Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that they didn't even clean up the drat translation is loving shameful. What the hell S-E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favourite thing is that while I'm running it in windowed mode, the bilinear filtering only works when the window doesn't have focus. In which case the game just hangs until it has focus again.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So I guess I'll continue to play my original copy on ePSXe. Other than the achievements, there doesn't seem to be a point in buying this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LoudLoudNoise posted:

This should not be a goddamned thing.

I was holding back already because Digital River's a bunch of incompetent fucks (as seen with SR:TT's launch) but Square can just eat poo poo and die if they think Always-Online is getting them anything but contempt. Stupidity like this just makes me look forward to the day SE goes under.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

So I guess I'll continue to play my original copy on ePSXe. Other than the achievements, there doesn't seem to be a point in buying this.

Why are the achievements even a point? They're not tied into any existing achievement system.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I had no idea Square was this desperate for some money. Glad I read this thread before impulse buying.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Or you could just buy the exact same thing on the PSN and at least be able to play it during an internet outage.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
It's still the PC's superior graphics, translation fixes, and mod-ability though. I'm annoyed by the always online thing, but whatever, if I get pissed off about it I'm sure someone's going to make an exe that skips that step :v:

vvvv Originally, yeah. And 8!

Winks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 14, 2012

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Wasn't this :airquote:New:airquote: version of FF7 supposed to also come out for Steam?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Holy Christ people actually bought this? Are you out of your minds? :psyduck:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Why not? It's 10 bucks, my original CDs are scratched to hell, and it's better than the PSN version.

By the way, you only have to log in once and then you can play offline. It just warns you that it can't sync your progress.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Winks posted:

Why not? It's 10 bucks, my original CDs are scratched to hell, and it's better than the PSN version.

By the way, you only have to log in once and then you can play offline. It just warns you that it can't sync your progress.

Oh. I didn't realise it was only 10 bucks. Can you save locally while offline?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paint dry posted:

Oh. I didn't realise it was only 10 bucks. Can you save locally while offline?

You can't. People have been reporting that the local save file is blank. So no, you can't effectively play offline.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

I just tried it, and nope apparently not! That's really dumb. They should save locally and just sync them, but I guess it only looks at the Cloud.

So sure, you can play offline, you just can't save/or load your game :suicide:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Winks posted:

I just tried it, and nope apparently not! That's really dumb. They should save locally and just sync them, but I guess it only looks at the Cloud.

So sure, you can play offline, you just can't save/or load your game :suicide:

Welp. I go back, therefore, to my original position: :psyduck:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cardboard Fox posted:

Woah woah woah I think someone is forgetting about the built in cheats menucharacter booster!

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TurnipFritter posted:

Woah woah woah I think someone is forgetting about the built in cheats menucharacter booster!

I love that because it's a cloud save you have to do that through the website. I have to log into my Square Enix account and ask a robot to hack my savefile for me in the approved way. There's no actual cheats menu at all.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why are the achievements even a point? They're not tied into any existing achievement system.

I guess not, but its the only "feature" you can say adds to the game. The rest are just....well, :effort: doesn't describe it.

Leovinus posted:

I love that because it's a cloud save you have to do that through the website. I have to log into my Square Enix account and ask a robot to hack my savefile for me in the approved way. There's no actual cheats menu at all.

Oh, wow. I thought in the least they would add these extras to the in game menu. I mean, at least the achievements are viewable in game right? Don't tell me you have to launch a third party app to view them.

So, gentlemen, how are you enjoying the Final Fantasy VII Remake you've all been asking for? :smug:

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
I unplugged my internet connection and I was still able to load my game. I think that it does save locally when you are offline.

My only complaints are that the controller support is a little iffy (nothing that Xpadder can't fix) and the music is from the old PC version instead of from the PSX version. If that bothers you, you should be able to track down the original PSX mp3s converted to .ogg from some of those FFVII modding sites and drop them into the music_ogg folder (I'm doing that right now).

Why is it that little problems like this never get sorted out? Don't they know that most people are using an Xbox360 controller? Or that people generally prefer the PSX soundtrack? I suppose fixing things like that would be impossible? Too much to ask?

I'd give this port a 6/10. Disappointing. It's the best looking version available. :P

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Fox posted:

Oh, wow. I thought in the least they would add these extras to the in game menu. I mean, at least the achievements are viewable in game right? Don't tell me you have to launch a third party app to view them.

They pop up as an overlay in-game. To view them you click "Achievements" in the game launcher, it's not an ingame menu option.

Dustin1986 posted:

Disappointing. It's the best looking version available. :P

The thing is, it isn't even that. If you emulate the PSX version you'll be able to configure something that looks pretty much identical, and apply whatever filters you want to it. There's no extra visual data in the PC version. And with an emulator you get a fast-forward button, which every JRPG should have.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I guess there's no reason to get this if I already own it on the PS1 as well as the PC version. Achievements would be neat if they were tied to XBLA or Steam or something.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
So, I bought it, gently caress, whatever.. And I cant get the fucker to work!

Apparently the internet connection I am using to submit this post isn't a working one.

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006

Leovinus posted:

The thing is, it isn't even that. If you emulate the PSX version you'll be able to configure something that looks pretty much identical, and apply whatever filters you want to it. There's no extra visual data in the PC version. And with an emulator you get a fast-forward button, which every JRPG should have.

The polygons are a little wiggly in PSX emulators. Just saying. You cannot buy a perfect version of FFVII for any amount of money. :(

I wish GOG.com was releasing this. they aren't perfect but at least they try!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Just get someone to rewrite the script, Square. drat. It isn't like they haven't remade or retranslated half of the old games from their first releases anyway. Give it the War of the Lions treatment and put it out on the Vita or 3DS or something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The achievement list is pretty funny.
Not "funny" like "Hey, the achievements in this game were really clever and well thought out and showed that the folks who came up with the list genuinely love the game and all its silly little details." It's "funny" in the "This is a product they are actually selling and people actually purchasing it" sense.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 15, 2012

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8160.0

If anyone is looking for improved music files, this looks very promising.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Dustin1986 posted:

The polygons are a little wiggly in PSX emulators. Just saying. You cannot buy a perfect version of FFVII for any amount of money. :(

I wish GOG.com was releasing this. they aren't perfect but at least they try!

thats if you do with internal high-resolution emulation. the numerical precision isn't there so you get the wiggle effect for trying to render something that only has so much internal resolution.

you don't get this effect if you go with the pSX emulator that tries to render games accurately instead of something that's nebulously higher fidelity.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 15, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So is it safe to assume that not much, if anything has changed under the hood from the original PC release? Like, existing mods should work more or less perfectly? How about fixing the minigame timing, do we know if that's been tinkered with?

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=22128993

I found a fix for the crappy quality PC port sound files in the new release. That link has the original PSX sound files in .ogg format. Just copy these files into the music_ogg folder and you're good to go!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Winks posted:

I'm annoyed by the always online thing, but whatever, if I get pissed off about it I'm sure someone's going to make an exe that skips that step :v:
Couldn't you just grab the one from an old PC disc?

(not that you'd need to buy this if you had one around)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I just started playing FF1+2: DoS since I never really played the originals for NES, and sweet making GBS threads Jesus, is the encounter rate this high in the original games too? Just walking from Cornelia to Matoya's cave to give her the crystal eye, I fought about 30 monster battles, all of which I was massively overleveled for yet I still had trouble running sometimes and I was constantly being ambushed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I just started playing FF1+2: DoS since I never really played the originals for NES, and sweet making GBS threads Jesus, is the encounter rate this high in the original games too? Just walking from Cornelia to Matoya's cave to give her the crystal eye, I fought about 30 monster battles, all of which I was massively overleveled for yet I still had trouble running sometimes and I was constantly being ambushed.

Yeah, it was just as bad, only the NES version was more harsh on you due to its slow combat, and you ended up wanting to hold onto a poo poo load of potions and antidotes for long journeys or dungeons. DoS, the difficulty is dialed down quite a bit.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Paying £8 is better than loving about with emulator settings if you just wanna get your FF7 on like old times.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Judging from whats been posted it seems like loving around with an emulator is preferable to loving with Digital River's download client.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Paying £8 is better than loving about with emulator settings if you just wanna get your FF7 on like old times.

Err, it's not anywhere near the hassle you make it out to be. You can google emulator settings for the game in a few seconds and have it running in a few minutes tops. Actually locating your FF7 PSX discs (unless you archived a copy of it on a hard drive) probably takes longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's really some inexcusable laziness involved here. No new translation, the ridiculous save issues, boring achievements... it's the absolutely most bare-minimum of efforts.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Actually locating your FF7 PSX discs (unless you archived a copy of it on a hard drive) probably takes longer.

All the FF7 talk got me to try this. Turns out I'm missing disc 1.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Actually locating your FF7 PSX discs (unless you archived a copy of it on a hard drive) probably takes longer.
They're right on my game shelf, because I found a brand new copy for cheap only 2 or 3 years ago. As owner of a PS2 I never had any problems with emulator settings either. Getting it to run on my PSP, now that was a bit more of a challenge. Totally worth it since on the smaller screen the low-res backgrounds actually still look pretty drat good.

If there's one thing I'd want changed in a proper remake, it'd be a way to switch characters on the fly in battle, like in FFX. That way you could give every character their own individual set of materia, and actually use all of them, and the semifinal battle would probably become a lot more interesting if you reworked it to make the three group split mandatory. And I'd probably also rework the last dungeon so you'd have to explore it with three separate parties like in FFVI. It's halfway there anyway, there's a split and three visually distinct areas and everything.

Now I'm starting to wonder if that couldn't have been an original plan for that dungeon they ended up scrapping...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's still possible to import custom models/textures into FF7 PC, so they really didn't change much at all. I'll probably spend tonight integrating the phoenix revival patch or whatever it's called and enjoy myself.