Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm heavily pushing the Focus idea since every Civic and Corolla locally are being sold by delusional people. $10K for a 1994 Civic with 150,000 miles? No thank you.

Proteges tend to go cheaper and are better IMO. Look into the Protege5 which is a four door hatch and is a much better car than a Focus.

Throatwarbler posted:

If the old lady wants a Beetle, I don't see how buying a Focus is going to solve your problems. Just get her the Beetle, you only live once.

No don't do this if you're the one that's going to be working on her car. I drew the line with my wife a long time ago, If I'm going to be working on the cars, here's a list you can choose from. If it was up to her we'd have a Land Rover Disco in the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't find a single Protege for sale within 75 miles. I found a 2003 Corolla with a 5 speed and 140K miles. They are asking $13K for it. That's pretty much the story for anything Toyota or Honda around here since Cash4 Clunkers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, where do you live? Might wanna think about going out of state or just waiting. Just have cash in hand and be ready to jump on a good deal because they go quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fort Wayne Indiana. We're really close to the site of the Auburn auto show and you can tell, there's a higher concentration of car dealers in this part of the state than most other similarly sized cities. We have two "auto-malls" and easily 100 small lot dealers. There's two within walking distance of my house.
So that said, they gobble up a good number of the sought after cars. The selection on CL is horrible junk or massively over priced. When I was looking for her Jeep I ended up buying out of state because there wasn't a good deal to be found. I've decided to try and sell the Jeep myself as I think I can get more out of it in cash than I could get in trade but I still won't have much more to put into this new car for her.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sandoz posted:

Well nobody has responded to this yet, but I've upped my budget to around $15k and I'm considering a 4-door Civic Si. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

My brother has an 06 Si coupe and he loves it. I've driven it a bit and it felt like a solid, fun car... But my Mazdaspeed3 simply spanks it in every category other than perhaps fuel economy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fort Wayne Indiana. We're really close to the site of the Auburn auto show and you can tell, there's a higher concentration of car dealers in this part of the state than most other similarly sized cities. We have two "auto-malls" and easily 100 small lot dealers. There's two within walking distance of my house.
So that said, they gobble up a good number of the sought after cars. The selection on CL is horrible junk or massively over priced. When I was looking for her Jeep I ended up buying out of state because there wasn't a good deal to be found. I've decided to try and sell the Jeep myself as I think I can get more out of it in cash than I could get in trade but I still won't have much more to put into this new car for her.

One way plane tickets are cheap. It may sound extreme, but flying to Florida to pick up a completely rust free car is not a bad idea. I can tell you right now, you'd easily find a very nice Civic/Corolla/Protege in your price range in the area I live in (Tampa Bay). Fly down, take a little vacation on the beach then drive back up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

One way plane tickets are cheap. It may sound extreme, but flying to Florida to pick up a completely rust free car is not a bad idea. I can tell you right now, you'd easily find a very nice Civic/Corolla/Protege in your price range in the area I live in (Tampa Bay). Fly down, take a little vacation on the beach then drive back up.

I've thought about it, I really have but currently I can't get any time off work and my girlfriend isn't contributing to this purchase so I'm not very inclined to go the extra mile on this. I'm just annoyed as hell the longer this goes on.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

IOwnCalculus posted:

My brother has an 06 Si coupe and he loves it. I've driven it a bit and it felt like a solid, fun car... But my Mazdaspeed3 simply spanks it in every category other than perhaps fuel economy.

I check out the 3 when I bought my civic. I chose the civic because the 3 was about 4-5k more and had 2 less stars in most of the crash tests.

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
I've narrowed my desired car down to either a Mazda3 hatchback or a Mazda Protege5. Three weeks of searching around the Cincinnati area (and Kentucky and Indiana...) have yielded barely any results. I know because I'm only looking for a manual transmission my options are limited, but drat. Are these cars pretty popular and get snatched up quickly? If I can't find one soon I'll go buy the blue Mazda3 hatch with a hotwheels style flames coming from the wheels - always a classy choice.

Today while browsing a dealer website I stumbled upon a newly listed red 2004 Mazda3 s hatchback. It has 91,000 miles, manual transmission, cloth seats. They are asking $9000. KBB lists the car with that mileage for 9,686, Emunds says the market value is around 7-8.5 thousand depending on the condition and options.

It seems like a good deal to me, especially because they seem hard to find, and it's the type of car I want. The mileage is fantastic. What are some of your opinions? If the car looks in good shape should I go for it? Try to talk them down?

I have 5500 cash on hand, a 97 Saturn for trade in (I hope), and a credit card that has a high enough limit. Should I expect to be able to even use a credit card? Should I try to get a small loan from my bank?

My Saturn is on its last legs and after three weeks of looking I feel like I need to purchase a car very soon.

And, because, hotwheelz leadin’ the way

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Eurekapile posted:

I've narrowed my desired car down to either a Mazda3 hatchback or a Mazda Protege5. Three weeks of searching around the Cincinnati area (and Kentucky and Indiana...) have yielded barely any results. I know because I'm only looking for a manual transmission my options are limited, but drat. Are these cars pretty popular and get snatched up quickly? If I can't find one soon I'll go buy the blue Mazda3 hatch with a hotwheels style flames coming from the wheels - always a classy choice.

Today while browsing a dealer website I stumbled upon a newly listed red 2004 Mazda3 s hatchback. It has 91,000 miles, manual transmission, cloth seats. They are asking $9000. KBB lists the car with that mileage for 9,686, Emunds says the market value is around 7-8.5 thousand depending on the condition and options.

It seems like a good deal to me, especially because they seem hard to find, and it's the type of car I want. The mileage is fantastic. What are some of your opinions? If the car looks in good shape should I go for it? Try to talk them down?

I have 5500 cash on hand, a 97 Saturn for trade in (I hope), and a credit card that has a high enough limit. Should I expect to be able to even use a credit card? Should I try to get a small loan from my bank?

My Saturn is on its last legs and after three weeks of looking I feel like I need to purchase a car very soon.

And, because, hotwheelz leadin’ the way

Just some things to look out for in an inspection (from consumer reports):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eurekapile posted:

I wouldn't expect them to give you poo poo for the Saturn unless it's in exceptional condition...which it isn't. That's a 15 year old car, which that dealership has no interest in trying to sell, and it's worth roughly fuckall on the auction circle. I tried that with my '88 Volvo 240 when I bought my MS3 (because I didn't want to deal with selling it), and they didn't even want to make an offer on it. :v: Keep the Saturn, try to sell it privately once you're able to; if it can drive away under its own power and be registered, it's probably still worth $1k give or take. For the two cars I've bought at dealerships, I put the down payment on a CC each time because a) it's so much easier than dicking around with cash or checks and b) hey, rewards! However...

quote:

Unless your car is actively falling apart - and I mean in a truly terrible way - do not get suckered into thinking you have to have THIS car and you have to have it NOW if you aren't completely comfortable with the car, its condition, and its price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Are there any comparison breakdowns/reviews/feature-lists to help me figure out how Subaru differentiates the new Impreza's from the Outback's? It looks like the Outback is intended to fall between the Forester and Impreza in their lineup but as the Forester has gotten lower and the Impreza has gotten bigger I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between them.

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't expect them to give you poo poo for the Saturn unless it's in exceptional condition...which it isn't. .....
I put the down payment on a CC each time because a) it's so much easier than dicking around with cash or checks and b) hey, rewards!
I like the idea of putting the down payment on my CC. I'll try to get a car loan from the bank for the rest of the cost. Is it a reasonable possibility to go to the bank and walk out with a car loan and a check to give the dealer?

I'm not surprised the dealer won't be interested in my Saturn. Between the ducttape securing the shifter to the cable, rusty frame and the quarts of oil burned off per week, it's a rather worthless car. But hey the AC and heat work.

wide stance posted:

Helpful Chart

This is great. It reminded me I'll need to check on the engine mounts because apparently they can give out in this car. And to check for rust. Stupid rusty Ohio.

I did see the carfax. The car has one owner, regular dealer maintenance, no major repairs. Good signs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Protege5s are fairly rare - they were only sold for three years in the US - and manual versions are in the minority of examples. The automatic is of the type where you can switch to a "manual mode" - no clutch but you get to select the gear you're in and the car will only override your choice if your choice would be dangerous (a money shift). If that's good enough to satisfy your desire for control, then you might go for an auto.

I don't see why you should do anything with your credit card. You should talk to your bank about a used car loan - not all banks offer them, but if yours doesn't, look for credit unions because many of them do.

When you go to buy, negotiate price first (and absolutely you should negotiate: the dealer-listed price on a used car is not the least they'll take for it). Once the price is set in stone, then discuss down payments and financing. If you already have an offer from a bank in your pocket you can let the dealer offer you something, and then if it's not as good as your bank, show them the bank offer and see if they can beat it.

Most dealers would far rather finance a car than take cash so they are likely to make you a good offer, particularly if your credit is good and you already have a financing option from your bank.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FYI on the CC aspect - I instantly took the cash I had earmarked for said downpayment and threw it at the card. Actually keeping debt for a car on a CC is a hilariously bad idea since car loans are much lower interest in almost all situations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When I bought my car I negotiated a rate with my credit union before hand. It was easy, they had an IM service and secured the loan without leaving the house. When I was finishing up with the dealership we talked about financing. It was a 30 second conversation, he just said there would be no way to match the rate.

I got 1.5k for a 1999 Mazda 626 5 years ago so good luck with your Saturn.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Proposed Budget: 15,000 - 20,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door w/ trunk/saloon
How will you be using the car?: For the girlfriend to commute to and from work, and frequent highway roadtrips on less than perfect highways
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: Yes
What aspects are most important to you:

Looking for a once expensive, now not so expensive big comfy highway car. Important to have lots of horsepower, and able to cruise easily at 80mph or so. HID lights are preferred. It will be driven 3x a week to commute to work, and the rest of the time used to travel from Buttass Alberta to Vancouver BC every few weeks.

So far I've been looking at the Chrysler 300c and SRT8, I think 2006 has the HID lamps ? These range from 13,500 to $20,000

Also the 2008 Cadillac STS with 320 horsepower v6 can be had for under $20,000. The CTS is slightly small.

Is there a comparable Lincoln ? I would assume the Mercedes and BMW variants would be 10 or 15,000 more expensive for the same options...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, a 2008 Pontiac G8 with the same 320hp V6 would be right around $20k, it's about the same legnth as the STS but wider and roomier with a bigger trunk. A 2009 Hyundai Genesis V6 would also squeak under the $20k mark now. They're both pretty solidly reliable and I think the Hyundai should still be under a bit of the factory warranty. You could also squeak into a 2007-8 Infiniti M35, which are reliable with decent interiors.

But your girlfriend *does* have a boyfriend who's pretty good with cars, so I would definitely be test driving some out of warranty VW Phaetons, Jaguar XJs, V8 5ers (545i/550i) and supercharged E55 AMGs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Proposed Budget: 10K or less
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon or Hatchback exception for roomy shooting brake style car.
How will you be using the car?: Sunday driver around town, bi-weekly trips to Reno (160 miles round trip) for groceries/etc., occasionally loading up my band equipment in it, enjoying leisurely drives to Lake Tahoe, etc.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Eh, sort of. I like leather and walnut, but I don't care about navigation or anything like that.
What aspects are most important to you?: A good mix of style, uniqueness, comfort, driving pleasure, and reliability.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS: Strong preference for manual transmission, rear wheel drive.

My daily commuter cars/backup cars/etc. are being re-arranged in my fleet at the moment as I decide what I want to send to the scrapper, and I've decided to start looking at buying a new to me car of the type above, probably some time in the next year. I'm a bit torn, though, about what to really narrow my search down to. I've looked around at BMWs but I can't find a wagon with a manual that has fewer than a gazillion miles. Mercedes wagons are really cool but the new ones cost too much, the older ones are unreliable, and the really old ones nobody wants to part with. A Saab wagon would be great (9-5 or 9-2) but there's availability problems in this area. I briefly entertained the idea of picking up an old XJ6 and doing a chevy swap on it but I'm already eyeballs deep in my Austin project so I really want something turn key. Anyway I think you guys get the idea of what I'm looking for, but what cars should I specifically be looking for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

jonathan posted:

How will you be using the car?: For the girlfriend to commute to and from work, and frequent highway roadtrips on less than perfect highways

Looking for a once expensive, now not so expensive big comfy highway car. Important to have lots of horsepower, and able to cruise easily at 80mph or so. HID lights are preferred. It will be driven 3x a week to commute to work, and the rest of the time used to travel from Buttass Alberta to Vancouver BC every few weeks.

So far I've been looking at the Chrysler 300c and SRT8, I think 2006 has the HID lamps ? These range from 13,500 to $20,000

Also the 2008 Cadillac STS with 320 horsepower v6 can be had for under $20,000. The CTS is slightly small.

Is there a comparable Lincoln ? I would assume the Mercedes and BMW variants would be 10 or 15,000 more expensive for the same options...

If you want something heinously reliable and boring, Toyota Avalon.

Just some other ideas in a similar vein:
Lexus LS V8 is OK but the five speed auto had issues.
Ford Taurus isn't too bad but is lower power.
Volvo S80 is a nice choice and a little less common
Buick Lacrosse Super (2008 only)
Buick Lucerne Super (probably a better choice than the Lacrosse)

Any car that you can buy with the exception of A/B segment cars can cruise easily at 80 MPH.

I like the idea of the G8 though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Proposed Budget: $15-20k (trade in value + 3-4k down)
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Large sedan/SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting
What aspects are most important to you?: Mileage/Interior comfort

I've been driving around a 2002 Honda Civic EX since 2006 or so and I'm starting to get a bit tired of it. I own the vehicle (paid off in 2009), and it's been great reliability-wise. I've maintained it regularly, changing oil, air filters, and in 2011 replaced the brakes and struts, earlier this year I replaced the timing belt and water pumps in advance of any need. I took some hail damage to the body but it's dark blue and quite hard to notice unless you're close and staring right at it (though I realize that this will impact the trade-in value). It has ~110,000 miles on it. Overall, it's been a great car, buuuuut...

It's not the most comfortable. I'm around 6'5" and 200 pounds and it's pretty tight given the length of my legs, even with the seat fully back, especially on long trips. I'd like a more spacious cabin. I realize that this is relatively frivolous need, but given that I commute pretty regularly (~22mi/day) and occasionally take trips in the mountains here in Colorado, it makes a big difference to me.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2012

RushMix
May 16, 2007
Proposed Budget: 4K down payment, ~350 /mo
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Commuting on the highway, 2-3 hour trips for fun every few months.
What aspects are most important to you? A decently fun manual drive, 30 MPG or so highway, easy and cheap to maintain. I can go American if that'll get me a better deal if I do scheduled maintenance. I'd like the car to last five years or more (before it turns into monthly repair situation).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jonathan posted:

You can get practically new 2011 Crown Vics in that price range with really low miles. IIRC all the newer ones can run on E85 too. Giant trunk, perfect highway car, dependable as hell and cheap to own.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Proposed Budget: 10K or less
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon or Hatchback exception for roomy shooting brake style car.
How will you be using the car?: Sunday driver around town, bi-weekly trips to Reno (160 miles round trip) for groceries/etc., occasionally loading up my band equipment in it, enjoying leisurely drives to Lake Tahoe, etc.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Eh, sort of. I like leather and walnut, but I don't care about navigation or anything like that.
What aspects are most important to you?: A good mix of style, uniqueness, comfort, driving pleasure, and reliability.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS: Strong preference for manual transmission, rear wheel drive.

My daily commuter cars/backup cars/etc. are being re-arranged in my fleet at the moment as I decide what I want to send to the scrapper, and I've decided to start looking at buying a new to me car of the type above, probably some time in the next year. I'm a bit torn, though, about what to really narrow my search down to. I've looked around at BMWs but I can't find a wagon with a manual that has fewer than a gazillion miles. Mercedes wagons are really cool but the new ones cost too much, the older ones are unreliable, and the really old ones nobody wants to part with. A Saab wagon would be great (9-5 or 9-2) but there's availability problems in this area. I briefly entertained the idea of picking up an old XJ6 and doing a chevy swap on it but I'm already eyeballs deep in my Austin project so I really want something turn key. Anyway I think you guys get the idea of what I'm looking for, but what cars should I specifically be looking for?
I think you need to travel a bit more and look for e34/e39 wagons.
Or you could track down the elusive e36 325i (not ix) manual wagon.

Or you could do something crazy and get Buick Roadmaster with an LT1. Boats can be fun.

As for MBZ, I never heard as many bad things about the E-classes in the terrible era as C-classes and others.

(Or you could just buy a Subaru. All the cool kids are doing it.)

Honestly, unless it is an outback, there's a decent chance you'll have to road trip or buy a ticket for a wagon, particularly with a stick and not FWD. I had to go to Utah, that is where all the manual station wagons live for some reason.

RushMix posted:

Proposed Budget: 4K down payment, ~350 /mo
How will you be using the car?: Commuting on the highway, 2-3 hour trips for fun every few months.
What aspects are most important to you? A decently fun manual drive, 30 MPG or so highway, easy and cheap to maintain. I can go American if that'll get me a better deal if I do scheduled maintenance. I'd like the car to last five years or more (before it turns into monthly repair situation).
Don't shop by payment, shop by price. Go to your credit uion and figure out what those numbers mean in a price tag.

a shameful boehner posted:

I've been driving around a 2002 Honda Civic EX since 2006 or so and I'm starting to get a bit tired of it. I own the vehicle (paid off in 2009), and it's been great reliability-wise. I've maintained it regularly, changing oil, air filters, and in 2011 replaced the brakes and struts, earlier this year I replaced the timing belt and water pumps in advance of any need. I took some hail damage to the body but it's dark blue and quite hard to notice unless you're close and staring right at it (though I realize that this will impact the trade-in value). It has ~110,000 miles on it. Overall, it's been a great car, buuuuut...

It's not the most comfortable. I'm around 6'5" and 200 pounds and it's pretty tight given the length of my legs, even with the seat fully back, especially on long trips. I'd like a more spacious cabin. I realize that this is relatively frivolous need, but given that I commute pretty regularly (~22mi/day) and occasionally take trips in the mountains here in Colorado, it makes a big difference to me.
At the top of your range, but you could go sit in a new Sonata. I'm very slightly smaller than you (6'4") and it is a nice place to be. Claims 35 mpg on the highway.
The Kia Optima is basically the same thing, though I've not driven one.
They'll leave the showroom for about $20k speced near base (which is still nice), but if you're doing a loan, you'll get a much better rate on a new car than a used one and should likely offset the difference.

jonathan posted:

I didn't see reliability mentioned.
Volkswagen Phaeton. In 2004 it really was the best sedan in the class. Shares a platform with the Bentley Continental, and if you want gizmos, it has them. First car with 4-zone climate. Optional adjustable rear seat. Amazingly comfortable.
Don't get the W12 unless you didn't mention reliability because you're a master mechanic with a professional garage and has the special tools for a W12 (This is important. You apparently need some fancy engine tray if you what to do a lot of repairs unless you want to physically lift the massive rear end engine out of the bay). The V8 isn't so special, but that means someone knows how to fix it and doesn't require fancy tools (for a VAG product)
Seriously, if you're not scared of a repair bill, this is your car.

Also, the D2 (-2002) Audi S8.

The G8 GT is the sane suggestion. That or a last gen Infiniti M35/45. Probably the most reliable car in the class (at least the 35, don't have info on the v8) and deprecation has hit them like rocks.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 23, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I didn't see reliability mentioned.

:ssh:Know your AI posters.

jonathan, forget that bullshit I said about buying a Hyundai, I didn't realize how cheap a W12 Phaeton was. I've gone ahead and found the car for you already. The only thing left for you to do is buy it and post a thread in AI.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

:ssh:Know your AI posters.

jonathan, forget that bullshit I said about buying a Hyundai, I didn't realize how cheap a W12 Phaeton was. I've gone ahead and found the car for you already. The only thing left for you to do is buy it and post a thread in AI.
Ok, then yes, he should buy a W12 Phaeton.
It does need a bunch of special tools apparently though.

They are such cool cars though.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 23, 2012

RushMix
May 16, 2007
Proposed Budget: 8-10k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Ok, then yes, he should buy a W12 Phaeton.
It does need a bunch of special tools apparently though.

They are such cool cars though.

To service everything associated with the W12 phaeton you need like 40k in special tools from VAG.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nm posted:

I think you need to travel a bit more and look for e34/e39 wagons.
Or you could track down the elusive e36 325i (not ix) manual wagon.

Or you could do something crazy and get Buick Roadmaster with an LT1. Boats can be fun.

As for MBZ, I never heard as many bad things about the E-classes in the terrible era as C-classes and others.

(Or you could just buy a Subaru. All the cool kids are doing it.)

Honestly, unless it is an outback, there's a decent chance you'll have to road trip or buy a ticket for a wagon, particularly with a stick and not FWD. I had to go to Utah, that is where all the manual station wagons live for some reason.

I guess I might have to just go a lot farther, then. :sigh:

In that case I'll probably stick to the BMW wagons, unless I find a Merc that I really like (like this one that according to some sources of mine has an extremely shady history and a bunch of red flags to stay away from.) I've never really enjoyed Subarus at all.

A Roadmaster would be pretty great from a hot rod stand point but I'm not sure I want to deal with another crappy GM interior in my life at this point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a shameful boehner posted:

Big rear end Cars (used):

Buick LaCrosse / Lucerne - how have I recommended buicks twice? Anyway, LaCrosse is smaller, Lucerne is larger. Nice GM engines and powertrains, good size, features and comfort. GM depreciation.
Ford 500 - lackluster engine choices, but high driving position, quite large, and based on the Volvo P2 platform (safe, comfortable).
Toyota Avalon - tough to find one at your price point but god drat they're the best Buick GM never built.
Hyundai Azera - A higher-value Avalon competitor. Pretty great car.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks a bunch for all those suggestions. I will research all of these. As I am stuck at a drilling rig probably for the next 24 hours, my internet connection is pretty poor. The Infinity m35/45. Is that similar to a g35 4 door or larger ? The g35 while nice, is a bit small.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jonathan posted:

Thanks a bunch for all those suggestions. I will research all of these. As I am stuck at a drilling rig probably for the next 24 hours, my internet connection is pretty poor. The Infinity m35/45. Is that similar to a g35 4 door or larger ? The g35 while nice, is a bit small.

Quite a it larger. A 5 series competitor, but a bit bigger inside. I fit better in the back than in a SWB A8.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Big rear end Cars (used):

Buick LaCrosse / Lucerne - how have I recommended buicks twice? Anyway, LaCrosse is smaller, Lucerne is larger. Nice GM engines and powertrains, good size, features and comfort. GM depreciation.
Ford 500 - lackluster engine choices, but high driving position, quite large, and based on the Volvo P2 platform (safe, comfortable).
Toyota Avalon - tough to find one at your price point but god drat they're the best Buick GM never built.
Hyundai Azera - A higher-value Avalon competitor. Pretty great car.

The 3800/4 speed auto combo that those Buicks had got pretty awful fuel economy compared to something like the Avalon's 3.5l DOHC V6 with VVT and 6 speed transmission, especially in the city. It's not like you could drive everywhere in 6th gear like an LS1 Camaro either. I guess they are "nice" cars because all the other FWD GM garbage at the time was also shoddily built and unreliable, *in addition* to being 10 years behind the Japanese in performance and fuel economy, so GM apologists take what they can get.

The Ford 500 had massive transmission issues if they came with the CVT. Eventually Ford stopped using CVTs entirely and closed the entire plant down.

I don't usually recommend it but you should probably check out a 4 cyl Accord. Honda resale values aren't good for the used buyer but those things only started at around ~$22k new so you should be ble to get into a decently new one, and it otherwise fulfills all your needs - the front seats are about as roomy as a Lucerne.

nm posted:

Quite a it larger. A 5 series competitor, but a bit bigger inside. I fit better in the back than in a SWB A8.

It has an interior that at least tries to be a luxury car too. The old G35's center consol was entirely shiny plastic.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would buy the Northstar on the Lucerne and the High Feature V6 on the LaCrosse, but you're right that the 3800s primary good feature is that it's completely bulletproof.

edit: I think it's also hilarious if you're calling me a GM apologist but I can't quite be sure if you are or not

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That phaeton is neat. The exterior styling is somewhat bland, and I cringe at a navigation/ media center from 2004. I emailed to ask what engine is in that Calgary one.

Seems like it would be a troubleshooting nightmare if/when things go wrong. 4 air compressors for 4 air actuated struts!

Anybody have an idea wHat the fuel range is for one of these ? My Jeep JK Rubicon gets 15L/100km in town and 11.5 on the highway. This allows me to get to Vancouver from Grande Prairie with a fill up in Jasper and then in Kamloops. Each requiring about 2/3 of a tank.

The phaetons specs on wikipedia are worded strangely. If it gets less than 10mpg then that is simply throwing money away. The 300c I've been driving gets around 9.5L/100km which is good considering the acceleration at highway speeds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Proposed Budget: $15k
New or Used: either, but at least new-ish.
Body Style: 4- or 5-door compact to midsized.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute of 5-7 miles, plus normal errands.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, gas mileage, and low maintenance costs are most important.

My wife and I are looking to sell my '98 Taurus and get something that's nicer and doesn't need something fixes every other month or so. I rather like Honda Fits, but I also like the look of the newer Focuses. This weekend, we're going to go to some dealerships and browse, but I'd like to know if there's anything in this market sector that's particularly good or bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Going to throw in my two cents here - we had a '97 E320 (W210 with the last year of the inline six instead of the V6), inherited from my grandmother. I thought it was an absolutely amazing car to drive; very comfortable ride that was still remarkably hoon-friendly, an awesome (if just too quiet) exhaust note once you pass the cam-adjust threshold, and the best automatic I've ever seen, hands down. I also ended up in more legal trouble in that car than I've ever been in my whole life.

Problem was it was impossible to keep on the road for any reasonable amount of money. The DIY community for it isn't great as it's probably one of the first cars where MB became even more actively anti-DIY, and the problem points for the car never got any updated parts. So when it broke one of the four window regulators AGAIN, you knew the part going in was going to fail in the exact same way and about the same timeframe as the one coming out. Same for the bulb sockets in the rear lights. Good luck finding out how to change the "lifetime" ATF in the dipstickless transmission.

The price on them is cheap enough these days to make them tempting, but the cost of ownership was pretty ridiculous, even back when the car was worth some money.

RushMix
May 16, 2007

RushMix posted:

Proposed Budget: 8-10k

What are some mileage ranges I should be looking at for Camrys, Neons, Corollas, Civics, and Accords? What problems should I keep an eye out for below 70,000 miles?

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

hooah posted:

Proposed Budget: $15k
New or Used: either, but at least new-ish.
Body Style: 4- or 5-door compact to midsized.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute of 5-7 miles, plus normal errands.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, gas mileage, and low maintenance costs are most important.

My wife and I are looking to sell my '98 Taurus and get something that's nicer and doesn't need something fixes every other month or so. I rather like Honda Fits, but I also like the look of the newer Focuses. This weekend, we're going to go to some dealerships and browse, but I'd like to know if there's anything in this market sector that's particularly good or bad.

For what it's worth, I just bought a 2012 Focus new and have been enjoying it. It's a very smooth ride and decent fun with the 5-speed. I got the regular Sync electronics (the non-touchscreen kit) and the voice commands are neat and very intuitive. Ford is giving $2000 cash back in order to clear out the 2012's to make way for the 2013's. I'd definitely give one a shot. $15k could get you a decently kitted out sedan, figure $16k ish for the hatch. I got the hatch and I think it's the more practical and better looking of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jonathan posted:

That phaeton is neat. The exterior styling is somewhat bland, and I cringe at a navigation/ media center from 2004. I emailed to ask what engine is in that Calgary one.

Seems like it would be a troubleshooting nightmare if/when things go wrong. 4 air compressors for 4 air actuated struts!

Anybody have an idea wHat the fuel range is for one of these ? My Jeep JK Rubicon gets 15L/100km in town and 11.5 on the highway. This allows me to get to Vancouver from Grande Prairie with a fill up in Jasper and then in Kamloops. Each requiring about 2/3 of a tank.

The phaetons specs on wikipedia are worded strangely. If it gets less than 10mpg then that is simply throwing money away. The 300c I've been driving gets around 9.5L/100km which is good considering the acceleration at highway speeds.

It has a 24 gal tank.
EPA says
V8 14/16/21
W12 11/13/17