Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Anyway, a lovely cameraphone shot of my digs:

Desk is 8'x4' and cost me ~£100: it's a Galant frame with a sheet of ply on top. Would've built the entire thing myself, but couldn't work out easy ways to make it adjustable or to get a full 8' span without drat great beams. If you've a jigsaw and a free afternoon, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting piles of space. Lamps are Holmos with 40W (~200W incandescent) daylight spectrum CFLs from these guys.

Still to do: cable management, replace the "privacy sheet" with a 3' bookshelf, add a couple more layers of varnish to the ply, and find a way to attach a CPU holder to all this.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I've never understood why more people don't just use a blank black background.

Love that setup. Add in some cable management below and maybe a couple cable grommets in the back and that's exactly what I'd want in a desk. Too bad it's an ~8-hour drive one way to any of the "nearest" Ikea stores. I'll have to see if I can source everything for a similar setup locally or maybe just plan a long weekend trip to Chicago/Dallas/Minneapolis to make an Ikea run.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

coffeetable posted:

Anyway, a lovely cameraphone shot of my digs:

Desk is 8'x4' and cost me ~£100: it's a Galant frame with a sheet of ply on top. Would've built the entire thing myself, but couldn't work out easy ways to make it adjustable or to get a full 8' span without drat great beams. If you've a jigsaw and a free afternoon, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting piles of space. Lamps are Holmos with 40W (~200W incandescent) daylight spectrum CFLs from these guys.

Still to do: cable management, replace the "privacy sheet" with a 3' bookshelf, add a couple more layers of varnish to the ply, and find a way to attach a CPU holder to all this.

Why would you want to attach your CPU to your desk? Wouldn't it work better inside your computer?

VVV I know very well what he means, I'm being a smart arse.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

EvilMuppet posted:

Why would you want to attach your CPU to your desk? Wouldn't it work better inside your computer?

I think he means something like this.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
Yay for cleaning up and no longer living like poo poo!

Oh, and making the change from 6 year old entry level dell to a mac mini. RIP Dell you were one hell of a workhorse.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Echoes posted:

Oh, and making the change from 6 year old entry level dell to a mac mini. RIP Dell you were one hell of a workhorse.

How can you live without a number pad! Mac mini is a great budget machine, always surprised by how much they can handle.

Here is a crummy image of my uninspired home workspace.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

raggedphoto posted:

How can you live without a number pad! Mac mini is a great budget machine, always surprised by how much they can handle.

I really like your coffee mug.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
New spread featuring a 27" korean monitor friend:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Really cool phone.

I have an old Western Electric 20AL that I really can't be arsed buying a subset for so I'm turning it into a Bluetooth headset.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

Really cool phone.

I have an old Western Electric 20AL that I really can't be arsed buying a subset for so I'm turning it into a Bluetooth headset.

It's a shame that someone painted over it.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

The TV really needs moving down about 10" to make it comfortable to watch but :effort:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love the Ikea desks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Annexed posted:

I love the Ikea desks.

How do your eyes not bleed that close to that size of screen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moey posted:

How do your eyes not bleed that close to that size of screen?

It is actually not as bad as you'd think. I've been using large (37+) 1080p monitors for almost 7 years now and I mostly game on them but even if I need to do other text stuff since I sit far enough back from the thing it still looks great.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

raggedphoto posted:

Yeah the number pad thing was a worry but to be quite honest I haven't really noticed the absence. I'm really pleased with my Mac Mini, even with only 2GB of ram this little guy is handling most things I throw at it. Unfortunate even going from a PC to a mac iTunes is still a piece of poo poo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Echoes posted:

Yeah the number pad thing was a worry but to be quite honest I haven't really noticed the absence. I'm really pleased with my Mac Mini, even with only 2GB of ram this little guy is handling most things I throw at it. Unfortunate even going from a PC to a mac iTunes is still a piece of poo poo.

I agree. I use to feel the same way about the 10-key but haven't missed it since I switched to an Apple Bluetooth keyboard last year.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The TV really needs moving down about 10" to make it comfortable to watch but :effort:

What monitors you got there? Lookin' good.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Tedronai66 posted:

I think he means something like this.

I still want to know why anyone likes those things, especially on hardwood. All they've ever done for me is get in the way, break, or just generally be pieces of poo poo. Then again I scoff whenever people say they need drawers and poo poo too, (new thread title please) so my opinion is colored. Plain, flat desk crew represent.

edit: VVV That actually makes sense.

glompix fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 10, 2012

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

glompix posted:

I still want to know why anyone likes those things, especially on hardwood. All they've ever done for me is get in the way, break, or just generally be pieces of poo poo. Then again I scoff whenever people say they need drawers and poo poo too, (new thread title please) so my opinion is colored. Plain, flat desk crew represent.

It was nice when I had a desk that was on rollers that I would scoot around, since it keeps everything attached to the desk itself. Otherwise? not much of a point

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

glompix posted:

I wish I had one for mine, my carpet is long and my PSU vents to the bottom of the case so I had to put a piece of wood under my case to keep it from suffocating.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

dox posted:

What monitors you got there? Lookin' good.
Dell U2311Hes (Hs? H's?), recommended in the monitor megathread which seems to have vanished from the sticky now :iiam:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Ron Burgundy posted:

Really cool phone.

It's the coolest feature of my apartment, doesn't make up for the 110 year old walls with a very noisy upstairs neighbor. It still works and serves as my door buzzard.

Action Jackson! posted:

It's a shame that someone painted over it.

I am pretty sure they just mask the floor and spray gallons of paint onto everything so yeah there is inches of paint on every surface.

Echoes posted:

i anything as far as software sucks rear end. We use mini as our servers with Pegasuses raid boxes at work and it works amazingly well. 2 gigs of ram would never work though, my mac pro at work has 22 gigs and still is not enough sometimes.

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 11, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ana5000 posted:

We moved, and I got a bigger desk, yay! It's all from ikea because :finland:

What a cozy looking corner. :) That chair looks damned comfortable too.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Falken posted:

What a cozy looking corner. :) That chair looks damned comfortable too.

It's comfy, but doesn't breathe at all which makes for a great ergonomic feature since standing up and giving your buttcrack some air becomes a regular event.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bacon! posted:

New spread featuring a 27" korean monitor friend:

Somebody (probably me) has likely asked this before, but what speakers are those? They look fantastic.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

They are era d4's - I believe they don't make these anymore, but I really like them. Not pictured is an amp that I hand built (LM3875) that is providing them power

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Just set up my new desk from Ikea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033

albear posted:

Just set up my new desk from Ikea.

Nice and simple.

For optimal listening you prob want those speakers up closer to ear level, unless you plan on sitting on the floor.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bacon! posted:

They are era d4's - I believe they don't make these anymore, but I really like them. Not pictured is an amp that I hand built (LM3875) that is providing them power

I own some D4's for my desk I got on sale, great speakers. I have been looking for a small amp to drive the darn things and cant seem to find one. How big is the amp and how well does it work. At this point I would almost consider building one.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Juriko posted:

I own some D4's for my desk I got on sale, great speakers. I have been looking for a small amp to drive the darn things and cant seem to find one. How big is the amp and how well does it work. At this point I would almost consider building one.

Its about the width of a shoebox, 3 inches tall and 6 inches deep. It works incredibly well - but its quite an ordeal for the total idiot electronics man like myself. The amp is about $80, but all said and done it probably ended up costing me about $300.

It was a lot of fun to build though, and the sound is excellent. If I was handier with electronics id pursue more projects like it.

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007

Ana5000 posted:

We moved, and I got a bigger desk, yay! It's all from ikea because :finland:

Late to the party but those are the comfiest desk chairs in the world.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Audio Bitch posted:

May I ask what kind of chair (make/model/where to demo) is that?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Mitsune posted:

May I ask what kind of chair (make/model/where to demo) is that?

That's a "Skruvsta" from Ikea, they sell them for 119 euros here in Finland.

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007

Ana5000 posted:

That's a "Skruvsta" from Ikea, they sell them for 119 euros here in Finland.

We have one with a funky retro design that matches nothing else in our house. I say we, it's MY GIRLFRIEND's but I stole it the moment she graduated. That poo poo is mine now.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Audio Bitch posted:

You and I must have very different body builds because we have a few of these around my current office and they are literally the worst chairs I have sat in. They make my rear end go numb and offer no back support so you might as well be sitting on a stool. Granted I'm 6' 215lb but still, I would highly recommend whomever is trying to buy one to try it first.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm 5'6" at 145lbs and I also hate those chairs even if they do look cool.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My desk space

http://i.imgur.com/jE7PKt.jpg

Excuse the tiny rear end cel phone pic :(

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 17, 2012

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

More ikea desk action (with glass top)

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
My desk nook thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:smith: My desk is always so messy....

And yes, every computer in this photo is on and in use right now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 19, 2012