Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

So I bought the retro triad DLC for Sleeping Dogs, but it's not showing up in the game, not in the list of other DLC that I have unlocked, nor in the world itself. I tried redownloading from the store, but still no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some way of giving it a kick so that it shows up?

Did you buy it from the US store? Because iirc you got it a day early from Hong Kong and the regions might not match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

axleblaze posted:

Did you buy it from the US store? Because iirc you got it a day early from Hong Kong and the regions might not match up.

I ... did, yes. It's actually a PAL copy of the game, and I had to create a euro account to use the DLC codes they included with it. Didn't think the DLC would be an issue, what with the PS3 being able to have content from multiple accounts going at once.

So, does PS3 DLC absolutely positively need to match the region of the game then? Because that would be annoying. With PS+ and all that, I was leaning towards making my PS3 my main console for new purchases over my Xbox. If I have to start ducking and diving as regards locking myself out of DLC then hmmm.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Parkingtigers posted:

I ... did, yes. It's actually a PAL copy of the game, and I had to create a euro account to use the DLC codes they included with it. Didn't think the DLC would be an issue, what with the PS3 being able to have content from multiple accounts going at once.

So, does PS3 DLC absolutely positively need to match the region of the game then? Because that would be annoying. With PS+ and all that, I was leaning towards making my PS3 my main console for new purchases over my Xbox. If I have to start ducking and diving as regards locking myself out of DLC then hmmm.

DLC has to be bought from the region the game you're playing it is on, but once installed you can play said DLC on any account (barring online passes)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah the dlc needs to match the region of the game. PAL games need dlc fromt eh PAL store. However you can buy dlc with your PAL account and it'll be usuable on every account on the PS3.

e:f;b.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Well cock. I'll just have to be more careful in future. Always a bit of a lottery here as they sell games from all regions. On Xbox I have the worry that if I ever move away from Hong Kong, not that I want to, that I'd not be able to access the LIVE! region that I bought my stuff from. PS3 is better as my digital stuff I could access from anywhere in the world. Just making things match when I buy physical stuff is the issue.

Still, 2 bucks to learn my lesson. Better to know now rather than later. Thanks for squaring that up for me guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sleeping Dogs is still good, but I now know what the special something that it doesn't have that Yakuza does is: in Sleeping Dogs, when you beat up random people on a street corner, it seems to be for no reason other than that they are there, or maybe guarding a lockbox or something that you want. When you do it in Yakuza, it is to teach them MANLY JUSTICE!

edit: oh, and the pause screen always says "the social hub service is not available, please try again later", is that the same for everyone? I can't tell what it would do anyway though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 16, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I put Kingdoms of Amalur aside for a bit while I was doing my MGS4 trophy run. Played a little of it just now and it's really hitting me that Amalur really is terrible. I'm gonna power through it, though.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Speaking of MGS ... I just saw a video of Revegenanceries. :v: what the crap .. Can't they just keep the MGS magic going without Kojima ???!?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I'm playing through MGS4 just like everyone else but why is the bike chase so hard? :smithicide: At least its smooth sailing after that. Edit: At least the game know how to make you feel better, Raging Raven went down in 2 shots. Oh Railgun...

Dvlos posted:

Speaking of MGS ... I just saw a video of Revegenanceries. :v: what the crap .. Can't they just keep the MGS magic going without Kojima ???!?

Nothing in Revengance looks out of place in a MGS game except for the gameplay so idk what your complaint is.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 16, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sleeping Dogs is still good, but I now know what the special something that it doesn't have that Yakuza does is: in Sleeping Dogs, when you beat up random people on a street corner, it seems to be for no reason other than that they are there, or maybe guarding a lockbox or something that you want. When you do it in Yakuza, it is to teach them MANLY JUSTICE!

edit: oh, and the pause screen always says "the social hub service is not available, please try again later", is that the same for everyone? I can't tell what it would do anyway though.

The social hub is up and down like a yoyo. Last night it even claimed to be online but wouldn't show me friend scores, only global. When it is online, it's a lot of fun. It tracks your scores in missions and challenges, and then compares them to people on your friend list. I really like the way it does this on the fly, so if you start doing a wheelie then it'll pop up with the "time to beat" in the lower right of the screen showing the name and time of the highest ranked person on your friend list.

I really want more PS3 goons with Sleeping Dogs to add me. Trying to beat each others times and scores gives it a little friends competition. I even deliberately ignored the GPS to stay on the main road one time as I was racking up a mighty wheelie time for you buggers to try and beat.

ParkingtigersX on PSN, add me you fools.

Oh, and nearly 14 hours in and I just hit 25% completion because I'm taking it slow and focusing on side stuff and having a blast. I tried out the police protection DLC mission where you ride shotgun in a cop car on th freeway. It's just "hey, here's an assault rifle, take out the bad bastards who are chasing you. Making cars and bikes explode and flip was ridiculously good fun. So outrageously over the top, it's totally different from the realism of the combat, but at the same time it feels perfect.

This game. :allears:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

...! posted:

I put Kingdoms of Amalur aside for a bit while I was doing my MGS4 trophy run. Played a little of it just now and it's really hitting me that Amalur really is terrible. I'm gonna power through it, though.

The prevailing word surrounding this game is 'mediocre', which I can agree with. I'm playing a rogue and having a blast though so maybe I just have high tolerance for that kind of stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The characters and setting are just so obnoxious to me, so very obnoxious. The combat being totally competent just isn't enough to balance it out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

ParkingtigersX on PSN, add me you fools.

Ask and ye shall recieve. sickly17 on PSN!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think ParkingTigers is my only PSN friend with Sleeping Dogs, so I'm 1st or 2nd in just about every challenge that I've found. Please add me as well.

PSN: Leland_Rodriguez

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll have it tomorrow when UK release schedules finally catch up. :argh: StelasEldrasia@PSN.

Polite Tim posted:

The prevailing word surrounding this game is 'mediocre', which I can agree with. I'm playing a rogue and having a blast though so maybe I just have high tolerance for that kind of stuff.

Amalur is okay if you're the sort of person who likes systematically hoovering up areas or if you can deal with ignoring any sidequest and location that isn't directly involved in a story or faction quest. Otherwise, there's just too much world and not enough varied gameplay to hold your attention. If you are, it's a good game to fire up every so often and beat some crap up.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I got Amalur for $15 and I've been getting $15 worth of enjoyment out of it. Mediocre is definitely the most accurate word I can think of to describe it. If it had come out as a handheld game I think it'd be better, but that could just be because I don't have any action RPGs on my Vita. I dunno if I'll make it the whole way through (I'm 15 hours in and just left the first region) but until I decide to go out and get Sleeping Dogs it'll have to do.

Danthrax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 16, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So gently caress Ubisoft.

quote:

Rayman Legends will be exclusive to the Wii U console, according to a trailer released today at Gamescom.

The promotional trailer for Ubisoft's upcoming platformer, slated to be released later this year, shows all the ways players will be able to interact with the game world using the Wii U controller pad before ending with the screen: "Coming Christmas 2012, exclusively on Wii U". Ubisoft confirmed that this is true.

I like Rayman Origins, but not it's not a buy a new loving console for it's sequel like.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SpacePig posted:

I think ParkingTigers is my only PSN friend with Sleeping Dogs, so I'm going to eventually be1st or2nd in just about every challenge that I've found.

Fixed that for you.

Added you Stelas, and I'm going to enjoy having scores to beat from all of you. The mission replay option (hell yes) and the scoring for each one means there are lots of ways to get competitive in this game.

It's on like Hongky Kong.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Parkingtigers posted:

Fixed that for you.

Added you Stelas, and I'm going to enjoy having scores to beat from all of you. The mission replay option (hell yes) and the scoring for each one means there are lots of ways to get competitive in this game.

It's on like Hongky Kong.

Unless you've beaten me in the quiet of the night, I still have 1st in longest motorcycle jump and highspeed run, so there. <:mad:>

I still can't get more than a minute on the clean run, though, and that's on the highway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine is like 2:30 Clean Drive. It's easy, I did it driving back from a mission.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

axleblaze posted:

So gently caress Ubisoft.

I like Rayman Origins, but not it's not a buy a new loving console for it's sequel like.

Ubisoft generally make dumb decisions when it comes to making games exclusive. I imagine that they'll eventually port it to PS3 and 360 once the Wii U version fails to sell a worthwhile amount of copies.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SpacePig posted:

Unless you've beaten me in the quiet of the night, I still have 1st in longest motorcycle jump and highspeed run, so there. <:mad:>

I still can't get more than a minute on the clean run, though, and that's on the highway.

Pick a slow car like a Gopher (one of those boxy people carriers). Top speed will qualify you for clean run, but you'll only slowly advance on the traffic ahead of you. Stick to the ring road going around the island and two minutes is easily achievable for the trophy.

My social hub wasn't showing me any friend times last night, so once I finish making my fingers hurt in the new bass DLC for Rocksmith (which is awesome by the way), I'm going to get back in and see if I can start toppling some stats.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Make Rainbow Six Vegas 3 already, Ubisoft.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Harlock posted:

They are, and it's basically Rainbox Six vs. Occupy Wall Street :stare:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I agree. Yakuza is all about the way of the samurai and despite the characters being part of the seedy underworld they show valor, honor, and respect which establishes that the Japanese mafia can sometimes play a positive role in society. In Yakuza, you help people out of the goodness of your heart and they give you rewards or you gain experience points for lending a hand.

So far Wei and everyone else in Sleeping Dogs are pieces of poo poo but I guess that's like the GTA games as it justifies the player choosing to act like a sociopath.

It's still a great game though but Yakuza has a special place in my heart :allears:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Harlock posted:

or make a game that's tactical and strategic again, Ubisoft.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

...! posted:

Yeah, Amalur wasn't all that good in retrospect. Dragon's Dogma did everything Amalur did about a hundred times better with better graphics and even a more engaging questline, albeit what little there is to follow.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Stelas posted:

or if you can deal with ignoring any sidequest and location that isn't directly involved in a story or faction quest.

This is what I've ended up doing. The main problems with this game in my mind are:

1) Way too many loving quests. I guess it gets props for the amount of content, but I'd rather have quality than quantity. I'm now ignoring all quests that aren't in one of the major questlines.

2) The storyline and the NPCs are boring as hell. I don't know (and at this point I don't care) what's going on. I only talk to NPCs who are related to quests and even with those NPCs I skip all the dialog. It's just so bland.

3) I've set the game to Hard and I'm ignoring most quests and yet I still feel overpowered most of the time. I don't want the difficult to be crushing but I would appreciate it if it was at least challenging.

It's not unplayable but it's not terribly fun either. Yet I feel compelled to finish it, mainly out of curiosity of whether it gets any harder at all.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did anyone like the Bloodrayne PSN game? The controls are real clunky and you get stuck inside animations. I'm not button mashing, but when I want to hit a guy right next to me, she goes into some sort of spin animation that doesn't really do anything but not hit the guy I want to hit. It just feels bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Did anyone like the Bloodrayne PSN game? The controls are real clunky and you get stuck inside animations. I'm not button mashing, but when I want to hit a guy right next to me, she goes into some sort of spin animation that doesn't really do anything but not hit the guy I want to hit. It just feels bad.

It's a great game, but you really can't button mash or even just pound attack. Take a look at the move list, see what every move does, and make sure you're using the right move at the right time. IF you're going into a weird animation it is because you pulled off the wrong move. The goal of the game is to chain the combos together to get long explosion combos that kill enemies quickly. Try watching some videos on Youtube if you're still having trouble.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I deleted it after two chapters because the controls seemed sluggish for exactly the same reason. For example if I pressed square three times, but needed to run or jump out of the way mid combo because someone was about to shoot me from behind, I felt like I should have been able to cancel those moves right away in favor of dodging. I didn't look at the move list though, I just kinda noticed pressing square and different directions does different attacks. I figured there would be a tutorial for to introduce you to moves instead of just saying square attacks and X jumps.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I got that Bloodrayne game in a share and hated it. The controls were just way too sluggish. If I press a button to attack then I want my character to attack right now, not three seconds from now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You people hating on the Bloodrayne game are pretty much crazy. The game is pretty much the Dishwasher combined with Donkey Kong Country. It's awesome. I mean sluggish controls? What game are you playing? I just fired it up to see if I was misremembering, but no, I pressed an attack button and instantly attacked and I was soon launching people in the air, juggling them and shooting down their corpses. I mean, yes you can't cancel a single animation to dodge, but most brawlers play that way. It's not like the attacks go on that long and the second you see an enemy pulling out his gun, you should be shooting him first.

Really the games combat is like Arkham. You can get through it by mashing attack but you'll get a lovely ranking and barely survive. If you do it right you can kill an entire room of enemies in one big combo. You just need to know what your attacks actually do and when to use them.

Then there's the platforming elements which get insane, and as indicated earlier, rival some of the crazier poo poo from the last DKC. I mean there's a fight you have to do while bouncing on the heads of four regenerating enemies.

Plus, how can anyone hate a game that has a code that changes the soundtrack into an 8-bit version of itself?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I'm just used to Shank 2, where you can slash and dash about, canceling combos instantly to pounce on an enemy across the room, without breaking a sweat. If I had paid for the game, and didn't get it for free, I would probably give more of a poo poo on a boring Thursday afternoon. I never said I hated it or would never play it again. But when I hit attack, it just seems to take too long to jump or move again, and that really put me off when I'm being pelted by mosquitoes and electric frogs. Yes it felt sluggish, like I was fighting the controls.

If it's like Arkham Asylum, it definitely doesn't have the mobility of the game, or I'm not good at it yet. But like I said, I played two chapters, and got annoyed. I didn't even know there was a move list. I expect a little more information than "this button attacks, and this button jumps," in a game trying so hard to be a fighting game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will admit the game takes a little bit to get going. The first few levels are pretty flat so they don't really emphasize the platforming and enemy placement elements of the combat. Your ground combo isn't great, but that's mainly because most of what you can do from it is launch enemies in the air, where you can keep them for a while if you know what you're doing. The combat is pretty fun once you figure it out and once they start adding traps (anything in the environment that can hurt you can also hurt the enemy) it gets fantastic. Because of the traps this might be one of the only games I've ever played with a great elevator level (the Dishwasher also had a pretty good elevator level though).

There is one awesome thing you can do from the beginning that the game doesn't tell you about until way later. If you grab an and just suck their blood for a second, they'll turn green. If you hold triangle the green enemies will explode, taking down anyone near them. Doing this pretty much has no downside other than the second you're open while draning them.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Ah, so that's why enemies turn green when I've made a lite snack out of their neck. I can tell there's quite a bit of depth to the game, I just like when games are more accessible (or more specifically, give you an in-game tutorial). I could have easily clicked on the How To Play menu, I just take the way most games do it for granted.

Oh, and Arkham Asylum even let's you cancel out just about any move to a dodge, or different move. Shank 2 and Arkham Asylum are two of my favorite brawlers that let you do this, I can't remember any others I've played recently that don't. The other free PS+ game this month, Outland, allows you to jump/dodge cancel moves too. I'll shut up about it now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a crucial little bit in the controls for Darksiders 2 that they utterly hosed up. Like in the first game, there are time bombs that you have to quickly pick up and throw at things. However, this time, the bombs are physics'd and roll away if you run into them, with the apparent density of beach balls (a common problem in most games with a physics engine). They have to be stationary for you to get the prompt to pick them up, or you can mash circle all day and you won't do it. It's making this otherwise simple as hell boss fight absolutely infuriating, just trying to chase down bombs that I kicked away by accident, until they blow up in my face.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 17, 2012

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a crucial little bit in the controls for Darksiders 2 that they utterly hosed up. Like in the first game, there are time bombs that you have to quickly pick up and throw at things. However, this time, the bombs are physics'd and roll away if you run into them, with the apparent density of beach balls (a common problem in most games with a physics engine). They have to be stationary for you to get the prompt to pick them up, or you can mash circle all day and you won't do it. It's making this otherwise simple as hell boss fight absolutely infuriating, just trying to chase down bombs that I kicked away by accident, until they blow up in my face.

I know you're complaining and that's totally reasonable one, but the visual of Death chasing after a bomb as he keeps kicking it further away with his big honking feet makes me cackle.

Also re; Bloodrayne. While I'm enjoying the game and finally have a good feel for the combat, I really really wish there was a way to jump higher other than just the backflip. It made the bit after the elevator in stage 4 such a pain in the rear end when it would have been so simple if I could have just wall jumped a bit.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
So I bought Sleeping Dogs today, which makes it the first new game I've bought in a long long time. My psn name is candy_barz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like Sleeping Dogs but its just going to take some getting used to to not end every mission with around 1 section of Police XP. For those who haven't played it yet, you have two different types of experience from missions, Triad which goes up from defeating enemies and Police, which goes DOWN the more laws you break (hitting civilian cars, jacking rides or injuring/killing civilians.) Thankfully you only have to worry about that during missions and in freeplay you can screw around as much as you want with no penalty.

Another thing that I found weird about the game is that apparently it takes place in 2010? At least all the supplemental case files and such seem to say so.

• Locked thread