Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Moon Monster posted:

The fact that he's a huge Tolkein fan probably also helps. I doubt he feels as strongly about Nomura.

"Keyblades of hearts? Xehanort? What is this poo poo? I was the Prince of Darkness! I have been Death! Look Nomura, I'm 90 years old. Even with the google document I couldn't understand what's going on. Don't bother trying to contact me; my plane for New Zealand should be arriving in an hour."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

uhh you must get a different one for beating all the Special Portals, too? The one I'm talking about is Unbound

Oh hey yeah you're right I misread your post as saying 'special' not 'secret'; my bad. End of Pain isn't as rad as Unbound, but it's the best Keyblade you can get before beating the game, I believe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Keyblades of hearts? Xehanort? What is this poo poo? I was the Prince of Darkness! I have been Death! Look Nomura, I'm 90 years old. Even with the google document I couldn't understand what's going on. Don't bother trying to contact me; my plane for New Zealand should be arriving in an hour."

I like to think that as soon as he was done recording his part, he grabbed his copy of the script, dropped it disdainfully in the trash can, nonchalantly doused it with alcohol or lighter fluid and just threw a match as he swiftly walked out of the recording booth, not looking back.

EDIT: VVVV I guess but come on it's fun to imagine that KH's writing is so silly it would even drive a total professional like Lee bonkers.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 15, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Guys I don't think he'd have taken the role if he didn't like the part/think it would be fun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Money, dear boy. Money"

Or should that be, "Munny, dear boy. Munny"?

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

The fact that he's a huge Tolkein fan probably also helps. I doubt he feels as strongly about Nomura.

IIRC, Tolkein (during his "I like to eat" writer phrase) reportedly outright told Lee he would be awesome in a hypothetical LOTR movie, though playing Gandalf.:eng101:

Actors never try to understand the whole plot of a movie in order anyway. :v:

Also considering the stable of other respected (voice) actors, that his grandkids would be playing this game, and he can basically smack any director with his showbiz dick by turning around, and these jobs probably are quite fine.

keet fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Welp, I got the glitch where portals stop appearing because somehow Sora and Riku's forecasts switched. Thankfully, you just have to drop three times to fix it. Except, now I have no drop bonuses and am getting slaughtered :suicide:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I finally managed to get enough droplets to give Sora a level 3 on almost everything, then I entered the last world and he instantly dropped as part of the story :negative:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
How do you get the drop bonuses higher than level 1 anyway?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

How do you get the drop bonuses higher than level 1 anyway?

press right when highlighting them?

Or are you still really early on? You unlock better bonuses as the story progresses.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

press right when highlighting them?

Or are you still really early on? You unlock better bonuses as the story progresses.

No, I've beaten the game (not got the secret ending). I did not know you could press right to level them up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was fighting the secret boss and like half my commands stopped reloading. Is this some kind of status condition? Or something that happens in this fight? He was down to maybe two bars of health, too!

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was fighting the secret boss and like half my commands stopped reloading. Is this some kind of status condition? Or something that happens in this fight? He was down to maybe two bars of health, too!

It's what happens when you get hit while his fists are charged with electricity, also they are still reloading, just very very slowly. You won't be able to use them for about a minute.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hey, is BbS good enough to justify the purchase of a psp? I might get a few other games and load all of my PSOne games on it, but mostly I want it for BbS.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Liar Lyre posted:

Hey, is BbS good enough to justify the purchase of a psp? I might get a few other games and load all of my PSOne games on it, but mostly I want it for BbS.

It's a good game if that's what you're asking. But I don't think it justifies a system all on its own.

The PSP has plenty of awesome games though!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pick up a used PSP-2000 or 3000 for under $100. Grab it, Crisis Core, and Dissidia 012

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just don't get the PSP Go, BBS was never released for online purchase so you'll need to get a good old WMD. DMW. DMV. Whatever those things are called.

^Jeez, I got a PSP 3000 for 200$ back when English BBS came out. Saved for way too long. Can't believe prices drop so fast.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Liar Lyre posted:

It is one of the best games on the PSP, and outside of DDD, I'd say the best Kingdom Hearts game in the series so far.

But like others have said, don't buy a system for one game. If you can find a handful of other games you'd like to play on it, then yeah grab the system, it's cheap now, even cheaper used.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

those fuckers

To re-beat the game, you have to start from the end of Sora's final world and re-fight like four bosses, it's annoying. But I watched the secret movie! And it was basically exactly what I thought it was gonna be.

Does this mean that I can't skip right to the questions by going through the Ending Movie? :( What answers are they supposed to be? I went with everything related to friendship, i.e. "fear of hurting others", "want to be with friends the most", "friends are most important" since the game basically hammered that point right into my forehead.

Also, what's with the message thing during the credits? "Secret message unlocked", I think? I wasn't able to hit all the letters. And during the ending, characters appear with a bunch of letters themselves, and I think it's something like "This leads to Kingdom Hearts". Does that have any significance?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Right, beat the game today, drink your goddamn tea Sora, now I only need one more trophy for the secret ending. I assume the points for Daring Diver are cumulative, because getting over 2 million in one dive by itself seems impossible?

Terper fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 18, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Does this mean that I can't skip right to the questions by going through the Ending Movie? :( What answers are they supposed to be? I went with everything related to friendship, i.e. "fear of hurting others", "want to be with friends the most", "friends are most important" since the game basically hammered that point right into my forehead.

Also, what's with the message thing during the credits? "Secret message unlocked", I think? I wasn't able to hit all the letters. And during the ending, characters appear with a bunch of letters themselves, and I think it's something like "This leads to Kingdom Hearts". Does that have any significance?

You gotta fight the end boss rush again. Which can cause the portal switching glitch, btw, so beware.

the correct answers are about recovering something you've lost. They are choices 3, 2, 2. You wanna hit all the letters when diving in the credits, it unlocks a cool message. I dunno what the letters during the credits mean. You must get the secret message and answer the questions correctly to unlock the secret movie.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The Secret Message is about Kingdom Hearts 3. If you read it, it says something about 'a new number' and 'never before seen detail'. It's a pretty obvious hint that we're getting KH3 and it's going to be on the PS3.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Well, this is definitely my least favourite KH game. It has by far the shittiest combat mechanics out of all of them, with enemies able to knock you out of attack animations with the slightest breath, stunlock you to complete death, and a complete and utter inability to do anything about any of it. Oh and the spirits are borderline useless - if they gave a passive buff and nothing else they'd probably accomplish the same thing. I am on the last world and if I could end the game immediately I would; playing through the last few battles is going to be such a loving chore.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the level design is a joke. It's like the people who made the levels and the people who designed flowmotion literally never spoke to each other to find out that you can jump infinitely and fly across huge chasms.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 18, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Morpheus posted:

Well, this is definitely my least favourite KH game. It has by far the shittiest combat mechanics out of all of them, with enemies able to knock you out of attack animations with the slightest breath, stunlock you to complete death, and a complete and utter inability to do anything about any of it.

This happened to me frequently in BBS and KHIIFM as well, so it isn't just this game. Also not all enemies can hit you out of animations, and if you're having problems with that, use more flowmotion, or commands that can hit from far away. Or block more and use more counters.

EDIT: My Spirits frequently kill poo poo for me. Were you making rank * spirits?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 18, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have to agree on the combat and areas. The game is unnecessarily bullshit when it comes to stunlocking, camera control, and how easy it is for enemies to completely destroy you. The worlds are huge, sure, but they feel empty and not particularly interesting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You gotta fight the end boss rush again. Which can cause the portal switching glitch, btw, so beware.

God loving dammit :mad: I'll just go look for a KH wiki instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This happened to me frequently in BBS and KHIIFM as well, so it isn't just this game. Also not all enemies can hit you out of animations, and if you're having problems with that, use more flowmotion, or commands that can hit from far away. Or block more and use more counters.

EDIT: My Spirits frequently kill poo poo for me. Were you making rank * spirits?

Flowmotion is drat near useless because you just get the poo poo pounded out of you while doing the animations, for not a lot of payout. My spirits are all * rank, and while they do their darndest to actually affect something, at most they do a bit of damage and the enemies resume smashing the crap out of me. They just never get into combat; I've had to revive a spirit once in the entirety of the game. And with some of the enemies in this last area, christ.

*Presses attack*
Sora: Ha- *gets hit, stops attacking*
*Tries blizzard blitz*
Sora: Take tha- *gets hit, stops attacking*
*Tries firaga*
Sore: Fir- *another hit*
Me: Are you loving joking?

The only consolation is the Leaf Bracer, but when enemies do those multi-hit attacks that the game is so drat fond of (the triceratops, the t-rex, those stupid dark dodo things, etc) you're hosed. And you always have to have magical spells at the beck and call in case you fight any enemy that blocks, because that drat block can repel literally any physical attack, whether it's a thrown keyblade or death from above. And then you, of course, lose your attack. And that 'Aerial Recover' thing never works either, which is probably one of the most frustrating parts. I might be able to deal with it if even the weakest hit didn't take half a second to recover from.

I have beaten all the other Kingdom Hearts games and I've never run into this level of frustration before.

Oh and the spirit/affinity system is dumb.

Edit: Oh! And the fact that when you get stunned or frozen, there is poo poo all you can do until you get hit. Unless you have a specific spirit that protects against that, you're hosed against those loving penguins.

Pollyanna posted:

I have to agree on the combat and areas. The game is unnecessarily bullshit when it comes to stunlocking, camera control, and how easy it is for enemies to completely destroy you. The worlds are huge, sure, but they feel empty and not particularly interesting.

Yeah the large areas are annoying too, because when you die, guess what, back to the beginning losing the progress of the 8 or so battles you fought through. And any changes to your deck, spirits, etc.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 18, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Morpheus posted:

Flowmotion is drat near useless because you just get the poo poo pounded out of you while doing the animations, for not a lot of payout.

I was under the impression that you're invincible during a lot of them? They might not be particularly powerful, but they're quick and generally easy to use.

quote:

My spirits are all * rank, and while they do their darndest to actually affect something, at most they do a bit of damage and the enemies resume smashing the crap out of me. They just never get into combat; I've had to revive a spirit once in the entirety of the game.

How often they attack or cast buffs is based on their affinity, so if they aren't doing anything, they clearly didn't love you enough.

quote:

And with some of the enemies in this last area, christ.

*Presses attack*
Sora: Ha- *gets hit, stops attacking*
*Tries blizzard blitz*
Sora: Take tha- *gets hit, stops attacking*
*Tries firaga*
Sore: Fir- *another hit*
Me: Are you loving joking?

The only consolation is the Leaf Bracer, but when enemies do those multi-hit attacks that the game is so drat fond of (the triceratops, the t-rex, those stupid dark dodo things, etc) you're hosed. And you always have to have magical spells at the beck and call in case you fight any enemy that blocks, because that drat block can repel literally any physical attack, whether it's a thrown keyblade or death from above. And then you, of course, lose your attack. And that 'Aerial Recover' thing never works either, which is probably one of the most frustrating parts. I might be able to deal with it if even the weakest hit didn't take half a second to recover from.

I have beaten all the other Kingdom Hearts games and I've never run into this level of frustration before.

If you're having problems getting stunlocked, get the gently caress away from the enemies to cast your long range spells. I agree that it can be frustrating, but as long as you have curaga set to shortcut, and leaf bracer/second chance/once more, which you should by around the final world, you should be able to dodge roll away and heal. Not that it isn't cheap sometimes; I have definitely died stupid deaths, especially early on. Replace aerial recovery with a counter move, that helps a lot.

As for enemies who block, I found it kind of refreshing that they increased the AI of the enemies so that they can intelligently block you. You should always be using a combination of physical and magic commands, anyway, just in general but especially in those situations. Also, Flowmotion can hit through blocks. Last thing, just to reiterate, I (and other people I know) had all these same problems in BBS my first time, and even a bit in some of the other games. If you have only had problems with the camera not showing you an enemy that suddenly stunlocks you to death in this game, I'm impressed because the camera has always sucked and it happened to me constantly in BBS.

quote:

Edit: Oh! And the fact that when you get stunned or frozen, there is poo poo all you can do until you get hit. Unless you have a specific spirit that protects against that, you're hosed against those loving penguins.

Yeah the large areas are annoying too, because when you die, guess what, back to the beginning losing the progress of the 8 or so battles you fought through. And any changes to your deck, spirits, etc.

I totally agree with this, though. And if you completed a portal, you have to do it again :suicide:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

I was under the impression that you're invincible during a lot of them? They might not be particularly powerful, but they're quick and generally easy to use.

No, no, no, no, NO.

Flowmotion is a terribly implemented mechanic.

Easy to activate by accident (aka whenever you dodge roll into a wall)
No way to quickly cancel it (either fly through the air until the charge lets out or land on the ground and wait a second)
No invincibility AND you don't get staggered
Attacks have ridiculous windup times (except for the one for fighting big Dream Eaters)
And you cannot use Commands while in Flowmotion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

No, no, no, no, NO.

Flowmotion is a terribly implemented mechanic.

Easy to activate by accident (aka whenever you dodge roll into a wall)
No way to quickly cancel it (either fly through the air until the charge lets out or land on the ground and wait a second)
No invincibility AND you don't get staggered
Attacks have ridiculous windup times (except for the one for fighting big Dream Eaters)
And you cannot use Commands while in Flowmotion.

If you accidentally trigger it, jump immediately and do the shockwave attack, or jump way far away

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Killed off the final boss for the third loving time today to try and get the secret movie aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I forgot that I only had 6 trophies :suicide: I'm not loving doing this all over again.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Could someone tell me without spoiling anything what the exact conditions are for unlocking the secret movie? I'm finally picking the game up when I get my 3DSXL Sunday.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I found Flowmotion to have the exact opposite problem.

If you weren't doing it constantly, I had trouble putting any damage on enemies at all, and even though you aren't technically invincible, you are definitely very hard to hit at the least.

And BBS is actually much easier then this game for a simple reason.

Leaf Bracer, Once More, and Second Chance aren't all attached to late game party members that you are unlikely to get, at least before beating the game or knowing where they are.

In BBS, I had Once More and Second Chance by like the third world. Here, I have neither of them and I've beaten the game. I don't even know where Once More is. I can see Second Chance on one of my spirits, but it's something like 1000 LP away, still. Leaf Bracer is easier to get, but not by a lot.

Just the fact those abilities are so hard to find and acquire make the game significantly harder then BBS. And I don't think you can keep the commands unless you completely max out the spirit? I think, which is what I've been seeing, at the least, which could be a tremendous amount of points.

And it's not that I made a lot of Dream Eaters and wasted my components, I've made like 7. Those abilities are just hard to find.

I mean it's a pretty good game, but there's so many problems too. It makes me really unwilling to pick it up and play it some more when I can go back to BBS or KH2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Killed off the final boss for the third loving time today to try and get the secret movie aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I forgot that I only had 6 trophies :suicide: I'm not loving doing this all over again.

I'm pretty sure it will just unlock once you get enough trophies, if you've already met the other conditions. You should try it out!

kthegreat posted:

Could someone tell me without spoiling anything what the exact conditions are for unlocking the secret movie? I'm finally picking the game up when I get my 3DSXL Sunday.

gonna c/p this:

Once you beat the game, you'll unlock Theater Mode. To get the Secret Ending, you have to get a certain amount of trophies depending on your difficulty setting. Beginner 13 Standard 7 Proud 5 Critical 0 Next, you need to answer the three questions that were asked at the end correctly. The answers are: 1. (Option 3) 2. (Option 2) 3. (Option 2) Afterward, you need to unlock the Secret Message during the credits by collecting the gold letters during Sora's credit Dive. It will spell out "Secret Message Unlocked." Once you save your end-game file and reload it, you should get a prompt saying you unlocked the Secret Ending in Theater Mode.

Again, I think it just unlocks once all the conditions are met, so you can do trophies last.

Flare_knight posted:

I found Flowmotion to have the exact opposite problem.

If you weren't doing it constantly, I had trouble putting any damage on enemies at all, and even though you aren't technically invincible, you are definitely very hard to hit at the least.

And BBS is actually much easier then this game for a simple reason.

Leaf Bracer, Once More, and Second Chance aren't all attached to late game party members that you are unlikely to get, at least before beating the game or knowing where they are.

In BBS, I had Once More and Second Chance by like the third world. Here, I have neither of them and I've beaten the game. I don't even know where Once More is. I can see Second Chance on one of my spirits, but it's something like 1000 LP away, still. Leaf Bracer is easier to get, but not by a lot.

Just the fact those abilities are so hard to find and acquire make the game significantly harder then BBS. And I don't think you can keep the commands unless you completely max out the spirit? I think, which is what I've been seeing, at the least, which could be a tremendous amount of points.

And it's not that I made a lot of Dream Eaters and wasted my components, I've made like 7. Those abilities are just hard to find.

I mean it's a pretty good game, but there's so many problems too. It makes me really unwilling to pick it up and play it some more when I can go back to BBS or KH2.

Dude, Leaf Bracer is on the very first Spirit you get that you are required to make to progress the story. If you didn't get it early on, it's your own fault.

Second Chance is a little bit tougher to get, but not bad. And yeah Once More is difficult to get until close to endgame but at the same time, that kinda made the game more of a challenge!

Also if you unlock a command on a link board, you have it permanently. And if you didn't try and make a lot of Spirits, then... maybe that's why you couldn't get Second Chance?? I'm gonna look up how early you can get it in a minute.

EDIT: Escarglow has Second Chance, you can buy the components to make it pretty early, but they are also dropped by Escarglows. Yeah, it'll probably be a lovely rank, but you can get it pretty early. I think they first appear in The Grid? Maybe even earlier.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 18, 2012

Shiran
Feb 20, 2003

I thought Dream Drop Distance did a pretty good job setting everything up for Kingdom Hearts 3. Too bad we'll have to wait like 2-4 years to finally play KH3 since they haven't even started making it yet. drat you, Versus. :argh:

Do you think Lea's training under Merlin or Kairi's training under Yensid will be playable in a future game? I could see either scenario being a prologue for Kingdom Hearts 3

And do you think we'll get some news about Birth by Sleep Volume 2 anytime soon? I'm starting to think that Nomura forgot about that supposed game.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Shiran posted:

I thought Dream Drop Distance did a pretty good job setting everything up for Kingdom Hearts 3. Too bad we'll have to wait like 2-4 years to finally play KH3 since they haven't even started making it yet. drat you, Versus. :argh:

Do you think Lea's training under Merlin or Kairi's training under Yensid will be playable in a future game? I could see either scenario being a prologue for Kingdom Hearts 3

And do you think we'll get some news about Birth by Sleep Volume 2 anytime soon? I'm starting to think that Nomura forgot about that supposed game.

If that's a secret ending spoiler you should probably mark it as such. I haven't seen the secret ending and I'm not sure if what you've written is conjecture or what happens in the SE :smith:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shiran posted:

I sure hope it gets made in the interim; the more Aqua, the better.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hm. Ending stuff: Young Xehanort says Master Xehanort is him from the most "distant future" or whatever, but shouldn't Terranort be Xehanort's "oldest" form? Guy didn't even get screentime, when he should be the leader of all the Xehanorts, considering he made both Xemnas and Ansem. What's up with that? :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

The worlds are huge, sure, but they feel empty and not particularly interesting.

I've felt this way about every KH game, it pretty much just comes with the territory.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Terper posted:

Hm. Ending stuff: Young Xehanort says Master Xehanort is him from the most "distant future" or whatever, but shouldn't Terranort be Xehanort's "oldest" form? Guy didn't even get screentime, when he should be the leader of all the Xehanorts, considering he made both Xemnas and Ansem. What's up with that? :colbert:

Because both Xemnas and Ansem (seeker of the darkness) were destroyed, Master Xehanort re-formed as himself, as was explained in re:coded's secret movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Because both Xemnas and Ansem (seeker of the darkness) were destroyed, Master Xehanort re-formed as himself, as was explained in re:coded's secret movie.

So he didn't get reformed to his new Terranort body, but as the old one? That doesn't make sense. He was Terranort when he split into Ansem and Xemnas, as seen in the very first cutscene in the game, even.

EDIT: By the way, is there a way to fight the final bosses in post-game difficulty, like the rest of the bosses?