Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

Garry's fine, it's just a flesh wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman One
Apr 24, 2012
Garry's going to form a new stone-arm out of the rubble.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

JazzFlight posted:

Hoooooooly poo poo, this is only tangentially related to TGT, but I just booted up Dust: An Elysian Tail on XBLA and I casually checked the credits list and lo and behold, our very own Aramek did voice acting in the game!

If somehow Lazerbot were to incorporate an obscure character from an indie XBLA game into TGT, Aramek could do the voice acting for his own character, which would be very trippy...

We had a bit of an NDA, but, since it is now the 15th, and the game is out, I've been telling people to get it. I just had a bit part, but they gave us all pre-releases of the game a week ago, and it is crazy fun. So, thanks for noticing. :blush:

quote:

super furry
To be fair, while it does make me a bit uncomfortable, working with everyone involved was all pretty chill. At least nobody looks like a DA-style furry, more like the whole game is "no humans".

(I keep saying this to myself in any case.)

Aramek fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 15, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Aramek posted:

To be fair, while it does make me a bit uncomfortable, working with everyone involved was all pretty chill. At least nobody looks like a DA-style furry, more like the whole game is "no humans".

(I keep saying this to myself in any case.)

Counterpoint :colbert:

Just kidding, art aside the actual game looks fun enough for me to actually hook my xbox back up.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

So lazerbot got in touch with me last night, and I asked him a few questions about TGT. Didn't get into his personal life, but I figured I'd pass along the highlights.

quote:

AJ: Are you a comic reader? If so any favorite books, artists?

LB: i haven't read that many books and i don't read enough books to have a fave book artists

AJ: Storywise, at what point (if any) did you go from winging it to following a planned plot.

LB: i starting planing when i cam up with the justen bever consert
not cam came

AJ: Has planning ahead of time helped make things easier, or do you feel constrained by stuff you've laid out ahead of time?

LB: well seeing i have things planned out a head of time and i can take alot more time getting the little details and what not done better and if needed i add something in there, i enjoy this better then winging it because i can do much more then i could winging it

AJ: You've used a lot of Characters that exist in other fiction, yet also manage to make them uniquely "lazerbot." How do you decide who is going to be what?

LB: that is actually another odd thing with me, i guess i want to make sure everyone is different so i mess arround alittle bit, some times they become something i didn't plan

AJ: Any examples?

LB: hmmm rob he became more main then i first planned

AJ: he was an original, though. I'm talking more about like making Knuckles a crazy stoner, or fud being...whatever the hell he is

LB: ahh ok alot of the characters was planned out to be that way but accouple were wild cards in that matter like silver

AJ: You said he was a wildcard. Do you mean for you as a writer?

LB: i mean't that because his character was different then i first planned
but i then a justed to it

AJ: Of your original characters, who are you most proud of?

LB: now you making me want to spoiler

AJ: Ok, don't :)

LB: ok im prod of emo troll. i love all my characters actually but rob my be at the top of the list that, thats not counting the one im temped to spoil lol

AJ: this raises an interesting question about emo troll. His backwards cigarette: intentional or not?

LB: it started out a mistake but i then said ahh gently caress it

AJ: villains/violence too

LB: well im not done with that one

AJ: so you're kind of in an interesting place now. You've improved in your art and storytelling, particularly the text blocking, yet the quirks in your early work sort of define you in a way. Do you feel that if you improve too much you might lose the charm that attracted people in the first place?

LB: well thats really depending on person thats not really my goal in all of this

AJ: What is your goal in all of this?

LB: to reach the climaz

AJ: how close to the end are we? There's been so many different groups and it feels like we're going to see some meetings soon.

LB: the end is really depending in how long it takes to make the rest that i have planned and im looking forword to every single secont of it

AJ: when you started, what expectations did you have for this thing? You have a lot of art up that predates TGT.

LB: well when i started this i didn't plan for it to go anywhere, it was a duttle but then it just took off

AJ: how long does a page normally take to make?

LB: depends on the details i have planned to put into a page, acouple hours

AJ: what program do you use and do you normally use a mouse or did you have a tablet with your old computer?

LB: most my pages was made with a mouse, i draw it on paint and i normally shade and blur on gimp2 some times photo shop. i do time to time draw the page on gimp1. gimp2 i mean

Sorry for the poor formatting but I'm trying to paste this together from FB chat. Some interesting nuggets in there that I hope are worth sharing; particularly the villains/violence bit. He really is a cool dude and he's handling all this added attention in stride. Really looking forward to how this crazy story ends.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
Holy drat. I completely ignored Dust until now because I thought it was a sequel to "From Dust" which was an uninteresting XBLArcade game to say the least.

It doesn't strike me as a furry game. More like Redwall meets Sonic.... which I guess isn't furry? Nevermind. Maybe I should just say I'm not creeped out by it.

E: Also interesting that this was just sort of a thing lazerbot didn't plan until a certain point. I'm excited for TGT to end (as bad as that sounds) just so I can see what new stuff comes up with. Those old fairy comics are hilarious every time I see them.

Final Gloom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 15, 2012

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

lazerbot posted:

it was a duttle but then it just took off

duttle/doodle is as great as villains/violence in my book.

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

As much as I was with the "don't want to know how the sausage is made" group. I enjoyed that little interview. It was a vary good idea to stick with no personal questions.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

JazzFlight posted:

Hoooooooly poo poo, this is only tangentially related to TGT, but I just booted up Dust: An Elysian Tail on XBLA and I casually checked the credits list and lo and behold, our very own Aramek did voice acting in the game!

If somehow Lazerbot were to incorporate an obscure character from an indie XBLA game into TGT, Aramek could do the voice acting for his own character, which would be very trippy...

drat. I was considering buying it as is... Guess I know I am now.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Look how good of an action shot panel 8 is. Just look at it.

I feel that the completely gratuitous shot of his sandals is going unappreciated.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spaceman One posted:

Garry's going to form a new stone-arm out of the rubble.

Goddamn, it would be like that scene in Akira where Tetsuo rebuild his arm out of rebar and concrete.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Final Gloom posted:

Holy drat. I completely ignored Dust until now because I thought it was a sequel to "From Dust" which was an uninteresting XBLArcade game to say the least.

It doesn't strike me as a furry game. More like Redwall meets Sonic.... which I guess isn't furry? Nevermind. Maybe I should just say I'm not creeped out by it.

E: Also interesting that this was just sort of a thing lazerbot didn't plan until a certain point. I'm excited for TGT to end (as bad as that sounds) just so I can see what new stuff comes up with. Those old fairy comics are hilarious every time I see them.

Awww, I was excited because I thought it WAS going to be a sequel to From Dust, which I had lots of fun with.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

FrenchToasty posted:

duttle/doodle is as great as villains/violence in my book.

It always weirded me out a little. I think I'll keep my distance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You've got an extra 0 on the end of that link: http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005062

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Final Gloom posted:

Yeah, our definition of 'furry' is an awful, ignominious circle on a Venn diagram, one that overlaps a circle labeled 'anthropomorphic animals'. For a lot of people, the two circles overlap a lot, perhaps even almost or outright completely. I'm sure there are people out there who would unironically go, "Errrrrgggghh, this game is yiffy poo poo for fags, anyone who likes it is a human being."

We live in a world in which a subculture has ruined anthropomorphic animals for many people. We live in a world in which that is possible.

Of course, it could be more complex than that. I don't know much about the history of the use of anthropomorphic animals outside of comedies, for example. But it's probably not impossible to do so well and not in a crappy way.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 16, 2012

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Mail's here!

I think the fight is starting to drag on, but at least we get neat particle effects.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ThatPazuzu posted:

I think the fight is starting to drag on, but at least we get neat particle effects.

Eh, a bit early to complain I think, this is only page #6 of this fight. For comparison, the Mario vs. King Troll fight lasted 19 pages.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm thinking Demario is just wearing black facepaint on his forehead.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So at least 5 more pages of them both 1-upping each other constantly before we get anywhere I guess.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Did the android just rebuild himself from loving BEES? :stare:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So Garry can make :black101: stone armor like Toph and his android double can dissolve into bees?

Say what you will about the shonen anime one-upmanship and bad pacing, this poo poo is still awesome.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

That Gobbo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2kc4oZTVU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

So is phase-shifting/whatever that is a standard troll power or what

Also "Hahahahah your loving retarded no lie about that", this is way better than Mario-King Troll, I'm actually enjoying this.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
Wait, is the android turning into bees an homage to The Pain from MGS3? Because if it is, and MGS3 is in this comic's weird multi-universal canon, someone better throw a live snake at a troll's face ASAP.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo Garrybot is the Yellow Devil from Megaman. Demaro should have used the Thunder Beam against him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That Gobbo posted:

Accoring to Lazerbot, they are supposed to be beetles. :eng101:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Okay, I won't lie, Garrybot reassembling himself in a swarm of bugs is legitimately cool as gently caress.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
On his facebook Lazerbot is asking people why they don't like his fight scenes. I really appreciate any artist taking criticism the correct way and actively tries to improve, but the fact that it's a just his own little webcomic makes it even more special.

Edit:
Goons, fix your monitors.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 16, 2012

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
All I can see in those fight scenes is the eyes. I hate macs but the screen is good quality and brightness is on full, and I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING on my work macbook pro

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
My problem with his fight scenes is they seem too unequal - the Mario vs. Troll King is the best example of this, it was just Mario getting his poo poo slapped around for the entire fight.

I never once felt like Mario had a shot at winning, so it dragged. As long as the feeling of suspense is kept up, where you're never sure who can win and everything the characters do feels powerful and like a threat that the other has to take seriously, it stays interesting.

When that's lost, it gets boring.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Many people say they can't see poo poo on these dark pages, but all you can do is calibrate your displays.
Seriously.

I know, lazerbot's blacks unfortunately range between 2% and 5%, but he's doing these on a PC.
Windows encodes images with 0.45 gamma and decodes with 2.2.

Before Snow Leopard, Macs encoded with 0.55 and decoded with 1.88.

So, if you have an older Mac, all you can do is calibrate your display and set it to a Windows-style gamma.
Then you'll see the pages as Lazerbot intended.

Can't be helped.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I would much prefer that if there's going to be a fight scene, that he just do the whole thing and release it all at once, fight scenes are supposed to be exciting and fast, and having to wait a week or more for the story to move forward piecemeal is annoying.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So those bugs are meant to be bugs made using earth bending right? Because if so, Garry should just have hunderds of stone bugs eat Demaro alive. That would be neat.

Bombus ruderatus
Mar 2, 2012

Air Julio posted:

LB: i starting planing when i cam up with the justen bever consert
not cam came

I puzzled over those last 3 words for an inordinate amount of time (thinking they was part of the sentence, repeating them over and over again, trying in vain to understand how they connected to the previous part).

Then I realized that lazerbot was actually correcting his spelling! :allears: I'm so used to lazerbot's words being totally different from what I first thought they were (e.g. sint = scent?)that I'm over-thinking it now.

Anyway, what a great interview! It's wonderful to get a glimpse into the mind of the genius. :swoon:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
It sure is a lot of fun to read the tails gets trolled comic

Thumper
Apr 18, 2007
Lazerbot if you are reading this I would like to tell you that I am enjoying this fight scene, and it is indeed much better than the Mario fight. So more power to you. Although, as another poster said above, it's true that extended waiting between pages hurts the tension.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like the fight scenes. :shrug: I agree that getting several pages worth at once so you can read the whole fight in one sitting would be an improvement, but I like the current way well enough. I didn't even really have a problem with Mario vs Troll King; it dragged, for sure, but I never found myself disliking it. Just my opinion, but it kinda bums me out to see lazerbot thinking we all hate his fight scenes when I've always liked them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Lazerbot posted:

i like to see different peoples point of views on this but when it comes to stuff like this with fight scenes or anything really, im just gonna do what I've been doing because if i decide to listen to someone and go that direction, some of the other fans wouldn't like it, im not gonna try to please everyone, i will do it my way ^^

I think this quote has me coming to terms with the fact I feel genuine affection for Lazerbot as an artist and person.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Calico Heart posted:

I think this quote has me coming to terms with the fact I feel genuine affection for Lazerbot as an artist and person.
Funny how at the beginning we thought "Oh man this comic is ridiculous, the guy that writes it is probably nuts." Then it turns out that lazerbot is pretty much the most rational and reasonable guy ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
How can anyone be complaining about a fight scene that is now a Necromancer with the power to control plants and summon a giant pig demon vs. a rockbodied Earthbender and his android counterpart WHO IS MADE OF ROBOT BEES!

Once again, TGT creates a sentence that otherwise would never have been written. It won't be the last time.