Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Thanks to the disable-DLC trick, I now - after four Fury cards, four Slayer cards, four Destroyer cards and two Demolisher cards - have the N7 Paladin!

I am enjoying Snap Freeze, but I am thinking I made a mistake speccing Energy Drain to boost my shields and to work in a wide radius, since I'm far more used to stripping shields with its cousin Overload. Would this be a better idea for my next respec card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuriel147
May 1, 2009
Thanks for the clarifications there guys - I will try those out. I have definitely noticed that I am less likely to get one - shotted with the turian. I will just have to cross my fingers for "balanced" squads so I can be a bit more effective with the old combinations. Cheers!

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
What's so terrible about the Eagle? I do okay with it, it honestly doesn't seem like some awful dud. I'm genuinely asking, I tend to mix up class and weapon and everything with each new game so maybe haven't compared it to alternatives objectively or anything.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Is Lift Grenades not causing biotic explosions a bug or intentional? I'm replaying single player, and a Singularity with a lift grenade thrown in the middle kills everything on Insanity. :bustem:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

zxqv8 posted:

I must be approaching it wrong or something. I have like 194% with a lightened hurricane and talon.

I have drain in field, but I can't get up on anything without dying first. I'm not sure why I'm getting floored all the time.

My build:
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#05RLOFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Soloed a gold with this yesterday, first time I've managed to solo gold :woop:

Annihilation field is amazing and you need it up and running at all times. The speed boost is more useful than extra damage. Drain at rank 6 is a given as it lets you be very aggressive and is a great gently caress you to husks and geth hunters. Rank 6 of dark channel can go either way. I prefer pierce because I normally will only be using it on the big stuff and it ruins banshees. For gear you want some sort of shield booster. I dont find myself using guns often with this character so I take a phalanx X with a piercing mod.

Some tips:

The dream situation for a fury is a tight corridor or cramped room full of enemies. Activate annihilation field, turn a corner and blow poo poo up with impunity. This makes her much more effective on maps like glacier or ghost.

You can do well on any map but on larger more open maps you need to either hang back and spam dark channel/throw or be sneaky and flank. You have speed and mobility so use them. Obviously running toward a group of enemies over open ground is suicidal. Even if you reach them and do some damage their friends to the side who you didnt see will gun you down in short order.

Map knowledge is important. You need to know which walls you can teleport through to escape and so on. Again small cramped maps are great for this.

Use heavy melee to close quickly with groups of basic soldiers. The shockwave will stagger them while the animation finishes and you get your bearings and then you can vaporise them all with explosions.

When you get close, prioritise shielded enemies like marauders and centurions. Draining their shields will add to your survivability and annihilation field damage will cause unshielded enemies to flail around in panic. If you can strip shields quickly with an explosion it will stop them from walking up to you and smacking you in the face.

Fury was my only N7 character for a long time and I thought she was garbage but you need to play for a while until the play style clicks. Close quarters with an adept is pretty much the definition of high risk high reward and once you develop a feel for the character you will do very well.

TJO posted:

What's so terrible about the Eagle? I do okay with it, it honestly doesn't seem like some awful dud. I'm genuinely asking, I tend to mix up class and weapon and everything with each new game so maybe haven't compared it to alternatives objectively or anything.

It isnt totally unusable and is better than most people make it out to be, but the recoil makes it useless at range and on higher difficulties its about as damaging as a mean look.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 18, 2012

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Magic Love Hose posted:

I am enjoying Snap Freeze, but I am thinking I made a mistake speccing Energy Drain to boost my shields and to work in a wide radius, since I'm far more used to stripping shields with its cousin Overload. Would this be a better idea for my next respec card?
Area Energy Drain is pretty good for detonating Tech Bursts, and the extra shield boost allows you to survive another Phantom shot from time to time (and is surely better than a slight decrease in cooldown time).

TJO posted:

What's so terrible about the Eagle?
The Eagle is is pretty much an Uncommon grade weapon that you are "awarded" in a limited commendation pack. It used to be the worst weapon in the game in terms of DPS before it got buffed to nearly double its damage, and even now its just not very impressive. It's usable as a light sidearm, but not much more than that. (and there are much better options for this too)

Houdini posted:

Is Lift Grenades not causing biotic explosions a bug or intentional? I'm replaying single player, and a Singularity with a lift grenade thrown in the middle kills everything on Insanity.
Lift Grenade biotic explosions only work on lifted targets, I believe. So you can't go Reave -> Lift Grenade -> BE, unfortunately.
Edit: Actually, this does work if the wiki is to be believed, but they can only detonate enemies without protection, which probably means you can't detonate armored enemies with them.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 18, 2012

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Houdini posted:

Is Lift Grenades not causing biotic explosions a bug or intentional? I'm replaying single player, and a Singularity with a lift grenade thrown in the middle kills everything on Insanity. :bustem:

The Lift Grenade does enough damage to kill the enemy before it can set off a biotic explosion, unless you chuck it at a Prime or something.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

TJO posted:

After they buffed it a few times it's now barely not worthless, though it still has the lowest pistol DPS unless you have it at something like lvl VII (my condolences). What makes it so comparatively lovely is that it's completely not worth being a promotional weapon - if it were gold rarity (while not even worth that) noone would seriously complain, just receiving it as a every-two-weeks "reward" item, and thus not receiving one of the worthwhile ones, is insulting. (Though the Crusader is pretty :geno:, too.)

The only thing it has going for it is its low weight and being full auto with high accuracy, making it a somewhat acceptable sidearm for a caster build. However, since the introduction of ULM for pistols the low weight far less of an advantage, especially when you have the Talon; on my Human Engineer I can pack both a Talon+ULM and Hurricane+ULM and still have 200% cooldown. Hell, even a much more easily obtained Piranha X will leave you at 170%+ cooldown, and that gun will actually do something if an enemy catches you off guard. There's just no reason to use the Eagle unless you just don't have any better guns/mods yet.

Though, even if I didn't have the Talon I'd pick something like the Phalanx, as I personally really don't care about full auto at all. Also, unlike most pistols it actually has recoil (of the kind that moves your aim) which is annoying to deal with on a controller and ruins long range damage output pretty effectively.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Doc Dee posted:

They should do something about these NOT popping up if you have the class level maxed out. I'd rather get a random consumable I'll almost likely never use than a Human Female Adept on my PSPs.
That's how it works for gold cards, but only because of the guarantee that you'll get a gold card and how worthless it is when you get a gold character you already have. A nice gesture that also keeps people buying PSPs. But there's no guarantees for regular ol' blue cards, so those haven't been changed.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Houdini posted:

Are you playing as an adept? They have cluster grenades in single player not lift grenades. Lift grenades prime and cluster detonates.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Are you playing as an adept? They have cluster grenades in single player not lift grenades. Lift grenades prime and cluster detonates.

Vanguard. I take Liara and the Protheon (I don't know why I don't know his name) who has Lift Grenades.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

TJO posted:

Whatever it does, other weapons do it better.

Want a lightweight automatic sidearm? Use a Hurricane/Tempest/Hornet. Just want a light weapon? Use a Carnifex/Paladin/Talon. They deliver more damage in less bullets, which means you spend less time out of cover and exposed.

Maybe if the Eagle was a regular gold weapon and we could easily get it to level X it might be worthwhile.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Houdini posted:

Vanguard. I take Liara and the Protheon (I don't know why I don't know his name) who has Lift Grenades.

The name is Javik. I just double checked and yeah lift grenades detonate as well as prime. Not sure why you're having trouble detonating unless you have teammates spaming overload or something.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

That DICK! posted:

Turian should at least get a weakass hop or something. They're not nearly as tough as Krogan or Batarian. I get that their race passives really promote staying behind cover, but gently caress that. Garrus eats missiles to the face all the time, man hates cover.

They should give turians AT LEAST the Vorcha duck and weave, and probably deserve the drell ninja flips if not better. According to the lore, turians are the most mobile race in the game by a pretty big margin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So far the dodges have only rarely helped me very much. I use them a lot on classes that have them, but typically I just get hit by whatever I was trying to dodge anyway. Because there are no invincibility frames and most of the things you would want to dodge just home anyway (rockets, that bullshit banshee projectile that continues to hurt you for a long time), it never really seems to do anything besides get me away from normal fire a fraction of a second faster. It seems like the only way to really be safe is to just entrench yourself behind cover, until a grenade or something comes along.

Or just have a ridiculous amount of defense. Started a Turian Sentinel and I'm amazed at how much damage he can take compared to the Drell Adept I was just using, which felt a bit like the N7 Fury experience posted above--Exist in a single enemy's field of view for more than a second and suddenly your barrier is gone and you're down to half a health bar.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
RE: Eagle
People poo poo on it because it's an okay gun when the Hurricane and Valiant are ridiculous (and getting an Eagle means you don't get one of those), and there are tons more okay guns that are significantly easier to level up. All my N7 weapons were at 2-3 until last weekend's Crusader IV, and only that high because I've done every single operation. Meanwhile all my silver and gold weapons are maxed, and even in ultra-rares I've got two Vs, three IVs, and so on. Some people have even more; hell, I heard some randoms chatting in a lobby the other day about "that's the first ultra-rare I got to X". :stare: Even if I had an Eagle X, which I'm glad I don't because then I'd only have a I of a single other N7 weapon, it would still face stiff competition from other guns that I've had at X for at least a couple months. Like the Predator. Or my new Indra III. Or maybe something that doesn't turn into a wet noodle on Gold, like the Carnifex.

Exodee posted:

Lift Grenade biotic explosions only work on lifted targets, I believe. So you can't go Reave -> Lift Grenade -> BE, unfortunately.
Edit: Actually, this does work if the wiki is to be believed, but they can only detonate enemies without protection, which probably means you can't detonate armored enemies with them.

I was just doing Warp->Lift Grenade on Ravagers in SP last night, and I think it happened about half the time. I chalked up the times it "didn't" happen to just being unable to tell through the Lift Grenade graphic/sound, though. It's fairly flashy and loud.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

So far the dodges have only rarely helped me very much. I use them a lot on classes that have them, but typically I just get hit by whatever I was trying to dodge anyway. Because there are no invincibility frames and most of the things you would want to dodge just home anyway (rockets, that bullshit banshee projectile that continues to hurt you for a long time). It seems like the only way to really be safe is to just entrench yourself behind cover, until a grenade or something comes along.

Dodging has intrinsic DR much like heavy melee does. Naturally some have better (batarian heavy melee has an outstanding amount, enough so that last night I took an Atlas rocket to the face during the animation and lost maybe 20% of my shields on Silver, while I think the drell's dodge has more DR than usual), but most of the time you won't really notice it. The dodge's true purpose is when you're thinking "okay, I need to be about 5 feet to the side RIGHT NOW". For example it's very handy for when you round a corner and spot a pair of Ravagers or Primes, or a horde of Phantoms or whatever. It can also be used just to be stylish when you've got nothing else to do, but naturally that doesn't really come up above Silver. (With the notable exception of trying to keep that last two bars of health for the final few seconds when extracting from Jade, because you can't be in cover to extract, and some DR is better than none.)

Oh, and speaking of entrenching yourself behind cover, being in cover has intrinsic DR as well. At the very least if a grenade is plopped at your feet (and I do mean directly under you) you take significantly less damage from just riding it out against cover that shouldn't protect you at all from the blast than if you tried to put some distance between you and it and didn't quite escape the blast radius.

Also welcome to the "Turian Sentinel is awesome" club. I bet if Garrus had Tech Armour he would've been just fine taking that rocket. :c00lbert:

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
So I just "got" the revenant today. the first time I used it I was wondering why such a loved gun takes half a magazine to kill a husk. Then I tried it with a turian and watched the yellow bars melt like butter off of atlases and pyros and banshees.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

People "love" the Revenant because it is a big fun bullethose not because it is good. If you build around or pair it with a complimentary class like a Turian you can make it work but it's not considered to be a good gun.

Here's the good AR's: Mattock, Harrier, and Typhoon. Some folks include the Phaeston on that list.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Well, whenever the RNG gets around to giving me some good ARs I can make the switch! I do have the mattock, but only at level 1. I just need to play more to get more boxes I think.

http://social.bioware.com/3882273/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_pc&pid=427575881&display=multiplayer

what're my best options here?

also, I added my name to the player list, but I should let people know I usually just slum it in a BatSol with a katana X and beat levels to death on silver.

alchahest fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 18, 2012

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Lagomorphic posted:

Here's the good AR's: Mattock, Harrier, and Typhoon. Some folks include the Phaeston on that list.
The Saber's pretty good as well, for its head-sniping potential. Although I guess the Harrier kinda stole its thunder.

Felinoid posted:

I was just doing Warp->Lift Grenade on Ravagers in SP last night, and I think it happened about half the time. I chalked up the times it "didn't" happen to just being unable to tell through the Lift Grenade graphic/sound, though. It's fairly flashy and loud.
Huh, does this also work in MP? Because in that case I might have underestimated the drat things. Too bad the classes that have them don't have any way to reliably prime targets.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Exodee posted:

The Saber's pretty good as well, for its head-sniping potential. Although I guess the Harrier kinda stole its thunder.

poo poo I forgot about the Sabre, and yes the Sabre is one of the good ones.

You don't have the armor piercing mod for the assault rifle so I'd avoid them for now. With that pool your best options are the Geth Plasma Shotgun and the Valiant. The GPSG bypasses the armor damage reduction so you don't need piercing run it with extended barrel and either the bayonet or spare clips.

Also if you want to get some fast/easy credits take this and start farming geth/gold/firebase white.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 18, 2012

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

They should give turians AT LEAST the Vorcha duck and weave, and probably deserve the drell ninja flips if not better. According to the lore, turians are the most mobile race in the game by a pretty big margin.

Looks pretty limber to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHStdhBf2FE

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Playing through Firebase Glacier on SP again after nearly five months is pure :psyduck:

"ahahahaha, guys the situation's desperate, they're sending ... *giggle* MULTIPLE Centurions at us! Pretty sure I saw a Guardian downstaahahahahahaha"

kinda wish I had more than a lovely Mantis I though. My Salarian Infiltrator would have been sitting on a mountain of corpses smoking a doobie when Cortez arrived and been all like "sup". Also having time slow down whenever anything interesting happens is surprisingly distracting.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

What's even more hilarious is your teammates still dropping like flies. Garrus, you stupid loving pubbie!

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Lagomorphic posted:

People "love" the Revenant because it is a big fun bullethose not because it is good. If you build around or pair it with a complimentary class like a Turian you can make it work but it's not considered to be a good gun.

The most fun I've ever had is running around with a Turian Soldier with a Revenant and a Hurricane :getin:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zifnab posted:

The most fun I've ever had is running around with a Turian Soldier with a Revenant and a Hurricane :getin:

Group of Turians Soldiers with Revenants and/or Hurricanes. We made it to wave 8 on Gold on Hydra, I think.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Apparantly missile glitching is still a thing. I'm in a platinum game with a guy doing it now. They're using a striker if that means anything.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Tremors posted:

Apparantly missile glitching is still a thing. I'm in a platinum game with a guy doing it now. They're using a striker if that means anything.

Yeah, I saw the same thing this afternoon, with the Striker as well.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Is this on any particular platform? I've heard of this on the 360, bit haven't seen it happen on PC.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I'm on 360. They're playing as a destroyer, which I wonder if the reason is cosmetic or if they think they're hiding anything.

edit: He sent me this message which I don't fully understand.

quote:

What you do is you get the striker out, and you take the missile launcher, you hold down rt shooting the missile up your round and count to two, and you hold down x, and then you shoot the striker and push up on the dpad.

Tremors fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 19, 2012

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tremors posted:

I'm on 360. They're playing as a destroyer, which I wonder if the reason is cosmetic or if they think they're hiding anything.

Are you sure it's not just that lovely skill Destroyers have, and not a real Missile Launcher?

Edit: Oh. Someone figured it out. They're gonna have to change how missiles work again, aren't they?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Rudoku posted:

Are you sure it's not just that lovely skill Destroyers have, and not a real Missile Launcher?

Edit: Oh. Someone figured it out. They're gonna have to change how missiles work again, aren't they?

You just planted the worst idea in my head. After ...

balance changes, July 31st & August 8th posted:

Pull
- Impact damage for all kits with pull is now 100 to match Asari Justicar

Arc Grenade Power (Male Quarian)
- Base damage decreased from 450 to 400 to match the N7 Demolisher

I'm suddenly expecting this:

balance changes, August 29th posted:

Cobra Missile Launcher
- Damage reduced to 150 to match N7 Destroyer
:shepicide:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Felinoid posted:

I'm suddenly expecting this:

:shepicide:

Oh god, ow, my brain! MY BRAIN!!!

They have to increase the Destroyer's damage, they just have to. Also, although it might be a long shot, maybe next patch they'll change the power's name. You know, along with the vanguard glitch.

:negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing like the game crashing 30 seconds before extraction, after getting random disconnects on waves 10 and 7 on the last two games.

I am never getting an N7 class at this rate.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Nothing like the game crashing 30 seconds before extraction, after getting random disconnects on waves 10 and 7 on the last two games.

I am never getting an N7 class at this rate.

That's why you get yourself killed after the wave 10 objective :colbert:. Force your teammates to run into a group of high level enemies and die before the game has a chance to dick you over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Enter Char posted:

That's why you get yourself killed after the wave 10 objective :colbert:. Force your teammates to run into a group of high level enemies and die before the game has a chance to dick you over.
If this doesn't work you get to sit and wait while Medigel Mike keeps getting up and fighting on, which lasts for like 20 minutes.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
N7 Slayer's heavy melee has RIDICULOUS range. I've locked onto Phantoms behind cover from like 8m away before and he'll just scoot around them like a mini-Shadow Strike. If you're having trouble making Slayer melee builds work, just pause for a half-second after each charge before you highlander that poo poo.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Typhoon I, Assault Rifle Piercing Mod I and Operative Package I in the same PSP :getin:

Any particular class that I should try with the Typhoon? Here's my Manifest:
http://social.bioware.com/4032893/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=223480191&display=multiplayer

Edit: and now a Harrier I, the RNG gods are smiling upon me today

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 19, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Complaining was worth it, I just got an N7 Slayer and N7 Fury (the latter somehow in a Veteran pack). Even got 2 Raptor upgrades which is possibly my favorite weapon, so it's at least partially leveled up now. I was hoping for an N7 Shadow but I'll definitely take these!

First impressions of the Slayer on bronze are that he's unbelievably powerful with a lot of one-shot attacks and the ability to teleport, gain 100% barrier back every several seconds, and generally just obliterate everything. But when I tried silver it just felt like a lot of charging into an enemy and then suddenly finding 6 pyros and hunters next to it, and they can somehow time melee attacks so they hit you the moment you arrive. Not sure what to do about that.

Only done one game with the Fury on bronze but she seems amazing, just hoping I don't have the same experience as with the Slayer when I move up to silver. When I read the Annihilation Field description I didn't realize it traveled with you, which makes it just outstanding. Running fast and having a teleport AOE melee is pretty great too.

Finally getting a good string of awesome unlocks. For a while I just kept getting the same classes I already have and weird gimmick guns like the Krysae Sniper and Harpoon gun which are fun to use but ridiculously heavy and not efficient at all. I only carried the Krysae because I wanted to gib phantoms.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
I really have to stop getting myself squashed from time to time, as I am now watching a 10 minute round happen as a paladin with an acolyte kills things in the slowest manner humanly possible.

also: I'm looking for more fun people to play with as I attempt to finally get a harrier after months of bad luck. I'm Australian, so people near me/in my timezone are generally preferred.

Origin: Banjodark

edit - I think I might just host every game I play, all it takes is a .5 second delay on shadow strike to from lag to make the game feel unplayable.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 19, 2012

• Locked thread