Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not to try to get back to trannychat, but I finally uploaded the pictures of the failure I mentioned yesterday. 01 4Runner, failed cooler. Came in saying his car was overheating, missing coolant, and driving like poo poo.

Found the coolant :haw:

Flushed it with over 30qts with our machine and it was still cominng out like strawberry shake. The dipstick seemed to indicate it had about 4 qts of coolant in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Not to try to get back to trannychat, but I finally uploaded the pictures of the failure I mentioned yesterday. 01 4Runner, failed cooler. Came in saying his car was overheating, missing coolant, and driving like poo poo.

Found the coolant :haw:

Flushed it with over 30qts with our machine and it was still cominng out like strawberry shake. The dipstick seemed to indicate it had about 4 qts of coolant in it.

Seriously? You have raspberry milkshake in your shop right now too? This just showed up at my house on the back of a tow truck:

99 4Runner. Good friend down the street. I just cleaned things off and hosed it down. Now I'm too drunk to make up a proper parts list (his fault).

Domani, domani.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Hey, at least it looks like it should smell nice...

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

Jeremy Foley's car had a pretty horrible mechanical failure during Pike's Peak hillclimb over the weekend, but the safety systems were pretty miraculously awesome: he walked away practically unhurt, and his co-driver Yuri only suffered a dislocated shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUrEPPABbY

There are photos from that crash now, the B pillar of the car hit the passengers seat hard enough to rip it free from two of the seat bolts which is also what dislocated the guys shoulder. :stare:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

From a Ducati Monster 1k (not mine). :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
not so horrible but caused a lot of headache for my buddy's bronco:

brand new starter blew as soon as he tried it.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
That moment when a hydraulic failure happens when you're trying to fix a mechanical failure:

Luckily the lift was just barely off the ground when the hose popped, and that it did so under the shield instead of into the open air.
It turns out that whomever installed this lift undercut the hose just enough to have to be pulled taut between both the rack and pump unit, which are just over 21 feet apart. When I unbolted the pump unit from the floor, the tension pulled it away from the wall at least 4-5 inches. :ughh:

A proper replacement hose costs drat near $200 and has to be custom made. :smith:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Root Bear posted:

That moment when a hydraulic failure happens when you're trying to fix a mechanical failure:

Luckily the lift was just barely off the ground when the hose popped, and that it did so under the shield instead of into the open air.
It turns out that whomever installed this lift undercut the hose just enough to have to be pulled taut between both the rack and pump unit, which are just over 21 feet apart. When I unbolted the pump unit from the floor, the tension pulled it away from the wall at least 4-5 inches. :ughh:

A proper replacement hose costs drat near $200 and has to be custom made. :smith:

Ouch. At least it didnt spray over a customer's car. And at least your lifts get maintained.
I'm leaving a shop that has broken safties, the owner was so brazen as to say it worked when i called him on it one day.
And today, my philipino co-worker hung a hand written sign that says "LEAK FLUID" on our 4 post exhaust rack. The shaft seal is leaking. It wont be fixed, im sure.

I'm not sure if ill be calling OSHA when i leave. I like the people who work there, its just the owner who is a lying penny pinching SOB.

Also had one of those worn through to the cooling veins rotors come in this week. I saved it to hang in my shop someday.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Raw_Beef posted:

I'm not sure if ill be calling OSHA when i leave. I like the people who work there, its just the owner who is a lying penny pinching SOB.

This is the exact reason you should report it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, report that poo poo as soon as possible, before someone gets hurt due to the owner's penny pinching.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother got a nasty wound & narrowly escaped severe tendon damage because of his boss not wanting to pay for repairs to machine guards, he had exactly the same reaction - "I like the guys that work there so I won't report it"

Wtf?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sofullofhate posted:

From a Ducati Monster 1k (not mine). :(

Someone ignored their belt change interval.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

My brother got a nasty wound & narrowly escaped severe tendon damage because of his boss not wanting to pay for repairs to machine guards, he had exactly the same reaction - "I like the guys that work there so I won't report it"

Wtf?

I think the reasoning behind that is if the shop isn't doing well (hence the penny-pinching) getting a government agency to come in and fine you over safety violations could very well bankrupt the company and put his friends out of a job.

Something similar happened with a friend of mine who called in a payroll audit on the company he worked for (contractors, electricians mostly). Company was so bad on the books it had to pay out each employee for missed O/T and other things. To do so the owner had to sell most the company vans and heavy equipment which pretty much ended the company.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

grover posted:

Jeremy Foley's car had a pretty horrible mechanical failure during Pike's Peak hillclimb over the weekend, but the safety systems were pretty miraculously awesome: he walked away practically unhurt, and his co-driver Yuri only suffered a dislocated shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUrEPPABbY

Actually the safety systems were poo poo.

Road race style cage on a rally, no window nets, no right side net, no tie-ins with the factory metal, extra bends in the NASCAR bars, no gusseting on the joints. I also like the "containment seat for me, regular seat for you," Especially since both were wearing a HANS and to top it all off it looks like the harness straps on the driver go way down to meet the harness bar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Willfrey posted:

I think the reasoning behind that is if the shop isn't doing well (hence the penny-pinching) getting a government agency to come in and fine you over safety violations could very well bankrupt the company and put his friends out of a job.

As someone without a job, I'd like to take this opportunity to express my belief that unemployment is far superior to being dead or maimed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Pretty much that. Also, any company that's at that point is circling the drain already, making it a question of when, not if, it'll fold.

Especially the payroll story: which is worse?
a) Government steps in and gets you paid your back wages and OT and you go find a new job, or
b) A couple months later you find out you've worked the last month for no pay because the company's bankrupt or the owner did a runner, then you go find a new job plus you're a month behind on everything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not too horrible, but a common kind of mechanical failure for those of us enjoying road salt every winter.

And of course while replacing one I find out that the other one (which was fine when I ordered the one replacement part a few weeks ago) has now failed in the exact same way.

I now feel stupid for not just ordering the pair when I did the first one, because the shipping is seriously more than the actual part (and the drat company's 15 miles away, they just don't offer local pickup for some reason).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Someone ignored their belt change interval.
And didn't acoustically tension the belts to 100hz like the manual says.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, report that poo poo as soon as possible, before someone gets hurt due to the owner's penny pinching.

If you like them, you warn them first and give them a chance to jump. OSHA is a nightmare and if your boss understands this then that lift will be repaired the next day.

And a leaky cyl isn't panic mode, it's the safety devices that are scary. Even if that seal blows out the lift shouldn't fall more than an inch or two if the safety stuff is in order.

Wiglaf fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 16, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

wolrah posted:

Not too horrible, but a common kind of mechanical failure for those of us enjoying road salt every winter.

And of course while replacing one I find out that the other one (which was fine when I ordered the one replacement part a few weeks ago) has now failed in the exact same way.

I now feel stupid for not just ordering the pair when I did the first one, because the shipping is seriously more than the actual part (and the drat company's 15 miles away, they just don't offer local pickup for some reason).

I've been fixing front ends in the Chicago burbs for over 12 years now. I've replaced way more of these than an any mortal should have to. Sometimes more than once a year on the same vehicle if the customer decides to go with "economy" brand parts, and/or somebody installed them wrong to begin with.

I hate them so much :argh:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 16, 2012

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I've already given my notice of leaving, partly because i refuse to work for this kind of operation on a long term. I feel reporting it now lies on those who will continue to be working with the bad lifts. If i was going to stay id probably warn the manager who could warn the owner. Though if you havent made a call to OSHA, how can you prove a relatiatory firing? I half expect that kind of thing from an owner who tells me to my face it works fine, then makes a theatrical show of looking at the broken part and scribbling notes like hes going to order a part. A month ago. No part has arrived yet.

The others are aware the of the lift with the saftey busted on one side, The leaky seal is on a different lift. I dont think anyone has maintained this shop in a decade.
At a different shop, same franchise, i reported a malfunctioning saftey at a saftey meeting and was told to "go ahead and fix it".
Am i wrong in feeling that im not trained and or qualified/responsible for fixing the lifts? (yeah i could probably do it, but its not my job)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
What company do you work for so I know to never apply for a technician job there? I'd have left by now and called OSHA as I was walking out the door.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You said you like the guys that work there? Then would you rather they potentially suffer financially or physically? (Potentially being landed with thousands of dollars of medical bills they can't afford to pay because they can't work anymore?)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can someone explain what's happening here

http://i.minus.com/iby0ClqcLmwp9T.gif

I can't see anything connected to the tyre and it looks like the guy barely touches the it and it explodes. It doesn't look like the air is coming from the valve, rather the sidewall. Is he stabbing it? If so, I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for him.

EDIT - changed image to a link because I didn't realise the idiot stabbed himself in the arm and bled all over the ground.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 16, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like he has something in his hand that gets knocked off and falls down the steps.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't see anything connected to the tyre and it looks like the guy barely touches the it and it explodes. It doesn't look like the air is coming from the valve, rather the sidewall. Is he stabbing it? If so, I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for him.

It looks like he's either hitting it with an ice pick to puncture it.
Or, some truckers have a stick they hit the tire with. Depending on how it bounces off they can tell if the tires are at proper inflation or they're low.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

chrisgt posted:

It looks like he's either hitting it with an ice pick to puncture it.
Or, some truckers have a stick they hit the tire with. Depending on how it bounces off they can tell if the tires are at proper inflation or they're low.

The emergency pump handle for the wheelchair lift on your bus is an *excellent* inflation-testing tool, and self defense weapon at that!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Uhhhhh, is that blood coming from his right arm? :stare:

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Rorac posted:

Yes, I believe it is.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Rorac posted:

I'm no scientist but I believe that something exploding hard enough to rip your shirt off is probably going to cause some injury. Also hes very nonchalant about using his now disrobed shirt as a bandage.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Gorilla Salad posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4a2_1345042905

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fucker got whet he deserved. Too bad about the tire though.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Rorac posted:

Yup, look at the angle of his arm as he lands and picks himself back up. Whatever it was that happened, it looks like it snapped the bones in his lower arm clean loving in half :(

EDIT: If the video description is to be believe he got what he deserved, then.

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 16, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm going to change the image to a link and I think everyone else should, too. Pretty sure the mods don't like seeing people get hurt.

I can't believe I didn't notice he bled all over the ground, my bad.

It looks like he maybe stabbed himself and broke his forearm. Goddamn.

Well, I suppose at least he had a handy rag he could use to mop up the blood.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I like that karma decided to throw a face plant onto concrete steps into the deal.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pretty sure he's bleeding from his arm because that is an open compound fracture :stonk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

I like that karma decided to throw a face plant onto concrete steps into the deal.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Human Failures

Also, loving OW.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Root Bear posted:

I hate hydraulic leaks. As expensive as hydraulic oil is nowadays, when I inevitably pop hoses on my tractor or FEL I just start tossing 20 dollar bills on the ground limping the fucker back to the garage.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I spent two summers working in a distribution warehouse. One day, someone loading up a truck accidentally nailed one of the truck tires with the fork of a forklift. The the force of the bang blew out one of his eardrums and threw him against the back of the cage. A fully loaded tire busting loose will fuuuuuck you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm so glad now that every time I've had a tire burst on me I was in the vehicle. I don't have much pain tolerance so if that happened to me I'd probably just curl up and bleed out.