Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

100% gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

That reminds me of Crow's report on Rutherford B. Hayes from MST3K.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I'm glad to see that not only is this show getting critical acclaim, but people are watching it (emphasis mine):

Disney/ABC Television Group posted:

At 9 o’clock [Friday, August 10], the animated hit “Gravity Falls” surged to series highs in Total Viewers (4.18 million), Kids 2-11 (2.59 million/6.3 rating), Kids 6-11 (2.11 million/8.6 rating) and Tweens 9-14 (1.69 million/7.0 rating), ranking as Friday’s #1 cable TV telecast in Total Viewers and the #1 TV telecast across target kid demographics. Moreover, “Gravity Falls” recorded Disney Channel’s best ratings with regular programming in more than 6 months in Total Viewers, Kids 2-11 and Kids 6-11, and in more than 7 months in Tweens 9-14 – since 2/3/12 and 1/6/12, respectively.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Finished watching Double Dipper and the new episode. Those were awesome. I hope we get more episodes like Irrational Treasure (actually solving the mysteries about Gravity Falls)

Loved the "You Stink" Gag froM Grunkle Stan. He was so proud of himself. THe only part I didn't like was Gidion's cameo. We should be seeing him only when the episode revolves around him, not for a gag.

Edit: I also love that Dipper also watches Fringe.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 14, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Remember how we were fawning about the opening animation? Well, the scene with Dipper and the candle at least was animated by the legendary James Baxter (Belle, Quasimodo, etc.)!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Loved the "You Stink" Gag froM Grunkle Stan. He was so proud of himself. THe only part I didn't like was Gidion's cameo. We should be seeing him only when the episode revolves around him, not for a gag.

Why? He's part of the town, I don't see anything wrong with him showing up every now and then. It could serve to further develop him a bit before he takes center stage again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Remember how we were fawning about the opening animation? Well, the scene with Dipper and the candle at least was animated by the legendary James Baxter (Belle, Quasimodo, etc.)!
True story, that candle animation is what convinced me to check out the show. I loved the entire opening (both the animation and the music), but that the moment I kept coming back to because holy poo poo that animation is gorgeous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: I also love that Dipper also watches Fringe.

I think I missed this. Was there a Fringe reference?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think I missed this. Was there a Fringe reference?

Dipper asked if Quentin Trembley was frozen in Amber and being told it was actually peanut brittle.

Or it might not be a Fringe reference, I don't know if any other shows did that.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Dipper asked if the 8th and a half president was frozen in Amber and being told it was actually peanut brittle.

Or it might not be a Fringe reference, I don't know if any other shows did that.

Oh yeah, I did think of Fringe there too, but I think it's more likely that he's referring to real amber - fossilized tree resin that insects are preserved in.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
With global warming, should we be worried about the giant time-devouring baby?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

mobo85 posted:

I'm glad to see that not only is this show getting critical acclaim, but people are watching it (emphasis mine):

Maybe Disney and all these networks will finally realize that people would rather watch good shows that are drawn well then shows of lower quality. Shockingly yes if you make decent shows people will watch them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BigRed0427 posted:

Dipper asked if Quentin Trembley was frozen in Amber and being told it was actually peanut brittle.

Has it been so long that everyone has forgotten Jurassic Park?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
On the topic of adapting memes to Gravity Falls stuff, here is a thing I found. Linked since its episode 8 stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/JVYy4.gif

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Bug posted:

On the topic of adapting memes to Gravity Falls stuff, here is a thing I found. Linked since its episode 8 stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/JVYy4.gif

That would be a very in-character thing for Grunkle Stan to do (if he had heard about Internet memes anyway).

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Irrational Treasure was good and fine but I disliked how Maybel was constantly saying "if we do this serious thing people will stop thinking I'm silly." It's like, yeah, I get that this is a kids show, but kids can remember character motivations for more than five minutes right?

On the other hand we got Crying America Guy so it all got balenced out.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

Irrational Treasure was good and fine but I disliked how Maybel was constantly saying "if we do this serious thing people will stop thinking I'm silly." It's like, yeah, I get that this is a kids show, but kids can remember character motivations for more than five minutes right?

On the other hand we got Crying America Guy so it all got balenced out.

I think it was more a running gag more than reminding the viewer. She was always doing something silly right before or after saying that.

Also we got the baby supreme court. Which I found hilarious because the senate has to approve the president's decision. Also there is no age minimum for the supreme and no job experience requirement to become supreme court judge. Technically you could elect a baby

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 14, 2012

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
Just watched "Irrational Treasure" with my silly sister, who pointed out that if owls keep showing up (like the owl statues outside the museum & Stan's owl clocks), that'd be another very Twin Peaks-esque motif.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I posted:

With global warming, should we be worried about the giant time-devouring baby?

What are you, some kinda hippy? Get outta my jollyocracy

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Only two new episodes scheduled for September. Spoilers for future episodes, I guess.

drat, I thought the three week break was the only break that Hirsch would take. (Possible September episode spoilers) one of the titles reminds me of the premise of an episode Hirsch described in an interview where Mabel finds out she's a tiny bit taller than Dipper and lords that over him. The brief description in text was adorable and it'll most likely be even moreso as a fully animated episode.

Hey, at least it won't be three weeks this time. :v:

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 15, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The other episode sounds like the video game episode we've been hearing about and saw a clip from at SDCC.

And hey, taking longer between episodes means that episodes will be spread out more throughout the year instead of having huge 5 month gaps between seasons.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I haven't seen the episode past Double dipper but I thought that whole episode was amazing. The beginning was something I've done as a kid with silly string and the part that just SLAYS me everytime is when Grunkle Stan has the tape recording of him promising to stay...walks away and pops back in briefly staring at Dipper

Holy hell, gold. GOLD I SAY!!!!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I haven't seen the episode past Double dipper but I thought that whole episode was amazing. The beginning was something I've done as a kid with silly string and the part that just SLAYS me everytime is when Grunkle Stan has the tape recording of him promising to stay...walks away and pops back in briefly staring at Dipper

Holy hell, gold. GOLD I SAY!!!!

I promise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Grunkle Stan is such a hilarious character. He's like a mix of Bender and Mr. Krabs. It's great that they rarely have him learn any kind of lesson or have to give back money he scams.

This show both does and doesn't feel like a Disney Channel show at the same time somehow.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Grunkle Stan is such a hilarious character. He's like a mix of Bender and Mr. Krabs. It's great that they rarely have him learn any kind of lesson or have to give back money he scams.

This show both does and doesn't feel like a Disney Channel show at the same time somehow.

I love how he acted like he knew better with the dollar on a fishing pole trick, tried ignoring it, but just gave in and lunged through the snack table.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Personally my personal high note for the show was the Inconveniencing, and none of the other episodes have reached that again, but the characters and dynamics they've set up still work well enough even in premises as weak as the manitaur episode.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Personally my personal high note for the show was the Inconveniencing, and none of the other episodes have reached that again, but the characters and dynamics they've set up still work well enough even in premises as weak as the manitaur episode.

"That's what I'm sayin'!"

Simple line from Gruncle Stan, but my favorite, and aptly appropriate here.

Also, I just got dine listening to the podcast that has him on as a "guest" and it was hilarious.

Thanks, Jimmy and The Weasel!

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:qq: Oh God no!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Found this on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypzXtYFlTQ

It's the animatics (animation rough draft) for the intro sequence.

Among other things, it shows what is probably an earlier idea for the subliminal "illuminati symbols" image:

More stuff here, here and here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I agree--I think that one was the best so far in terms of the lesson, the depth, the jokes, etc. But I don't think there's been a lovely episode yet.

hooptyjr
Dec 22, 2010

The future is in the past!

Why must there be a three week break followed by a two week break???

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

And more avatar fodder.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Pick posted:

I agree--I think that one was the best so far in terms of the lesson, the depth, the jokes, etc. But I don't think there's been a lovely episode yet.

Yeah, I think probably the "worst" episode they've had thus far was Headhunters and that one is still head and shoulders above pretty much everything else on TV

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I think probably the "worst" episode they've had thus far was Headhunters and that one is still head and shoulders above pretty much everything else on TV

I'd argue Dipper versus Manliness if for nothing else (and there's a bunch else!) than Ducktective, but you're completely right when you say any given episode is leaps and bounds beyond anything else on telly.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I didn't have a favorite episode until now. "Irrational Treasure" was really great.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
It just struck me that "Irrational Treasure" also alludes to a sawmill in Gravity Falls, what with all the logging displays in the museum. While it's relatively logical for a small Oregon town, there's no escaping that it calls Twin Peaks to mind.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Gravity Falls/Deadly Premonition connection just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mr. Palked,
When the sun goes down,
it's like a whole new town.
So says Mr. Stewart.

• Locked thread