Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Stupid question (on english words): When someone is deliberately overestimating his need in a budget, to play a budgetting game - does that have a word in english (and not overestimating)..

Websters failed me!

Generally referred to as "budgetary slack", as in "Manager X is trying to build himself some budgetary slack by over-estimating his costs in the fourth quarter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Padding the budget?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Semisponge posted:

Padding the budget?

This is the term I would use.

"Bob is padding the budget in order to try and negotiate down to a price higher than the actual cost."

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Thanks! I will now accuse random people of padding their budgets (something also done to bras apparantly)

Seriously - thank you!

Edit: The people in question are not really random..

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Padding is also for male underwear models, HH. Let's not be sexist here.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Prepare a saucer of hoisin and sriracha mixture. I know some people like to add the hoisin and sriracha straight to the soup. I don't, I like the flavor of the broth by itself and I use the sauces for dipping the meats into.
I've been informed by a trusted source that the little saucers are intended for meat dipping, typically hoisin covered with pepper (and that pho is the only reason there's always a pepper shaker on the table). I do that and put the sriracha, sambal, and/or botulism chiles directly into the soup.

Other than that you eat pho about like I do. Especially this part:

quote:

Slurping is important. It is important for pretty much all asian noodle soups.
It's not just necessary, it's polite! :eng101:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bartolimu posted:

botulism chiles

What?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Desert Bus posted:

This is the term I would use.

"Bob is padding the budget in order to try and negotiate down to a price higher than the actual cost."

no no no

"bob is porking the budget"

is the correct term

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bob is pr0k's momming the budget

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

no no no

"bob is porking the budget"

is the correct term

so happy that someone else answered first.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Crushed chiles in oil, kept on every table of most Vietnamese restaurants I've been in.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

Crushed chiles in oil, kept on every table of most Vietnamese restaurants I've been in.

Yes but they're sooooo goooood.....

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Our apartment smells like the delicious chicken stock that is simmering away but the a/c is broken for probably the whole weekend and it's too loving hot for this mess.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Happy Hat posted:

so happy that someone else answered first.

When the US government passes laws, everyone involved tries to add on random pet projects in order to get them funded. These additions are called pork.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

At the county fair, eating fair food, drinking cheap beer. The girlfriend won a few ribbons in the canning competition, the livestock show is well attended, and it's almost time for the kids to do the mutton busting and the pig scramble.

Enjoying the country life.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At the county fair, eating fair food, drinking cheap beer. The girlfriend won a few ribbons in the canning competition, the livestock show is well attended, and it's almost time for the kids to do the mutton busting and the pig scramble.

Man why's your country life so cool and mine so full of assholes, it's not fair

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bartolimu posted:

I was under the impression that it's only unsafe if there is a useful amount of water trapped inside. The spores can't do anything without any water.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I used to do the fair thing every year. I won ribbons for giant pumpkins.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Did anyone else catch "Time Machine Chefs" on ABC last night? Chefs are put in a 'time machine' and sent back to history where they have to cook using authentic ingredients, materials and resources. At one point, they were using dogs running on big hamster wheels to turn spits in front of an open hearth.

There was very little focus on cooking unfortunately, but it was mildly entertaining.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Phummus posted:

Did anyone else catch "Time Machine Chefs" on ABC last night? Chefs are put in a 'time machine' and sent back to history where they have to cook using authentic ingredients, materials and resources. At one point, they were using dogs running on big hamster wheels to turn spits in front of an open hearth.

There was very little focus on cooking unfortunately, but it was mildly entertaining.

I dug it. A++ would watch again. Lots of meat/penis jokes.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I dug it. A++ would watch again. Lots of meat/penis jokes.

There were a lot of meat-touching jokes at Art Smith's expense, so yeah...there was that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggles, as someone who's "known" you for a few years now, it makes me really happy to hear that your family is so happy! Fair sounds like fun.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Heading off to Montreal for a little mini-vacation. Anyone have suggestions for things to do or joints to hit? So far, I've got Schwartz's and La Banquise on the list, and Pied De Cochon if we stumble into a stack of free money en route.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I just noticed Happy Abobo has my mom's catfish adobo in his av :3:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I just made bacon. From a whole pork belly. Should last me a year.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I just made bacon. From a whole pork belly. Should last me a yearweek.

Updated for goon reality.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I really don't eat much of the stuff, and if I do it's like one piece in a sitting. I made eight pounds. I'm done.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ugh, your perfectly reasonable restraint around a fad ingredient disgusts me.

:reject:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

Ugh, your perfectly reasonable restraint around a fad ingredient disgusts me.

:reject:
Yeah, what kind of loving goon does he think he is, all moderate and poo poo? Trying to make the rest of us look bad.*

* I don't actually eat bacon.

PS CC, I'm sure I've said this before, but as a honey-lover I really like your avatar.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Happy Abobo posted:

Heading off to Montreal for a little mini-vacation. Anyone have suggestions for things to do or joints to hit? So far, I've got Schwartz's and La Banquise on the list, and Pied De Cochon if we stumble into a stack of free money en route.

Get some Montreal-style bagels at St. Viateur or Fairmount Bagel.

La Banquise is only great at 3 am in the morning and you'll always have to wait. Poutineville does pretty great poutine and it's reasonably close to the plateau.

Burger de Ville is a good spot for dinner before going out.

Jean Talon market is cool to see and Parc du Mont-Royal is pretty amazing when the weather is good (check out the Tam Tams on Sunday if you get a chance).

Where are you going to be staying?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The breweries Dieu de Ciel and Unibroue are both in or near Montreal (Unibroue is in Chambly, I forget exactly where DdC is) and make delicious beers.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear GIF Stopping Addon to Chrome: You are my best friend. I love you.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
There's an addon that turns baby pictures into other pictures. I have mine set to cats.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bartolimu posted:

The breweries Dieu de Ciel and Unibroue are both in or near Montreal (Unibroue is in Chambly, I forget exactly where DdC is) and make delicious beers.

Oh yeah- Unibroue has a pretty awesome restaurant, too. It's traditional acadian foood (updated a bit) and they use their beers in many of the dishes. They also have all their beers on tap, many of which taste very different than the bottled version.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

Get some Montreal-style bagels at St. Viateur or Fairmount Bagel.

La Banquise is only great at 3 am in the morning and you'll always have to wait. Poutineville does pretty great poutine and it's reasonably close to the plateau.

Burger de Ville is a good spot for dinner before going out.

Jean Talon market is cool to see and Parc du Mont-Royal is pretty amazing when the weather is good (check out the Tam Tams on Sunday if you get a chance).

Where are you going to be staying?

Poutineville you say? I'll have to check that out. To be honest, I've never been that big on poutine, but every time I mention that to someone, they always say "You've just never had good poutine", which gets annoying. Ideally, I want to find the One True Poutine, just to see if I maintain ambivalence.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Happy Abobo posted:

Poutineville you say? I'll have to check that out. To be honest, I've never been that big on poutine, but every time I mention that to someone, they always say "You've just never had good poutine", which gets annoying. Ideally, I want to find the One True Poutine, just to see if I maintain ambivalence.

Cheesy, salty, meaty, frenchy fry-y, what's not to love?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Abobo posted:

Au Pied probably has one with a kilo of seared foie on top of it.

The poutines I've had were all okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. Haven Gastropub in Orange has a duck poutine I keep meaning to try, but with Bruxie (a waffle sandwich food stand) an equal distance from Bruery Provisions it's hard to justify interrupting my drinking to sit down in a restaurant.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Wiggles, as someone who's "known" you for a few years now, it makes me really happy to hear that your family is so happy! Fair sounds like fun.

Aw, thanks. Best forum best thread here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pied de Cochon was ridiculously underwhelming.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

NosmoKing posted:

Cheesy, salty, meaty, frenchy fry-y, what's not to love?

Oh, I like it well enough. A lot of people around here have an almost fanatical devotion to the stuff though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Joe Beef in Montreal is supposed to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Au Pied probably has one with a kilo of seared foie on top of it.

The poutines I've had were all okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. Haven Gastropub in Orange has a duck poutine I keep meaning to try, but with Bruxie (a waffle sandwich food stand) an equal distance from Bruery Provisions it's hard to justify interrupting my drinking to sit down in a restaurant.

:psyduck: You live around here too? I thought you lived in wherever after the EmeraldCity thread. (As a true Californian, I can't remember if it was Idaho or Iowa.) Bruxie is so awesome.

I have noted Bruery Provisions and in return I offer you Portola Coffee Lab: http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/