Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

grover posted:

That 5 gallon pancake isn't at atmospheric pressure, though, though, it's at 100-150psi. So would actually last more like 10-20 seconds, I guess...

Assuming you regulate it down to the 90 psi most sandblasting equipment I'm familiar with, you might gain a couple extra seconds. Still not worth it in my opinion

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Found an 18" prybar at Princess Auto for two bucks yesterday. :cool:

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I think I already posted this stuff, but I was kinda pumped about it anyway.

I bought a 20 gallon compressor for 80 bucks off Kijiji:

Did this:

And then made this:

Works in a pinch, although I would absolutely never use a tank that small again. Runs out too quickly.

thecobra fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 12, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

rcman50166 posted:

So are jack stands just jack stands, or are there recommended brands? I need a set for general car use. Probably the largest thing I would put on them would be a minivan.

I think you are fine if it's pretty decent steel.

I like US Jack, their lowest capacity model would be over kill but I like the design [double lock prawl, us made and the stands are individually rated]

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/D-41608.cfm

I use them on Humvees, military trailers, rv's, etc, but in those cases everything is 8,000 lb and up.

On the other hand, you may need something that's a bit lower, those are pretty tall.

splangtastic
Oct 16, 2003
Recently got this Warner & Swasey #3 Turret Lathe. Haven't made any car parts yet, but it might be in the future if some decent ideas come along.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm jealous. How much was it?

splangtastic
Oct 16, 2003
$3K with a bunch of tooling. Lots of which I probably won't use, but it's good to have for later projects. It came from Arizona to the shop space I am renting in Denton, Tx which was another $1K.

It's ~4000 pounds of 'Merikan glory from 1953. Recently reconditioned and I love it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

That 5 gallon pancake isn't at atmospheric pressure, though, though, it's at 100-150psi. So would actually last more like 10-20 seconds, I guess...

Except you're not emptying the tank, you're dropping pressure from 100-150psi to 80-90 psi. Below that and the sandblaster won't work right.

Also the valves they use on those won't flow 25cfm.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

daslog posted:

80 Grit is fine for Paint removal, but I have found that 36 grit works faster. Either should be fine though.

For those really pitted rusted areas, you really need to sandblast it or the rust comes back. Even a wire brush wheel won't get it all out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

If you have seen the pictures of the car, there isn't really any "paint" to remove. It's mostly surface rust at this point. I'm going to hit it with the sander, por15 the poo poo out of it, then rattlecan it flat black. If rust shows up later, it gets resanded/sprayed.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

veedubfreak posted:

If you have seen the pictures of the car, there isn't really any "paint" to remove. It's mostly surface rust at this point. I'm going to hit it with the sander, por15 the poo poo out of it, then rattlecan it flat black. If rust shows up later, it gets resanded/sprayed.

Don't Use POR15 on anything you plan on topcoating later. (Unless you don't care about the quality of your paint jobs, in which case go nuts)

Edit: NM, you are going rattlecan I wouldn't do that, since you can do it pretty cheaply other ways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

Don't Use POR15 on anything you plan on topcoating later. (Unless you don't care about the quality of your paint jobs, in which case go nuts)

Or, you know...use the appropriate mid-coat (POR-15 Tie Coat Primer) before your color coat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

daslog posted:

Edit: NM, you are going rattlecan I wouldn't do that, since you can do it pretty cheaply other ways.

Do tell, I just want the car to be black and slightly less prone to disintegration over the next few years. I'm always up for cheaper ways to go about things.

Took it to my thread.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 13, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't even know where this belongs, but I just found it on a Toyota forum and some people seemed to be taking it seriously:

Some Troll posted:

HOW TO TORQUE WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH

25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hahah. I think we're all guilty of that at some point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So when changing the timing belt on a 3.4L 'yota the FSM tells you to remove the hydraulic tensioner, put it in a vice to compress it and pin it in place. Great, except you have to remove the AC compressor and bracket to do that and it's a major pain.

Snap-On to the rescue:

You put that thing between the tensioner pulley and water pump pulley and crank it out. Except I don't have one of those. So I took did something that aparently no one at any of the Toyota forums had thought of as far as I can tell:

The pulley is off of the tensioner, but I left the (soon to be replaced) bracket. You just need to crank the vise clamp as much as you possibly can and use your man hands to get in on there. Then count to 30 as you watch the tensioner retract and stick a 2mm allen wrench in the hole.

Suck it, Snap On.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit:
Ok so brand new Stihl MS251. I got it started once before but it died after a second or two. Now it's very hard to pull, but pulls easily when the spark plug is removed. The internet tells me that I probably flooded the engine, but I don't know what to do now when it's flooded.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 15, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit:
Ok so brand new Stihl MS251. I got it started once before but it died after a second or two. Now it's very hard to pull, but pulls easily when the spark plug is removed. The internet tells me that I probably flooded the engine, but I don't know what to do now when it's flooded.

Stick a rag on top of the spark plug hole, just on the outside not into the cylinder. Give it a couple of pulls to splash the fuel out then put the plug back in.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

FatCow posted:

Stick a rag on top of the spark plug hole, just on the outside not into the cylinder. Give it a couple of pulls to splash the fuel out then put the plug back in.

I tried. Nothing was splashed out. From what I could tell the spark plug wasn't "wet" neither. The manual had a similar procedure that I tried, didn't help.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Motronic posted:

The pulley is off of the tensioner, but I left the (soon to be replaced) bracket. You just need to crank the vise clamp as much as you possibly can and use your man hands to get in on there. Then count to 30 as you watch the tensioner retract and stick a 2mm allen wrench in the hole.

I approve of this use of brute force and vicegrips. :tipshat:

Brigdh posted:

You'd probably be more productive sanding by hand with a one inch square of sandpaper than blasting for 2 seconds, and then waiting 20 minutes.

Option one is for non-drinkers. Option two is for men who own coolers and lawn chairs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit:

Did you read the starting instructions, you have to squeeze the throttle when you are clicking the ignition button down. It holds the throttle open and will flip up when it starts. Pull a few pulls on full choke then click it up one to run. Work the throttle when it starts so it doesn't stay on WOT. Other then that I don't know what is wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ALL NEW!!! From Motronic Heavy Industries and Private Military Contracting, Ltd

Too cheap and/or disorganized to get the proper SST for a Toyota crank? Getting it back to 217 ft/lbs of torque got you down?

Try the ALL NEW "Bar Stockinator":

"Yes, those are Harbor Freight punches." (tm)

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I used a similar setup to get the crank pulley off of my Honda.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cowwan posted:

I used a similar setup to get the crank pulley off of my Honda.

Off wasn't much of a problem on this one, as I already had the bottom armor off and it's a straight shot to the garage floor from the pulley once you're at that point. I just used a breaker bar with a cheater pipe sitting on the floor and bumped the starter as my 1/2" air ratchet was too big to fit (even with the radiator already out).

On is a different story......I don't think there's any way around holding it, and strap wrenches just aren't gonna cut it at those kinds of torque values.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Very similar to the crank gear pulley tool required on older Harley Davidson sportsters. Good show.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So since we're having compressor chat around here, can anyone tell me what to look for in a compressor that would be decent for painting? Right now I'm running off a 20 gal, 5hp craftsman, but even at the max it only puts out like 8 scfm, which is okay for small jobs or in bursts, but I'd like to upgrade. So what should I look for in terms of Gallons/engine size/HP? I'm guessing I'd have to go up into the 220V range for something that would work like that too?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elephanthead posted:

Did you read the starting instructions, you have to squeeze the throttle when you are clicking the ignition button down. It holds the throttle open and will flip up when it starts. Pull a few pulls on full choke then click it up one to run. Work the throttle when it starts so it doesn't stay on WOT. Other then that I don't know what is wrong.

Yep. Followed the instructions to the letter. I did the "If the engine doesn't start" procedure as well. Must have put it on wrong setting by mistake and pulled. I dunno.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yep. Followed the instructions to the letter. I did the "If the engine doesn't start" procedure as well. Must have put it on wrong setting by mistake and pulled. I dunno.

Its a new saw, bring it to the place you bought it. Did it ever run? Is it possible that you put straight gas in it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ExplodingSims posted:

So since we're having compressor chat around here, can anyone tell me what to look for in a compressor that would be decent for painting? Right now I'm running off a 20 gal, 5hp craftsman, but even at the max it only puts out like 8 scfm, which is okay for small jobs or in bursts, but I'd like to upgrade. So what should I look for in terms of Gallons/engine size/HP? I'm guessing I'd have to go up into the 220V range for something that would work like that too?

Something to consider is an LVLP gun. I use the Warwick 904H.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you're going to be painting you NEED a water separator / filter setup on the supply line to the gun, preferably on the supply line to all the tools. Unless you like massive numbers of fisheyes in your paint that is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

preferably on the supply line to all the tools

Or at least have a dedicated hose for painting, which is what I do. My cheap poo poo water separator steals enough CFMs that it pisses me off for non-painting duties so I've gone to that setup. Those with more $$$ to spend on equipment won't have this issue.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

If you're going to be painting you NEED a water separator / filter setup on the supply line to the gun, preferably on the supply line to all the tools. Unless you like massive numbers of fisheyes in your paint that is.

I've actually got 2 Devilbiss HVLP guns, and a QC3 3-stage filter, and one hose for paint and one for tools, I'm just looking to get a larger compressor. I've been painting for a while now, but even with the HVLP guns, the compressor doesn't meet the minimum SCFM requirement. (Its something like 13 Scfm for the big ones.) I've had plenty of success using the smaller Kobalt guns, but anytime I use the HVLP guns I always end up having to wait for the compressor to charge after like a 30 seconds of spraying. I can get good results, but it just involves waiting a whole bunch.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can get campbell hausfeld and ingersoll rand compressors at lowes/home depot. $800-1000 would set you up nicely. I'd stick with the name brands for easier parts availability down the road.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202889756
http://www.lowes.com/pd_337408-28309-SS5N5_4294795218__?productId=3354162

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Are there any good hand tool websites that offer free US shipping? I need to pickup some Wiss 13.25" duckbill tin snips (~$28) and the larger bulldog tin snips(~$65).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSC industrial supply has free shipping today. SHIP99W I don't know if they are good or not.

You have to spend 99 bucks so you will need to add a filler.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 17, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
My jack broke. Sunk a wheel in soft asphalt and the frame twisted :( Portability is important to me, so I don't want a 50lb hoss, but it needs to be safe and reliable. Seems to be rather slim picking among compact jacks, though. How's the Torin 2 ton jack Wal-Mart sells? How's it compare to Harbor Freight's?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jack-2-Ton-360-Degree-Jack-Handle/14560041

grover fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 17, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

grover posted:

My jack broke. Sunk a wheel in soft asphalt and the frame twisted :( Portability is important to me, so I don't want a 50lb hoss, but it needs to be safe and reliable. Seems to be rather slim picking among compact jacks, though. How's the Torin 2lb jack Wal-Mart sells? How's it compare to Harbor Freight's?

I've had this one for a few years http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-2.5-Ton-Low-Pro-Jack/14560042 . It doesn't do much other than lift the car long enough to change summers to snows and move my bug around. Comes with a case too which is pretty cool, and has room in the case for a foldup 4way. Had to get the low profile one because my last car only had like 4 inches of clearance.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

My jack broke. Sunk a wheel in soft asphalt and the frame twisted :( Portability is important to me, so I don't want a 50lb hoss, but it needs to be safe and reliable. Seems to be rather slim picking among compact jacks, though. How's the Torin 2 ton jack Wal-Mart sells? How's it compare to Harbor Freight's?

I have owned this one, and I gave it away. It's an OK jack (each pump lifts maybe 2mm, I swear), but it's not really any smaller than any other jack I've owned. I would suggest the HF jack I currently own, but evidently they've gone from $40 to $90, so, screw that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which HF aluminum jack is the jack to get these days?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

veedubfreak posted:

I've had this one for a few years http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-2.5-Ton-Low-Pro-Jack/14560042 . It doesn't do much other than lift the car long enough to change summers to snows and move my bug around. Comes with a case too which is pretty cool, and has room in the case for a foldup 4way. Had to get the low profile one because my last car only had like 4 inches of clearance.
Well, just bought this one. Takes a lot of pumps to lift the car (more than my last jack) but seems sturdy enough. I just wish it had a carrying handle. I think I'll keep it raised an inch or two and use the front axle as a handle. Already taped the jack point on to keep it from falling off (why would they do that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Chiming in to say that I love my 100 pound HF full-size steel jack. Best tool purchase ever. It's portable enough if you eat your wheaties.