/favorite character is a Shadow so it's probably not as necessary to have ammo and weapons).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pumpking posted:

Wish it was mentioned in the in-game manual. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the answer, I'll be sure to always have them equipped, then. :)

I also tried the Valiant, and I'm liking it: I'm used to the Black Widow and I'm also an half-decent shot, but that thing has good ammo capacity, no recoil and feels good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Another Query. Sometimes my ammo, weapon, and armour mods don't get consumed after a mission, and are still in the equipped boxes. Is this something to do with succesful extraction or a bug or....?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ShineDog posted:

Whats the best way to keep myself supplied with Ammo mods? I scrimp and save and can barely deploy any.

I also never get to use my AR using classes because I can never get any kind of rail modifier.

Try running with non-weapon based characters and keep buying JEPs and SPs. Or stick your favorite gun on a character that has the ammo power in their skillset, i.e. Engineers for Cryo, Overload, etc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wampus42 posted:

Try running with non-weapon based characters and keep buying JEPs and SPs. Or stick your favorite gun on a character that has the ammo power in their skillset, i.e. Engineers for Cryo, Overload, etc.
...except that no class in multiplayer has an ammo power as a skill. That's why they're in as consumables in the first place.

So, I got the Crusader I and Omni-capacitors II in my fancy packs. Could be worse I suppose.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I got an N7 Valiant IV from one of the Packs yesterday. I have no idea if that gun is good or not, I've never used it.

As far as characters go, I still need Vorcha Soldier, Male Quarian Engineer, Male Quarian Infiltrator, N7 Demolisher, and N7 Shadow.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Another Query. Sometimes my ammo, weapon, and armour mods don't get consumed after a mission, and are still in the equipped boxes. Is this something to do with succesful extraction or a bug or....?

That usually happens when the host disconnects during a game. You actually use up the consumables like normal when you finish later, but for some reason the game auto-equips you a second set.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Diplomaticus posted:

Ammo, Armor, and Weapon ones are consumed after each match though, right? Are those necessary for gold (I see plenty of posts and builds advocating using X rail amp, or whatever)? I don't seem to get enough of them in my crates to seem like it would justify using them. It hasn't been a problem yet, as I'm regularly clearing Silver using low-level weapons (silver and such are at around V, gold and N7 are mainly I through IV or so) and relatively low level (II-IV) gear mods, but I'm getting ready to move up to Gold soon I think and I'd want to know whether I need to start buying jumbo packs to stock up on ammos/amps if those are really necessary to do gold without dragging my team down. (My main/favorite character is a Shadow so it's probably not as necessary to have ammo and weapons).

Correct. Only the gear (bottom right option) is not consumed. I wouldnt say any equipment is absolutely necessary for any difficulty, but on gold/plat most people will be using consumables relevant to their class. Using a good ammo power/rail amp on a shooty class or extra shield mod on a squishy class will give you a bit of an edge and can make things easier for you and your team. Rail amps also go a long way to making a mediocre gun good or a good gun great. Equipment items are there to be used, and you can always get more so dont hoard them. Experiment and see what you like.

Also if you want to try gold in a relatively safe environment maybe find a gold/geth/firebase white farming game? Your shadow is a pretty good class for that, just electric slash things through walls. Its not really a challenge though and will get boring pretty quickly.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

radintorov posted:

Yes it's still good you're not hearing as much about it because everyone knows it's good and there's new guns to gush about. Obviously you can use it on a sniper infiltrator but it's also a great gun for engineers because it's fairly light.

Diplomaticus posted:

You don't need them for gold. I play gold all the time and I'll usually use at most one or two consumables. They're good for keeping you competitive when you're playing a weak class or for patching weaknesses. You may want a small reserve for when you first step up to gold because going in fully decked will help make the transition a little easier.

JEP's are handy if you're out of gel or rockets but for more rail amps and ammo switch from the PSPs to the the regular spectre packs. You'll get nearly twice as many lvl 3's and it'll help with your uncommon unlocks.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nordick posted:

...except that no class in multiplayer has an ammo power as a skill. That's why they're in as consumables in the first place.

So, I got the Crusader I and Omni-capacitors II in my fancy packs. Could be worse I suppose.

Sorry, I meant use a character that has Warp in lieu of Warp ammo, a character that has Overload in lieu of Disruptor ammo.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

radintorov posted:

Wish it was mentioned in the in-game manual. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the answer, I'll be sure to always have them equipped, then. :)

Well, they kind of didn't exist yet when the manual was made. :v: Not that the manual tells you much about the things that did exist, but such are video game manuals these days.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Consumable equipment also says it's used up after one mission, while gear doesn't say it's used up after one mission. Gear also doesn't have a count, like consumables. :eng101:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Ballistic blades, ballistic blades and ballistic blades. They're amazing: good damage, big cone, and (most importantly) stagger. Try to have a low cooldown, high melee damage and a low damage/high RoF shotgun (scimitar is my favourite). Stagger with blades, falcon punch the toughest guy, blades again and shoot anyone left standing.

It's so satisfying to stagger a Phantom with Ballistic Blades, quickly charge up the Graal, and pop its head right off. Or BalBlades and heavy melee. Even better was when I had a Phantom down to a couple bars and it decided now was a good time to slash me with its sword.

Blade Armor, motherfucker.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I love blade armor. A lot of people spec out of it, but its really good.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Well, they kind of didn't exist yet when the manual was made. :v: Not that the manual tells you much about the things that did exist, but such are video game manuals these days.
True, but the in-game manual could have its "Multiplayer: Equipment" section updated.
Still, it's also true that most publishers don't care about manuals anymore: I miss the 100-page thick manuals we would get with sims and RPGs.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

radintorov posted:

True, but the in-game manual could have its "Multiplayer: Equipment" section updated.
Still, it's also true that most publishers don't care about manuals anymore: I miss the 100-page thick manuals we would get with sims and RPGs.

Ah yes, "effort". :turianass: We have dismissed that claim.

And yeah, my 260-page ring-bound Baldur's Gate 2 manual and I weep with you. God, those were the days. Having something to read about the game while it installed helped keep you hyped for the gaming goodness that was about to happen. Now you have to buy the strategy guide or look up a FAQ or wiki if you want that same experience, except with a high risk of getting spoiled no matter which way you turn. :eng99:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Pumpking posted:

I love blade armor. A lot of people spec out of it, but its really good.

I used to spec out of it. It got buffed a while back though and it's well worth taking now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
What do I need for the Piranha to be useful? I only have it at II, but it feels worthless compared to other weapons I have at that level.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

What do I need for the Piranha to be useful? I only have it at II, but it feels worthless compared to other weapons I have at that level.

You need to pull the trigger.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

AngryBooch posted:

You need to pull the trigger.

Also, pointing at the bad guys general direction. Note, if they appear to be tiny specs, you may want to get closer.

Shotgun Rail amps, and Gear can't hurt either.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I meant weapon mods. Shredder + Barrel? Smart Choke + Shredder? Is it one of those guns that just doesn't feel like it is badass until it's a higher level?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

I meant weapon mods. Shredder + Barrel? Smart Choke + Shredder? Is it one of those guns that just doesn't feel like it is badass until it's a higher level?
Smart choke and shredder. Or smart choke and barrel if you've got another really good way of killing armor. And no, I have it at I and its still eating faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Diplomaticus posted:

Yeah Smart Choke no matter what. Then I go Shredder because I use it up close and personal.

• Locked thread