Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NmareBfly posted:

Sure they wanted to get rid of all the ads, but they didn't make the goal for complete ad removal so they won't.

Except that's their stated goal. They should've ran a one million dollar ks and seen if that lived or died. Instead, they half-deliver and make 500k, despite it being contrary to what their video, title, and byline stated (complete removal of ads from their site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Alright conspiracy theorists, explain this.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void/

We got something like 45% of our funding in the last day, does that mean that I bankrolled it to get $34k?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Occupation posted:

Oh wait that's what you meant? Well, despite it being a literal impossibility with the current TV production model (unless they wanted to start like a ten million dollar ks, and even then it probably wouldn't be enough), no, I wouldn't really be cool with a showrunner or production studio trying to crowdfund a season they were gonna bankroll anyways.

Alright then, that's a reasonable opinion, I can't easily say anything wrong with it. I just disagree, for various reasons. :unsmith:

Probably the main one being the effect that courting advertisers sometimes has on the media that gets produced. Though, I say that as a general concept, not that I necessarily think PA has an issue there.

LumberingTroll posted:

We got something like 45% of our funding in the last day, does that mean that I bankrolled it to get $34k?

I thought that went without saying. :haw: (if you're actually serious, your average backer gave $26 [instead of $108], which actually matches up to the selected rewards)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 14, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Occupation posted:

Except that's their stated goal. They should've ran a one million dollar ks and seen if that lived or died. Instead, they half-deliver and make 500k, despite it being contrary to what their video, title, and byline stated (complete removal of ads from their site).

Title: Penny Arcade Sells Out
Byline: People ask how they can support Penny Arcade in a way that doesn't involve shirts or looking at ads, and we think we've found a way.
Video: At 2 minutes in they state they'll need a million dollars to get rid of all the ads.

Still not seeing any conflicts, or broken promises.

I'm going to drop it, though. We're not gonna agree on this.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

LumberingTroll posted:

No, it proves the existence of the elusive Goon Rush.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jopRHhEnlVI

Yep, sold!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

zenintrude posted:

No, it proves the existence of the elusive Goon Rush.

Actually it was Reddit and Direct Traffic sorry to say, they were our largest backing force.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

zenintrude posted:

Has Minecraft given all indie devs the green light to make games that look horrible? This is a serious question and I'm not trying to poo poo on your project, it just seems like it's getting to be a thing now.

How is that not making GBS threads on it?
Indie games aren't all Cave Story's and Aquarias and Gemini Rue. "Good graphics" have never been a major component of them. If programmer graphics excludes a game from being playable to you, that's your preference, but there's a large chunk of people who really don't care.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

LumberingTroll posted:

Your final jump is also significantly smaller then theirs. A lot of kickstarters reach their goal on the last day, probably because of the way kickstarters site is set up but I don't really want to get into that right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

prahanormal posted:

Your final jump is also significantly smaller then theirs. A lot of kickstarters reach their goal on the last day, probably because of the way kickstarters site is set up but I don't really want to get into that right now.

It probably has less to do with the actual site and much more to do with human psychology in general.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Yup,
Anything that Paul Robertson is part of, I'm totally supporting.

Even if he's a bit of a perverted weirdo; his art is my favourite.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I don't really know how to ask this. I'm working on a sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (it's not actually called that!! but it's a sequel) and I want to put it on Kickstarter. What is a realistic goal to shoot for? I think $25k is good but it's not nearly enough to do what I'd like to do with the game. On just the name/legacy/whatever alone, do you think I could ask for more? I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything, none of the actual money would go to me, I just want to know what would be a realistic goal to set for this Kickstarter.

Also, I don't have much to show now and I'd want to work on it for at least another month before I put anything up, but would a playable demo that does NOT include most of the features I'd like to be in the game and is not very representative of the overall experience a good idea? This would be like a proof of concept, that we're not just a bunch of dummies asking for cash but we're actually doing big things with it.

I'd really appreciate any advice you all could give. Thanks!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't really know how to ask this. I'm working on a sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (it's not actually called that!! but it's a sequel) and I want to put it on Kickstarter. What is a realistic goal to shoot for? I think $25k is good but it's not nearly enough to do what I'd like to do with the game. On just the name/legacy/whatever alone, do you think I could ask for more? I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything, none of the actual money would go to me, I just want to know what would be a realistic goal to set for this Kickstarter.

Also, I don't have much to show now and I'd want to work on it for at least another month before I put anything up, but would a playable demo that does NOT include most of the features I'd like to be in the game and is not very representative of the overall experience a good idea? This would be like a proof of concept, that we're not just a bunch of dummies asking for cash but we're actually doing big things with it.

If $25k isn't enough then I think it's probably okay for you to ask for at least twice that amount on the name alone, because if the project falls through there's nothing preventing you from taking it down and starting with a lower goal. What people really don't want is a half-finished project. Now shut the gently caress up and take my money.

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

Relax. It's still time for Klax.

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't really know how to ask this. I'm working on a sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (it's not actually called that!! but it's a sequel) and I want to put it on Kickstarter.

The fact that you've already made a successful game is definitely proof that you're worth funding. Have you done a breakdown of what the specific costs would be? That should help you determine the right amount. If you present realistic goals with a realistic amount, your project is a safer bet, and you look better for it. And aim high, and be conservative - it always costs more than you'd think.

By the way, I would play the hell out of your game (CBSUAJG2?).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardee posted:

Holy poo poo

You make an awesome funny video, have a link to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, and a link to a neat demo for the new game (all of which I'm sure you can do easy because you are amazing) and I will throw fistfulls of money at you and tell everyone I know to do the same thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't think there's a single person who's played Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden who has not been desperately craving more from the moment they completed it. So long as you're good about publicizing the Kickstarter, you're probably going to have a lot of nerds throwing money at you. You've proven that you can deliver, and that what you deliver is worth paying for, so I don't see a reason to aim low.

Because of that, I'm not sure a demo just to show you can actually program is going to be necessary. You've already proven yourself. I'd put the time that would go into making that demo into creating at least mockups of what you want your final product to look like. I don't know about everyone else, but I find that I react a lot better when I can see gameplay footage (even if it's not really actual *gameplay*) than when it's just video of the devs talking about ideas.

applesaucers
Jun 13, 2012

loyalty, faith, and motivation; a conviction that will lead to victory no matter the odds

Chef Boyardee posted:

Here's a thing Chewbot wrote about the kickstarter he worked on. If I were you I'd ask for mod permission to start a thread for it, as there's likely a lot of people who'd be interested but don't follow this thread.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I didn't really need that 15 bucks anyways. :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

applesaucers posted:

Here's a thing Chewbot wrote about the kickstarter he worked on. If I were you I'd ask for mod permission to start a thread for it, as there's likely a lot of people who'd be interested but don't follow this thread.

Thanks for that, I was looking for that article recently but couldn't find it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

You seem to care about this a whee bit too much, but I honestly don't see your personal stake in it. Other, more deserving KickStarters aren't getting funded? That's one hell of an opinion you have there. I don't think the ones that donated will agree, because people will waste their money the way they want to and neither you nor me will stop them from "wasting" capita on stuff you or I might find unimportant. I don't give a poo poo about ads on Penny Arcade because I have Adblocker, but I still don't give a poo poo about a Kickstarter where they openly admit they are selling out.

Seriously; They are as frank as poo poo about it and people still donate. If people go to that extent, I don't think you really have a right to claim that it is money going to waste.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm man enough to admit that I don't like the PA kickstarter because I think their website is sleazy and unfunny and because I don't think that a site that has been in operation since 1998 is being 'kick started' in any significant sense by the kickstarter campaign.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Chef Boyardee posted:

I've always wondered, did you ever seek out/get Barkley's approval for that game? Since it's freeware I figured you might not have since it wouldn't be legally required. On the other hand, he seems like a cool enough dude to agree to something like that. However, if you're planning to raise money for a sequel, you'll either need an explicit release from him to use his name and likeness or you'll have to use a substitute character, like Darles Markley.

(Sorry if you know this already - I'm definitely down for backing a sequel.)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thewittyname posted:

I've always wondered, did you ever seek out/get Barkley's approval for that game? Since it's freeware I figured you might not have since it wouldn't be legally required. On the other hand, he seems like a cool enough dude to agree to something like that. However, if you're planning to raise money for a sequel, you'll either need an explicit release from him to use his name and likeness or you'll have to use a substitute character, like Darles Markley.

(Sorry if you know this already - I'm definitely down for backing a sequel.)

Isn't parody protected under fair use, even if it's for profit?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Yes

It's basically how Weird Al's career continues to exist.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

It's also how MAD Magazine has been able to operate all these years... actors, athletes, politicians, and other "public" figures are all free game when it comes to likeness rights and parody.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yes

It's basically how Weird Al's career continues to exist.

Weird Al seeks permission from the artists despite the fact that he doesn't need to, and in most cases, he honors their wishes. He has gone against the wills of the labels, though, by releasing tracks they didn't like for free instead of putting them on an album.

zenintrude posted:

It's also how MAD Magazine has been able to operate all these years... actors, athletes, politicians, and other "public" figures are all free game when it comes to likeness rights and parody.

Likeness rights, no, but parody, yes. Many actors/actresses retain their likeness rights which apply to things like merchandise and toys and such, basically stuff made specifically to make money off of their likeness (like Captain Jack action figures) but characitures in MAD are parody.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 15, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

mutata posted:

Likeness rights, no, but parody, yes. Many actors/actresses retain their likeness rights which apply to things like merchandise and toys and such, basically stuff made specifically to make money off of their likeness (like Captain Jack action figures) but characitures in MAD are parody.

I meant likeness rights when used for parody purposes... i.e. MAD can feature a cover with GWB getting a golden shower from Alfred E. Newman or something like that.

Perhaps I should not have used the word rights, just likeness.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I'm just spouting useless information because some people here at work have dealt with it lately so it's on the brain.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Terminally Bored posted:

Amiga owners - represent! The game of my childhood remastered:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

I'm going to mug people to get this funded.

I've spent so many hours as a kid playing Wings that I don't even want to try and count them

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Al! posted:

I seem to remember there being some legal fuzziness in the area, actually. A direct parody is protected, but using the likeness of Charles Barkley to parody JRPGs might not be (since it's not a parody of Charles Barkley). I'm not saying one way or another is totally correct, but it's gray enough that an angry lawyer could ruin your day.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

seorin posted:

I seem to remember there being some legal fuzziness in the area, actually. A direct parody is protected, but using the likeness of Charles Barkley to parody JRPGs might not be (since it's not a parody of Charles Barkley). I'm not saying one way or another is totally correct, but it's gray enough that an angry lawyer could ruin your day.

I think that was the problem Penny Arcade had when they made a comic featuring Strawberry Shortcake to parody American McGee's Alice- since Strawberry Shortcake wasn't the subject of the parody, their use of her wasn't fair use. It's definitely something worth looking into; maybe ask in the legal questions megathread unless there's a more specific fair use thread I'm unaware of.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

seorin posted:

It's a very complicated legal area because you're talking about the intersection of the First Amendment (constitutional law), copyright and fair use (federal law) and the right to publicity (state law). I shouldn't have used such absolute language before - I don't know for certain that a release from Barkley is necessary to raise funds to produce a new game. However, without it there's a good chance of a lawsuit. Merely claiming parody is not necessarily enough to sustain a defense against a person's right to publicity.

Anyway, this is getting away from Kickstarter chat and I apologize for the derail. If you want to learn more, the legal questions thread might be good, but also take a look at these two articles on how the rights of parody and publicity intersect in the law.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Oh man, thanks a lot for the responses everyone and especially thanks for the Banner Saga article. This has all been very helpful, although I'm still not sure where I'd want to set the actual Kickstarter goal. One thing that Banner Saga article made me start thinking about is physical rewards. How necessary are these? I've got some good ideas for rewards but I don't know if I can afford physical items (even though they'd be pretty cool I guess). Is it a no deal if you can't get physical rewards or is it something I don't necessarily need?

Also, in regards to permission and parody and everything, we didn't get permission from anyone, whether it was Barkley himself or Accolade or anyone else. We didn't really expect anyone to actually play the game so it would never be an issue. We're playing it a little safer this time (but we're not compromising anything) because I don't really feel like getting sued.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actively dislike physical rewards. I don't need more nerd poo poo cluttering up my actual life. And no offense, because I loving love Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, but the wacky earnest bizarre offbeat parody genre isn't the sort of thing that I would want to wear on a T-Shirt in civilized society or anything like that, so unless you're going in some sort of understated, sophisticated direction with your next game, I suspect I'd much rather enjoy it on my computer rather than on my chest (via T-Shirt) or on my wall (via a poster) or whatever.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I sort of like the idea of Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden measuring spoons or something.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I actively dislike physical rewards. I don't need more nerd poo poo cluttering up my actual life. And no offense, because I loving love Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, but the wacky earnest bizarre offbeat parody genre isn't the sort of thing that I would want to wear on a T-Shirt in civilized society or anything like that, so unless you're going in some sort of understated, sophisticated direction with your next game, I suspect I'd much rather enjoy it on my computer rather than on my chest (via T-Shirt) or on my wall (via a poster) or whatever.

I agree with everything you say but aren't physical rewards there to trick reddit nerds into paying 100 bucks for a nerd shirt? That is, you and I think may think nerd poo poo is terrible and don't want it in our homes but we also aren't very likely to spend 150 dollars on something that might not pan out.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Al! posted:

I agree with everything you say but aren't physical rewards there to trick reddit nerds into paying 100 bucks for a nerd shirt? That is, you and I think may think nerd poo poo is terrible and don't want it in our homes but we also aren't very likely to spend 150 dollars on something that might not pan out.
Yes, I suppose that's true. In that case the problem is making sure that the physical rewards aren't too expensive to produce and aren't too time consuming to disperse. Unless you have any experience with this sort of thing I'd be very cautious with putting yourself on the hook to shipping massive amounts of stuff to people all over the world. I've heard tales of people getting slightly torn Kickstarter posters, tales of Kickstarters having to spend massive amounts of money and time shipping stuff, especially to Europe, etc. Getting into the whole physical goodies game takes a certain amount of expertise and it's not a step to be taken lightly.

Then again I don't really know what I'm talking about so basically ask Chewbot or something.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like we might get a kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation, a spiritual sequel to TA by Uberent.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planetary-annihilation-preview-when-strategy-worlds-collide-with-moons/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So in a surprise last minute twist, Gabe/Mike from Penny Arcade posts this about the PA Kickstarter, which is ending in an hour and is not going to hit the $550k Lookouts comic stretch goal:

quote:

It doesn’t look like we’ll hit the Lookouts goal. The idea was that if we raised enough money we could replace projects for advertisers with our own stuff. Right now if I’m not drawing Penny Arcade I’m drawing something for an advertiser. That’s why if we do the CTS or Automata, it takes the place of the normal PA comic. We’ve decided that this Daughters of the Eyrewood story is too cool not to make though. So even though we didn’t fund it, we will be producing the Daughters comic and It will take the place of a PA presents project. That means it will be a stand alone project that will run alongside the normal PA comic rather than instead of it.

Which basically undercuts the entire idea of the Kickstarter, which is that they can't make what they want to make because they have to spend all their time drawing things for advertisers. Whereas it actually turns out that they can apparently do whatever the gently caress they want if they want it hard enough, they just can't do quite as much of it as they'd like. So... the Kickstarter was to give them some breathing room to do this stuff with more cash in their pocket, even though they can clearly do at least some of it without Kickstarter money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chef Boyardee posted:

Oh man, thanks a lot for the responses everyone and especially thanks for the Banner Saga article. This has all been very helpful, although I'm still not sure where I'd want to set the actual Kickstarter goal. One thing that Banner Saga article made me start thinking about is physical rewards. How necessary are these? I've got some good ideas for rewards but I don't know if I can afford physical items (even though they'd be pretty cool I guess). Is it a no deal if you can't get physical rewards or is it something I don't necessarily need?

Also, in regards to permission and parody and everything, we didn't get permission from anyone, whether it was Barkley himself or Accolade or anyone else. We didn't really expect anyone to actually play the game so it would never be an issue. We're playing it a little safer this time (but we're not compromising anything) because I don't really feel like getting sued.

I think you should be honest with yourself and the community and just set the kickstarter to what you actually need to make the game you want. Or else you get into a Star Command situation where they double dip, or like that other recent game that had the project head offering a programming job at $200 a week. It's better to just put an honest goal out there than to lowball it and run into trouble and great personal duress later on.

This is just a personal opinion. I don't know if that's the safest possible route, but TBH, I kind of look down on super cheap game kickstarters that only ask for around 5k-15k or so. It's not very rational but there you have it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 15, 2012