Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
GSS was supposed to start either not long after Tenra's started/finished. I can't remember which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

90 backers and $7,563 pledged of $9,000 goal already for Tenra Bansho. That's pretty impressive.

EDIT: And it looks like I missed out if I wanted to up my pledge to $250. Early bird gets the worm and all that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It'd be pretty cool if the KS makes enough that he isn't covering half the print run out of pocket. That's an insane level of dedication.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

90 backers and $7,563 pledged of $9,000 goal already for Tenra Bansho. That's pretty impressive.

Well, there are a lot of people who've been waiting a long-rear end time for it; myself included. I played the game back at GenCon '08, but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about the system. All I remember was I was playing a samurai who had a gunblade loaded with explosive rounds.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Well, I funded at $55 because ultimately I would like to have the books. I really hope this one can lead to Meikyuu and GSS coming over too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, there are a lot of people who've been waiting a long-rear end time for it; myself included. I played the game back at GenCon '08, but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about the system. All I remember was I was playing a samurai who had a gunblade loaded with explosive rounds.

It's more of the fact that it only has taken a couple of hours and the project is almost fully funded that impressed me. 100 people and it's only about $500 away now.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

shoplifter posted:

GSS was supposed to start either not long after Tenra's started/finished. I can't remember which.
The plan is to launch the GSS Kickstarter around the time the Tenra one ends. Granted there's basically always some RPG Kickstarters going on these days, but we want to at least make it so people interested in J-RPGs aren't struggling to pay for both games out of the same paycheck. Whether it's before or after will depend on how soon we can get stuff squared away for GSS though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's it! At 107 backers, someone hopped on the $2,800 pledge level and the project is now funded! :toot:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw yeah time for some stretch goals baby! :dance:

I'm actually happy someone grabbed the $2800 pledge level. That sounds fun as hell.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You should start up a thread for it whenever you actually go hang out in Japan.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I will call it "The Maid RPG mega-thread".

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's coming...!

(reusing jokes from 2010 what up)

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes
(Thinking to himself what a relief it is that all those other Kickstarters he funded are finalized and how he's going to abstain from spending any more money on new projects *sees 10 new posts, clicks thread*)

Well...gently caress.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
Hey guys! Long day at work, whew! Anyway, I just came back to this thread to let you know that, well, remember that "Tenra Bansho RPG" project I mentioned above? Well, I finally got around to completing it and it's now live on Kickstarter! So if you're interested, please... ...

...oh, nevermind.

(also: WOW)

(also: Doc: WAS THAT YOU??? For real???)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

You deserve it, man. :cheers:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well poo poo I was too late for the tier I really wanted, oh well, still in it for a hardcover set at 55 bucks. He's getting close to covering the cost of the print run out of KS funds, which is awesome.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Kickstarter link is in the OP. That $2800 mark is seriously cool, and a tiny pathetic part of me is a little sad it got sniped before I got around to it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Just wanted to note that it's getting close to 200% of the funding in its first day. Before the $2,800 level was bought, the donations were averaging about $85 per person, and now that's up to around $100 per.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I will be in. Still deciding between $55 and $70. I want those dice, but Seventy Dollars...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Dice plus campaign setting plus the bonus content plus Director's Cut! You totally want the $70 level. It's what I did.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Kwyndig posted:

Well poo poo I was too late for the tier I really wanted, oh well, still in it for a hardcover set at 55 bucks.

heya, if you were looking at the furoshiki (108) or the furoshiki and chips levels, I'm going to be making some calls to Kyoto textile makers this weekend to see the prices and shipping of MOAR (aiming for the same patterns I already have, and at least the same high quality). You will see these two levels return, albeit perhaps about $10 higher due to shipping from Japan to US (the 40 I originally had, I brought with me by hand this year when I came back from work in Japan).

It might be a few days, tho.

Also, now to plan out stretch goals!

Thanks!

DiamondSutra fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DiamondSutra posted:

heya, if you were looking at the furoshiki (108) or the furoshiki and chips levels, I'm going to be making some calls to Kyoto textile makers this weekend to see the prices and shipping of MOAR (aiming for the same patterns I already have, and at least the same high quality). You will see these two levels return, albeit perhaps about $10 higher due to shipping from Japan to US (the 40 I originally had, I brought with me by hand this year when I came back from work in Japan).

Thanks!
-Andy

While I'm glad you're here talking about all this, a bit of friendly advice: don't use words like MOAR or sign your posts. That'll get you probated.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
In for 70 on TBZ, wish I'd have caught the 108 tier earlier!

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I'm glad you're here talking about all this, a bit of friendly advice: don't use words like MOAR or sign your posts. That'll get you probated.

Dang, that's the second time I accidentally signed (habit I have from everywhere). Thanks for the heads up, corrected it.

twinight: There will be more furoshiki up by the end of the weekend. Might be a slightly higher price (due to shipping from Jpn-US) of a tier, but still.

Thanks!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

drat it, missed out on the higher tiers. The unjust rewards of being given a weekend work shift.

Ah well, this Kickstarter is going gangbusters, mustn't complain too much :unsmith:

Edit: Never mind, happily eating my words. $520 down :smaug:

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 18, 2012

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Augh, my next paycheck can't come fast enough! The presentation in the kickstarter is just plain fantastic, it took me from mildly disinterested to eager to get going with this. Good thing I just earned a bonus at work, or I'd never afford it...

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know if this is insensitive or unobservant or something, but at cursory glance, Tenra Bansho sort of looks like Japan's very own RIFTS. By all means correct me if I should be taking a different comparison. Like, it is the nature of people to have preferences, but reading through about some other games mentioned in this thread, I find it hard to be excited about Tenra Bansho since it doesn't really sound like, by comparison, it offers a whole lot that is presently missing from the western pen and paper experience.

Like, I would even kind of like someone to try and explain why I should be excited. The kickstarter just didn't sell me on it as much as other people apparently were.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lodoubt posted:

I don't know if this is insensitive or unobservant or something, but at cursory glance, Tenra Bansho sort of looks like Japan's very own RIFTS. By all means correct me if I should be taking a different comparison. Like, it is the nature of people to have preferences, but reading through about some other games mentioned in this thread, I find it hard to be excited about Tenra Bansho since it doesn't really sound like, by comparison, it offers a whole lot that is presently missing from the western pen and paper experience.

Like, I would even kind of like someone to try and explain why I should be excited. The kickstarter just didn't sell me on it as much as other people apparently were.

I would say it is in the "this is an awesome setting with tons of poo poo" sense, not the "rules designed by Kevin Sembida" sense.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DiamondSutra posted:

Thanks!

If you make those chits available as an add-on for some amount of money, I would gladly spend good cash money on them.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

lodoubt posted:

I don't know if this is insensitive or unobservant or something, but at cursory glance, Tenra Bansho sort of looks like Japan's very own RIFTS.

edit: A timely update with more mechanical information and some more bonuses/stretch goal ideas and stuff.

No that's actually a pretty good comparison in terms of the mashup of mystical and science fiction, only it is a lot more internally cohesive. It's less as though stuff from all over the multiverse or whatever has spontaneously come to exist on Earth and rather come from an organic development of diverse things that all share an interconnected background and flavor. Also very, very traditionally Japanese in its philosophical and stylistic nature. It's a cultural mashup within ancient and modern Japanese styles/beliefs/tropes as well.

Mechanically it is also a lot more playable than anything Kevin Sembida could ever hope to dream up. I wouldn't say it's one of the best systems I've ever experienced but it is perfectly serviceable and suits the setting well.

As far as not being anything dramatically divergent from western pen and paper stuff, you're kind of right. But something doesn't really have to be radically divergent even within western stuff for people to get super hyped about it -- Dungeon World is a pretty good example of that.

I think most of us are just stoked because it's a really strong game & setting with a very unique atmosphere, and also that the production behind the translation is looking to be pretty much aces all around. Bodes well for the future and all that.

The website has more information about the setting and mechanics (in a general way) as well, if you haven't looked at it.

twinight fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 20, 2012

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

lodoubt posted:

I don't know if this is insensitive or unobservant or something, but at cursory glance, Tenra Bansho sort of looks like Japan's very own RIFTS.

Actually, that's what I thought when I first bought the Japanese version back in 2001. Then I started reading it deeper and deeper, and the more I read the more I was impressed: Not just with the setting stuff, but more with the rules: There's stats, skills, weapon lists, mecha creation blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda... and then there's the Karma system: The core of everything in the game is finding out what your character cares about and believes in, and aiming to pursue, change or destroy it. It's what you get rewarded for, it's what you spend "hero points" (kiai) to influence, it's what changes you (karma), and what destroys you (becoming an asura).

All this just happens to happen on a background of magic ninja geisha armour-pilots.

So yeah, when I first saw it I was like, "Okay, this is cool, whatever", but the more I dug deep into it, the more I fell in love with it. It honestly feels like a game that was meant for my style of play, and what I love out of gaming.

And that's not bullshit: I don't love all the games that FEAR or other Japanese companies produce, heck I don't even love all the games that Junichi Inoue produced. But this one really speaks to me.

---

Speaking of RIFTS, if you're familiar with the game "TORG" from West End Games back in the day: Junichi Inoue and Suzufuki Tarot (CEO at FEAR) both used to write Japan-only supplements for that game. I think that Tenra was Junichi's take on a totally Japanese-themed "COSM" (TORG), rather than the kinda cool/kinda cheesy "Nippon Empire" one that came out of TORG.

NinjaDebugger posted:

If you make those chits available as an add-on for some amount of money, I would gladly spend good cash money on them.

That reward level is back up now. I may order some extra packs and sell them separately when the game is out officially, but they'll be damned expensive with shipping.

(also, thanks for the explanation twinight)

Thanks!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I just backed TBZ for 70, yeah! Looking forward to it. Kickstarter is a harsh mistress.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ah, that update to the kickstarter was really a lot more informative. I have a much better idea of what I am even looking at now. I'll stew over this a bit, see if I can justify a bulkier order akin to retail, given those shipping costs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Everything people keep saying about TBZ makes it sound like it would be my favorite RPG ever, so there goes the rest of my nerdy budget this month.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just to be clear, we don't need the kanji dice to play, right? Just regular d6's? I can't afford the fancy stuff.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

CommissarMega posted:

Just to be clear, we don't need the kanji dice to play, right? Just regular d6's? I can't afford the fancy stuff.
Correct. Kanji dice just have 1 to 6 on them in kanji instead of Arabic numerals.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ewen Cluney posted:

Correct. Kanji dice just have 1 to 6 on them in kanji instead of Arabic numerals.

Righto, that's good to hear. Seriously, with the shipping charges and everything, the $30 tier is all I can afford at the moment.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
One of my friends is off teaching in Iwaki City, so I'm going to send her off to Tokyo to see if she can find Meikyuu Kingdom, Giant Allege, Alshard, Arianrhod, Sword World, and any particular Record of Lodoss War stuff! I look forward to the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
Has anybody heard any updates on the Ryuutama translation? Last I heard "late August" was the goal and that's gotten pretty close.

• Locked thread