Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

bisticles posted:

A fully loaded tire busting loose will fuuuuuck you up.

No kidding. One of the rear tires exploded on a trailer a few car lengths in front of me not long ago. Sounded like a shotgun and started spewing out giant hunks of rubber as it tore itself to pieces. Scared the poo poo out of me. The truck just kept on merrily bombing on down the road too. Never even slowed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
People have been killed by large equipment tyres bursting. Those cages in tyre workshops are there for a reason.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Didn't Mythbusters show that if a tire was to catastrophically fail in the right way it could basically rip someone's head off?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I think that was more to do with a steel radial belt coming off a truck at highway speed and hitting someone in an open top car/motorcycle. Some of the more serious levels of tire related doom are aircraft tires.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

People have been killed by large equipment tyres bursting. Those cages in tyre workshops are there for a reason.

Partially tires bursting, partially because of split rims, which are the most atrociously dangerous thing ever conceived of for mechanics.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm going to change the image to a link and I think everyone else should, too. Pretty sure the mods don't like seeing people get hurt.

I find it hilarious, and it's not like we're staring at hamburger - it's low-res blood. 14 INCH DICK has posted worse pictures of his loving fingers :gonk:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Farking Bastage posted:

I hate hydraulic leaks. As expensive as hydraulic oil is nowadays, when I inevitably pop hoses on my tractor or FEL I just start tossing 20 dollar bills on the ground limping the fucker back to the garage.

I used to work as a garbageman for the summers when I was in high school.

I'm sitting on the back of the truck going down the street one day when one of the hydraulic cylinders for the compactor decides to let go. All over me. The hose didn't come loose, the cylinder actually split open.

It *felt* expensive. And warm. And not all that pleasant.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Das Volk posted:

I think that was more to do with a steel radial belt coming off a truck at highway speed and hitting someone in an open top car/motorcycle. Some of the more serious levels of tire related doom are aircraft tires.

Yeah, I remember a friend who worked on a carrier showing me the aftermath of putting some godawful high PSI into an aircraft tire. You'd think they'd make the valve incompatible after that...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Split rims on aircraft are hilariously dangerous. Here's a randomly googled accident report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20001206X01353&ntsbno=MIA94LA149&akey=1

The Beech BE-65 has a pretty small nose wheel as far as airplanes in general go, yet a piece of it was enough to slice someone's leg off.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
No picture, but today i had a 2002 jeep wrangler throwing codes for engine staying cold too long. Pulled out the T-stat, drat thing had blown apart on the back side. Pretty cool to see.

Tire chat: The CC i took auto classes at had something like a 30ft celing. There was a big rubber mark above the tire mounting machine. Some sod had done ~something~ wrong, probably overinflating the tire, and it blew off and hit the ceiling hard enough to leave the mark. Thats why on the side of the machines theres the stick man diagram of a guy getting his poo poo blown up when leaning over the wheel assembly.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Remember, never set your tire pressure regulator higher than 600psi!

This is a rather tame informational poster, but navy's got some gruesome-rear end safety posters with all sorts of horrible injuries plastered up just about everywhere.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Here's an idea of what a catastrophic truck tire failure could do. The split rims are the worst, but a sidewall failure can happen on any style of wheel, and are loving terrifying to think about. Instant deafness at best, decapitation at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlJJqHFfoQ

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I still do a lot of tire work but i'm old and cautious now. I'm lucky to be all in one piece. When i was young and dumb I always took that don't inflate past 40psi to seat the bead warning as a suggestion. To think of the times i had over 100psi to get a stubborn low profile tire to seat. I always put the air ram down in the center of the wheel to help the clamps but i wouldn't think of doing that nowadays. I keep breaking them down and lubing the wheel and bead, i will max the machine though which is 50-55lbs to get them to seat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm afraid to check the pressure on my piddly C load range truck tires now :ohdear:

And I understand why the nurses in my family refuse to touch the tire pressure, even when it's obvious that they are too low.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MadScientistWorking posted:

Didn't Mythbusters show that if a tire was to catastrophically fail in the right way it could basically rip someone's head off?

They took a tire tread and launched it through a door window. And it took off the gel dummy's head.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

They took a tire tread and launched it through a door window. And it took off the gel dummy's head.

So it wouldn't penetrate a windshield or they didn't test it at all? Having a chunk of tread come through a door window at that speed seems highly unlikely.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Highspeed bit of tire tread launcher test here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw4ZooBzLw&t=311s

They tested through a side window and didn't test a windshield at all, but I think that even a windshield could not hold up to that amount of force in one spot.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have something topical!

Not necessarily horrible, but as I was inflating a tire on my car, the valve stem popped out. The rubber part is still in the wheel, but the brass bit that the pump attaches to is on the ground.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I have something topical!

Not necessarily horrible, but as I was inflating a tire on my car, the valve stem popped out. The rubber part is still in the wheel, but the brass bit that the pump attaches to is on the ground.

Clearly a properly designed mechanical fuse to prevent your tire from exploding!

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
That Mythbusters ended up being one of those that they had to really reach to make happen. They basically made a big pitching machine out of that truck and fired a chunk of retread out of it.

Mythbusters aside, I sure as poo poo do not want to be around any exploding tires.

On the topic of shredded tires, I've been seeing a shitload of retreads on the shoulder and often in the middle of the goddamn road. One of them is responsible for violently bifurcating my air dam. Is this just a local PA phenomenon or are dangerously lovely re manufactured tires becoming more common?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I see the carcass of at least 3 or 4 tires on the road on my ~20 mile commute every day so it would appear they're becoming more common.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Nathan Explosion posted:

are dangerously lovely re manufactured tires becoming more common?

Yes, in the sense that everyone continues to pinch pennies hard and harder. One way shipping companies probably cope is to run tires for longer. Road maintenance budgets are similarly shafted and no doubt contribute to this problem from the opposite direction, degrading tires faster.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Are those retreads along the roads, though? I was under the impression most were regular truck tires that became shredded due to negligence and apathy and unnoticed because the other tire was supporting the weight of the truck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nathan Explosion posted:

On the topic of shredded tires, I've been seeing a shitload of retreads on the shoulder and often in the middle of the goddamn road. One of them is responsible for violently bifurcating my air dam. Is this just a local PA phenomenon or are dangerously lovely re manufactured tires becoming more common?

This is seasonal, too. Overworked / underinflated tires often fail due to heat buildup, and when it's already hot as hell out that happens sooner and more often.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Most of the remains I see on the road have belts sticking out of them so they aren't retreads that came off.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

stevobob posted:

Here's an idea of what a catastrophic truck tire failure could do. The split rims are the worst, but a sidewall failure can happen on any style of wheel, and are loving terrifying to think about. Instant deafness at best, decapitation at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlJJqHFfoQ

I guess no one showed this to Holdbrooks.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jalopnik is reporting that an original Shelby Daytona wrecked at Laguna Seca today.

quote:

$4 Million Shelby Daytona Coupe Crashes At Laguna Seca
Matt Hardigree
The Pebble Beach weekend brings out some of the most valuable cars in the world and, inevitably, someone stuffs one. Seen here is a crunch-and-munched Shelby Daytona Coupe, chassis #2286, one of the five Cobra Daytonas to race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

It crashed during the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. The value of $4 million is probably a conservative estimate, as other original Daytona Coupes have gone for as much as $7.25 million at auction.
According to our own Travis Okulski, the Daytona Coupe crashed at turn three at Laguna Seca, where the car has raced in the past. It's a gorgeous car and this photo from Travis shows significant body damage to the front of the car. This particular Shelby was the last completed Coupe.

The cause of the crash is unknown, but it's so far the biggest reported auto casualty of the weekend. At least it was damaged doing what it's meant to do.

Anyone else have details/photos? Put them in the comments below.

Photo Credit: Travis Okulski/Dutch Mandel

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Looks more like That's turn 5. Funny place to go off unless he had a brake failure of some kind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Edit: Return to your normal posting, nothing to see here.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 20, 2012

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thank you ;-*

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

All is right with the world again.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh Calculus :glomp:

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Awesome! Here, have some diesel runaway:

And the video this pic came from: (Skip to about 2 minutes in. They freak out and the old guy just walks on in and shuts it down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1o2rpO_JY

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Nathan Explosion posted:

That Mythbusters ended up being one of those that they had to really reach to make happen. They basically made a big pitching machine out of that truck and fired a chunk of retread out of it.

No. They didn't really reach at all for that one because all they did was measure how fast the tread was speeding out when it did actually fail. The problem being that it was being flung out in every which direction except the location of where the dummy was. At that point you know you can get a tire to fail and shoot off at 40 MPH now how deadly is it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 20, 2012

Moot1234
Jul 2, 2008

Ridiculously long lasting flavor.

Landerig posted:

And the video this pic came from: (Skip to about 2 minutes in. They freak out and the old guy just walks on in and shuts it down)

I apologize if this is a stupid question, as I'm not very engine savvy. But in the case of a runaway, for that duration before the engine takes a huge poo poo, if you were to keep driving it would you get basically the same effect as NO2 since the oil being pulled in and burned adds to the "fuel" mixture? Basically, would you get ridiculous speed and performance for the brief duration before the engine exploded?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Moot1234 posted:

I apologize if this is a stupid question, as I'm not very engine savvy. But in the case of a runaway, for that duration before the engine takes a huge poo poo, if you were to keep driving it would you get basically the same effect as NO2 since the oil being pulled in and burned adds to the "fuel" mixture? Basically, would you get ridiculous speed and performance for the brief duration before the engine exploded?

Nah, it would probably be less than giving it full throttle, as the air/fuel isn't controlled. That truck is in neutral/disconnected though, so it's not really fighting against much and doesn't give a gently caress about the rev limit.

However it could go above the rev limit.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 20, 2012

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
They tend to stop when the valves melt to the valve guides :stare:

Also tyrechat:

warcake fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 20, 2012

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. They didn't really reach at all for that one because all they did was measure how fast the tread was speeding out when it did actually fail. The problem being that it was being flung out in every which direction except the location of where the dummy was. At that point you know you can get a tire to fail and shoot off at 40 MPH now how deadly is it.

I only meant that they had to set it up so the tread fired directly at the dummy head. After all, the myth was that an exploding tire killed a guy. They didn't have much luck with just sitting the dummy next to the running truck and blowing the spinning tire up. Even so, having one explode next to you on the road wouldn't be fun at all.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Landerig posted:

These runaway diesel videos are amazing. Would you hang onto this thing as long as the bearded dude did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM (fires up about 1:10 in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

warcake posted:

They tend to stop when the valves melt to the valve guides :stare:

Also tyrechat:

Eh, a can of fix a flat and it'll be good as new.