Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Don't be put off by the anime in the screenshots, Twicca has a very clean interface and is my favorite Twitter client so far. It launches really quickly, loads tweets fast, updates often, and has nice bonus stuff like user-muting and color-coding without feeling like a cluttered mess like Plume. Best of all, it has a very robust in-app image viewer so you don't keep getting bumped out to a Web browser.

It's really good and very light. Plume always was in the Top 5 of memory consumed, Twicca is like 10 or 12.

Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gmq posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended it.
Given the conversation about the anime corresponding with the screenname/avatar, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it was the kawaiiest who suggested it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

Given the conversation about the anime corresponding with the screenname/avatar, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it was the kawaiiest who suggested it.
Yep. It's a really good app, I was using plume before and twicca is a million times better. The color labels thing is awesome, especially if you follow a lot of people.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a bit of a strange question. Is there an app that can make my tablet's volume quieter?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

So, I don't know why I didn't try this before, but...

I installed BubbleUPNP last night. Once I enabled UPNP in XBMC settings, its been super easy to just stream videos and pictures off my phone right to my TV.

So yeah, if you use XBMC and Android and aren't behind the times like me, give it a go. It's pretty cool.

I've got to mention just how much I like Skifta for this same purpose, but also:
* Highly lightweight and doesn't feel like it's taking over your life
* Has a remote streaming option (i.e. when away from home) - if you use their also very lightweight built in server (you can still use XBMC or anything else as your media player, this thing doesnt take over your life)
* Not only can it play on the N7, it can also push videos from the tablet or any source it can connect to to any other DNLA device.
* When points 2 and 3 (note: points are not numbered) are combined, this means you can be round a friends house who has just bought his new dogs-bollocks TV, connect up to your media library at your house and stream your content to their fancy pants DNLA capable TV.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I would love to know that as well. Group SMS is the only major missing feature from Android, I think.

Both my Nexus One and Galaxy S3 allowed for multiple recipients on an outgoing text
For incoming texts, the SMS setup does not have this by default, but if you can coax them onto say, Facebook Messenger, that might mitigate that.
Otherwise, I can only help with outgoing texts...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lowen SoDium posted:

Coincidentally, I was also playing with Bubbleupnp last night. You can also use it to stream videos from your XBMC library to your phone or tablet. XBMC's library shows up as a UPNP/DLNA share.

I know this is a few pages back, but doing that requires that you keep XBMC running. My HTPC doubles as my regular desktop, so that's not a real option for me. Plus no transcoding.

Windows Media Player can also stream over a LAN, but transcodes to a hilariously low bitrate, at least to my Xbox and my networked bluray player.

Serviio is a free* upnp/dlna server that handles transcoding, on a per-device basis. Bubbleupnp also has a server component for streaming over a mobile connection, but requires a UPNP server to piggyback on, from what I've been able to dig up.

* there's a few pay features in it, but everything most people need it for is available in the free version.

Heners_UK posted:

I've got to mention just how much I like Skifta for this same purpose, but also:

Just tried Skifta, the server only supports 1 photo, 1 video, 1 music folder. Kinda lovely if you have stuff spread out across multiple drives - even Windows Media Player can handle multiple folders when you're using its built-in UPnP server.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 14, 2012

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Both my Nexus One and Galaxy S3 allowed for multiple recipients on an outgoing text
For incoming texts, the SMS setup does not have this by default, but if you can coax them onto say, Facebook Messenger, that might mitigate that.

Go SMS Pro let's you do group messaging both in and out. You just have to make sure it's sending an MMS and works just like those fancy pants iPhones.

It has a ton of other great features too (built in doodling woo!)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

With SD Maid, if I buy the pro version and use the System Cleaner and App Cleaner, do I need to worry about it deleting stuff like songs I've pinned for offline use in Play Music or save game files? Or is it pretty smart about that stuff?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Does anyone have any good recommendations for free budget apps? I'm looking for something that's good for both daily recording (basically just listing down everything I spend on as it happens) and monthly planning.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for free budget apps? I'm looking for something that's good for both daily recording (basically just listing down everything I spend on as it happens) and monthly planning.

mint.com is pretty good and has a droid app.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Bonzo posted:

mint.com is pretty good and has a droid app.
Seconded. I've been using Mint for about...2 years now?
Highly recommended.

I set my budget by just buying stuff for 6 months, setting my budget off of my actual spending habits at first - then modifying from there. It's FAR easier to do it that way than to arbitrarily plunk down a bunch of numbers from your "best guess".

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010
What's a good app for listening to podcasts? I want to download them at home so I can then listen to them at work the following day. Free or paid, don't mind, whatever's best.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dynodash posted:

What's a good app for listening to podcasts? I want to download them at home so I can then listen to them at work the following day. Free or paid, don't mind, whatever's best.

If you use Google Reader to manage your podcasts I can't recommend GoodNews enough. Even if you don't, you could start and I'd still recommend it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

If you use Google Reader to manage your podcasts I can't recommend GoodNews enough. Even if you don't, you could start and I'd still recommend it.

How is better than BeyondPod? I have BeyondPod but not thrilled with it right now and I just purchased GoodNews.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gariig posted:

How is better than BeyondPod? I have BeyondPod but not thrilled with it right now and I just purchased GoodNews.
I've never used BeyondPod so I can't really say. As for GoodNews, I like that podcast downloads are automatically done in the background (another poster said it did this despite him selecting wifi only but that has not been a problem for me) without any intervention or management on my part. It works with the stock lockscreen controls without any kind of futzing. It looks attractive and is configurable enough to fit my use patterns. It has everything I want and nothing I don't plus it's a really good RSS reader so I like it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I've never used BeyondPod so I can't really say. As for GoodNews, I like that podcast downloads are automatically done in the background (another poster said it did this despite him selecting wifi only but that has not been a problem for me) without any intervention or management on my part. It works with the stock lockscreen controls without any kind of futzing. It looks attractive and is configurable enough to fit my use patterns. It has everything I want and nothing I don't plus it's a really good RSS reader so I like it.

I keep meaning to move my podcasts out of PocketCasts into GoodNews, because it seems like its pretty sweet and since I already use GoodNews for RSS reading, it will be one less app to clutter up my app drawer.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Another vote for GoodNews here. I'm considering getting the paid version.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

dynodash posted:

I use pocket casts for this exact purpose: new episodes are downloaded when available and I'm on Wifi so I can listen to them any time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Heners_UK posted:

Sending is just fine. Receiving, though, is literally the most annoying thing in the world. Getting 4 or 5 texts in quick succession from multiple people just annoys the poo poo out of me, especially since the iOS people are seeing it all in one place (I think?)

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
How well does the Lastpass app integrate into Android (I use Chrome as my browser, if that matters). I know that there are Dolphin and Firefox plugins or something.

Is Goodreads GoodNews and Flipboard in the same space, or are they slightly different?

Siroc fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 15, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Siroc posted:

How well does the Lastpass app integrate into Android (I use Chrome as my browser, if that matters). I know that there are Dolphin and Firefox plugins or something.
I'm curious about this as well. I've never missed LastPass integration on my phone but it wouldn't hurt.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Siroc posted:

Is Goodreads and Flipboard in the same space, or are they slightly different?

If you are looking for it to autofill forms and passwords, then realistically your only option is to use the Dolphin Browser+Plugin (which is actually quite nice and in my experience better than Chrome). The app has a built-in soft keyboard which you can use to autofill in anything, but it's buggy as all hell. The app also comes with it's own browser which is worthless. What the app does allow you to do is access and edit your LP Vault, copy usernames and passwords from your vault, generate secure passwords (which you can copy to clipboard). Keep in mind though that all of this stuff require a LP Premium sub.

Goodreads is a social network where users can review books they've read and find books that they want to read, whereas Flipboard, as I understand it, is an app for reading magazines. e: Looks like Flipboard is one of those "magazine-ify web & social content" dealios, so it occupies the same space as stuff like Pulse and Google Currents. Maybe you meant GoodNews instead of Goodreads, in which case... I don't believe Flipboard can do Podcasts and RSS feeds, so I guess that would be the difference.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 15, 2012

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

I did mean GoodNews, thanks.

What about using Lastpass with apps? Plugging a randomly generated pw into Facebook's app?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Siroc posted:

What about using Lastpass with apps? Plugging a randomly generated pw into Facebook's app?

It allows you to generate (and save) passwords if that's what you're asking but you need to copy/paste them to the app you're using.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Just tried Skifta, the server only supports 1 photo, 1 video, 1 music folder. Kinda lovely if you have stuff spread out across multiple drives - even Windows Media Player can handle multiple folders when you're using its built-in UPnP server.

I will admit thats a downside of the server in it's current state. Skifta team are well aware and working on it. For the moment, I just pointed that at my main video folder.

Remember, at least for internal network stuff, you don't HAVE to use Skifta server. I initially used XBMC as the server and it worked just fine. I think if you have Skifta server and XMBC server running simultaneously, you can access both remotely (I will have to check this though)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I've been using and enjoying DroidWallet for a couple months now. It's pretty handy for keeping up with how much I have and what I've spent my money on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Geektox posted:

If you are looking for it to autofill forms and passwords, then realistically your only option is to use the Dolphin Browser+Plugin (which is actually quite nice and in my experience better than Chrome). The app has a built-in soft keyboard which you can use to autofill in anything, but it's buggy as all hell. The app also comes with it's own browser which is worthless. What the app does allow you to do is access and edit your LP Vault, copy usernames and passwords from your vault, generate secure passwords (which you can copy to clipboard). Keep in mind though that all of this stuff require a LP Premium sub.

I use LP extensively on my phone. It's kind of a pain...but that's just because multi-tasking in general isn't as easy on a phone as it is on a PC. They have several ways of filling in passwords, but what I do when I want to fill in a username/password:

1. Open up the LP app.
2. Type in my master password.
3. Search for the username/password.
4. Click on the site I'm wanting the username/pass for. LP adds two notifications to the notification bar...one for username and one for password. (This is how I have it configured)
5. Go back to the app that I want to login to.
6. Click the LP notification for the username which adds it to the clipboard.
7. Paste.
8. Repeat 6 and 7 for the password.

Yeah, its a lot of steps, but I just suck it up because I like to have secure passwords.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I use LP extensively on my phone. It's kind of a pain...but that's just because multi-tasking in general isn't as easy on a phone as it is on a PC. They have several ways of filling in passwords, but what I do when I want to fill in a username/password:

1. Open up the LP app.
4. Click on the site I'm wanting the username/pass for. LP adds two notifications to the notification bar...one for username and one for password. (This is how I have it configured)
7. Paste.

Yeah, its a lot of steps, but I just suck it up because I like to have secure passwords.

This is exactly how KeePassDroid does it too.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

1. Open up the LP app.
7. Paste.

Thank you for the details- exactly what I wanted!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I tried using GoodNews for my podcasts, but it didn't actually download them. I presume I missed a setting somewhere, but couldn't nail it down. What do I need to turn on so it will download them, rather than just seeing the new episodes?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I tried using GoodNews for my podcasts, but it didn't actually download them. I presume I missed a setting somewhere, but couldn't nail it down. What do I need to turn on so it will download them, rather than just seeing the new episodes?
Settings > Podcasts > Download after sync

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Thanks for the recommendations. Mint isn't USA only is it? Couldn't find it in the market, and I'm in SEA

Edit: yeah it's USA only. Droid wallet looks nice but I wish it had a daily log sort of thing, want to record everything down as it happens and I'm not sure it'll be very easy to do so in Droid wallet.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 15, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

dynodash posted:

I've been using DoggCatcher for over a year now. It's very configurable and does a good job keeping all my podcasts updated in the background. I believe you can configure it to only update while on wifi as well.

It's paid though.. and not the cheapest either.

On that same note, does anyone know of a way to sync podcasts between devices? I normally listen to podcasts on my tablet when I'm at home, but it'd be nice if there was an easy way to have both my phone and tablet have the same content available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I've been using DoggCatcher for over a year now. It's very configurable and does a good job keeping all my podcasts updated in the background. I believe you can configure it to only update while on wifi as well.

It's paid though.. and not the cheapest either.

On that same note, does anyone know of a way to sync podcasts between devices? I normally listen to podcasts on my tablet when I'm at home, but it'd be nice if there was an easy way to have both my phone and tablet have the same content available.
Obviously GoodNews would do this since the feeds are synced to Google Reader but you'd probably need to manage saved data or live with a large amount of cached content. There are options to automatically trim such things in the Settings so it would probably mostly be hands-off.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I LOVE GoodNews, and want to switch for it for podcasts, but it doesn't support variable-speed (Presto library) playback like the major podcast players.

Vote for this feature if you'd also like it: http://goodnews.uservoice.com/forums/149658-general/suggestions/2757342-support-variable-speed-playback-for-podcasts

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Doggcatcher is one Android app that I paid for without knowing what I was getting, and found that it is absolutely worth the money. It is awesome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine just mentioned woofi which reminded me to check with the alpha testers...any issues you'd like to report?

For me, this version seems to be way more reliable than the current market version, so I'm going to merge the current alpha branch into the release branch and do a new Play store version.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

LastInLine just mentioned woofi which reminded me to check with the alpha testers...any issues you'd like to report?

For me, this version seems to be way more reliable than the current market version, so I'm going to merge the current alpha branch into the release branch and do a new Play store version.

I seem to be having the issue with it timing out again when I can't get a GPS lock since I moved to CM10 but it's probably not a bug with the app.

On a different note, Pinterest is finally out for Android so tell your wives and girlfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
A couple goons recommended aCar for my maintenance tracking of my car.

However, i can't seem to find a way to change the intervals between maintenance needs. For example, it seems locked at every 3000 miles for an oil change. I'd like to change that to every 5000 miles. Is it possible for the free version? Thanks.

• Locked thread