Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

I meant weapon mods. Shredder + Barrel? Smart Choke + Shredder? Is it one of those guns that just doesn't feel like it is badass until it's a higher level?

Smart choke + shredder unless using AP rounds in which case smart choke + barrel. The gun is effective at all levels. Additional consumables besides AP rounds that will help you include shotgun rail amps and recoil reducers in the armor slot. It's even more effective when your class has +weapon accuracy skills, a la the Geth classes with hunter mode, N7 Destroyer, and Turian with accuracy marksman spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Diplomaticus posted:

I meant weapon mods. Shredder + Barrel? Smart Choke + Shredder? Is it one of those guns that just doesn't feel like it is badass until it's a higher level?
It's borderline useless unless you are absurdly close. Like Vorcha Flamethrower / Reegar close. If you're further than that, you're better off using harsh language.

Destroyer's Devastator Mode, Geth Hunter Mode, and Turian Marksman make it useful at reasonable ranges.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hyperactive posted:

Boohoo, your Eagle II got you down?

Eagle IV mother fucker.

Eagle VI. loving Bioware.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

I refuse to log on because I know this is my fate.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Demolisher's grenades count as tech powers, right?

Just curious because I made a build with all bonuses to damage, shields on arc and armour on homing, with a pylon that refills grenades as fast as possible, and slapped an Engineer gear IV on (+17.5% damage to tech powers) and apart from atlases, primes and banshees it seemed like everything on gold was dying before it walked five feet from where it spawned. Just want to check I'm not imagining that the gear was making a difference, or if the Demolisher is just that awesome.

I practically soloed wave five on gold in Rio, against Reapers, when my team (who insisted on trying to camp the middle office bit) wiped and I hung out in the boxes with my pylon, next to an ammo box, and just spammed grenades until everything was dead. I felt like some sort of invincible grenadier bastard man.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

President Anime 2008 posted:

The Demolisher's grenades count as tech powers, right?

Just curious because I made a build with all bonuses to damage, shields on arc and armour on homing, with a pylon that refills grenades as fast as possible, and slapped an Engineer gear IV on (+17.5% damage to tech powers) and apart from atlases, primes and banshees it seemed like everything on gold was dying before it walked five feet from where it spawned. Just want to check I'm not imagining that the gear was making a difference, or if the Demolisher is just that awesome.

I practically soloed wave five on gold in Rio, against Reapers, when my team (who insisted on trying to camp the middle office bit) wiped and I hung out in the boxes with my pylon, next to an ammo box, and just spammed grenades until everything was dead. I felt like some sort of invincible grenadier bastard man.

Yeah (especially you use the DOT evolution on at least the Arc Grenade), you were constantly super Tech Bursting everything over and over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Geth infiltrator is a lot of fun but I wish I would've got it like a month ago because instead of sneaking up and killing a group of enemies usually what happens is an N7 character turns the corner and kills them all before I get into melee range. I'm not complaining too much though, because bronze matches almost are always under 20 minutes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

I got an N7 Valiant IV from one of the Packs yesterday. I have no idea if that gun is good or not, I've never used it.
I just died a little inside. I have a Valiant I and it still outstrips half my manifest. If some sort of tf2-style trading thing ever happened, I would totally give you all those classes for a Valiant IV and be massively ripping you off.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still think the Valiant is mostly just a trash-killer and that just isn't all that useful from Gold upwards. Below Gold who cares, there's about five other ways to be an unstoppable murder train on Silver that don't involve getting lucky with the Commendation lottery. It's still by far the best sniper rifle, don't get me wrong, but after the infiltrator nerf sniper rifles just aren't a top-tier weapon class anymore (which is a pity, because I hate to be all :goonsay: but sniping effectively requires a decent amount of skill, which should be rewarded accordingly, as opposed to just pointing a Piranha in vaguely the right direction and mashing the trigger like a retard)

anyway yeah I just played a Silver game as a Destroyer where I literally scored bottom because I couldn't reach enemy spawns fast enough. i make a beeline to everyone else's position and everything is already dead (vorcha and shadows are a bit more mobile than i am). what is this i don't even

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'd like them to give the Widow and Javelin massive bonuses to armor, something on the order of the 300% that the Reegar and Acolyte get against shields. That would give single-shot snipers a niche as boss-killers without requiring a total redo of the shield gate mechanic.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rudoku posted:

Yeah (especially you use the DOT evolution on at least the Arc Grenade), you were constantly super Tech Bursting everything over and over.
Grenades don't count towards tech kill medals, so are you sure? I know that I do plenty of tech bursts, but I'm not sure if any gear is boosting that damage.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I believe homing grenade kills will count towards the tech kill medals, but arc grenades do not.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Infinite Karma posted:

Grenades don't count towards tech kill medals, so are you sure? I know that I do plenty of tech bursts, but I'm not sure if any gear is boosting that damage.
Proximity Mines don't count toward Tech Kill medals either, but they're boosted by passives and gear.

I think it's a weird conflict in the way the game reads damage that originates from the character/powers vs. damage that originates from an object, even though every power with a travel time is, in its way, an object separate from the character. But, y'know, Bioware.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Infinite Karma posted:

I believe grenades count as powers but do not count as tech damage. Really though if you are taking any gear but the grenade capacity you are crazy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Synonamess Botch posted:

I believe grenades count as powers but do not count as tech damage. Really though if you are taking any gear but the grenade capacity you are crazy.
Warfighter/Shock Trooper seem pretty good as well, especially since I only have Grenade Capacity II but have Warfighter IV, and more damage from my don't-care-about-cooldowns guns is rather nice. How often can you really maintain a stockpile of more than 7 (5 class capacity + 2 from gear)?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

So I've recently unlocked the Talon, and I've seen it mentioned many times that it's the best gun, but I think I missed the reasoning. After using it for a while, I'm not convinced in a world where the pirahna, saber, and carnifex. What makes this gun so good?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Reacean posted:

So I've recently unlocked the Talon, and I've seen it mentioned many times that it's the best gun, but I think I missed the reasoning. After using it for a while, I'm not convinced in a world where the pirahna, saber, and carnifex. What makes this gun so good?
Put a scope on it and enjoy a shotgun with almost no spread.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Paracelsus posted:

Warfighter/Shock Trooper seem pretty good as well, especially since I only have Grenade Capacity II but have Warfighter IV, and more damage from my don't-care-about-cooldowns guns is rather nice. How often can you really maintain a stockpile of more than 7 (5 class capacity + 2 from gear)?

Thermal Clips refill to your gear augmented capacity, IIRC. That's a poo poo ton of grenades that you don't even have to get out of cover for, if you've got the thermal clip capacity maxed out.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Reacean posted:

It's a pocket sniper shotgun. A scope isn't necessary, but a scoped Talon used with a character that has accuracy bonuses is stupidly accurate. It also does 150% damage to shields and barriers.

Mr Dog posted:

I still think the Valiant is mostly just a trash-killer and that just isn't all that useful from Gold upwards. Below Gold who cares, there's about five other ways to be an unstoppable murder train on Silver that don't involve getting lucky with the Commendation lottery. It's still by far the best sniper rifle, don't get me wrong, but after the infiltrator nerf sniper rifles just aren't a top-tier weapon class anymore (which is a pity, because I hate to be all :goonsay: but sniping effectively requires a decent amount of skill, which should be rewarded accordingly, as opposed to just pointing a Piranha in vaguely the right direction and mashing the trigger like a retard)

It's still possible to do well with a Black Widow Infiltrator on Gold; it's just inefficient compared to the Claymore or Piranha and requires ridiculous reflexes when you get stuck with Glacier as your random map.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Am I the only person that still likes the GPS? I especially love it on a Destroyer because with the ROF increase it staggers enemies nonstop.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

DatonKallandor posted:

Hurricane II :smug:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Reacean posted:

I think Lagomorphic said he would do a full sperg-dump on it, but the weapon it's most directly comparable to is the eviscerator shotgun, which is a pretty okay shotgun. The talon is similar but better in every respect: more damaging, more accurate, faster firing, lighter, and has 4 shots instead of 3. Compared to the other pistols, its amazing. The only real problem is that it's an ultra-rare and consequently hard to level, but in terms of its overall characteristics it's one of the best guns there is.

E:
Didn't know about the bonus damage to shields and barriers... even better than I thought.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

Killing trash is important because it frees up other guys to concentrate on the Atlases and Brutes and whatnot without being overrun.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have yet to taste the sweet, sweet honey of Talon-y goodness, but I do have a Hurricane III. Overall I've had a pretty even distribution of cards for the promotional guns, as you can see by my manifest. Should I focus on getting Gold's or Silver's (i.e. PSPs or Veterans)? I'm kind of torn, because on the one hand I want to at least max out my Uncommon weapons, but on the other hand I want my rare gears to get upgraded. Decisions, decisions...

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Synonamess Botch posted:

Tried this with my Grenades IV, but since I get seven naturally and I never even get close to using ELEVEN GRENADES before needing more, I switched to Stronghold IV because I put zero points into fitness, due to planning on hugging cover all the time with my pylon anyway.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Follow up question then (I'm still not convinced, but the bit about bonus to shields and barriers betters my opinion): I'd been using it on my demolisher just messing around, but I think it doesn't fit the niche that class needs as a second gun. My primary is a Saber I, and I'd been using a Pirahna I as my secondary but somehow it feels off. Given that weight and ammo are not an issue, and I use Arc Grenades for Shields/Barriers, what would be a good second gun?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Crusader III :unsmith:

I mean, it's no Eagle, but ... close, I guess.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I have yet to taste the sweet, sweet honey of Talon-y goodness, but I do have a Hurricane III. Overall I've had a pretty even distribution of cards for the promotional guns, as you can see by my manifest. Should I focus on getting Gold's or Silver's (i.e. PSPs or Veterans)? I'm kind of torn, because on the one hand I want to at least max out my Uncommon weapons, but on the other hand I want my rare gears to get upgraded. Decisions, decisions...
Apparently "maxing out Uncommons" includes maxing out the Uncommon consumables as well. :saddowns:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My problem with some of the snipers I've tried is that the zoom is just too goddamn strong, so trying to aim at moving targets that aren't half the goddamn map away is loving difficult for me. You'd think in the future they'd have scopes with different zoom levels, but noooo. would also help a lot if the mouse sensitivity was lower when you're zoomed in.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure I'd do pretty well with things like the Viper and Incisor if they just halved the drat magnification of their scopes. Also if the Incisor's burst wasn't so retardedly slow. It's loving stupid how the flavor text actually says it fires three rounds so quickly it sounds like one gunshot, but then in-game it just goes pew-pew-pew. Piece of poo poo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Doc Dee posted:

Apparently "maxing out Uncommons" includes maxing out the Uncommon consumables as well. :saddowns:

I don't wanna! :colbert:

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6KP2mUANg

Pack it up boys. We're done here.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Reacean posted:

Follow up question then (I'm still not convinced, but the bit about bonus to shields and barriers betters my opinion): I'd been using it on my demolisher just messing around, but I think it doesn't fit the niche that class needs as a second gun. My primary is a Saber I, and I'd been using a Pirahna I as my secondary but somehow it feels off. Given that weight and ammo are not an issue, and I use Arc Grenades for Shields/Barriers, what would be a good second gun?

I prefer running with a Piranha and a Valiant - the Valiant fires and reloads so much faster than a Saber even if the single shot is not as powerful.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Nordick posted:

Also if the Incisor's burst wasn't so retardedly slow. It's loving stupid how the flavor text actually says it fires three rounds so quickly it sounds like one gunshot, but then in-game it just goes pew-pew-pew. Piece of poo poo.

Ah yes, :turianass:lore consistency:turianass:, we have dismissed that claim.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Reacean posted:

I use a Talon as a backup on my Demolisher, only because the Harrier doesn't work that well with things IN YOUR FACE. Rarely end up using it anyway.

I'm considering switching to a Disciple, because it staggers, and it's hella light, which is nice for being able to change pylon locations quickly.

May even drop it altogether, since throwing Arc Grenades at your feet seems to work too.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Nordick posted:

My problem with some of the snipers I've tried is that the zoom is just too goddamn strong, so trying to aim at moving targets that aren't half the goddamn map away is loving difficult for me. You'd think in the future they'd have scopes with different zoom levels, but noooo. would also help a lot if the mouse sensitivity was lower when you're zoomed in.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure I'd do pretty well with things like the Viper and Incisor if they just halved the drat magnification of their scopes. Also if the Incisor's burst wasn't so retardedly slow. It's loving stupid how the flavor text actually says it fires three rounds so quickly it sounds like one gunshot, but then in-game it just goes pew-pew-pew. Piece of poo poo.

Hope for an Indra, or put a scope on a Mattock or Saber. Pretty much the same thing. Or maybe even use the Raptor, I forgot if that one had the full sniper zoom or not.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Reacean posted:

I run a harrier II and a piranha X. There is no better character for the harrier IMO because its only weakness, ammo, is totally negated. but yeah piranha is definitely my go-to secondary.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Doc Dee posted:

Hope for an Indra, or put a scope on a Mattock or Saber. Pretty much the same thing. Or maybe even use the Raptor, I forgot if that one had the full sniper zoom or not.
Yeah I have an Indra, and did pretty well with it, no problem there. And I do have some characters with a scoped Mattock, I think. Only used the Sabre on my Destroyer so far, with a scope even, and it worked pretty well. Might try it on my Turian soldier or GethInf as well. It's just that I really miss that AR extended barrel mod, while I do have the damage mod for sniper rifles.
I just love the feel of the Viper apart from the stupid zoom and would really like to use that gun.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

jpmeyer posted:

Am I the only person that still likes the GPS? I especially love it on a Destroyer because with the ROF increase it staggers enemies nonstop.

No, you're not the only one. That thing will never ever come off my getheng, even though it gives me a substantial cooldown hit.

I know this thing is an hour long, but everyone should at least watch wave 10 (around the 58 minute mark). Why? Because it's a hack. Especially people who want to solo should watch him repeatedly leaving the hack when it got too hot, to draw enemies away. Even with all the time he spends away from the hack, he still gets it done with almost a minute to spare, and he only used two missiles (neither of which really seemed to help, honestly). Never be afraid to take some of that 5 minutes it gives you when you need to.

Doc Dee posted:

Yeah, the Raptor also has the 2x scope instead of 4x.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Just unlocked the Demolisher (finally!) and have some questions.

I was thinking about this build: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMID@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

I'm a bit worried that it's way too squishy for Gold/Platinum. Would 4 levels of fitness be a better option here, or is the extra grenade damage too good to pass up?

Also, I only have the Grenade Capacity gear at level 2, which doesn't give me as many grenades as I'd like. Is this still viable, or the Demolisher as gear-dependent as it seems?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its totally viable. Just remember that your grenades are NOT there to burst down big bosses. They're there to thin out herds and alternate between the two grenade types for some extra techbursty goodness while you shoot things. If you keep your grenade output to one every 5 or 6 seconds unless its an emergency, you'll pretty much never run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Its totally viable. Just remember that your grenades are NOT there to burst down big bosses. They're there to thin out herds and alternate between the two grenade types for some extra techbursty goodness while you shoot things. If you keep your grenade output to one every 5 or 6 seconds unless its an emergency, you'll pretty much never run out.

THIS.

Don't forget to keep shooting while you're alternating grenade types on bosses, either. Aside from Tech Bursting your Arc Grenades, the Homing Grenades weaken armor as well.

Harrier's pretty awesome for the shooting part too, because you should pretty much never run out of ammo as long as you got that pylon up your butt.

• Locked thread