Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

The Gasmask posted:

I just got a G9x in the mail today! My last mouse was a Ideazon Reaper Edge and the pads wore off, making any kind of smooth movement impossible. I'm liking it a bit so far, I tend to palm the mouse so the "fat" grip works a little better though the precision one feels nicer with it's rough texture. The weights are a little pointless in my case since the mouse is heavy to begin with. I was expecting a light mouse and huge adjustment, but as it stands I can go from "heavy" to "too heavy".

The flat buttons are a bit odd at first too. Most mice have a decent slope so going to the G9x feels a little less ergo. It forces you to use just your fingertips (not really a bad thing).

All that I can get used to, but the one thing I hate is the middle button. It is the stiffest piece of poo poo, it takes an insane amount of force to click it which negates it's use in any sort of fast gaming. The wheel itself is fine, but just doing a dozen middle clicks in a row causes discomfort. I've heard some people say it breaks in eventually, but seriously Logitech... extreme resistance isn't a cornerstone to PC gaming peripherals.

e: I also got a "gamer" mousepad, the Steelseries 4HD. It's a thin plastic material with a slightly rough texture. It's almost too responsive to the mouse, it slides right across it with no trouble and I'm used to my desk or cloth pads. It's also pretty big coming from the standard ones (11.5x8.5 or something?). Of course I found out after I got it that the texture wears away at the G9x's feet and mars up the surface, so I ordered some decent fabric ones.

That's weird, my middle button never did that, then again I've had it for years.

"Slides right across it" How low do you have the res set? Why are you moving your wrist at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

EvilMuppet posted:

"Slides right across it" How low do you have the res set? Why are you moving your wrist at all?

I didn't mean the mouse slides out of conrol across the pad or anything, but if you give it a light push it will slide for a bit. It's a good thing for like 3500 dpi and up, but I'm generally around 1500-2200.

I'm not sure what my wrist has to do with the slickness of the mouse pad though.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I've been using my old intellimouse explorer for games since I was in highschool; over a decade now. Would I get any benefit from getting something newer, or is gaming mice a field that just doesn't improve technologically all that much?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Gasmask posted:

All that I can get used to, but the one thing I hate is the middle button. It is the stiffest piece of poo poo, it takes an insane amount of force to click it which negates it's use in any sort of fast gaming.
Protip :pcgaming: : whatever function you used to bind to your middle button, bind it to "tilt the wheel to the right" instead. It's better than any middle click because your finger doesn't have to physically move from your left button. Leave middle click for commands that aren't used frequently or that don't need speed.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I've been using my old intellimouse explorer for games since I was in highschool; over a decade now. Would I get any benefit from getting something newer, or is gaming mice a field that just doesn't improve technologically all that much?

A lot of pro Quake players still use the old microsoft mice. Laser mice come with some caveats (positive or negative acceleration or even both) and IMO optical is still the way to go. The only thing you may miss out on is software to customize stuff, a lack of DPI options, and more buttons.

If you want to try out a new mouse, I recommend the Logitech G400. The newest revision has zero issues with acceleration or prediction (the first version had prediction) and most people really like the shape (though I've used a MX500 with that same shape for about 8 years and I still can't figure out where my ring finger is supposed to go).

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Protip :pcgaming: : whatever function you used to bind to your middle button, bind it to "tilt the wheel to the right" instead. It's better than any middle click because your finger doesn't have to physically move from your left button. Leave middle click for commands that aren't used frequently or that don't need speed.

Hah poo poo, you just solved my major complaint! Between this and using the left/right scroll for switching tabs (seriously awesome btw) I may stick with this mouse.

I use the 3-finger method (pointer on left, middle on wheel, ring on right) so I don't have any issue with moving too much. I tried using 2 fingers last night but it was immensely uncomfortable and I can't see how y'all can do that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

If you want to try out a new mouse, I recommend the Logitech G400. The newest revision has zero issues with acceleration or prediction (the first version had prediction) and most people really like the shape (though I've used a MX500 with that same shape for about 8 years and I still can't figure out where my ring finger is supposed to go).

Doesn't it just touch grip the right side of the mouse near the ridge at the top of the right side cutout? That way you can use it to stabilize your push leftwards, just like you use the thumb on pushing rightwards.

The Gasmask posted:

Hah poo poo, you just solved my major complaint! Between this and using the left/right scroll for switching tabs (seriously awesome btw) I may stick with this mouse.

I use the 3-finger method (pointer on left, middle on wheel, ring on right) so I don't have any issue with moving too much. I tried using 2 fingers last night but it was immensely uncomfortable and I can't see how y'all can do that.

You probably just have tiny hands. I'm the opposite, and jamming three fingers on top of the mouse just feels super cramped to me, like having flipper hands.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 16, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Gasmask posted:

I always have 3 fingers on the top of the mouse too. But my fingers tend to rest on the outer edges of the left and right mouse buttons. To be honest, I can't see how you get full control of the mouse without 3 on top. Especially when I played WoW, I needed access to all buttons immediately.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I never put much thought into how I held the mouse until 2 days ago when I got the G9x, and I'm starting to see why some people use the claw grip or two fingers. I just assumed everyone naturally palmed and the claw grip was just some thing leet CS players did for the hell of it.

I'm also realizing clawing is pretty uncomfortable for me, and maybe the G9x won't work out after all. My hands are just a hair too big to properly hold it :(. I may grab the palm version of that (on my phone so I can't look up the model easily). It's got the same laser, right? Only difference is the size of weights, shape, and no exchangeable grip?

E: vv that's the one I was thinking of - the specs make it look pretty close to the G9x.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 17, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

I never put much thought into how I held the mouse until 2 days ago when I got the G9x, and I'm starting to see why some people use the claw grip or two fingers. I just assumed everyone naturally palmed and the claw grip was just some thing leet CS players did for the hell of it.

I'm also realizing clawing is pretty uncomfortable for me, and maybe the G9x won't work out after all. My hands are just a hair too big to properly hold it :(. I may grab the palm version of that (on my phone so I can't look up the model easily). It's got the same laser, right? Only difference is the size of weights, shape, and no exchangeable grip?
The closest thing to a palm-grip G9x is the G500.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Isn't one of the bodies supposed to promote palm grip usage?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Doesn't it just touch grip the right side of the mouse near the ridge at the top of the right side cutout? That way you can use it to stabilize your push leftwards, just like you use the thumb on pushing rightwards.

My ring finger tends to drop down perpendicular to the ridge, so it feels a bit weird. Apparently some people even saw off their ridges. My next mouse is definitely going to have a more rounded design (likely the Zowie EC1 eVo).

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Dogen posted:

Isn't one of the bodies supposed to promote palm grip usage?

I would say the wide body is supposed to, but it's still too flat on top so it doesn't provide any support for the upper part of my palm. Using the mouse my current grip is with the base of my palm to the part opposite the knuckles touching, then no contact until the last joint of my three fingers. I have to do a semi-claw to reach the middle button as it's too stiff to comfortably press with anything but the fingertip. If I want to use the thumb buttons I have to go even further to claw and shift everything but the base of my palm off since in a natural resting position my thumb doesn't reach M5.

On that note, does anyone know of any mice besides the Ideazon Reaper Edge which have the thumb buttons on top and bottom (one above the thumb and one below)? I found that to be so easy, I could just shift my thumb slightly to reach either and it felt much more natural to use.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Microsoft's Sidewinder mice have that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

NihilCredo posted:

Microsoft's Sidewinder mice have that.

And having used the sidewinder x8 I can say it was an excellent mouse.

Unfortunately Microsoft has stopped making them, so you might have trouble finding a new one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have been dealing with poo poo mice for too long. I want a new mouse, one that will last.

I want a mouse wheel that won't wear out. I've had several mice get to where turning the mouse wheel won't click the switch the right number of times or with the right frequency, and it either won't scroll or will scroll the opposite direction. Are there mice with optical wheels?

I don't want a profusion of buttons I'm never going to use. Left, right, middle, and mouse wheel.

I want it to be easy to open for cleaning, and difficult to break anything while doing so. This should mean that the cable routing (if there is a cable...wireless would be acceptable) inside the case is more or less straight from the board out the hole in the front.

Size and shape aren't too important to me, but I would prefer something simple, like an old Microsoft mouse or something, and I would prefer to avoid anything that looks like it was designed by HR Giger.

What's the right mouse for me?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VideoTapir posted:

I have been dealing with poo poo mice for too long. I want a new mouse, one that will last.

I want a mouse wheel that won't wear out. I've had several mice get to where turning the mouse wheel won't click the switch the right number of times or with the right frequency, and it either won't scroll or will scroll the opposite direction. Are there mice with optical wheels?

I don't want a profusion of buttons I'm never going to use. Left, right, middle, and mouse wheel.

I want it to be easy to open for cleaning, and difficult to break anything while doing so. This should mean that the cable routing (if there is a cable...wireless would be acceptable) inside the case is more or less straight from the board out the hole in the front.

Size and shape aren't too important to me, but I would prefer something simple, like an old Microsoft mouse or something, and I would prefer to avoid anything that looks like it was designed by HR Giger.

What's the right mouse for me?

Why would you ever open an optical mouse for cleaning? I have used my MX510 for like 8-9 years continuously and I've never had to clean it more than maybe a simple wipedown on the sides even though I use the mouse wheel constantly. Opening it up seems like a good way to damage the wheel mechanism, honestly.

Just get whatever Logitech or Microsoft Mouse looks to be the right size, I say. I know Logitech has their clickless freewheel mouse wheel feature on a lot of their stuff now, so maybe you can find one in a store and fiddle with it. Personally I'm not a huge fan and prefer their normal wheel. Otherwise, I know the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse mentioned earlier has a touch-based mouse wheel, but honestly that sounds to me like exactly the opposite of what you'd want, since touch tends to be a little fiddly.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 18, 2012

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've always been a sucker for overpriced "gaming" mice for some reason, I guess I just got used to them, but I really like the Razer Deathadder. At around $50 it's not too ridiculous as far as gaming mice go. It's on the light side and doesn't feel all that solid but has proven to be fairly sturdy. It's also simple, which is one of the things I liked most about it, you have only left, right, scroll wheel/middle button and two buttons on the left side that I actually use a lot. The middle button/scroll wheel is one of the better ones I've used too, it's smooth and easy to click without accidentally scrolling.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Actually the Deathadder is similarly priced to the better Microsoft & Logitech mice, I read somewhere that Microsoft scroll buttons don't click anymore so I went with the Razer and it's very similar to the Laser 6000 it is replacing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

The Logitech mice with the fancy metal hyper-scroll wheel or whatever they're marketing it as these days are pretty good in that respect. The wheel is designed to be spun like a little flywheel, so it has good bearings that last a long time in everyday use. I've had three mice with that style of wheel; I just leave them in regular click-by-click mode and none have had any problems. I don't know if the wheels are optical or not. The feel may take some getting used to if you're used to the little rubbery squishy things on cheaper mice, but I like the way those wheels feel now and won't buy anything else. I think the mice that currently include that are the M500, M515, Performance MX, Anywhere MX and the G9x. Not sure about the G500.

You're unlikely to find a good quality mouse these days that doesn't at least have left, right, middle/wheel and two thumb buttons, but there are plenty of good options that aren't this thing.

If you are having to open up your optical mouse for cleaning on a regular basis, I recommend washing your hands, wiping off your desk and otherwise not being a disgusting goon. My current mouse acts up because of dirt maybe once every other month when an eyelash hair or carpet fiber gets stuck in the lens, something that is instantly remediable by flipping it over and blowing on it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 19, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I think the mice that currently include that are the M500, M515, Performance MX, Anywhere MX and the G9x. Not sure about the G500.

I just got the G500 (G9x is relegated to backup duty; also it seems to be on sale at Best Buy for $49) and it has the same wheel with free scrolling as the G9x.

I want to love it, the wheel feels great and free-scrolling can be extremely helpful, but it's way too sensitive. Just moving the mouse left or right is enough to make the wheel turn and send me half a page down. This is with scrolling set to one line. I can't find any way around it so I'm stuck using regular mode :(.

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
Does anyone have experience with the HandShoe Mouse? I've been using an Intellimouse 3.0 for like 10+ years and I am apparently getting old... I've had a lot of pain in my wrist and pinky lately. Reviews online seem to be pretty mixed. I'm in the market for pretty much any solid ergo mouse, if someone's had a good experience.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Gasmask posted:

I just got the G500 (G9x is relegated to backup duty; also it seems to be on sale at Best Buy for $49) and it has the same wheel with free scrolling as the G9x.

I want to love it, the wheel feels great and free-scrolling can be extremely helpful, but it's way too sensitive. Just moving the mouse left or right is enough to make the wheel turn and send me half a page down. This is with scrolling set to one line. I can't find any way around it so I'm stuck using regular mode :(.

Just leave it in the regular mode and switch to free-scrolling when you need to scroll a lot in a long document.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The Gasmask posted:

In which programs does this happen? This Logitech plugin may help with that.

Also, I don't think it has any effect with SetPoint installed, but just in case go to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Wheel and make sure that option is set to one line too.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

In which programs does this happen? This Logitech plugin may help with that.

Also, I don't think it has any effect with SetPoint installed, but just in case go to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Wheel and make sure that option is set to one line too.

It happens constantly - both the G9x and the G500 do it, so I think it's a side effect of the design. My desk is on a very slight incline, not enough to make a pencil roll but enough that the wheel spins with regular movement. I'm thankful there's a switch on the mice 'cos it would be a dealbreaker otherwise.

I'll grab that plugin, at the very least I'll get some more options for the wheel!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I think I'm the only one who liked the MX revolution's scroll wheel clutch. It would change from click-mode to free-spinning automatically based on a wheel speed threshold you set in software.

The mechanical lock on the G9/x isn't useful because you have to lift the mouse and push a button under it to cycle it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't think the MX Revolution's system was disliked, it was probably just more expensive to produce than a mechanical button. Same for the thumbwheel, I suspect.

Sotore
Aug 14, 2012

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible."
Well OP if you're looking for a high end gaming mouse, may I suggest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153095&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Efficiency and affordability ($80 as opposed to $100) all in one package.

E: Forgot to mention that this is my current mouse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dominoes posted:

I think I'm the only one who liked the MX revolution's scroll wheel clutch. It would change from click-mode to free-spinning automatically based on a wheel speed threshold you set in software.

The mechanical lock on the G9/x isn't useful because you have to lift the mouse and push a button under it to cycle it.

I had an MX Revolution and I like the little electromechanical clutch too, but that was a $130 mouse when it was brand new. You aren't going to get that kind of feature in the more reasonably-priced products.

Realistically, though, I find I hardly ever use the freewheel mode -- there just aren't that many situations where I need it. If I want to go to the bottom of a web page quickly I press End. Sometimes I turn on freewheel mode when I'm bored just to spin it up like a little flywheel for fun. No, I like having that feature because it means the wheel is a solid metal casting, with strong bearings, that feels much more substantial than the plastic wheels on other mice.

e: I really liked that little thumbwheel (wasn't really a wheel, more of a 3-way joystick), too, because it was excellent for navigating 3D models. Push forwards for zoom, click in for tumble, pull back for pan. It's too bad they never used that feature again.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Freewheel users should revert back to Setpoint 4.80. Logitech took out the Wheel Speed and Acceleration sliders in 6.x for the stupid old 1,3,5 line setting. After adjusting the sliders to my preference it makes the freewheel useful for reading the forums and anything else that doesn't need a single click (weapon select in a game is one of the only times I switch to single click).

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 20, 2012

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I game occasionally and have a razer deathadder 3.5G. Should I be installing the software/drivers it came with or not?

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

I game occasionally and have a razer deathadder 3.5G. Should I be installing the software/drivers it came with or not?

Do you want full functionality of all the buttons ETC or not?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I like the fact that I can turn the stupid lights off, but I was under the impression that it was kind of crapware. I'm not going to remap the buttons, because I can do that in games I play, but I did notice that I can adjust the DPI, so I guess that's nice.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

I like the fact that I can turn the stupid lights off, but I was under the impression that it was kind of crapware. I'm not going to remap the buttons, because I can do that in games I play, but I did notice that I can adjust the DPI, so I guess that's nice.

The software that lets you properly control your mouse functionality does not count as 'crapware'.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
FYI, Newegg's got $10 off the g700s for a bit. Broke down and bought one for myself.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

BusinessWallet posted:

Razer built (what appears to be) new firmware for a large percentage of their devices, including the 3.5g, a few months back. It's much cleaner/user friendly, and doesn't look like something that belongs on a teenagers 1998 civic.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cream_Filling posted:

Why would you ever open an optical mouse for cleaning? I have used my MX510 for like 8-9 years continuously and I've never had to clean it more than maybe a simple wipedown on the sides even though I use the mouse wheel constantly. Opening it up seems like a good way to damage the wheel mechanism, honestly.

I've lived in really dusty environments, usually with my computer next to an open window more or less all year, and had the wheel get gunked up. (As do all the heat sinks and fans, which also require frequent cleaning.) Also, the mechanical switch for cheap mouse wheels itself will wear out (dust probably isn't helping there either). The wheel has been the point of failure for every mouse I've replaced ever. And it's my girlfriend's brother that's the disgusting goon (who keeps stealing my mice).

I figure if there's a mouse wheel that works similarly to the axes for old ball mice, with a disc full of holes and an optical sensor, without any mechanical contact involved in sensing the motion, it should more or less last forever. I'm going to guess that's how at least some clickless mouse wheels people are describing work, as I suspect it would be the cheapest way to do it.

If there's anything else that just will not break, I'm open to that, too.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 22, 2012

bittey
Jul 22, 2012

Money & Charm
I've had a Razer Imperator for 2 years now, and one of the side buttons started acting weird about 1-2 months ago, had to click harder for it to work. Now it won't do anything, and I have to say, I'm quite disappointed, since I had a 20$ (5-button + DSP switch) A4Tech mouse before this and it worked just fine for around 6 years.
Now I'm looking for a similar mouse.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

VideoTapir posted:

If there's anything else that just will not break, I'm open to that, too.

If you buy a Logitech mouse and it breaks in the first three years of ownership they'll send you a shipping label to send back the old one and a brand new replacement. Just got a new Performance Mouse MX after two years of use when the old one developed odd double clicking behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For all the Logitech users, do you have SetPoint installed? I'm a little nervous installing it for my G700 since it gave my old G9x alot of issues such as freezing my mouse for short burts (a few seconds). I want to play around with the DPI settings than what's already set on the deafult profiles. Just want to hear from your guys' experience.