Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

As another old metalhead, I find myself doing this regularly. Imagine stumbling across a gem like this when all that is being played on the radio or MTV is New Kids on the Block or Janet Jackson.

We had Headbanger's Ball on MTV ;)

I grew up in Atlanta, home to the Georgia Tech radio station and its awesome Wreckage metal show, which has been on as long as I can remember being into metal (mid-80's).

Still, my exposure was fairly limited because I was a little Metallica/Anthrax/Iron Maiden fanboy and rarely went outside the mainstream lines. I would have had my mind blown multiple times had I taken the time to explore a little beyond my narrow confines. It took a bit of effort tracking down obscurer poo poo before the internet.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Autotheism is pretty awesome in my opinion, reminds me of the shift made by The Ocean for Heliocentric/Anthropocentric and I haven't been able to stop listening to those two albums since their release. Autotheism will probably tide me over until the new Neurosis or Ocean albums drop this year. I guess in general I found what The Faceless could do with their sound and texture to be more interesting than their speed and technicality, I'm always looking for something with that extra spice so this fit the bill nicely. I guess I'll just ask then, is there anything else along these lines that people could point me to? I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

vanov posted:

I guess I'll just ask then, is there anything else along these lines that people could point me to? I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

Cult of Luna or even some of Jesu's catalog may float your boat if you're that avid a fan of Isis (R.I.P.).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

vanov posted:

Autotheism is pretty awesome in my opinion, reminds me of the shift made by The Ocean for Heliocentric/Anthropocentric and I haven't been able to stop listening to those two albums since their release. Autotheism will probably tide me over until the new Neurosis or Ocean albums drop this year. I guess in general I found what The Faceless could do with their sound and texture to be more interesting than their speed and technicality, I'm always looking for something with that extra spice so this fit the bill nicely. I guess I'll just ask then, is there anything else along these lines that people could point me to? I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

Rosetta, Intronaut

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I don't know why I neglected to mention Rosetta and Intronaut, but I'll definitely be giving Cult of Luna and Jesu a spin; I've heard their names too many times and haven't gotten around to it.

To share with the thread, Hacride - To Walk Among Them. Fans of the bands I and others have named should dig these guys.

vv Will do, thanks!

vanov fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 16, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

vanov posted:

I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

If These Trees Could Talk. Ignore the stupid, long, pretentious name. They rule.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
ITTCT are in fact awesome and reminded me of my love of Red Sparowes, so thank you for that!

I guess there isn't an avant-garde thread, but I need more stuff that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and The Book of Knots. This'll be my last request for a while, my collection just needs an injection of new poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

me your dad posted:

We had Headbanger's Ball on MTV ;)

Where I grew up we didn't have MTV. Rural Norway, no cable TV services extending to the area I lived in, one single broadcast TV station and two national radio channels, end of story. One of the radio channels had a one-hour weekly show which played hard rock and metal; I used to tape this show and listen to it several times in order to find new stuff I'd like.

quote:

It took a bit of effort tracking down obscurer poo poo before the internet.

Yeah. Word-of-mouth via friends (there was no metal scene either out in the sticks, or much of any other kind of music scene for that matter; I had maybe two or three friends that listened to metal), or pure dumb luck. One weekly hour on the radio, as mentioned. Also you could go in to town (which was not a big town) and browse through the albums at the record shop in hopes of finding something that looked and sounded cool (there was no specialty metal or rock shop but the generic record shops would sometimes carry stuff like Metallica or even Slayer, and any shop worth your business would make special orders for you once you knew what you wanted). While you were there you could pick up a magazine or two and read some album reviews and whatnot.

These days, feh, you can learn the name of a random band during breakfast and be halfway through their discography by lunchtime. :corsair:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Very amusing Watain interview but I really have problems believing this guy is for real..

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 17, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

SilverSmoke posted:

Very amusing Watain interview but I really have problems believing this guy is for real..

I think it's gently caress'in hilarious! It's not so much that Erik takes himself so very serious, but rather the fact that the media hangs on and over analyzes every word he says. Who gives a poo poo what type of toppings he orders on his pizza? He's playing most of interviewers for pure fools to their faces and they don't even have enough common sense to know it. Honestly, I think he's more offended to the fact that the band covering themselves in blood makes more of an impact on an audience than the great musical craftsmanship of the songs. I'd be sarcastic too if I had to do 40+ interviews a day and the first thing each one of them asked was, "Duurrrrr, what does the blood mean?" I mean, he's an artist. A great graphic artist as well! What's the point if you have to explain every single thing you do.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

vanov posted:

ITTCT are in fact awesome and reminded me of my love of Red Sparowes, so thank you for that!

I guess there isn't an avant-garde thread, but I need more stuff that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and The Book of Knots. This'll be my last request for a while, my collection just needs an injection of new poo poo.

I only make this recommendation because I kind of got into Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum at the same time but you might try listening to Estradasphere but more specifically a solo project their drummer did called The Deserts of Träun. You really need to hear the whole album but here's some songs from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTfwJ_4SGek&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azg5Y_cI31g

Estradasphere borders on being a bit music nerdy with their technicality and genre hoping but The Deserts of Träun really holds up well if you like some metal in your weirdness.

As far as Estradasphere goes I would give these albums a try: Buck Fever, Passion for Life and Quadropus. You definitely have to listen to full albums to get a sense of what they do.

Here's more info Eestradasphere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estradasphere

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention that a lot of this stuff is instrumental so...yeah.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 17, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I think it's gently caress'in hilarious! It's not so much that Erik takes himself so very serious, but rather the fact that the media hangs on and over analyzes every word he says. Who gives a poo poo what type of toppings he orders on his pizza? He's playing most of interviewers for pure fools to their faces and they don't even have enough common sense to know it. Honestly, I think he's more offended to the fact that the band covering themselves in blood makes more of an impact on an audience than the great musical craftsmanship of the songs. I'd be sarcastic too if I had to do 40+ interviews a day and the first thing each one of them asked was, "Duurrrrr, what does the blood mean?" I mean, he's an artist. A great graphic artist as well! What's the point if you have to explain every single thing you do.

Erik is entirely serious. He is an artist of course (both in terms of recording and visual), but that's entirely separate from what is basically his religious views. If he wanted to dismiss people entirely he'd just tell them to watch the drat DVD and walk off rather than waste his time answering questions that are of no interest to him.

I'm surprised how many people seem offended that an artist who proudly stands behind a banner of "gently caress all human life" actually believes in that sentiment. He's got a sense of the pantomime for sure (see the comment over the funeral pyre in years past), but he does genuinely believe in what he preaches.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

The Clit Avoider posted:

Erik is entirely serious. He is an artist of course (both in terms of recording and visual), but that's entirely separate from what is basically his religious views. If he wanted to dismiss people entirely he'd just tell them to watch the drat DVD and walk off rather than waste his time answering questions that are of no interest to him.

I'm surprised how many people seem offended that an artist who proudly stands behind a banner of "gently caress all human life" actually believes in that sentiment. He's got a sense of the pantomime for sure (see the comment over the funeral pyre in years past), but he does genuinely believe in what he preaches.

A deply religious person following his beliefs through to their logical conclusion. How ... novel.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
New announcements for MDF:

EXODUS
BENEDICTION (UK) - Exclusive US show!
IHSAHN (Norway) - Exclusive US show!
INIQUITY (Denmark) - Exclusive US show!
GLORIOR BELLI - Exclusive US show!

IHSAHN!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
At this rate I am running out of boxers to jizz in. Seriously.

I have been itching to see Iniquity ever since I discovered them when "Grime" came out, and now I will finally get my chance. gently caress yeah.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

vanov posted:

There really isn't anything that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. You're just not going to find it. That said, there is plenty of quality weird/heavy music out there.

Sebkha Chott (France):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSF_6hXJZ4

miRthkon (California):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LfStA_Jk8

You might like Ihsahn's wife's project Peccatum, too. Not even close to as weird, but it's not the kind of thing that'd normally show up in this thread.

Also Ephel Duath if you're not already aware of them...The Painter's Palette is a fantastic album from start to finish.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

The Clit Avoider posted:

I didn't get the vibe that the questions were of no interest to him. As a matter of fact, ours was the only interview that went for over 6 or 7 minutes, and probably the only one that didn't ask something silly about the blood and carcasses.

If you're going to make a living out of Satanism, expect questions about Satanism that are not of an rear end-kissing nature.

Finally, believing crazy violent poo poo and going through with it is not something that he should be proud of nor should you defend (maybe I misunderstood you though). There's nothing positive of having a poisonous idea and carrying on with it until the end.

Unless, of course, you are just waiting to see him go down in a blaze of glory.-

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 18, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Optimum Gulps posted:

There really isn't anything that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. You're just not going to find it. That said, there is plenty of quality weird/heavy music out there.

Sebkha Chott (France):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSF_6hXJZ4

miRthkon (California):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LfStA_Jk8

You might like Ihsahn's wife's project Peccatum, too. Not even close to as weird, but it's not the kind of thing that'd normally show up in this thread.

Also Ephel Duath if you're not already aware of them...The Painter's Palette is a fantastic album from start to finish.

Based on those links, I think you're completely correct on SGM/Book of Knots being sounds unto themselves :( The first two remind me of Unexpect and Diablo Swing Orchestra a little too much for my liking, though I definitely dig Peccatum and I'm going to have to give Emperor a try for that reason alone. We'll see about Ephel Duath. I do appreciate the effort though, I'm realizing now how daunting that must have been.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I always dreamed I'd be alive to post this album artwork.

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Optimum Gulps posted:

This is fantastic. I need more of this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoat posted:

I always dreamed I'd be alive to post this album artwork.

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time
I'm excited for this, but to keep things in perspective, Chinese Democracy was finished recording in 2000 before they pulled a Nathan Explosion and threw out the whole album.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Misogynist posted:

I'm excited for this, but to keep things in perspective, Chinese Democracy was finished recording in 2000 before they pulled a Nathan Explosion and threw out the whole album.

Duke Nukem Forever, et al.

At least the album art is terrible, that's usually a good sign when it comes to metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Non Serviam posted:

I didn't get the vibe that the questions were of no interest to him. As a matter of fact, ours was the only interview that went for over 6 or 7 minutes, and probably the only one that didn't ask something silly about the blood and carcasses.

If you're going to make a living out of Satanism, expect questions about Satanism that are not of an rear end-kissing nature.

Finally, believing crazy violent poo poo and going through with it is not something that he should be proud of nor should you defend (maybe I misunderstood you though). There's nothing positive of having a poisonous idea and carrying on with it until the end.

Unless, of course, you are just waiting to see him go down in a blaze of glory.-

I never said the questions were of no interest to him - I was saying he wouldn't have bothered answering them at all if they weren't, and as such his answers are 100% serious, not sarcastic replies for his own amusement. I thought my reply was very clear on that.

I wasn't really defending his viewpoint either, just expressing my surprise that anyone would be shocked that a member of a counter-culture, misanthropic, anti-humanist band would expressly support actions that run directly in concurrence with that mentality.

Bent Willy
Aug 3, 2011
Everyone with the Bathory boners... this is *not* me bagging Varg's contribution to metal, or the quality of his music at all. All great stuff, but it needs to be remembered half of the reason for the praise heaped on Bathory is the the *context* in which the music was made. There was nothing of it's ilk before. This is one of the biggest reasons Bathory love has been perpetuated through the ranks of black metal fans. It's a sub-cultural acknowledgement of the roots of the whole genre, and thus calling out "how loving good is Bathory" is like saying "yeah man, I was there from the start."

If we just altered time, and someone already else covered the same ground Bathory did when black metal was emerging, and Bathory's stuff was released in 2012 with some slicker production, I can almost guarantee that no one would pay even half as much attention. This is the sadness of the black metal paradigm as a whole. Anyone who denies the existence of the "older and more obscure is somehow of more musical/artistic merit" cliche within black metal is not only kidding themselves, but is also the biggest kind of poser--the exact kind of poser they are hoping to avoid being.

This is coming from a long-term black metal fan. I almost got an Abbath-mid-crabwalk tattoo on me once, before a good mate slapped sense into me. Serious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This just in, things only have meaning because of context.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, somehow I don't imagine that anti-war folk songs of the 1960s or the slavery-critical writings of Mark Twain would have had the same oomph if they were released today either.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bent Willy posted:

Everyone with the Bathory boners... this is *not* me bagging Varg's contribution to metal, or the quality of his music at all. All great stuff, but it needs to be remembered half of the reason for the praise heaped on Bathory is the the *context* in which the music was made. There was nothing of it's ilk before. This is one of the biggest reasons Bathory love has been perpetuated through the ranks of black metal fans. It's a sub-cultural acknowledgement of the roots of the whole genre, and thus calling out "how loving good is Bathory" is like saying "yeah man, I was there from the start."

If we just altered time, and someone already else covered the same ground Bathory did when black metal was emerging, and Bathory's stuff was released in 2012 with some slicker production, I can almost guarantee that no one would pay even half as much attention. This is the sadness of the black metal paradigm as a whole. Anyone who denies the existence of the "older and more obscure is somehow of more musical/artistic merit" cliche within black metal is not only kidding themselves, but is also the biggest kind of poser--the exact kind of poser they are hoping to avoid being.

This is coming from a long-term black metal fan. I almost got an Abbath-mid-crabwalk tattoo on me once, before a good mate slapped sense into me. Serious.

What does Varg have to do with Bathory?

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
That's not the point he's making.

It's fine to not like the pioneers of a genre. I'm sure Sad Wings of Destiny was the poo poo when it came out, but I can't rock out to it because I grew up with metal that was heavier, faster, and just all-around better in every department that makes metal awesome.

I can respect the Model T for breaking new ground, but I'm not gonna drive around in one and act like it handles as well as a modern car.

I am a little surprised that a long-term black metal fan would confuse Varg with Quorthon, though.
e:fb

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That is a terrible point to be making though.

Sad Wings of Destiny is still a fantastic album. Well written music is good no matter how old it is. If you don't like it, that's fine, that's just personal taste but I don't really hold with your assertion that metal now is better than metal then.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Well yeah, it is all a matter of personal taste, and I got the feeling that that was his main point.

Bent Willy posted:

Anyone who denies the existence of the "older and more obscure is somehow of more musical/artistic merit" cliche within black metal is not only kidding themselves, but is also the biggest kind of poser--the exact kind of poser they are hoping to avoid being.
It sounds like his actual problem is that he's been discussing metal with too many assholes. There definitely are turds who will call someone a tool for not liking old metal, but there are turds in every community. I'm just siding with his point that there's nothing wrong with your taste if the old stuff doesn't click with you.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

MrBling posted:

What does Varg have to do with Bathory?

That's what I was wondering. Do you mean Quorthon?

Bent Willy
Aug 3, 2011
Swear to God, I meant Burzum. I was thinking Burzum and writing Bathory. Bathory, Burzum, they both start with B, god drat it thats what I meant I was tired I'm sorry I'M SORRY :suicide:

Bent Willy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 18, 2012

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Bent Willy posted:

Swear to God, I meant Burzum. I was thinking Burzum and writing Bathory. Bathory, Burzum, they both start with B, god drat it thats what I meant I was tired I'm sorry I'M SORRY :suicide:

So THAT'S what happened to Dead...

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Optimum Gulps posted:

Just wanted to requote this because I got a chance to listen to it and it's the goddamned truth, this will soothe my SGM/BoK itch quite well and I thank you for that.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

vanov posted:

Just wanted to requote this because I got a chance to listen to it and it's the goddamned truth, this will soothe my SGM/BoK itch quite well and I thank you for that.

The Painter's Palette doesn't sound anything like SGM either, but it's another one of those absolutely unique albums. I believe the lineup at the time was a bunch of prog/metalheads in their early 20s and a 48-year-old jazz drumming instructor. Glad you like it!

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

BSchlang posted:

It's fine to not like the pioneers of a genre. I'm sure Sad Wings of Destiny was the poo poo when it came out, but I can't rock out to it because I grew up with metal that was heavier, faster, and just all-around better in every department that makes metal awesome.

Sad Wings of Destiny is loving awesome, I dont care how fast or heavy other bands can be.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I still think if Hvist Lyset Tar Oss was a 2012 release I'd love it. Same with Hammerheart or The Return. Besides why should we just forget about the context? These guys broke new ground! I've always been impressed mostly by how young many of the trailblazers were. The first four Burzum albums were recorded when Varg was 19! Bathory S/T and The Return when Quorthon was 18-19.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

AgentJotun posted:

I've always been impressed mostly by how young many of the trailblazers were. The first four Burzum albums were recorded when Varg was 19! Bathory S/T and The Return when Quorthon was 18-19.

This is what always get me, thinking loving teenagers were writing this kind of ground breaking music. When I think to what I was into when I was 18 I cringe.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Big Willy Style posted:

This is what always get me, thinking loving teenagers were writing this kind of ground breaking music. When I think to what I was into when I was 18 I cringe.

I always think of this when I listen to Decapitated's "Winds of Creation", which is a loving great album created by a bunch of teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

That track is fantastic and it's already one of my favorites of theirs. I'm surprised I'm not seeing more hype for the new album here. RIITIIR can't come fast enough.

It also has some kickass cover art: