Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

This is a dumb question coming from anyone older than seven, but as much as I love pho, I have yet to master actually eating it. When I had some at a restaurant the other day, I asked the waitress for a spoon, she brought me a fork, and I had to ask for a spoon again. So there's the attempt at eating with a spoon, winding the noodles around the fork spaghetti-style, trying to sip from a bowl bigger then my head, and finally managed to deposit wound up noodles in the spoon along with a bowl of broth and start eating that way, by which time my boyfriend had been done with his curry for ten minutes and I'd barely made a dent. And then there's the accessories. Do you drop the whole branch of basil into the soup and let it steep while you're eating, sprinkle leaves in and sip them up with the other ingredients. Do you dip the beansprouts and eat them or let them float? Help, eating is too complicated for me. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I've been watching a lot of non-Asians eat noodle soup and it can be a pretty messy spectacle. This is what I do: Tear off the basil leaves before adding to the soup. I rip them into smaller pieces. Add the bean sprouts to the soup, mix it into the hot broth and they will soften a little bit. I also add a slice or two of jalapeno and a squirt of lime. Squeeze in some sriracha and hoisin. Mix it all up. Chopsticks in main hand, spoon in off hand. Sometimes I build little bits on the spoon: a bit of twirled up noodle, a piece of meat, a bit of basil, a bit of soup. Other times I eat the noodles straight. You will need to lean close to the bowl so you don't splash broth all around. Use the soup soon to drink the soup until there's not enough to spoon. Then you pick it up, bring it to your face, and tilt back. Most importantly don't feel like you're doing it wrong or adding the wrong thing in the wrong order. If it tastes good to you then you're doing it right. It's weird you had to ask for a spoon though. I've never had pho where there wasn't a caddy of spoons and chopsticks and sauces on the table.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Speaking of, to my fellow current and former So.Cal. goons, is there anywhere that you guys would suggest for pho in the Inland Empire? Little Walk Away has been asking to try it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

^^^ I like Pho Vinam in University Village near UCR. Fiancee works at LLUMC and there's an alright place nearby but I forget what it's called.

Pester posted:

This is a dumb question coming from anyone older than seven, but as much as I love pho, I have yet to master actually eating it. When I had some at a restaurant the other day, I asked the waitress for a spoon, she brought me a fork, and I had to ask for a spoon again. So there's the attempt at eating with a spoon, winding the noodles around the fork spaghetti-style, trying to sip from a bowl bigger then my head, and finally managed to deposit wound up noodles in the spoon along with a bowl of broth and start eating that way, by which time my boyfriend had been done with his curry for ten minutes and I'd barely made a dent. And then there's the accessories. Do you drop the whole branch of basil into the soup and let it steep while you're eating, sprinkle leaves in and sip them up with the other ingredients. Do you dip the beansprouts and eat them or let them float? Help, eating is too complicated for me. :downs:

My general pho plan of attack goes:

Arrive at restaurant, sit. Don't even look at menu. Ask for Pho Dac Biet with Nuoc Beo.

Garnishes will arrive first. Tear off all basil leaves from the stalk. Big leaves tear into smaller pieces, smaller leaves leave whole, if there are flower buds, be sure to separate them from the stalk. Tear culantro into manageable pieces. Prepare a saucer of hoisin and sriracha mixture. I know some people like to add the hoisin and sriracha straight to the soup. I don't, I like the flavor of the broth by itself and I use the sauces for dipping the meats into.

When pho arrives, find a suitibly deep side of the bowl and place all of the bean sprouts. They will need to be heated through and need a fairly deep part of the bowl to do it. On the opposite corner, place desired amount of chile peppers and the herbs. Stick chopsticks into the mass of noodles underneath and agitate to loosen. It's important to loosen them up because the longer they sit the more clumped they will be. Add a few spoonfuls of nuoc beo (the skimmed beef fat, seasoned with scallions) and stir to mix the noodles with the sprouts and all the other garnishes. Then its just shoveling into the mouth with chopsticks. As charmmi said, it's pretty messy looking, and compared to western styles of eating noodles, looks kind of rude, but it's not. I do the face close to the surface of the soup then with chopsticks place noodles in mouth thing. Once a wad of noodles is in the mouth the ends need to follow. This is done with a rapid succession of rhythmic head bobbing and synchronized chopstick noodle shoveling combined with slurping for about 3-4 cycles, or enough to get whatever clump of noodles you picked with the chopsticks into the mouth. Slurping is important. It is important for pretty much all asian noodle soups.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

^^^ This man knows how to noogle.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Thanks, Grav.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
On a non-noodly subject, I am in need of a UK or Canadian goon to lend a hand with a care package. Winter will be here soon and I am out of Bovril, and Amazon and other online retailers have been unhelpful and/or unlucky lately. PM me please and we can talk price/reciprocated produce etc.

I've tried writing my congressman to lift whatever is stopping Unilever from selling it here but so for I've had no luck on that hand either.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Have you tried signing up for an amazon.co.uk account and then having it shipped here?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Walk Away posted:

Have you tried signing up for an amazon.co.uk account and then having it shipped here?

:stare: This is a thing to try.

In the meantime Ricola clear out your PM box please.

Holy crap it worked why have I not tried this before? They even convert the currency for you.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 14, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wait no cancel your order and buy this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Biosciences-BEEF-EXTRACT-2Kg/dp/B008JF64HQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1344974281&sr=8-19&keywords=beef+extract

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That is not delicious beef tea though.

Or is it what am I looking at anyway?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bovril calls itself "beef extract" so I assume that I just linked to 2kg of purestrain bovril

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Gonna mainline cow itt.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Bovril calls itself "beef extract" so I assume that I just linked to 2kg of purestrain bovril

Cue Wiggles looking to buy hypodermic needles. I'm glad that worked for you though.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Countdown to some confused dude in TCC rubbing steaks on his eyes starts...now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yo Wiggles, if Amazon doesn't work I'll hook you up with some primo beefy goodness.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
drat. And I just kicked horse.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Now eating pho. The urge was too strong. Thanks a lot.

Not really complaining. Pho owns.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
It's strange, I had this dream where Wiggles used to be a vegetarian.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Holy crap it worked why have I not tried this before? They even convert the currency for you.
Yeah, if you have an account with amazon at all, you've got an account for every flavour of amazon. Or at least all of the ones I've tried; I semi-regularly place orders with amazon.co.uk and amazon.fr and have never had any problems.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are some things that are very annoyingly region-restricted however. You can't buy any of the borosilicate Pyrexes from Amazon UK and have them shipped to the US.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Wikipedia on Bovril:

quote:

Bovril can be made into a drink by diluting with hot water, or less commonly with milk.
Beef extract in milk drink? What's wrong with Britain? From This paper from the 30's. I love the advertisement above that on the top of the page: eastern secret hair removal formula for women. I bet it's just radiation.

On another note, are you saying Pyrex dishes come in borosilicate in the UK? My housemate accidentally turned on a burner underneath a Pyrex dish on the stove, and the thing literally exploded into hundreds of pieces. There were no piece smaller than a walnut, it was a pretty spectacular failure. I was facing away from the dish (thankfully), I heard a big explosion and all I could think was "where the hell did all this ice come from?". I bet even the old kind would have blown up, but maybe less spectacularly.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I just encountered this:

Ash Lael posted:

Well done steak is the best. Why even sear it if you prefer raw meat to cooked?

The difference between a good and a bad well done is huge, though.

in the Hell's Kitchen thread in TVIV.

Discuss.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
It always amuses me that cooking shows seem to be popular with a lot of people who don't know anything about or even like well made food.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Some random dude is abusing other random dudes, while doing it in an accent more fitting in a chips shop in the British isles...

What's not to love?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

On another note, are you saying Pyrex dishes come in borosilicate in the UK? My housemate accidentally turned on a burner underneath a Pyrex dish on the stove, and the thing literally exploded into hundreds of pieces. There were no piece smaller than a walnut, it was a pretty spectacular failure. I was facing away from the dish (thankfully), I heard a big explosion and all I could think was "where the hell did all this ice come from?". I bet even the old kind would have blown up, but maybe less spectacularly.

Yes, Pyrex in the UK is borosilicate (or supposed to be, at least). The way your friend's Pyrex shattered makes it sound like it was made of tempered glass instead of borosilicate. Tempered glass explodes into zillions of pieces, borosilicate will break into large pieces.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 15, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

oTHi posted:

I just encountered this:

Discuss.

not worth breath discussing

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
sure, I'd love to gnaw at a tough piece of nearly leathery meat. Who doesn't go nuts for that? But wait! Let me pour some ketchup on it. Yes, The Perfect Steak

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

An observer posted:

sure, I'd love to gnaw at a tough piece of nearly leathery meat. Who doesn't go nuts for that? But wait! Let me pour some ketchup on it. Yes, The Perfect Steak

How'd you get my family's secret recipe?

Dane posted:

It's strange, I had this dream where Wiggles used to be a vegetarian.

You're not alone, though for me it was some confused "fact". I'm thinking I had him mixed up with another poster.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oTHi posted:

I just encountered this:

Discuss.
How to cook a steak is approximately the least interesting subject in cooking. At least from a technical perspective. I guess it's kinda interesting how het up people get about it, on all sides of the issue.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

You're not alone, though for me it was some confused "fact". I'm thinking I had him mixed up with another poster.

Unless I'm going senile, I remember when Wiggles switched back to eating meat a long time ago. He definitely used to be vegetarian.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's correct. He realized that by eating locally sourced, ethically produced meat he could eat meat and still feel morally superior. It was a win-win.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

And so I started raising pigs and sheep and chickens.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Name 'em, pat 'em, kell 'em, eat 'em.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

Name 'em, pat 'em, kell 'em, eat 'em.

That's always been my dating strategy. :banjo:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And so I started raising pigs and sheep and chickens.

I do respect the hell out of that. I love meat, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't kill it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Back to Afghanistan for a couple weeks this friday. Was fairly relaxed about it until the 10K cash advance I had strapped to my belly got soaked in a ridiculous NY downpour and I am drying them out in a laundry bag/fan apparatus like some kind of drug dealer.

Gonna eat all the goat and eggs once I get back. Best combo ever.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do respect the hell out of that. I love meat, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't kill it.

Not Hungry Enough.

This will always be funny to me: when Wig jumped off the tempeh train he posted a huge post about it, I think it started with something along with "When I first became a vegan" or at least something to the effect, and my first thought was "ah, he's gonna eat meat again." Nobody but a vegan would spend that much time justifying to others what they put in their gullets.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

Back to Afghanistan for a couple weeks this friday. Was fairly relaxed about it until the 10K cash advance I had strapped to my belly got soaked in a ridiculous NY downpour and I am drying them out in a laundry bag/fan apparatus like some kind of drug dealer.

Best believe there will be crazy pig grilling when you come back to our fair boroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Stupid question (on english words): When someone is deliberately overestimating his need in a budget, to play a budgetting game - does that have a word in english (and not overestimating)..

Websters failed me!