Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
You realize that every link that has an ellipsis in it is broken, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thanks for the heads up, working now.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It looks like every new model Nvidia card comes with a free copy of Borderlands 2, so if you were going to buy that anyways then the card is $240.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yaos posted:

It looks like every new model Nvidia card comes with a free copy of Borderlands 2, so if you were going to buy that anyways then the card is $240.

You're assuming it's a game worth 60 dollars ;)

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Yeah especially when the mid-tier value buyer is going to be the same guy that'd wait for a steam sale

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810

Bought this today, did I do good?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

I'm looking at that one too, I don't like the blower cooler but the warranty is unparalleled and transferable. I'm still rocking a 4770 card with a sandy bridge cpu so this would be one hell of an upgrade. But.. My... budget... :ughh:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'm pretty happy that the 660Ti looks like a great deal, but at the same time nothing big enough to make me regret buying a 7950 a while back.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I'm looking at that one too, I don't like the blower cooler but the warranty is unparalleled and transferable. I'm still rocking a 4770 card with a sandy bridge cpu so this would be one hell of an upgrade. But.. My... budget... :ughh:

Get a 560Ti, then. It still rocks the socks of any 1080p display and is right around the $200 mark right now, and often hits $180-$190 on sale.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The 660Ti looks pretty unappealing to me.

-The RAM controller is asymmetrical and can not interleave. Meaning essentially it is 1.5GB high performance RAM + 512MB practically thrown in for looks, it is not a true 2GB card. It is possible they can optimize the performance of that 512MB in drivers in the future though.

-Most reviews are running FSAA and not true MSAA, skewing numbers toward the 660Ti because true MSAA is much more demanding on memory

-Most reviews are running Factory-OC'd cards to review with, comparing them to stock ATI cards. They don't even adjust the clock rates downward to stock. 660Ti does not have much OC headroom, whereas 40% overclocks with ATI cards are not unheard of.

Personally I think the 7950 at $330 or even an overclocked 7870 ($270 range) are much better values.

Also why get a $300 card that is best ran on 1080P 4x FSAA when a 560Ti for $100 less can do the same? This card is overkill for 1080P but not good enough for 1440P.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

InstantInfidel posted:

Get a 560Ti, then. It still rocks the socks of any 1080p display and is right around the $200 mark right now, and often hits $180-$190 on sale.

Used 580s are also hitting the 200$ mark now too. I figure if you're not buying a current generation card you might as well get a used one because the market's going to get flooded with them, pushing down prices.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

Thanks, this seems like a reasonable suggestion. I'm on 1920x1200 right now though, so my situation is a little bit complicated. I'd like to get smooth performance in modern games this year at native resolution - stuff like Tribes and Witcher 2 and especially Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2. The transferable warranty is important to me because I plan to resell and move away from gaming as a hobby as part of a lifestyle shift when I relocate in ~6 months.

How much of a IQ/effects sacrifice would I be making if I went with a 560ti?

edit:
580 used, interesting suggestion!

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 16, 2012

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

I don't know, but I hope so, I just bought the same one!

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Where can people safely buy/sell used video cards? ebay? craigslist?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I usually feel safest buying from various forums, from people with well over the minimum required to sell there.

I just installed this 670 with Gigabytes dual 100mm fan cooler and it's amazingly quiet, combined with the Noctua D14 CPU heatsink the computer is eerily quiet. The noise reduction from a pair of overclocked 8800 GTXes is the single best thing about the upgrade.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I only game at 1080p so the memory issue shouldnt be too much of an issue of any with me. the Anand reviews seemed to show the 1080 tests doing really well.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
What's the deal with factory-overclocked cards? Can't you just overclock it that little bit yourself, assuming you've got good airflow? I understand that fancier heatsinks mean you can go higher, but is the clock increase alone just a marketing gimmick or something?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Cryolite posted:

What's the deal with factory-overclocked cards? Can't you just overclock it that little bit yourself, assuming you've got good airflow? I understand that fancier heatsinks mean you can go higher, but is the clock increase alone just a marketing gimmick or something?

Ideally they're pre-binned to ensure that they will perform at the stated specifications, which usually includes a reasonable voltage as well as the given overclock, a guarantee you never have with stock stuff. However, with the advanced power management and boost clock that this generation has introduced, it's harder for factories to test overclocks before they send them out, resulting, in some cases, in whole SKU recalls because they ended up being unreliable to the point of basically false advertising.

I'm sure the most reputable makers (the ones that we recommend) have done quite a lot of work to determine how to efficiently test the cards now that they've had them long enough to get to know how making 'em goes. And sometimes it's this or that criterion that's out of spec, you never know - what if the GTX 670 SC you picked up would have been a GTX 670 FTW or Classified, except it required too much voltage to get the clock and they weren't willing to ship that part? Then you get it in and raise the voltage (and fan speed :v:) yourself, and so long as you're within the TDP you may be able to get it up to those higher speeds without any issues.

Or you may not. The factory OC is a guarantee (hopefully trustworthy) that it will perform as stated. Overclocking it yourself is a gamble. Tell me... Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I'm building myself a new PC and I'm looking at a 660 Ti. It's been a while, though — the last time I bought a discrete GPU, ATI and nVidia were making them themselves. Are there any particular brands to avoid or prefer?

I'm looking mainly at these three: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5E14-127-696-TS

I'm leaning toward the Zotac, mostly because it's so compact and I'm looking to put it in a mITX case. I have room for those other cards, but more space is always better in such a cramped situation, and reviews have it running pretty drat cool too. However, a friend claims they have 'lovely driver support' and that I should go with eVGA. I don't really like the eVGA 660 Ti's blower cooler, though.

If Zotac isn't to be trusted, I like the MSI next. It's clocked faster than the other two and I like the cooler design. The Asus has a better warranty on it, though.

Thoughts?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Zotac is kind of a giant question mark on these forums. They're clearly pushing the envelope with some of their designs and aggressively positioning themselves as top-tier Nvidia partners, but we've been waiting for a deluge of Goon anecdotes before recommending them, and so Goons have bought other guys based on what we do recommend.

For what it's worth, Zotac's barebones PCs are highly regarded in the A/V Arena HTPC thread, Zotac has some corporate connection to Sapphire, which is a recommended brand (albeit AMD-only, the way Zotac is Nvidia-only), and I've got a Zotac H55 ITX board in my HTPC that's not misbehaving. v:shobon:v

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

nVidia only releases PhysX demos when a game's physics are pretty outstanding. But I think this time they've really outdone themselves. Borderlands 2 CPU PhysX versus GPU PhysX demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

NOW WHO IS THE IDIOT WITH TOO MUCH GRAPHICS CARD GOING ON, DOGEN?!

Well, it's still me, but I'm gonna be getting my best-so-far PhysX on while shooting things so eat it :mad:

:qq:

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Zotac is kind of a giant question mark on these forums. They're clearly pushing the envelope with some of their designs and aggressively positioning themselves as top-tier Nvidia partners, but we've been waiting for a deluge of Goon anecdotes before recommending them, and so Goons have bought other guys based on what we do recommend.

For what it's worth, Zotac's barebones PCs are highly regarded in the A/V Arena HTPC thread, Zotac has some corporate connection to Sapphire, which is a recommended brand (albeit AMD-only, the way Zotac is Nvidia-only), and I've got a Zotac H55 ITX board in my HTPC that's not misbehaving. v:shobon:v

I bet a majority of people who don't like Zotac got burned on rebates for video cards. I know someone who will talk poo poo about Zotac, but the video card is working fine. He just got stiffed for ten bucks or so.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I do plan on trying Batman once I get this card and my 460 gtx running PhysX only

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
660 Ti feels very meh to me after looking at the reviews. I'd pick it up if I wanted Borderlands 2, but it's priced too close to the 7950. I bet Nvidia will get the early adopters and then quickly drop it to $275 to knock the 7850/7870 around.

Edit: Wait, reviews comparing overclocked 660 Ti to stock 7870? That's not a great comparison. Also, Tom's has starkly different benches, stating 660Ti is equal to 7870.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 17, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Anecdote away -- I've had a Zotac 8800GT that's been running stable and performing great for going on 5 years now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cryolite posted:

Where can people safely buy/sell used video cards? ebay? craigslist?

I can only speak for OCAU but I assume most US based PC enthusiast websites would be about the same.

I've bought and resold my last 3 video cards (4870, 5870, GTX580) from people who simply must upgrade to the latest thing.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Allaniis posted:

660 Ti feels very meh to me after looking at the reviews. I'd pick it up if I wanted Borderlands 2, but it's priced too close to the 7950. I bet Nvidia will get the early adopters and then quickly drop it to $275 to knock the 7850/7870 around.

Edit: Wait, reviews comparing overclocked 660 Ti to stock 7870? That's not a great comparison. Also, Tom's has starkly different benches, stating 660Ti is equal to 7870.
Toms is the only one who did a fair review I feel. They used MSAA and reference clock rates on all cards. It is very competitive with the 7870 and at stock clock rates I would say it beats it out slightly, but you have some web sites claiming this card is a 7950 killer which is just plain wrong. Crank up the resolution/MSAA and it falls far behind.

The problem is that value-wise, the 7870 has always been either bad or mediocre (overclocking a 7850 being far better value). It is just priced too closely to the 7950 to be worth the downgrade.

I wish they didn't give this card a 192-bit memory bus :( 256 and symmetrical RAM probably would have made it too competitive with the 670 though and cannibalized the market like the 670 did to the 680.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Wasn't impressed enough with the 660 ti.. Computer shop here in town had only the EVGA 660 ti for $299, so I grabbed the Gigabyte 670 on sale for $370. Amazing cooler on it, and a goddamn beast at 1680x1050x75 :D. Will prolly upgrade to a 27" in the next year or so.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I might be the only one, but I wish more cards around the $300 pricepoint went with aftermarket coolers that were fatter rather than longer. I would gladly sacrifice 3-4 slots for much quieter cooler if they could keep the length under 8" like the reference boards.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 17, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Chuu posted:

I might be the only one, but I wish more cards around the $300 pricepoint went with aftermarket coolers that were fatter rather than longer. I would gladly sacrifice 3-4 slots for much better/quieter cooler if they could keep the length under 8" like the reference boards.

With the increasing popularity of smaller cases such as microATX and mini-ITX that tend to have fewer numbers of expansion slots, this would not be a good idea for the most part.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

octoroon posted:

With the increasing popularity of smaller cases such as microATX and mini-ITX that tend to have fewer numbers of expansion slots, this would not be a good idea for the most part.

This is actually exactly why I want them. I have a fairly powerful system in a mATX case, with two x1 PCI-E slots below the x16 that I have no need for. I'd gladly give them up to get a top end video card in the system.

On the other hand, there is simply no way a 10-12" card is going to ever fit.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Chuu posted:

This is actually exactly why I want them. I have a fairly powerful system in a mATX case, with two x1 PCI-E slots below the x16 that I have no need for. I'd gladly give them up to get a top end video card in the system.

On the other hand, there is simply no way a 10-12" card is going to ever fit.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't have included microATX in that. It's actually only a problem with mini-ITX, which (almost?) never has more than two expansion slots.

Finger
Sep 10, 2001

E N O U G H !

Agreed posted:

nVidia only releases PhysX demos when a game's physics are pretty outstanding. But I think this time they've really outdone themselves. Borderlands 2 CPU PhysX versus GPU PhysX demo:

Is this GPU PhysX versus CPU PhysX, or do you mean GPU PhysX versus, well, nothing?

edit: I get where you're seeing that with the side-by-side comparisons, but I'm betting they mean basically just hardware PhysX versus nothing at all.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If the 660Ti is so memory-bottlenecked, then why do none of the factory overclocked cards come with a memory overclock?

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You can overclock the memory interface/bandwidth?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes.

td4guy posted:

If the 660Ti is so memory-bottlenecked, then why do none of the factory overclocked cards come with a memory overclock?

The Zotac 660 Ti AMP! that was part of AnandTech's roundup has a 10% overclock, to 6.6 GHz. Usually it was the best performer, too, though in some games Gigabytes model with the same (high) core clocks and no memory overclock beat it out, presumably because there was more TDP available for boost clocking.

E:

Meta Ridley posted:

Toms is the only one who did a fair review I feel. They used MSAA and reference clock rates on all cards. It is very competitive with the 7870 and at stock clock rates I would say it beats it out slightly, but you have some web sites claiming this card is a 7950 killer which is just plain wrong. Crank up the resolution/MSAA and it falls far behind.

Not to poo poo on Tom's, but who are you reading that "turning on MSAA during benchmarking" and "including reference clock rates" is some kind of miracle feature of tech journalism?

quote:

I wish they didn't give this card a 192-bit memory bus :( 256 and symmetrical RAM probably would have made it too competitive with the 670 though and cannibalized the market like the 670 did to the 680.

The asymmetry only affects bandwidth/performance if the last 512MB is being used. In most games, it's not. In fact, most games were very likely not reaching as far as 1.5GB of VRAM in the first place.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 17, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Agreed posted:

NOW WHO IS THE IDIOT WITH TOO MUCH GRAPHICS CARD GOING ON, DOGEN?!

Well, it's still me, but I'm gonna be getting my best-so-far PhysX on while shooting things so eat it :mad:

:qq:

:stare:

Yeah that looks... that looks good. And also dedicated 580 running it worthy (not really), but god drat that is a lot of fluid stuff. I could just imagine the slowdowns from watching that.

However I don't care because right now I'm obsessed with sleeping dogs which still plays great and doesn't use physx :smugdog:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Dogen posted:

However I don't care because right now I'm obsessed with sleeping dogs which still plays great and doesn't use physx :smugdog:

Is it fun? First I heard of it was the Steam popup, and that cover art was a bit :wtc: for a first impression.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Factory Factory posted:

Is it fun? First I heard of it was the Steam popup, and that cover art was a bit :wtc: for a first impression.

Yes. It is like if GTA IV didn't have all the fun sucked out of it, and was set in Hong Kong. Also, the combat is Batman AC esque for the most part, although there is some slo mo shooting ala Stranglehold.

The story is like Infernal Affairs or The Departed, basically, where you are an undercover cop infiltrating organized crime.

The graphics are surprisingly good, it has DX 11 features (SSAA woo) and a high-res texture pack.

Also it's by the Just Cause people, if you like those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Welp, time to go sell my possessions on SA Mart so I can afford this game.

In other news, Tech Report has officially dubbed the 660 Ti part of its 2012 Back-to-School Sweet Spot system. I guess they like it.