Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

THIS.

Don't forget to keep shooting while you're alternating grenade types on bosses, either. Aside from Tech Bursting your Arc Grenades, the Homing Grenades weaken armor as well.

Harrier's pretty awesome for the shooting part too, because you should pretty much never run out of ammo as long as you got that pylon up your butt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Harrier. :smith:

I've got a Piranha IV for close up work, but not sure what I should do for a mid- long range weapon. Maybe switch to a Talon for short range work and a Sabre, Crusader, or GPS for longer ranges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Use a scoped Talon for medium-long range and the Piranha for close. It's what I use on my demolisher and I have a Harrier. You'll actually get a decent cooldown on your pylon power as well.

Oh and speaking of the Talon:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Why the Talon is the Best Gun in the Game

The Talon can be used an excellent shotgun. You can also equip it with a scope and a piercing mod to turn it into the best gun in the game. It's very versatile and good at killing everything at any range.

Ideal Rate of Fire: The Talon is a semi-automatic with 4 shots and a very low reload time. It fires quickly enough that a missed shot won't screw you and it's not an automatic so you don't have to stay continually exposed when firing.

gently caress Shield Gates: The Talon fires 6 separate pellets in a single shot so it will lose less than 15% of its damage to the shield gate. This mean that you can safely shot guys with low shields without wasting your shots. It also has a 1.5 damage multiplier when used against shields of barriers. This means you can actually kill things that still have shields left.

Armor: Shotguns fire 8 pellets so they get around the shield gate as well however because the Talon only fires 6 pellets it loses only 75% as much damage to armor as a regular shotgun. With the piercing mod at 5 this works out to 105 damage lost or 18.7% of the base damage of a level 1 Talon. With damage boosts the actual percentage will be much lower. This gun does serious damage to armor

When You Aim it's a Sniper Rifle: You can scope a Talon which will tighten the grouping a whole bunch. This means that you can snipe with it. Using cover will tighten the grouping even further allowing you to put all 6 pellets in some Marauders head from a very good distance. On a class with an accuracy bonus there is virtually no spread when aimed from cover. You can also aim while out of cover but expect a heavy kick unless you have a stability bonus. I've attached a picture at the end of the post that shows the spread when fired from the console on FBW with and without hunter mode.

When You Hip-fire it's a Shotgun: Most sniper rifles take a damage penalty when fired from the hip. A scoped Talon does not and the lower accuracy from hip firing means you get a more shotgun like pellet spread comparable to the Eviscerator. This versatility is amazing since you get both a short and long range killing tool in one.

It's Light: It's 110 at level 1 and only 60 at level 10. I've got mine at level 5 and it's light enough to run on anything.

It's Insane With Ammo: The Talon has a very high rate of applying ammo powers, it's nearly 100% with any ammo at level 2 or higher. This means that you use warp ammo to consistently do excellent damage to armor. More importantly you can use cryo ammo to turn your Talon into a freeze ray. You can drop shields and freeze with the same shot and with the high rate of fire you're excellent at crowd control. You can also equip disruptor ammo to consistently prime tech bursts. You can tech burst faster as an Asari Adept than any engineer by alternating shoots and throws. You can strip shields like a pro as a Female Quarian Engineer.

Nothing's Perfect: Your spare ammo count is a bit sparse. It's not as bad as a Harrier but you will be hitting the ammo boxes a fair bit. Also the recoil is pretty high when aiming out of cover. Luckily the latest DLC cam with the Barrage gear which boosts both stability and spare ammo. It's well worth using if you have it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Counterpoint: The Hurricane does 1000 DPS and makes fart noises. Hurricane Supremacy :dukedog:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress you and your Hurricane :argh:

(The Hurricane is nice too.)

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I don't wanna! :colbert:

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6KP2mUANg

Pack it up boys. We're done here.

I watched from 58 like Lagomorphic said, and I bet his heart stopped after he left the circle the second time and that banshee popped in next to him at the top of the stairsladder. I'm not aware of any way to stop a magnet hand solo.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 16, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

zxqv8 posted:

I watched from 58 like Lagomorphic said, and I bet his heart stopped after he left the circle the second time and that banshee popped in next to him at the top of the stairs. I'm not aware of any way to stop a magnet hand solo.

Hell, I just about choked when I saw that, and I wasn't even playing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Yesterday, playing as a level 1 Fury, I discovered that Martial Arts can stun-lock most enemies.
It was a Bronze game, so admittedly it's easy to kill anything there, but still, saving a Lvl 20 Destroyer that got blindsided by a Geth Pyro by Dark Channeling it, teleporting in, meleeing it to death and then meleeing a Hunter that decloaked right when Dark Channel transferred to it made me feel pretty :smug:

What are the numbers on Martial Arts, by the way, compared to the other melee types?

Edit:
now I have to try to Martial Arts a Hunter on Gold.

Edit2: tried that solo by kiting a single Hunter in a room. Yeah, they can shoot despite being stunned.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 16, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pyros can be stunlocked by any melee if you time it right. On higher difficulties, that Hunter would have shot you in the face during its stun animation. Twice.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

I watched from 58 like Lagomorphic said, and I bet his heart stopped after he left the circle the second time and that banshee popped in next to him at the top of the stairsladder. I'm not aware of any way to stop a magnet hand solo.

That wasn't me; it was Felinoid who said that. Although I do agree that wave 10 is pretty much required viewing.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

radintorov posted:

Yesterday, playing as a level 1 Fury, I discovered that Martial Arts can stun-lock most enemies.
It was a Bronze game, so admittedly it's easy to kill anything there, but still, saving a Lvl 20 Destroyer that got blindsided by a Geth Pyro by Dark Channeling it, teleporting in, meleeing it to death and then meleeing a Hunter that decloaked right when Dark Channel transferred to it made me feel pretty :smug:

What are the numbers on Martial Arts, by the way, compared to the other melee types?

Edit:
now I have to try to Martial Arts a Hunter on Gold.

Edit2: tried that solo by kiting a single Hunter in a room. Yeah, they can shoot despite being stunned.

It's not perfect, but heavy melee is helpful for taking on Gold enemies, including Hunters. If they're shielded you'll stagger them and Annihilation Field will prime them for a BE, and if they're unshielded they'll be knocked off their feet. They might shoot you once, but they probably won't shoot you twice. Annihilation Field will drain their shields, which also helps.

Phantoms can stab you while teleporting, so you should not melee Phantoms with barriers. Unshielded phantoms will be knocked back, which is a nice way to kill some time if your powers are on cooldown.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

That wasn't me; it was Felinoid who said that. Although I do agree that wave 10 is pretty much required viewing.

Hmm. So it was.

Off to learn to read!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dilb posted:

Phantoms can stab you while teleporting, so you should not melee Phantoms with barriers. Unshielded phantoms will be knocked back, which is a nice way to kill some time if your powers are on cooldown.

How do phantoms work, exactly? I got a batarian soldier with the class at level 20 so just for fun I made I put no points into inferno grenade and specced everything for melee, running around super punching the head off anything I see. I get worst scores on the team almost every time I do this and it will no doubt be incredibly impractical for anything past bronze, but it's hilarious to go around one-shotting anything that doesn't have enough friends to pose a threat to me.

Tried it on a phantom from the back though, and it turned around and interrupted my heavy melee with its animation, which seems like bollocks. After super punching distracted Atlases and brutes to death I definitely want to do it to phantoms too, but they seem to be basically invincible to melee since they can interrupt it. I don't expect this build to be useful for anything past bronze, but I do love meleeing everything to death without any fancy biotic charging or anything, just running around like a headless chicken and administering fist-based justice to anything in the way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Easy way to make Furies a little more interesting than they are: Make the L6 fitness melee option detonate biotic explosions.

quote:

Tried it on a phantom from the back though, and it turned around and interrupted my heavy melee with its animation, which seems like bollocks. After super punching distracted Atlases and brutes to death I definitely want to do it to phantoms too, but they seem to be basically invincible to melee since they can interrupt it. I don't expect this build to be useful for anything past bronze, but I do love meleeing everything to death without any fancy biotic charging or anything, just running around like a headless chicken and administering fist-based justice to anything in the way.
Use your super explodey shotgun fist before you use your super explodey punchy fist.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The Batarian melee involves you standing toe-to-toe with an enemy for over a second while the falcon punch charges, so it's not a good one to use against Phantoms unless they're already staggering. It works better with something like the Krogan or Vorcha heavy melee, because they execute quickly and move a certain distance, so you spend less time in the danger zone. Phantoms can still totally insta-kill you any time you get near them, though, without regard to what you're doing. They'll even take priority over a biotic charge if they feel like it. There are enemies that can be dangerous but follow fairly basic rules so you can work out ways to beat them, like Pyros, Brutes, or Atlases, and then there are enemies that pretty much just cheat and are bullshit, like Phantoms, Hunters, and Banshees.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I dispute that. A. You're right about the stagger, but that's easy to achieve with a ballistic blades B. it has a magnetic lock-on that is way better than every other classes C. Phantoms can't block melee attacks D. you punch their loving heads off both literally and figuratively.

Ballistic Blades - shotgun in the face - Falcon Punch is the only acceptable Phantom method for a Batarian.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That's odd, because usually when my BatSol gets hit by a Phantom in the middle of a Falcon Punch, it doesn't phase him a bit (though of course you can still get damaged into the dirt if their friends can pile enough on through the DR), and I only ever play him on Silver. Maybe upping your shields instead of melee would give you more stagger resistance from having more health? Or maybe it's to do with having Blade Armor on (and specced for damage returned in my case) so you only ever get hit once before they bounce off?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felinoid posted:

That's odd, because usually when my BatSol gets hit by a Phantom in the middle of a Falcon Punch, it doesn't phase him a bit (though of course you can still get damaged into the dirt if their friends can pile enough on through the DR), and I only ever play him on Silver. Maybe upping your shields instead of melee would give you more stagger resistance from having more health? Or maybe it's to do with having Blade Armor on (and specced for damage returned in my case) so you only ever get hit once before they bounce off?

I maxed the counter on blade armor which is why I'm able to punch off most heads, since things usually try to melee instead of shoot me when I get close so they bounce off and easily get annihilated.

Phantoms appear to have two melee attacks, and the instakill one basically gets to ignore/interrupt whatever the gently caress you're doing as soon as the animation starts, so I'm just trying to figure out the logic between those and find a safe way to punch them, since that 250% melee counter damage doesn't seem to feel like working on their instakill move. Definitely agree with EvanSchenck that the enemies seem to be divided into two classes, with the gimmick ones basically being immune to weird strategies/too random to reliably attack in goofy ways. They aren't bothering me at the moment but I'm sure they'll piss me off regularly once I get up to higher difficulties.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2012

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Phantoms can still totally insta-kill you any time you get near them, though, without regard to what you're doing.

Nah, Phantoms need to have done a melee attack and not switched to doing anything else. It's entirely reliable to Ballistic Blade->Falcon Punch, because they can only get in one swing before they get Punched and Exploded, which staggers them.

I've never seen my BatSol get interrupted during a heavy melee except for insta-kills, and that includes stuff like any sort of attack from Geth Primes and Atlases. I always use Blade Armour, maybe that makes a difference?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nordick posted:

Yeah I have an Indra, and did pretty well with it, no problem there. And I do have some characters with a scoped Mattock, I think. Only used the Sabre on my Destroyer so far, with a scope even, and it worked pretty well. Might try it on my Turian soldier or GethInf as well. It's just that I really miss that AR extended barrel mod, while I do have the damage mod for sniper rifles.
I just love the feel of the Viper apart from the stupid zoom and would really like to use that gun.
Late reply, and almost embarrassing to admit, but at close range (or with a quick moving target like a banshee) I quickscope. Much easier to move the reticle over the target and then L1/R1. Guess I should start adding some 360s to be totally pro, but it works very well with a multishot gun like the Black Widow.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I joined a game of WGG (yes, yes, I know terrible person) with a Krogaurd who refused to use the panic room, seemed intent on soloing most of the round and against all odds was doing alright.

I was playing geth engineer, so I ditched the panic room and followed him around throwing my turret at his feet. Combined with biotic charge, he was completely untouchable. All the geth were gunning for him, so I stayed behind him and spammed overload to keep the trash away.

I forgot WGG could actually be fun. Thank you, random pubbie krogaurd.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Phantoms appear to have two melee attacks, and the instakill one basically gets to ignore/interrupt whatever the gently caress you're doing as soon as the animation starts, so I'm just trying to figure out the logic between those and find a safe way to punch them, since that 250% melee counter damage doesn't seem to feel like working on their instakill move.

Like Dilb said, the insta-kill can't be the first thing they do, so unless you're trying to save someone who's getting punted into a corner by a Phantom, feel free to knock their block off. Like if you round a corner and see a Phantom, just punch away. (Preferably with Blades first if you're on anything higher than Bronze, but not strictly necessary.) Keep a slight distance if they've tried a melee attack on you and you somehow haven't killed them yet, but otherwise being scared of them is the worst thing you can do.

EDIT: Best defense is a good offense, and so on.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 16, 2012

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dilb posted:

Nah, Phantoms need to have done a melee attack and not switched to doing anything else. It's entirely reliable to Ballistic Blade->Falcon Punch, because they can only get in one swing before they get Punched and Exploded, which staggers them.

In that case, what probably happened in my experience is just getting caught by a Phantom that had already tried to melee somebody else, so it was already primed for a sync kill.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

In that case, what probably happened in my experience is just getting caught by a Phantom that had already tried to melee somebody else, so it was already primed for a sync kill.

Yeah, that does happen. I've seen Phantoms do a quick double-kill by meleeing someone who was already weakened and then turning around and insta-killing another dude who was coming to help (usually me, if I saw it). And then they can travel in pairs (or packs :gonk:) to stunlock with staggered melee attacks until one can disembowel you, too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's no shame in doing WGG, it's just incredibly boring.

I figure if you're that desperate for credits, then having to endure WGG is punishment enough for your trouble.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I'm starting to get that bored with platinum farming but the credit payout is really good. The RNG makes monsters of us all.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Yeah, that does happen. I've seen Phantoms do a quick double-kill by meleeing someone who was already weakened and then turning around and insta-killing another dude who was coming to help (usually me, if I saw it). And then they can travel in pairs (or packs :gonk:) to stunlock with staggered melee attacks until one can disembowel you, too.

The worst is when 2 or 3 of them come around a corner at the same time and they simultaneously start shooting their palm blasts, which will drop you so quickly that you barely even have time to register what's happening, let alone doing anything about it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

This is crazy of me, but I actually enjoy GGW. I play my paladin a lot on it and the e-drain/snap freeze combo is a joy to play with. I get a ton more cryo explosions on the paladin than the human or quarian engineers.

It's fun, and it being GGW means far fewer pubbie failures so I can make credits while I do it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'd rather do Plat/Cerb/Glacier. Missiles are a lot more valuable since the map is so small.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What's the best/easiest way to farm Platinum?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'm still amazed that people will use medigel when there are 2-3 Phantoms standing on their body, they always get insta-killed and it's always funny.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Alright, I've respecced my AJA with 3 levels of pull and I'd like to make a retraction. Being able to pull a husk/trooper/cannibal from the middle of a tougher group and reave him for a detonation is pretty useful. It gives the class some much-needed biotic range. BEs everywhere.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

1st AD posted:

I'd rather do Plat/Cerb/Glacier. Missiles are a lot more valuable since the map is so small.

Are you on PC? Would like you to do some? Are you actually on my friends list but I never put your SA name with your origin name?

e: I got a good PSP.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

zxqv8 posted:

Are you on PC? Would like you to do some? Are you actually on my friends list but I never put your SA name with your origin name?

Weird. Wraiths are meant to be orange. Anyway, congrats on the Talon. Works on almost every class.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

zxqv8 posted:

I am, my Origin name is x1stad

Unfortunately I won't be on tonight, but I'm hoping to get some play time in tomorrow.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

What's the best/easiest way to farm Platinum?

Lagomorphic posted:

How to Farm Platinum on Firebase Glacier

If you're on 360 add me (Orthonormal) I've got no problem with first-timers. You can also find pubbie groups by searching for glacier/any/platinum they'll usually pick Geth but it's not a big difference.

zxqv8 posted:

Yes, yes you did.

subroc posted:

Weird. Wraiths are meant to be orange.

I got a Wraith upgrade this week and it was the same color. It used to show up correctly on the card but now it looks like an Eviscerator. Oh well it's a pretty mild bug by Bioware standards.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I got a Wraith upgrade this week and it was the same color. It used to show up correctly on the card but now it looks like an Eviscerator. Oh well it's a pretty mild bug by Bioware standards.
The multiplayer manifests list it as UR. Makes sense; in the SP, it's one of the most expensive weapons alongside the paladin and black widow. There are certainly worse URs (tohoho Javelin). It being only rare may have been the bug.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The multiplayer manifests list it as UR. Makes sense; in the SP, it's one of the most expensive weapons alongside the paladin and black widow. There are certainly worse URs (tohoho Javelin). It being only rare may have been the bug.

He means the coloration of the gun itself, on the card, not the rarity border. The thing above the barrel (and probably other bits, I don't remember) is black when it should be orange.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
The Wraith is based on the Eviscerator lore-wise. How much you want to bet the server-side images are labeled "evisc.png" and "eviscw.png" or something like that and they mixed them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It'd explain why the BW and Paladin cards have images of the Widow and Carnifex on them.

• Locked thread