Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wrist Watch posted:

I haven't played a DMC (though I do have Bayonetta despite being godawful aw it), what exactly is turbo mode? Just making everything faster?

Also, I remember there being a Bayonetta thread here but I don't see it, is it still alive and does anyone have a link to it? I want to read through to figure out how to stop sucking so much at it. Normal mode kicks my rear end and I'm using items all over the place, but easy mode feels too easy for me.

It makes a fast game so much faster.
Everything goes at ~1.5x speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That sounds like so much fun but I don't think I could ever do it, at least right now.

Dammit thread, you guys already got me to buy Bayonetta after hearing people praise it so much. I'm broke, I can't afford to buy two more games!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, I remember there being a Bayonetta thread here but I don't see it, is it still alive and does anyone have a link to it? I want to read through to figure out how to stop sucking so much at it. Normal mode kicks my rear end and I'm using items all over the place, but easy mode feels too easy for me.

It's been dead a while, but here it is: Bayonetta thread.

The LP thread is still going, and the LP of the main game is done, but it's useful to pick up tips and things.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
That really needs finished. :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It makes a fast game so much faster.
Everything goes at ~1.5x speed.

In Dmc4 it raises the speed to 120%. Makes the game feel much faster than it sounds.

Reive
May 21, 2009

notZaar posted:

In Dmc4 it raises the speed to 120%. Makes the game feel much faster than it sounds.

Is that PC only like LDK mode, or can I pop in my 360 version and go to town?
Because speed is the biggest factor in why I prefer 3>4 (other than cutscenes and weapons).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Reive posted:

Is that PC only like LDK mode, or can I pop in my 360 version and go to town?
Because speed is the biggest factor in why I prefer 3>4 (other than cutscenes and weapons).

It's PC-only. LDK turbo mode is the best thing ever.

EDIT: Overall I agree, I think 3 is better, but goddamn is it hard going from DMC4 Dante back to DMC3 Dante.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's PC-only. LDK turbo mode is the best thing ever.

EDIT: Overall I agree, I think 3 is better, but goddamn is it hard going from DMC4 Dante back to DMC3 Dante.

Ability wise?
Having all the styles at your fingertips is awesome, but I can't say I prefer it to just straight up fast paced combat, DMC4 is so much slower, still stylish as hell though. That's why I wish I had turbo mode :smith:

If you mean personality, DMC4 has the better lines for sure, not too keen on the chaps/cowboy appearance though, DMC3 Dante might be rather plain visually, but I love the idea of him being in a such hurry to kill demons that he doesn't even put on a shirt.

Though in pure aesthetics DMC2 Dante will always be my fav, no personality but my God those clothes own.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I wonder sometimes if this is how MGS fans feel after seeing Revengeance...

Ultra late but the cool thing about this is that reading any comments section of a posted trailer or video for Revengeance really makes it evident that this thread can't even begin to approach the sheer blubbering madness that MGS fans approach in regards to the upcoming game.

I swear those motherfuckers could use the sheer kinetic force of their tears to type posts about that game, it is amazing. Basically, I hope Snake's ghost appears to Raiden Obi-Wan style at various points of the game, but voiced like the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones. Anything that would make those people mad. You know, the guys that take a game with a history of a dude crapping his pants far too seriously.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Ultra late but the cool thing about this is that reading any comments section of a posted trailer or video for Revengeance really makes it evident that this thread can't even begin to approach the sheer blubbering madness that MGS fans approach in regards to the upcoming game.

I swear those motherfuckers could use the sheer kinetic force of their tears to type posts about that game, it is amazing. Basically, I hope Snake's ghost appears to Raiden Obi-Wan style at various points of the game, but voiced like the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones. Anything that would make those people mad. You know, the guys that take a game with a history of a dude crapping his pants far too seriously.

This made me laugh way harder than I thought it would.

Its true though, in a series full of just dumb over the top poo poo, people pissing themselves, a guy that shits his pants, snake pointing at his bandana and going infinite ammo followed by preaching, weird codec calls, ghosts, bosses posing for snake for sexy pictures.

And a hack and slash spin-off starting Raiden, that's to far, that's to much.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Alteisen posted:

This made me laugh way harder than I thought it would.

Its true though, in a series full of just dumb over the top poo poo, people pissing themselves, a guy that shits his pants, snake pointing at his bandana and going infinite ammo followed by preaching, weird codec calls, ghosts, bosses posing for snake for sexy pictures.

And a hack and slash spin-off starting Raiden, that's to far, that's to much.

The best thing to do when reading those posts, is just turn to the side, pause for a second, then remember that Platinum is doing the game, and realize how much of a treat it'll be to play. Then remember that Raiden is going to play exactly like people wanted him to play when they wished he was playable in MGS4. Then, their comments will be even more petty and sad.

More on topic? gently caress DmC's cover, gently caress it to hell and back. Can it GET any more generic? Oh. Wait. It could. I should stop tempting fate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I wonder sometimes if this is how MGS fans feel after seeing Revengeance...

Outside of Something Awful, everyone is anticipating DmC and whining about MGR Revengeance. We are not those people.

Reive
May 21, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Outside of Something Awful, everyone is anticipating DmC and whining about MGR Revengeance. We are not those people.

Honestly I think both groups take their respective series too seriously, all I want is fun character-action games and both look like they're delivering.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Magil of Shadow posted:

The best thing to do when reading those posts, is just turn to the side, pause for a second, then remember that Platinum is doing the game, and realize how much of a treat it'll be to play. Then remember that Raiden is going to play exactly like people wanted him to play when they wished he was playable in MGS4. Then, their comments will be even more petty and sad.

More on topic? gently caress DmC's cover, gently caress it to hell and back. Can it GET any more generic? Oh. Wait. It could. I should stop tempting fate.

It's just that there is so great of a disconnect from Platinum's Revengeance and Kojima's Rising.

The first offered quasi-realistic cyborg ninja cut-everything action. Basically the Ninja VR missions done much, much better. (Remember Snake's MGS3 nightmare?)
The latter offers Beat and Hack em up style gameplay like DMC, Bayonetta, etc.

Of course this change was too much for some people.

Not saying that's a bad thing but I still would love to play Rising over Revengeance. The movement and animation in the Rising trailer was damned great, it just felt so smooth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reive posted:

Honestly I think both groups take their respective series too seriously, all I want is fun character-action games and both look like they're delivering.

What do they look like they're delivering in DmC? Absolutely nothing they've shown has indicated anything but the most shallow of gameplay. This isn't even a case where they're showing videos of fake-deep gameplay and it turns out to bad in a hands-on. They haven't shown anything meaningful in any video so far.

It could be a fun enough action game, but those are a dime-a-dozen these days. Something with depth and a good skill ceiling? That's rare. If you want to make a Devil May Cry game, that's going to be expected. Ninja Gaiden already made that mistake with Ninja Gaiden 3.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Reive posted:

If I had to say anything positive about DmC, it'd be that it's looking to be playable, at least, compared to NT previous games, and that's a massive step up for them. Fun? Well, we'll wait and see.

And I do wish they'd choose what sort of personality they want from Dante, and stick with it. The older games, if nothing else, were consistent on how he acts in the individual games (though not the overall series). Why do I keep harping on about the story, and character portrayal in a DMC? Well, that's one of their big focuses for this game.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 19, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

What do they look like they're delivering in DmC? Absolutely nothing they've shown has indicated anything but the most shallow of gameplay. This isn't even a case where they're showing videos of fake-deep gameplay and it turns out to bad in a hands-on. They haven't shown anything meaningful in any video so far.

It could be a fun enough action game, but those are a dime-a-dozen these days. Something with depth and a good skill ceiling? That's rare. If you want to make a Devil May Cry game, that's going to be expected. Ninja Gaiden already made that mistake with Ninja Gaiden 3.

Perhaps I just derive more insight into things from what I'm given, but from we've seen so far all I can possibly think is 'this looks great', but you have to take into account that I think DMC2 is a cool game with a mismanaged combat system, so my opinion might not matter! :v:

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I had to say anything positive about DmC, it'd be that it's looking to be playable, at least, compared to NT previous games, and that's a massive step up for them. Fun? Well, we'll wait and see.

And I do wish they'd choose what sort of personality they want from Dante, and stick with it. The older games, if nothing else, were consistent on how he acts in the individual games (though not the overall series). Why do I keep harping on about the story, and character portrayal in a DMC? Well, that's one of their big focuses for this game.

I'm not really seeing the inconsistency you speak of...

Either way I don't want to argue about any of this, I really don't understand any of the points people are trying to make in this backlash thing, I've had it explained like a million times and I just don't care anymore, I like it drat it. :colbert:

No hard feelings though, my apathy to the whiny shouty nerd sub-section prevents me from caring about other more refined opinions as well, I do respect yours however as you seem to not attack people who like it, unlike some people I know...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Reive posted:

I'm not really seeing the inconsistency you speak of...

The whole "he's a rebel with a devil-may-care attitude but he's also grim and serious, but he's all sad because of his superabusive past, but he's just like Classic Dante, and fun and carefree, but he's also etc,etc"

It was a big problem of Enslaved, where the characters would flip flop between different personalities - the worst being Tripitaka and her flipping between self-assured and rear end kicking, and vulnerable and needy. Sometimes all in the same cutscene.

Reive posted:

No hard feelings though, my apathy to the whiny shouty nerd sub-section prevents me from caring about other more refined opinions as well, I do respect yours however as you seem to not attack people who like it, unlike some people I know...

Thanks, yeah, well it'd be silly to attack people who like things that others don't like. As the old saying goes, I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. :)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 19, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Reive posted:

Is that PC only like LDK mode

For those that don't know, LDK mode dramatically increases the number of enemies that will spawn in. Dramatically. As in Dynasty Warriors enemy count.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schubalts posted:

For those that don't know, LDK mode dramatically increases the number of enemies that will spawn in. Dramatically. As in Dynasty Warriors enemy count.

:allears:

:black101::fh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"I hope you guys have a fuckload of pizza ordered because TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL"

DMC/Bayonetta's innovative approach to higher difficulty settings was always one of their best points, to me.

Reive
May 21, 2009

One of these days I'll have a PC that can handle that. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The PC version is really well optimised, since games made on Capcom's MT Framework engine are essentially developed as PC games, then ported to consoles/arcades.

I'm not sure what the minimum requirements for Legendary Dark Knight mode are, but if you buy a PC with components from the SH/SC then you're guaranteed to run it with every setting set to max.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If LDK mode on DMC4 PC is basically Dyansty Warriors with DMC4 combat, then I am upgrading my PC the first chance I get because that looks amazing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wrist Watch posted:

Dammit thread, you guys already got me to buy Bayonetta after hearing people praise it so much. I'm broke, I can't afford to buy two more games!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
DMC4 is $20 on Steam right now.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If LDK mode on DMC4 PC is basically Dyansty Warriors with DMC4 combat, then I am upgrading my PC the first chance I get because that looks amazing.

It is just Dynasty Warriors-esque hordes of enemies everywhere you go, but without the Dynasty Warriors draw enemy distance.

Look at it in motion with AccountingNightmare. Look at it.
http://polsy.org.uk/play/blip/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblip.tv%2Faccountingnightmare%2Flet-s-play-devil-may-cry-4-ldk-missions-1-6-5749598

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's just that there is so great of a disconnect from Platinum's Revengeance and Kojima's Rising.

The first offered quasi-realistic cyborg ninja cut-everything action. Basically the Ninja VR missions done much, much better. (Remember Snake's MGS3 nightmare?)
The latter offers Beat and Hack em up style gameplay like DMC, Bayonetta, etc.

Of course this change was too much for some people.

Not saying that's a bad thing but I still would love to play Rising over Revengeance. The movement and animation in the Rising trailer was damned great, it just felt so smooth.

The first was also nothing more than a very basic tech demo as said by Kojima numerous times, hell the project almost died but platinum approached them to get it off the ground.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/20/dmc-devil-may-cry-footage-shows-dantes-gauntlet-weapon-and-a-brand-new-level/

Some stream footage and stuff we've never seen.

"Ninja Theory's going for sort of a bit more of an adult sensibility with a couple extra layers of subtlety..."

Actual quote. There's some more gems in there.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I almost lost balance from laughing so hard at that quote. Oh my god I love these little dumbasses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

"Ninja Theory's going for sort of a bit more of an adult sensibility with a couple extra layers of subtlety..."

Hm. Yes, I see.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

In less depressing news, I finally managed, after a lot of cheesing, due to my somewhat poor combo skills, to finally unlock the Super Costumes in DMC4.

Gotta say, the PC version's added features sound awesome, and I hate that we don't have the same for the console Supers.

Still. Super Dante made the Bloody Palace a BREEZE

Magil of Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 21, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
You really do need to see LDK mode in motion to fully understand how awesome it is.

You can walk into a room, use Nero's forward+attack, and basically earn an instant SSS because of the sheer number of enemies you hit. It's loving wonderful.

Actually, looking at it, I think a lot of the problems with the upcoming reboot can be seen just by playing LDK mode on DMC4. Think about it: of all the enemies we've seen so far, do any of those enemies look fun to fight in such huge bulks like they were in DMC4?

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 21, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BlackFrost posted:

You really do need to see LDK mode in motion to fully understand how awesome it is.

You can walk into a room, use Nero's forward+attack, and basically earn an instant SSS because of the sheer number of enemies you hit. It's loving wonderful.

Actually, looking at it, I think a lot of the problems with the upcoming reboot can be seen just by playing LDK mode on DMC4. Think about it: of all the enemies we've seen so far, do any of those enemies look fun to fight in such huge bulks like they were in DMC4?

No, but DmC seems more focused around single-target fights. That in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just the way it's being handled.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I like that for the RE5 pc port capcom did the same thing, "just up the enemy number count by a lots, give it a name and call it a day" and guess what, it worked; best mode in the game

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

It's wonderful they can say that without any sense of irony. Hell, even Kotaku picked up on the lack of subtlety.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I guess it's add pointless social commentary and instant subtlety and depth according to these guys.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Minor info - the PC version is in development and in a "playable state".

quote:

The PC version is in development and playable (I've seen an earlbuild a couple weeks ago). As far as preorders go on PC, we haven't yet planned that out. We tend to do discounts for preordering digital on PC as its more turnkey.

source:http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap..._be_preordeable some dude who works for Capcom.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DmC will not have co-op.

quote:

“I’m not even going to tease you,” Jones smiles as he addresses [if DmC will have multiplayer]. “We’re not doing co-op for reasons that are purely narrative; like we wanted to tell the story of Dante and to have to account for another person on that journey would have an impact on the narrative.

“DmC is the sort of game where you want to hoard all the enemies to yourself in order to get your ranking up, so if you’re having to fight with the person that you’re theoretically co-operating with it would just create a skewed set of priorities. At some point in the future, if we can figure out a way to solve that then maybe; but for this one you’re going it alone as Dante.”

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/22/dmc-is-looking-totally-sweet

Not that we really were expecting it to have co-op anyway. :confused:

And good god, the author of that article is doing his hardest to suck dick.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I think the dumbest thing about DmC now are people (both big name "reviewing" companies and random internet people) think that people are still backlashing against DmC because of Dante's look. Personally, while I had an initial displeasure against that, the biggest strike against the game to me is Ninja Theory.

I just thought of that because I started reading IGN's comments on that last article... which was obviously a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

DmC will not have co-op.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/22/dmc-is-looking-totally-sweet

Not that we really were expecting it to have co-op anyway. :confused:

And good god, the author of that article is doing his hardest to suck dick.

Hahaha that chocolate analogy in the beginning, what the hell. Sucking dick is an understatement.

• Locked thread