Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Well, bought this game. Adore it. Having trouble getting adjusted, though I played a lot of Blazblue over the last two years. Any tips or basic stuff for Yosuke? Trying to learn some of his basic flip back and forth strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Taking a break from PS3 version at the moment to play the 360 version of the game. Anyone online to play?

Gamertag: txz

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, "Shadow Chie" was just another Shadow Labrys illusion, like Nanako in Yu's storyline.

The rest of the character stories make it quite clear whenever you see Shadow "Not Labrys", it was Nyarlyothep. Kanji's event makes it the most obvious when the fake Shadow Kanji plainly states in the post fight stuff about turning personas back into shadows.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Labrys, Aigis, Shadow Labrys, Kanji, Teddie, Elizabeth.

Half the cast in this game are characters I seriously want to main. The characters are too fun and this is a problem.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

LibbyM posted:

Labrys, Aigis, Shadow Labrys, Kanji, Teddie, Elizabeth.

Half the cast in this game are characters I seriously want to main. The characters are too fun and this is a problem.

Just learn the other half of the cast and you can main random :unsmigghh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Axle_Stukov posted:

The rest of the character stories make it quite clear whenever you see Shadow "Not Labrys", it was Nyarlyothep. Kanji's event makes it the most obvious when the fake Shadow Kanji plainly states in the post fight stuff about turning personas back into shadows.

Ah, I haven't played all the stories yet and just assumed that anything that happened in The Announcement Room was just Shadow Labrys being a dick.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Jmcrofts posted:

Just learn the other half of the cast and you can main random :unsmigghh:

After two weeks of being stuck between Aki, Teddie, Naoto, and Kanji, I'm straight up willing to just go whole loving hog and letting ? do my talking.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He also voiced Philemon in the P1 remake.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard Philemon in that segment. It's probably because I haven't gotten too far in the P2 remake, though.

Axle_Stukov posted:

I'll give you Shadow Kanji, but all of the other Investigation Team shadows turn back into General Teddie/Shadow Labrys after their fights, after which she gloats that they were another part of her illusion.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
For anyone who missed it, they just released the Level 30 Challenge Demo free DLC today for the US version.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
So after days of trying to succeed with Mitsuru I finally switched to Yukiko. I was much better except for the fact that I could never beat anyone using Akihiko. Akihiko gives no fucks about fans or fire, he's just gonna run up and punch you till you die.

At least, until now. Lost the first round, came back in the last two after avoiding Caesar's instant kill and finishing him with a Cherry Blossom Storm. Holy balls, I'm finally learning how to play this game! If anyone needs me, I'll be having a parade around my apartment for the next hour.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

CaptainPoopsock posted:

One thing I don't get about the fighting game community is when people say you don't learn anything by fighting the CPU. Sure, you don't learn mind games which make up a very important aspect of all competitive gaming and I won't dispute that, but if you can beat the CPU in score attack mode and that's how you cut your teeth before going online then you're obviously doing something right. :D

So this kind of got buried in all the spoiler talk, but no, you really don't learn anything against the CPU. Especially in Score Attack mode, for two reasons: generally the human opponents you fight aren't going to read your controller/be ridiculously overpowered and (this applies to normal modes too) the AI is really dumb. You can bait them into doing the same thing over and over again, and you can always punish it for easy damage. Most human players aren't dumb enough to fall for the same thing more than once, but the AI will happily play right into your hands.

All fighting the CPU will really do is help you practice some combos against something that isn't a Target Dummy. And, I don't know, prove that you actually know how to press buttons.

EDIT: Just look at this video of someone playing against Boss Elizabeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt_zS5F1DVU

Marvel at that amazing AI just walking into Naoto's traps.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Computers are marginally more interesting opponents in anime games than other 2D fighters because they're better than dummies to practice converting random hits into damage but if you're jacking up the CPU difficulty and playing to win don't delude yourself into thinking you're getting better at anything except beating whatever cheating rear end algorithm the game is using.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Asterius is my new favorite Persona. Hitting things with him is just so viscerally satisfying. (Plus, since he's omnipresent, I remember to use him a lot more than the other characters' Personae.)

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Running another tournament this friday at 10:30pm eastern time.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

I'll be streaming as many matches as possible and if I can get a hold of sockbot I'll see what I can do about bringing him into it as well.

Anyone interested about turning this into an online ranbat?

edit: I can start doing the 360 tourneys as well if there's enough interest from you guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zexerous posted:

Running another tournament this friday at 10:30pm eastern time.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

I'll be streaming as many matches as possible and if I can get a hold of sockbot I'll see what I can do about bringing him into it as well.

Anyone interested about turning this into an online ranbat?

edit: I can start doing the 360 tourneys as well if there's enough interest from you guys.

I'm a complete scrub, so I'm sure I'll get my rear end kicked, but I'm considering signing up....

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
People are selling playing the CPU short imo, especially in a game where stuff like execution, conversion, pressure strings etc is so important. So long as you aren't using the computer to inform what tactics do and don't work in real matches it can definitely help you get stuff down.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Signed up. I make no excuses for how random and cheap my Teddie play can be.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I gotta defend my title of second best.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I hate having to work on the weekends. Next time I'll get in on that tourney. :argh:

(On another note: Emalde? Are you still alive? I'm so sorry. :ohdear:)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

S-Alpha posted:

Man, I hate having to work on the weekends. Next time I'll get in on that tourney. :argh:

:argh::hf::argh: Why can't you guys do this when I have days off! Then again my days off suck and my shift leaves me out of a lot of crap.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

S-Alpha posted:

(On another note: Emalde? Are you still alive? I'm so sorry. :ohdear:)

you just had to take everything from me, didn't you

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Is there a list available for everyone who's posted their PSN tag? I want to get my skull cracked online but wading through dozens of "Failed to join room" notices is getting old.

By the by, my PSN is TheArchimage and my current title is Sacred Aiya Assassin.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zexerous posted:

Yeah I am down for a 360 tourney.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm definitely going to bed now. My left thumb is raw from repeatedly failing Elizabeth challenges, haha. #23 has me stuck... I eventually skipped it and did #24, but wow, you've really gotta train to be precise with movements to perfect all of these. It's a fun challenge- but honestly, if you show me someone who has everything at 100%, my mouth would go agape. That's dedication.

They really do help with training for the game itself though, I feel. I've learned a few combos that I would not have expected, had I not done some of the Challenges.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you think 23 is bad 26 is gonna make you die.

For 23 enter your dash near the end, time it as they're hitting the wall basically. The next thing is timing C, since if you do it too early you'll whiff. Look at the demo and see how many steps Liz takes before she throw out Thanatos.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Who, would you say has the easiest challenges? I want to unlock the Mitsuru navigator, but execution has never been my strong suit.

The furthest I've gotten is to Akihiko's challenge 28, which is kind of stumping me. After the command dash->uppercut you're supposed to hit the dummy on the way back down, and my punch never comes out in time. I notice in the demonstration he does a little slide forward, but damned if I can ever get a dash to come out. I've been enjoying his challenge mode, though, they have all been very fun so far.

Also been trying to pick up Chie, but I'm starting to have some 2nd thoughts. I can see how good her pressure game is, but I have trouble getting it done myself. I haven't been able to keep up good blockstrings, end up mashing and getting punished. I'm also not sure how she's supposed to get started, her aerials don't seem so good at jump-ins and her ground-based normals don't seem to have that much range to them. I'm probably a bit too scrubby and mashy for the character, despite my love of meteors.

Maybe I'll give Senpai a try. Also considering Labrys because of dat axe range, but I prefer nice, simple characters and the whole axe stance thing seems anything but.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm also down for a Xbox tourney!

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Don't think I can sign up for the tourney due to timing issues, but I'll throw my PSN RevolverChicken7 if anyone wants to add my scrub Brosuke.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you think 23 is bad 26 is gonna make you die.

Any, er, tips for 26? Cannot time it for the life of me.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Got the game yesterday and started going through the Challenges for everybody. I'm still trying to decide who feels right for me. I thought I'd like Chie but, like blue font said, her range kinda sucks and I'm still too mashy to use her well. I think I'll have to join the Kanji army for now. He's simple and his moves do big damage. My only issue with him is learning when to input the double jump during his j.A string. I think it's challenge 20 where you do:

Sweep, OMC, A, A, j.A, j.A, j.A, j.A, j.B, 214B, 236A

I know I'm supposed to hit the second "up" input after Kanji's third j.A, but I just can't get the timing down. I'm coming from putting serious time into SF4 as my main 2D fighter, so most of my issues are just getting used to this game's style. Double jumps? Air dash? I'm also used to using jabs alot, so the AAAAA combo stuff is throwing me off.

PSN is Static_Rook Let's scrub it up together! Not sure if I can make the tournament but I'll try.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

As someone who likes to play Yukiko, I loving love fighting Kanji players because most of them aren't that good.

If he shocks me, either nail him on the approach or dash if he gets too close. People are learning not to try to grab every time, though.

If they back up, start using Fire Boost and then just loving duck when they jump into the air because they're going to try the dive grab every single time. This leaves them standing in front of Yuki (or anyone really) waiting to eat a combo like a punk. If I'm in awakening this is the time for the ol' push-pull.

that said, someone who knows what they're doing can still wreck my poo poo

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I'm going to be tired as hell come Friday morning, but I'm going to make sure I'm in that tournament again. There's no way I'm going to get better if I'm not playing!

In the meantime, I'll scrubbing it up on PS3. My PSN is the same as my username, so feel free to add me. I've jotted down a few other names from this thread and I think I got everyone on PS3 that self-identified as a scrub.

My list is:
adamkirby1 (plays Yukiko) (skype: SA_Spiffo)
Fumaofthelake (plays Elizabeth)
RevolverChicken7 (plays Yosuke)
Static_Rook (plays Kanji)
cveachmartin (plays Yukiko)
Cake__Attack (plays Labrys/Yu)
Drinkmorewater (plays Random:siren:)
FreyaXI (hasn't unwrapped game yet)
purgatos (plays Elizabeth/Labrys)
Dezinus (plays jobs)
LawnGnomeAttack (plays Kanji/Chie)
MangaCarta (plays one (1) Labrys combo)

I'll be adding you all tonight after work.

I haven't decided on who to main yet though. I got it down to Yu, Yukiko, Naoto or Elizabeth, but I'm having a hard time picking.

Finally, is there anything I can do to get better at air combos other than the standard practice practice practice? I'm okay at stringing together simple combos on the ground, but as soon as I jump all my skills go to absolute poo poo.

Edit: Updated list

JumbocactuarX27 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 15, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

blue font posted:

Who, would you say has the easiest challenges? I want to unlock the Mitsuru navigator, but execution has never been my strong suit.

Shadow Labrys has far and away the easiest Challenge 30, and the rest of her challenges are pretty much easy mode, too.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I'll make a challonge then for a 360 tourney later tonight. As always it'll be streamed as well. Saturday night good for you guys?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Add me to your PS3 scrub-list. PSN Name: cveachmartin. I fail the least with Yukiko and my title is Cocky Li'l Hee-ho. Not sure if I could make a tourney Friday or Saturday night.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Feel free to add me to your scrub list too. PSN is Cake__Attack (two underscores), I roll as either Labrys or Yu.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Add me on the PSN too. I'm Drinkmorewater and I roll as every single character because I suck poo poo at fighting games and feel nothing but shame.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

SA_Spiffo (plays Yukiko)

That's my skype, if you want to add me on PSN it's going to be adamkirby1. If you have voice that's cool, otherwise feel free to skype me. I'll probably be free tomorrow or maybe tonight.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Spiffo posted:

That's my skype, if you want to add me on PSN it's going to be adamkirby1. If you have voice that's cool, otherwise feel free to skype me. I'll probably be free tomorrow or maybe tonight.

My computer is in a totally different room from my PS3, so Skype isn't really an option. My arcade stick has a headset 3.5mm port on it though, I wonder if I can get that working for voice because otherwise I don't have voice on the PS3.

Edit: The headset that came with my stick doesn't work. I guess if I want voice I'll need a bluetooth device. How necessary is voice in multiplayer here anyhow? The in lobby phrases seem pretty comprehensive.

JumbocactuarX27 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Awesome. I'll be adding everyone on this page tonight. I haven't been getting on until late lately (like, 10pm Central), but hopefully I'll get on earlier today. If enough people are around we can get a scrub lobby going and help each other not be scrubby anymore!

• Locked thread