Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kickstarter posted:

7,823 Backers
$273,227 pledged of $900,000 goal
28 days to go

Launched: Aug 15, 2012
Funding ends: Sep 14, 2012

:stare:

I do really enjoy that video, even if it is nothing but their ideas. Chipped in my 15$. Their website suggests five stretch goals, I figure they'll get at least one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Teledahn posted:

:stare:

I do really enjoy that video, even if it is nothing but their ideas. Chipped in my 15$. Their website suggests five stretch goals, I figure they'll get at least one of them.

I saw the video and immediately put down the 15 dollars. I have been waiting for a game like this my whole life.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

It's like I'm 8 years old and the world is a wonderful place again.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Not a week ago I was lamenting the fact that there wasn't a good "build a fuckload of units, smash them into another massive load of them" RTS in a long time. Total Annikilation is the RTS that taught me how to play RTSes (defend until you have a billion nukes and high-tier units then let loose) and any more of it is completely cool in my books. I've plopped down my cash.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

If you smash a moon into a planet and they both break up can you then continue the fight on the new asteroids?

Also, they say they don't have space combat yet you can add engines to an asteroid and fly it around. If you can do that then you can add engines AND point defense/artillery and basically have a rock based super carrier. Although it looks like the controls will be a bit rudimentary. Hopefully you will be able to order it into orbit at the very least. I will be super bummed if this feature gets cut.

Really though, I'll be happy if it boils down to clicking an asteroid and selecting "suicide base" and then selecting a target for when it's finished.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If planetary body engines get cut? I sincerely doubt that, since it seems to be an enormous hook in their video. If you mean creating a rock supercarrier, oh god I hope so. And if not, they appear to be supporting modding.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Allowing for that sort of ingenuity is classic TA/SupCom gameplay, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was cut. In SC you could load up a transport with basic shooty guys and make it a sort of ghetto gunship. This is just the next logical evolution of that idea.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thoom posted:

Allowing for that sort of ingenuity is classic TA/SupCom gameplay, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was cut. In SC you could load up a transport with basic shooty guys and make it a sort of ghetto gunship. This is just the next logical evolution of that idea.

Or flying transports with your commando on it over the enemy base, when it gets shot down, off goes the nuke. :) I smiled when I saw them put artillery on the moon and it rained down on the enemy base. It reminded me of my many TA LANs where my friends would put Big Berthas in the most obnoxious spots to pester me with.

Lexorin posted:

If you smash a moon into a planet and they both break up can you then continue the fight on the new asteroids?

Also, they say they don't have space combat yet you can add engines to an asteroid and fly it around. If you can do that then you can add engines AND point defense/artillery and basically have a rock based super carrier. Although it looks like the controls will be a bit rudimentary. Hopefully you will be able to order it into orbit at the very least. I will be super bummed if this feature gets cut.

Really though, I'll be happy if it boils down to clicking an asteroid and selecting "suicide base" and then selecting a target for when it's finished.

The entire basis of the game is interesting interactions between planets and other bodies in the solar system. I think that feature is there to stay, it's pretty much the impetus for them developing the game. No reason for getting scared of them cutting it.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
When I showed the kickstarter vid to a friend, pretty much his first reaction was "I hope you can build rocket boosters on other people's poo poo."

It's a pretty funny idea actually. Imagine sneaking a constructor onto another guy's planet and building a ton of boosters on an unoccupied part, along with some fixed defences. And then firing the boosters and launching the whole planet towards the sun as he frantically tries to wipe out your little base before his entire planet is incinerated.

EDIT: One of the developers has been posting comments on the kickstarter page and I noticed this which is nice:

quote:

Hey everyone,

We just wanted to drop a quick note about planet size. The engine is being built to have no upper limit other than memory and CPU when it comes to planet size. The planet we chose to show in the video is only one size and larger ones will be possible.

Which is good to see, as the planets are a little small.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo somebody just pledged 10k.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 17, 2012

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

LemonRind posted:

Planetary Annihilation: I'm from Buenos Aries, and I say kill em all

This needs to be the thread title.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't get the reference :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paul Verhoven's biting satire of the book Starship Troopers, the movie Starship Troopers. You should really fix that. Bring lots of popcorn and an appreciation for cheesy sci-fi. The second and third movies, or as I like to call them, The Gratuity Wars, can be safely ignored.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

w0o0o0o posted:

This needs to be the thread title.

Alright.

It's Starship Troopers. The bugs drop meteors on Earth and wipe out Buenos Aries, and the main character expresses his opinion on that. Don't worry, I've seen the movie like 3 times and I still had to google it to get it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw
That should explain things.
Edit: I'm dumb and had a tab open for two hours and forgot to hit post.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I saw the video and threw my money at them. If they can at least get the old feel of TA i'll be happy.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
That is amazing.

I'm a broke college student and even I am strongly considering donating. The art-style and scale of the game is simply incredible. It is shocking that this title is being made by an indie developer. Major publishers and devs better step up their game if they want to continue leading this industry.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
This made me want to go play TA again. I wonder if I can do that on Win7...

Donated.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well Total Annihilation IS on gog: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/total_anihilation_commander_pack

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

oogs posted:

This made me want to go play TA again. I wonder if I can do that on Win7...

Wait..wait hang on....

Is this a good idea? I think this might be a good idea. If there is this much love for TA, do we want to maybe get some goon-on-goon Total Annihilation nostalgia going? I would loving love to play a 2 v 2 game on a large map for a few hours over the weekend. With some booze and microphones. Should we make a new thread?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you get a TA itch, and are ok with supcom, go here.

http://www.faforever.com/

Fan made patch / lobby system where you can find the most active bits of the community. This works with the steam install and non steam installs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Could also try setting up Spring. Haven't fiddled with it for a while, but that's where I go for my annual TA fix.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

and are ok with supcom

I am not.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

sgnl05 posted:

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo somebody just pledged 10k.

Probably Notch, he apparently tweeted about the kickstarter and said he bought in (not for how much but given the odds...)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

drunkill posted:

Probably Notch, he apparently tweeted about the kickstarter and said he bought in (not for how much but given the odds...)

For fucks sake I hope it's not notch because he will demand something stupid like they add in a computer simulation and voxel physics to it with his 10k "help us design the game" privilege.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Ok folks - normally the rule is "don't make threads about Kickstarters until they're finished," but the rule bends a bit for the giant notable Kickstarters like this one. It's also pretty clear it's going to fund, without any real help from us.

So, thread's fine for the moment. However:

- Do not talk about stretch goals / pushing for that one last whatever. This needs to be a thread about the game only.
- Anyone begging anyone else to pitch in a dollar in this thread, from here on in, will be dealt with harshly.
- If you want to talk about the Kickstarter/funding aspects or otherwise yell at people to throw in money or not throw in money, head on over to the Kickstarter thread. Folks are already talking about it there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that the concept video is really close to actual gameplay. I get an almost TF2 style vibe from it and thats so cool.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Soule's been putting out mostly garbage for years so they should really just save their money on that. Or maybe just get him for the main theme and gamble that it's catchy.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

sgnl05 posted:

When I showed the kickstarter vid to a friend, pretty much his first reaction was "I hope you can build rocket boosters on other people's poo poo."

It's a pretty funny idea actually. Imagine sneaking a constructor onto another guy's planet and building a ton of boosters on an unoccupied part, along with some fixed defences. And then firing the boosters and launching the whole planet towards the sun as he frantically tries to wipe out your little base before his entire planet is incinerated.

I was also thinking last night about intercepting incoming asteroids. Scouted out the enemy's still-constructing thrusters? Build your own and smash your asteroid into his

God drat the possibilities for this game are endless and all so badass

edit: Research Super Thermal Suiting > Build Thrusters on the Sun :science:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sgnl05 posted:

I really REALLY want to see this being possible.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I'd like to see multiple asteroid bases whizzing around the system broadsiding each other with artillery and raiding parties.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I want to see two players seize a large asteroid, each building their own boosters on it and play tug of war with it, trying to send it into the others' planet.

Welp, kicked $50 dollars into the project. Progress!

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 17, 2012

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Wingless posted:

Wait..wait hang on....

Is this a good idea? I think this might be a good idea. If there is this much love for TA, do we want to maybe get some goon-on-goon Total Annihilation nostalgia going? I would loving love to play a 2 v 2 game on a large map for a few hours over the weekend. With some booze and microphones. Should we make a new thread?

I don't know about a new thread just for TA, but Neruz has an LP going, and BrooklynBruiser put up an IRC room for setting up games. We all keep going back to refresh the PA Kickstarter and stare at the video.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The name of my city is Buenos Aires, man. Aries is a zodiac sign.

TA is pretty cool, I remember sinking a lot of hours into it. A remake with new graphics sounds cool.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Sorry planeteers we have a forum wide rule against threads dedicated to games currently in kickstarter fund raising mode to help reduce cash grabs and marketing scams.

Once the kickstarter is finished you can make a thread for the game, but until then, keep it contained in the existing kickstarter thread here in games

Kickstarter thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379

WHOOPS - didn't the see the pow wow about this, but you guys gotta clear this stuff with a mod first next time gosh darn it!

This game looks neat btw, I backed it.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 18, 2012

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Shalinor posted:

- Do not talk about stretch goals / pushing for that one last whatever. This needs to be a thread about the game only.

I'm totally cool with not encouraging donations or any of that in here, but can we talk about the stretch goals insofar as they're possible features and as such are related to the game itself? Not trying to be difficult or anything, but if one of the stretch goals was for say... naval combat or something it seems like it'd be a bit weird if we couldn't even mention that and discuss it here, just because it was a stretch goal.

I guess it's a slippery slope sort of thing, but honestly I'm not even interested in kickstarter so much as I'm interested in this one particular game, and I don't really want to split my posting on it between two threads. But if them's the breaks, sure.

Pochoclo posted:

The name of my city is Buenos Aires, man. Aries is a zodiac sign.

Whoops. I live on the other side of the world and don't know about these things. I just copied and pasted the title into the PM.

Drone_Fragger posted:

For fucks sake I hope it's not notch because he will demand something stupid like they add in a computer simulation and voxel physics to it with his 10k "help us design the game" privilege.

I'm pretty sure it's Notch, and if it is then I'm glad because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that. If it was just some random with too much money, then I would be worried.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

sgnl05 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Notch, and if it is then I'm glad because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that. If it was just some random with too much money, then I would be worried.

You're talking about the guy who saw Skyrim trailers and immediately switched gears to add a crappy dragon to his game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sgnl05 posted:

...because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that.

I'll happily be the first guy to step up and yell at people when "Notch is the Antichrist of video game design promises" entitlement starts going around, but uh. No, he really doesn't. For all that he's done, he's a kid with the key to the candy shop counters.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 18, 2012

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
To be honest I haven't actually played minecraft so I'll have to take your word for it. He must have done something right though, given minecraft's success.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

sgnl05 posted:

I'm totally cool with not encouraging donations or any of that in here, but can we talk about the stretch goals insofar as they're possible features and as such are related to the game itself? Not trying to be difficult or anything, but if one of the stretch goals was for say... naval combat or something it seems like it'd be a bit weird if we couldn't even mention that and discuss it here, just because it was a stretch goal.

I guess it's a slippery slope sort of thing, but honestly I'm not even interested in kickstarter so much as I'm interested in this one particular game, and I don't really want to split my posting on it between two threads. But if them's the breaks, sure.
You can talk about how naval combat could work, and how awesome it is.

You can not talk about the fact that oh man we get Naval Combat if we just pitch in $300k more! or so on. Because then this thread devolves into... blugh. Take that chat to the Kickstarter thread.

EDIT: VV Pfft, ships. I'm just going to glue a cockpit to an asteroid and stuff a dude in there, and call it a day. :colbert:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'll only talk about naval combat if seaships are actually spaceships at the same time. :colbert:

• Locked thread