Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Emalde posted:

No, you just have to wait for bosses to use a specific attack for your theft opportunity.

Ah. I just remember Death giving me fits trying to get his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Dick Valentine posted:

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

Drakan is a western action-rpg game. You fight with swords, axes, bows, magic, complete quests, explore dungeons, fight spiders, save townsfolk, oh... and you ride a goddamn dragon. You can blast your enemies from the air with fire or have aerial battles, often in the same giant level. It has a good combat system, melee has you blocking and dodging, and magic is basically a total copy of Arx Fatalis. The story is actually decent and will have you visiting a variety of areas (the last levels being impressive).

If you consider yourself a fan of RPGs you owe it to yourself to play Drakan. It's an unknown gem of game.

This was a lot of fun, though the combat was a bit awkward. It always seemed to me that you had to exploit the A.I. in order to even stand a chance, but maybe I just didn't play it right. It also took a ridiculous amount of memory to save.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Vaerai Archon posted:

I'm at over 150+ PS2 games and it's really one of the larger system collections I have. However I just went to gamestop to get two used PS2 games and apparently they couldn't find them. However they gave me the cases for nothing so if I ever find them loose I'll atleast have the cases. Also mall Gamestops are able to stock some PS2 games, atleast I can speak from finding them around the tri-state area. It may not be as large a selection but it's worth investigating.
There's a spot near me that has a Gamestop across the street from a Gamestop. They've both removed all PS2 cases from the shelves and replaced them with great big boxes full of discs in sleeves. Except for the unexplained PS2 games labeled and sold as new despite being sun bleached or horribly battered.

I stopped by one a couple weeks ago with this thread in mind. I found Gungrave Overdose for $1. This is easily one of the most anime games I've ever played and it's a ton of fun. I mean it's got a button that's just labeled "cool pose." It handles a lot like God Hand with guns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Myron posted:

This was a lot of fun, though the combat was a bit awkward. It always seemed to me that you had to exploit the A.I. in order to even stand a chance, but maybe I just didn't play it right. It also took a ridiculous amount of memory to save.

Depends on the enemy. You had to master the parry function when fighting humanoid enemies but sometimes they would change position very slightly and screw up your footing. Some of the feral monsters like the scavengers (who were HUGE pains in the original Drakan) just couldn't be effectively blocked and the best strategy was attack, roll backwards, attack, and so on.

I abused the hell out of magic. It was annoying to do the gestures but there were few ranged enemies so you could trap the AI behind an obstacle and wreck them with spells. It reached a point where I could kill giants and other dragons on foot.

Nekomata
Oct 9, 2009

Let's do it!

dis astranagant posted:

This was pretty cool, though isn't it the one where you have to kill bosses in ridiculously specific ways to get them to drop stuff to craft with?

Every enemy has a special window in which you can steal an item from them, it's different from enemy to enemy and some needed you to do something specific to open up the window. Some of the items you could get where materials for the best equipment. :eng101:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

The problem is finding a gamestop with something worthwhile. I've been to about 4 here in GA and a lot of them are pretty crap. And one didn't have ps2 games period. Actually, there's probably a 5th one I know of, and it probably doesn't have ps2 games as well (it's located in a mall, so space is a big issue)

Ask and see if there's one in the area that they sent all the PS2 games to. This happened a few years back with PS1 games in my area; all the stores sent them to a pair of stores, who sold them for another year.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
How about this one?

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is a first-person dungeon-crawling RPG, in the vein of... well, Wizardry. The game is set in a frozen village called Duhan, where a disaster called the Flash has warped time and space and created a big ol' fuckin' dungeon for you to explore.

The game plays like a lot of other dungeon-crawlers, but it has a few unique features, the biggest of them being the Trust mechanic. Basically, whenever you beat a battle, follow your characters' alignments, or satisfy your characters' individual wants, your party gains a bit of Trust. As your Trust increases, you unlock special attacks called Allied Actions — these include things like double-teaming an enemy, pinning an enemy down with magic while another attacks them, or everyone rushing in all at once and whaling on random enemies with abandon.

Battles tend to be slow, but challenging, and fortunately there are no random encounters — normal enemies appear on the field and can be evaded. The levels are large and easy to get lost in, but as you progress you open up shortcuts between floors. The atmosphere of the game is dark and dreary, much like King's Field or the Souls games, but it does have a bit of a sense of humor. (The Orcs are freaking adorable :3:)

Overall, I greatly recommend the game if you're a fan of the genre. I haven't beaten it (last I remember I was on floor 5 of... 10?), but I've greatly enjoyed what I've played.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Kazvall posted:

If anyone is a fan of the original Wild Arms on the PS1, you should really check out the remake for the PS2: Wild Arms: Alter Code F.

Redoes the entire graphics engine, as well as adding many small changes from the games later in the series. New characters/storylines are also well done.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I LOVE the Wild Arms series and Alter Code F is my favorite one. I had to sell my copy recently, sadly.

Here's a game I like and I'm pretty sure no one else on the planet does. It's called Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance.

Devloped by Cavia (probably best known for Nier and the Resident Evil Chronicles series) and produced by Capcom, BeatDown is a sort of fighting game/RPG hybrid. I'd classify it kinda like a proto-Yakuza, in that it came out a few months before the first Yakuza game, your main character is a criminal, and you go around the city getting into random battles with interactive environments. Maybe Yakuza meets River City Ransom.

You get to pick from one of five gang members (Raven, Jason G, Aaron, Lola and Gina) who are betrayed by their Cartel and go out for vengeance... WITH THEIR FISTS! You then go through a decently large city, trying to gain information, money, and recruit allies. You can have up to two party members at a time and they'll join you in mass battles. There are also smaller, one-on-one battles that play a lot like Virtua Fighter. You can recruit somewhere around 90 allies, including the boss characters, and modify your character how you want (in true Dead Rising style, clothes are not gender-specific and can be worn by anyone).

It's certainly not perfect. Long loading times ahoy. The story is weak and the game is short. There's four different endings per character, depending on your rank by the end of the game, but each playthrough is essentially the same just with different cutscenes. The voice acting is so bad it's actually really endearing (I'd compare it to Bushido Blade in that respect).

It's a fun RPG fighting game that taught me the word "shitkickers." I wish everyone could play it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Just made my way through the thread, and there's great stuff in here.

Alteisen posted:

Hello fellow extermination fan.
This game was cool, though I never finished it. Tense with good action, and remember the gun you had was pretty satisfying. I need to see if I can pick up my copy the next time I drop by home.

homeless snail posted:

Bombastic

Sequel to the equally underrated PSX game Devil Dice. In my eyes, this is the only series that even comes close to the batshit insanity of multiplayer Bomberman.
My brother and I would play this drat game (starting from Devil Dice/Xi) endlessly on 3 minute score attack, and we had a coop game that lasted hours because we kept bailing out of certain death of constant lightning flashes summoning new dies through strategic use of magic 1s. This is one of those puzzle games that will rewire your brain to the point that anybody watching you play will swear you must be loving insane. Key tip for non-savant high scores: focus on 5s.

Dominic White posted:

Also, I actually wrote an article about this elsewhere - recently, the 'long lost' missing link between Dark Souls and King's Field was translated. Shadow Tower Abyss.

Ever feel King's Field was TOO loving SLOW as you circle strafed yet another Venus flytrap the size of a child? This game will make you wish you had that time as it runs 60 fps(I think it was) and poo poo WANTS TO MURDER YOU. This one also had you say, swing a sword at a red goblin charging you through tall grass and you SLICE HIS loving ARM OFF and he's still mad. You could also just shoot him in the head as this game had guns, though ammo was hard to find. I'm amazed there's a fan translation, and I'm searching now for it(I own the game as it is anyway).

Ineffiable posted:

Alright guys, help me out here. Out of the 3 fatal frame games on the PS2, is there a best one? It seems like a lot of people prefer Fatal Frame 2, but most reviews seem to be before Fatal Frame 3 was even out.
Fatal Frame 2 is fantastic but note that it has multiple endings(I think you have to beat it multiple times), and when I beat it with my brother, we were both :stonk::stonk:. The Fatal Frame games are great for playing through with an audience too; we played through the first one with several friends hanging out and watching and it was great.

VG-Robot posted:

Everblue 2
This game has you explore the ocean bed and shipwrecks with cramped hallways, locked doors, and no music but the sound of you breathing your dwindling air supply. It's both calming and chill yet it can be really tense at times, and if you're claustrophobic, stay away from this game. Isn't Aquanauts Holiday supposed to be just ocean dickin' around instead of searching for treasure with sonar?

Here's my additions (that I can remember):

Eternal Ring

This was one of the two close-to-launch titles for the PS2 from From Software, the people who make King's Field/Demon's Souls/Armored Core etc. It's very similar to King's Field in terms of exploration and atmosphere, but it's 60 fps and action is (relatively) faster. The main feature of the game is that you can wear up to 10 different rings, and based on the combinations of rings you wear, you create different spells, and it's loving awesome. It's a bit more linear than a King's Field game so it's finishable, and making spells makes you feel like a badass.

Victorious Boxers

A boxing game based on the manga/anime Hajime no Ippo. If you like the comic, there's a lot to like with it supposedly following the fights in the comic pretty closely and lots of characters in there. Even if you don't know much about the comic like me, this is one of the most realistic boxing games to date(and not laboriously so), and not since 4D Boxing have I played a game that's not only realistic, but gives you that "feel" of taking down a guy with an immaculate, soul-shattering blow.

Fighting is extremely physics based as you have to really pay attention to your footwork and constantly stay on the move as you dish out punches, and your angle and distance are extremely important. You have to employ actual boxing strategy from leaning into punches to add power to staying close to a dude with longer arms than you to reduce his power and avoid getting destroyed. There's several control schemes, but I think the best was using left stick for movement, right stick for sway, and shoulder buttons for punches, and you get incredible freedom of movement as you dance around the ring, dodging punches and trying to land solid blows. It feels more accurate than current boxing games, as those tend to feel more formulaic whereas this is dictated more by physics and the combination of all your actions. The game's got legs with multiple campaigns as you play through different characters' storylines, including one that includes fighting a bear. I know there's a sequel and they made another one in the series too, but I never got around to trying them yet. This one is excellent though, and should be easy to find for around $10 shipped.

Gamespot review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNcrhL7gp04

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Eternal Ring is pretty awesome. I love From Software stuff but I haven't gotten around to playing it.

I love the tagline on the back though:
Who Said Fantasies had to be Final?

Cover art is pretty..... blah. Just another case where the Japanese artwork triumphs.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 10, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

So good. It's the sequel to Disaster Report. You're in a flooded city and have to escape, and you play through the story from a multitude of perspectives. Basically a survival horror game with the horror. It's weird and fun in all the best possible ways.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ambitious Spider posted:

So good. It's the sequel to Disaster Report. You're in a flooded city and have to escape, and you play through the story from a multitude of perspectives. Basically a survival horror game with the horror. It's weird and fun in all the best possible ways.

aka Waiter Simulator 2K7

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NoodleBox posted:

I can't really find any decently sized pictures of the box art, but the Maximo series was pretty great and challenging

I don't know how underrated they are exactly, but I really don't hear anyone talking about them or even mentioning them that much any more

I just want to quote this month old post by saying Maximo is amazing and possibly my favorite post-32bit generation platformer. It's the spiritual successor to Ghosts n Goblins and it shows because the game is loving brutal. There's currency in the game but it uses it for everything: run out of lives? Pay some money but beware that the cost is incremental. Want to save your game? Yeah, pay some money. People balked at it for this reason but Maximo is such a great game because it embodies all the design aspect from old games into a new 3D format.

The levels are linear but there are multiple paths littered with secrets. You get a bunch of powerups that interact with each other uniquely (my favorite being the magnet-shield + throw shield to become a coin collecting machine) but if you die you lose any powerups that haven't been "locked" into your armor which balances the mechanic. The enemies require a tactical approach because they're agile, they'll block your attacks, and you only have a couple of hits total. Platforming? Some of the toughest on the console. If you thought Jak 2 was tough, well, Maximo will kick your poo poo in.

The sequel, Army of Zin, was pretty good but it was essentially a different game. They made it easier and more action focused, which I'm sure appealed to a broader audience, but thankfully the combat system and level design was at least good so it's not a shallow game. I still prefer the original for its balls-to-the-wall retro style goodness.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambitious Spider posted:

If anyone wants to play this my local gamestops have several copies for the horrifically high amount of $1.79, so PM me if you want a copy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Runabout 3: Neo Age

PS2 version of the Runabout games. If you never played them, they're point to point racing games with various real vehicles (with different names a la Tokyo Xtreme Racer) and you basically smash poo poo up and deliver packages or just go from point A to point B. Every object can be crashed into and it displays what you hit, almost like a bizarre Katamari Damacy without the rolling up stuff. In this iteration the game actually has a list of every object you can crash into along with how hard it is to find.

Only got released in Japan and Europe but even in Japanese the game has an absurdly large amount of English text.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think it's been posted here but I'm trying to remember this PS2 game I could have sworn I owned but apparently don't anymore. You play as a woman who has to go to the underworld (or some kind of creepy dimension) to save her boyfriend. She can transform into monsters and she's accompanied by a gargoyle companion. It was a creepy game with a decent presentation and I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

I don't think it's been posted here but I'm trying to remember this PS2 game I could have sworn I owned but apparently don't anymore. You play as a woman who has to go to the underworld (or some kind of creepy dimension) to save her boyfriend. She can transform into monsters and she's accompanied by a gargoyle companion. It was a creepy game with a decent presentation and I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name.

Primal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_%28video_game%29

One of my favorite games of that era, shame it sold like 10 copies. You can find copies now for like 3 bucks. Had great voice acting to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wow, didn't know it came from a Sony studio. Despite the huge spreads it got in PSM I don't remember any real advertising or coverage for the game.

e: Huh, they actually released it on PS2. Might as well get it if you're interested in a unique adventure title.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned this:

But herdy Gerdy is one part puzzle game and one part platformer. You essentialy run around herding itty bitty creatures to solve puzzles and unlock poo poo. If you fail to do it, the large pink bear men will eat you and the moon will come crashing down into the earth.(probably)

It has heavily stylized visuals. Yes the main character looks like 1990's Jim Carrey and I don't know why. But he is just one boy who just loving LOVES herding things come hell or high water he will herd everything until nothing else can be herded.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Primal actually had an even more obscure follow up called Ghosthunter.

It supposedly shares a lot with Primal: excellent voice acting and incredible atmosphere, but also kind awful combat and it never found an audience. It's also supposed to be scary as gently caress.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

It supposedly shares a lot with Primal: excellent voice acting and incredible atmosphere, but also kind awful combat and it never found an audience. It's also supposed to be scary as gently caress.

Hahaha

Ok, Ghosthunter is pretty well done game for what it is, but scary it aint.

It does have the very best protagonist name ever: LAZARUS JONES. It's what I've called every character I've ever made since.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
(crosspost from the PS2 emulation thread)

When I play my PS2 on my LCD TV, everything is very blurry and just doesn't look nice. Rather than shopping for an old CRT TV, how can I run my PS2 through my LED computer monitor (DVI)?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Sir_Seth posted:

When I play my PS2 on my LCD TV, everything is very blurry and just doesn't look nice. Rather than shopping for an old CRT TV, how can I run my PS2 through my LED computer monitor (DVI)?

You want to talk to the AV nerds in the Retro Games thread.

[edit] The short answer is yes, the long answer is :retrogames:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 16, 2012

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

Primal actually had an even more obscure follow up called Ghosthunter.

I bought this game but it never clicked with me, the game have a quake 3 feel that I didn't like.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hahaha

Ok, Ghosthunter is pretty well done game for what it is, but scary it aint.

It does have the very best protagonist name ever: LAZARUS JONES. It's what I've called every character I've ever made since.

EDGE MAVERICK would like a word with you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sir_Seth posted:

You're looking for a VGA box for your PS2, which will take S-Video signal and output it to 15-pin VGA. If your monitor doesn't have a VGA input, you can prooooobably use a VGA/DVI adapter. Shouldn't be that expensive. FYI: your color quality be altered.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Naky posted:

gently caress Dragon Force 1, translate and release Dragon Force 2 FFS. It's DF except with more of everything. Literally. It's like a director's cut. Been dying for someone to make a translation patch for it.

There is a group working on it but apparently they need help if they want to finish it in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1622/

straylightunity
Dec 20, 2005

Scapegrace.

Schubalts posted:

EDGE MAVERICK would like a word with you.

As would DINGO EGRET.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm sorry, EDGE MAVERICK cannot be beat. Mostly because Tri-Ace unironically thought that name was rad as hell when they made that piece of poo poo game.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I saw Raw Danger was mentioned a bit above, but no mention of the original. :smith:

Disaster Report (released in Europe as ‘SOS: The Final Escape’) was a game about surviving Earthquakes in a ruined city. There's a fair bit of fiddly inventory management with the water mechanic and there are a few missteps within the story (filing office doccuments during a disaster! comedic duo of hitmen!) and the graphics are pretty rear end but it's a great game with a fun cast of characters and an interesting mechanic, despite being an early 00's PS2 game in the worst way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Schubalts posted:

EDGE MAVERICK

I'll take those silly names and raise you a KATANA FARAWAY

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dominic White posted:

I'll take those silly names and raise you a KATANA FARAWAY

All of those names pale in comparison to ROCKETBILLY REDCADILLAC from Gungrave. :kamina:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Silhouette posted:

All of those names pale in comparison to ROCKETBILLY REDCADILLAC from Gungrave. :kamina:

... Okay, yeah. I forgot about him. And that really is the best name - the character design lives up to it, too.

straylightunity
Dec 20, 2005

Scapegrace.
How could I forget that name? Better go play some Gungrave.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

straylightunity posted:

How could I forget that name? Better go play some Gungrave.

You're not gonna find him in Gungrave... you've got to upgrade to Gungrave: Overdose

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hey, what was that SHMUP with the horribly silly cover? It's a traditional sci-fi scrolling shooter but the American cover is a bunch of women in an action comic book pose.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

al-azad posted:

Hey, what was that SHMUP with the horribly silly cover? It's a traditional sci-fi scrolling shooter but the American cover is a bunch of women in an action comic book pose.

That would be Charlie's Angels Mobile Light Force 2

Actual gameplay may differ slightly from that advertised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf9Cx77Q0P4

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 16, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good grief, what a joke. They still do that, too. The Monkey King is an obscure sequel to a Master System game called Cloudmaster. Check out the English cover.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zenintrude posted:

That would be Charlie's Angels Mobile Light Force 2

Actual gameplay may differ slightly from that advertised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf9Cx77Q0P4
The original Mobile Light Force on PS1 was just a renamed Gunbird, and this is just the first Shikigami no Shiro (Castle of Shikigami) game with a bad translation. The sequel to the latter made it to PS2 here under the name Castle of Shikigami 2, with some rather hilariously bad voice acting and a cover that actually showed characters from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Zeether posted:

The original Mobile Light Force on PS1 was just a renamed Gunbird, and this is just the first Shikigami no Shiro (Castle of Shikigami) game with a bad translation. The sequel to the latter made it to PS2 here under the name Castle of Shikigami 2, with some rather hilariously bad voice acting and a cover that actually showed characters from the game.

And then, of course, Gunbird 2 is actually Gunbird 2.

• Locked thread