Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I finally got a bunch of hatemail from a guy! Our first match I won effortlessly and he sent me three hate/whinemailes in a row about how I suck and am a noob. I told him that calling someone who beats you a noob actually looks worse for you than the 'noob, which Im sure pissed him off pretty good.

Our second match he switches to Chie and literally just does her autocombo the whole match. Unfortunately Ive never actually encountered an autocomoing Chie before and didnt quite grasp when to switch from high block to low block and he won. He sent me another 'u suck' message so I thank him for this experience, and that I believe I have figured it out and will improve myself.

Match 3 he does nothing but Chie autocombo again, except I know how to block and effortlessly win. He ragequits so I send him some smugmail about how I learn from my losses instead o f whining about it. He then sends me THREE voice messages, which I cant understand, then rejoins the room and avoids fighting me and just trashtalks me on the chat about how all I do is autocombo and send hatemail.

Edit: I figured out that his 3rd voice message was telling me to stop sending him hatemail because he wont read it. All I said last time was that I couldnt understand his voicemails and could he type them out instead

Edit: I deciphered more of this guys mumbling. He claims that Yukiko being reliant on Persona is scrubby, that all Im doing is autocombo (all hes doing is autocombo), and that that hes 'not trying to get the last word, hes done with me' and wont read any of my messages. This is immediately before he rejoins the room he ragequit from and begins shittalking me to the whole room and passing on all our matches.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Is it a bad thing I find blocking kinda hard? I don't play a lot of fighting games, so my reaction speed isn't exactly the fastest. I mean, I can block when needed, but the moment I stop I'm dead.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

With me, it's basically, "block whenever you're not attacking or moving". Low block pretty much all the time, stand-block if the enemy is in the air. From there you have to figure out attack strings and poo poo and know when the enemy is going to switch it up, but keeping defense up should be the default state, I think (i am bad at fighting games so what do i know?)

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
About an hour before the PS3 tourney starts. Come sign up. Smash A all day.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Zexerous posted:

I won't be able to make it to the tournament, so just cross off my name. Sorry :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dogbutt posted:

Is it a bad thing I find blocking kinda hard? I don't play a lot of fighting games, so my reaction speed isn't exactly the fastest. I mean, I can block when needed, but the moment I stop I'm dead.

No that's not bad. Blocking is very hard. You just need to play enough that you start to recognize the points in your opponent's pressure where there is a hole big enough that you can stop blocking and start your own offense without getting hit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dogbutt posted:

I won't be able to make it to the tournament, so just cross off my name. Sorry :(

I think you can do that yourself. Do that asap so nobody is left bored with nobody to fight in the first round.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Spiffo posted:

With me, it's basically, "block whenever you're not attacking or moving". Low block pretty much all the time, stand-block if the enemy is in the air. From there you have to figure out attack strings and poo poo and know when the enemy is going to switch it up, but keeping defense up should be the default state, I think (i am bad at fighting games so what do i know?)

Yeah... this is kind of how I do things. Unfortunately, I don't usually take time to stand around and just block. If I'm not attacking, I'm running to or away from the enemy. If I'm not running, I'm attacking. Unfortunately, that often leaves me wide open to my opponents' attacks. I'm not a very patient person, and with fighting games, I prefer melee battles to ranged attacks. So when I go to run towards the enemy, I'm open for them to attack me long-range.

I think that's one reason I have such trouble fighting Yu- his electric slide allows him to do a steady flow of damage over a large area, and I prefer to focus on evasion rather than blocking and I just make trouble for myself. It's kind of like fighting Scorpion in Mortal Kombat. I try to stay airborne when fighting Yu because he has so many attacks that flourish on the ground, but it's tough to stay afloat when you're also trying to reliably deal damage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zexerous posted:

How is this going down? Should I just hop online in a half an hour and wait for an invite or something?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

How is this going down? Should I just hop online in a half an hour and wait for an invite or something?

Get into #goonsgarden on irc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Get into #goonsgarden on irc.

I am a normal person who has no idea how to use IRC, so you're going to have to be a lot more detailed with instructions here...

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Dogbutt posted:

In addition to everyone else's good advice: Blocking, and defense in general, gets easier the more you play. You'll start recognizing patterns/timing/etc that most people use for each character after facing them over and over. You'll get a feel for how to block and when you can escape/counter. With only 13 fighters, this is probably one of the better games to get good at blocking.

Of course, better players mix up attacks and such, but there's only so much to work with in the game's engine.

The Grimace posted:

I main Elizabeth
I prefer melee battles to ranged attacks

I haven't played much Liz, but isn't she more of a zoning character? Most of the posts I've read about her on dustloop mention zoning out until you build up enough SP to set up fear+ Memento Mori for 6K damage. I don't know anything specific about the Yukiko matchup. Most of the successful Liz players I've seen on streams so far have played keepaway and frustration games until going in for one big shot, then backing away again and waiting for more SP. Keeping the other player at almost full screen seems to be her preferred range.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

TheJoker138 posted:

I am a normal person who has no idea how to use IRC, so you're going to have to be a lot more detailed with instructions here...

http://irc.lc/synirc/goonsgarden/t4nk@@@

Change the nickname and jump in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm in, thanks.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Static Rook posted:

I haven't played much Liz, but isn't she more of a zoning character? Most of the posts I've read about her on dustloop mention zoning out until you build up enough SP to set up fear+ Memento Mori for 6K damage. I don't know anything specific about the Yukiko matchup. Most of the successful Liz players I've seen on streams so far have played keepaway and frustration games until going in for one big shot, then backing away again and waiting for more SP. Keeping the other player at almost full screen seems to be her preferred range.

I'll definitely keep that in mind while practicing. I'm not very good at playing keep-away. Dashing backwards takes a lot more effort than dashing forward, and I'm not really good with the whole zoning thing. I'll have to practice with that.

The only difficulty I see in that is that, in my eyes, Elizabeth doesn't seem to have a tremendous amount of ranged attacks. There's Maziodyne, which is a long-range hadouken. There's maragidyne, which can strike the ground at varying ranges and probably has a pretty good chance of defense if you're far enough away when you use it. Attack C and D can send out her persona at varying lengths, as long as the opponent doesn't smash it into oblivion. I'm very hesitant to use these attacks on Elizabeth when I'm not working on a combo because her Persona is so important.

Ultimately, I'm playing her far too offensively when she's really more meant to be a 'wait and counter' sort of player? I can totally understand that... but learning how to be that sort of player is a much different story, haha.

edit: Oh, wow, I didn't realize her defense was so low compared to everyone else. That's a huge shame. :smith: It would definitely explain some of the problems I have had though.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 18, 2012

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Static Rook posted:

When it comes to Liz, she is absolutely the weakest in defense. She takes twice as much damage as an average character. Use her at whatever range you like, but she totally crumbles under hits.

Also, be aware of her special ability that auto charges her meter. You literally don't need to do anything and it fills up. As it does, you can use her moves that act like magnetic shockwaves from Magneto if you are familiar with MVC.

Ankle-biter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 18, 2012

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Gah, got home too late for this tournament. Hope to be around for the next one!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

In case anyone isn't watching be sure to check http://www.twitch.tv/zexerous for the live stream.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Sorry Ankle, I went down 2-0 fast. Teddie force is done for this week unless there's another.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Okay I may have to start working on another character. I like Elizabeth but she really doesn't have anything to deal with high pressure.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

cronox2 posted:

Sorry Ankle, I went down 2-0 fast. Teddie force is done for this week unless there's another.

Beary sad to hear. You'll show 'em what you are made of next time!

criticaldamage
Jun 9, 2009
Another PSN scrub chiming in; my tag is tomato_of_doom. I play Kanji and I'm terrible at this game so far. Please help me to be less terrible.

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet
Golden Battler hasnt reported in to his match yet. When can i DQ him?

Amileo
Aug 18, 2012
Out of curiosity how comfortable is this game with a controller instead of a fight stick? I've played Blazblu in the past with friends using a fight stick, and a controller wasn't terrible, but if I let my desire to get more persona fixing from this should I be prepared to drop the cash on a stick in order to even begin enjoying it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Amileo posted:

Out of curiosity how comfortable is this game with a controller instead of a fight stick? I've played Blazblu in the past with friends using a fight stick, and a controller wasn't terrible, but if I let my desire to get more persona fixing from this should I be prepared to drop the cash on a stick in order to even begin enjoying it?

I've been playing with a controller and it's felt fine so far.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
So I got bopped by a character I basically had no idea how to combat because he jumps all over the place (Yosuke), and a character who's all "oh you. I'm just gonna throw fans at you and have high/low mixups in my autocombo" Yukiko. Good stuff.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Amileo posted:

I tried playing on pad (dual shock) for a day just to test it out and it's totally playable on pad in my opinion. I could do all the same stuff I could on a stick.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

NoMoneyDown posted:

So I got bopped by a character I basically had no idea how to combat because he jumps all over the place (Yosuke), and a character who's all "oh you. I'm just gonna throw fans at you and have high/low mixups in my autocombo" Yukiko. Good stuff.

her autocombo isn't the high low mixup, her autocombo is straight up block high

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure yuki's auto combo has neither a high nor a low in it but I'm not positive.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So apparently if you are fast enough, you can totally use your persona on the same instant it's been broken. Lost to the darealkooky that way. :negative:

i want another rematch where you don't cheat like crazy and pull magical unbroken personae out of your rear when you are locked out :derp:

E: http://www.twitch.tv/zexerous/b/329019114 2:21:50 look at this poo poo!!

Emalde fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 18, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Third hit in Yukiko's AAA sort of looks like an overhead but it's not, none of them are H/L, try mashing less.

E: but if you mash A six times I hear you get a 2F overhead

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah none of Yukiko's 5AAAA are low or high. Unless you are talking about 5AA 5BB 5C 2C, which has a low in it. That's not an auto combo but that's more or less her B&B.

Followup from earlier, was doing some Labrys testing and .. 2A+B x 22B, leaves you at like +12 or something insane like that. You can do a meaty 66 5A to stop anything other than DPs, or yeah that empty jump and release sword is pretty decent so it seems. Follow up with air dash j.B or land and 2A.

Also messed around with punishing Mitsuru's DP ... if you are high enough up when you block it, you can just air throw it before you land. That's pretty cool. There's an annoying height you can block it at though, where it doesn't seem like you can get anything guaranteed.

Ground block of it is hilarious easy to punish with anything though, fortunately.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
GoonsGarden 2 for Persona 4 Arena wrapped up and I've got matches uploaded to youtube now.

No you don't get a graphic yet, because I suck at making those things, however if someone could whip me up a pretty sweet graphic I would be greatly appreciative of your efforts.

Congrats to the top 3 and thank you everyone in participating in another week of this game. The next tourney will be same time next week. I'm trying to figure out when to do the 360 tourneys since I have obligations to take care of on saturday nights.

Here's the placings from tonight:

1st: S-Alpha (Kanji)
2nd: Troffen (Labrys)
3rd: sexart (Mitsuru)

Here's the playlist with all the matches from tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4DB9D455DF14FF3&feature=mh_lolz

Also here's the next tournament signup for PS3.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sthfoman2n

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 18, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

The Grimace posted:

edit: Oh, wow, I didn't realize her defense was so low compared to everyone else. That's a huge shame. :smith: It would definitely explain some of the problems I have had though.

Hi buddy how ya doin?

Here's 13 tips by me.

I call it :spooky:13 Deadly Tips For Liz, The Second Worst Character In The Game (?!):spooky:

1. Maziodyne is a really good move. Mix up your use of A & B Mazio as if you use one too much you'll get blown up by something! This is the move that buys you time to get meter. Every blocked Mazio is essentially 3-4 meter. However, be especially careful against smart players. You'll probably only get off two or three before they wise up and get around it.

2. Never use any version of Garudyne outside of a combo. I'm serious you're going to get hosed up.

3. If they're paralyzed by EX Mazio and somewhat close to the corner while you still have a bit to go to get to them, consider using Maragi C to get in more safely. This usually isn't necessary, but it can help control you screen against characters that can move horizontally well despie being paralyzed, like Mitsuru. Otherwise, don't use any version except Maragi EX during the neutral game, especially against aggressive opponents as you might get blown up!

4. Mamudoon and Mahama are worthless. Even in the best situation, you basically sacrifice advantage and meter for something that's taken away if you even block. Worthless.

5. Your tarot command throw is really good. If you're under pressure from especially aggressive characters like Chie and Mitsuru, it is easy to counter them as long as you remain unpredictable. That said wait for something super vulnerable that is practical to react to like Chie's All Out Attack and Mitsuru's sweep to do it and reset their momentum.

6. Bufudyne is another move that should be only done in combos. It is quite hard to space and time properly as an anti-air. Ex Bufu has armor frames but they only happen once Thanatos has materialized.

7. Mind Charge is a funky move. You can use it to extend combos, see a mixup, gain meter if you have a lot of life, gain about 2/3rd's of a persona card if you're broken, blow yourself up thinking you can beat meaty Chie C, etc etc. Be careful how you use it.

8. Thanatos is super important to Liz. Stand C is a two hit normal that pushes back, generating some space for you. However, Thanatos is not safe and Liz herself can't cover him. If you're in that situation you have 5 practical options. Stand C again, Stand D, Crouch C, Jump C, and nothing. Have your opponent effectively shook up and you'll be able to get away with doing nothing, which is cool since Thantos will be back with you and you can start doing Mazio again! Of course, good players can react to a lot of these options, so expect to get your card broken. It's pretty inevitable, so don't feel too bad.

9. Don't use AAA string ever. It is terrible. Instead learn this combo.

5B 2B j.B j.C EX Garudyne while holding down, then slowly transition to downforward, wait a bit for them to drop, 5B 5C 2C B Bufudyne.

You can also start this combo with one (just one!) crouch A. At the end you can tack on a bunch of stuff depending on if you wanna spend meter or not and where you wanna position them, such as EX Maragi (as long as they're not close to the corner), run forward some EX Mazio, run forward a bit B Mazio, or run forward a lot A Mazio. This probably isn't the best combo for super entry level beginners, but you should practice it as it is not that hard.

10. Crouch C is a crazy normal. It has armor after the startup, and if they touch it they get hit guaranteed. You can follow it up with other stuff, but you must cancel very fast. There's a little trick to help you with that!. If you input a special move during courch C's animation, the move won't preform itself unless crouch C actually hits. So time the buffer of the move you want to come out based on your screen position, regardless of if couch C hits or not. Typical moves include A Mazio, Ex Mazio, and B Bufu (this one only if they're on the opposite side of the screen/the corner).

11. Ghastly Wail is okay. It grabs based on Thanatos' position, but you can't really tick with it using Thanatos normals because they can jump after the super flash every time. It gains damage from fear, but Crouch C fear increases that damage even more, dealing a whooping 6300!!! Still, in most situations you probably shouldn't go for it. But it is useful to keep in the back pocket.

12. Her Stand D is a grab. If it counter/fatal counter hits, you can wait for them to hit the wall, then 5B 5C 2C B Bufudyne into typical enders. If it normal hits I would recommend you do j.A j.B j.A j.B j.C or any version of Garudyne. There is a better combo but it would be quite hard for you I think.

13. Don't get hit why did you loving get hit fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That's it...

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Generally good advice, lemme add to it.

- Keep in mind that you can stack ailements (I once had someone confused/feared/poisoned all at the same time, it looked pretty silly)

- EX garudyne is actually super awesomely good, comes out fast with a big hitbox that nulls projectiles, and the EX version lets you move after doing it meaning you wont get completely murdered.

- A version bufudyne comes out pretty fast and is air unblockable, meaning it has some use if people like to constantly jump away from thanatos blockstrings

- Another mind charge tip, if you're close to being in awakening you have 0 reason to not use this move, it's free (going into awakening gives you 50 meter) and the defence boost will help you surive a little big longer (while many characters can otherwise kill you before you even get a change to activate awakening)

- crouching C -> B bufu -> all out attack -> one more cancel -> ghastly wail adds something disgusting like 4000 damage to any combo

- If you air turn before using her jump D (the air grab) it has almost double the range and goes from being garabge to being really good!

- Speaking of anti airs mash on crouching B it's really awesome (all her b attacks are really awesome but this one is awesome x2)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I play Story Mode in this, there's a thin black line at the bottom of the screen filled with colored dots and lines, sort of like Morse code. It looks like graphical noise, but the line changes when I pause and scroll through the options. Does this thing serve some kind of purpose, or is it a glitch?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I've never cared about a fighting game from it's release before; any idea when frame data will start coming out? I'm curious to look up startup and active frames on some stuff, but it doesn't look like anybody's posted it on dustloop or MM.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Oxxidation posted:

When I play Story Mode in this, there's a thin black line at the bottom of the screen filled with colored dots and lines, sort of like Morse code. It looks like graphical noise, but the line changes when I pause and scroll through the options. Does this thing serve some kind of purpose, or is it a glitch?

Sounds like the control guide's being cut off, try changing the scaling in the video options to option B. I had the exact same problem in BBCT; hell, that's what made me get an HDMI cord for my 360 in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sounds like the control guide's being cut off, try changing the scaling in the video options to option B. I had the exact same problem in BBCT; hell, that's what made me get an HDMI cord for my 360 in the first place.

Sounds like that, yeah, given that the corners are all cut off, too. Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, Christ almighty, not even Atlus' localization team could do much with the word-vomit that is the visual novel format. I've resorted to just blazing past almost every line of text that isn't spoken and I'm less than halfway through Yu's chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

For story mode you can go into options and enable one-button skipping, which takes you straight to the next choice or fight when you press R2 or something (still takes time because it plays through everything). I guess usually it only lets you do that on your second playthrough.

• Locked thread