Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Isn't there a character in the Yakuza games who looks a lot like Tanii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I dunno about Tanii, but they have Inoue.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Oh yes, please! I need something like that in my life, with the whole gang. Inoko, always between the gutter and the brothel. Tanii, the sheriff with the Yakuza in his back pocket. Kibe, a retired lawman and father of 6 with a target on his back. And Toujima, the one man who can help Abe. This summer, in the ultimate Cameraman Story, Scoldboy: Visitor CX.

At the very least, Kan could voice the hell out of that promo.

I'm sorry, the title has to be Takashi no Arino no Chousenjou (Takashi's Arino's Challenge).

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sorry, the title has to be Takashi no Arino no Chousenjou (Takashi's Arino's Challenge).

I assume the Region 1 version will be called Video Cam Master. On the plus side, Abe's dub will be hilarious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sorry, this isn't an episode. It's a Game Center CX Bonus Video.

You've seen the pictures but now you can see it for yourself. We've got, and translated, special footage of Arino's wedding (at least the parts they showed on television).

This is a really short video, only about three minutes long. It also came from a flash video source so the picture quality isn't as solid as it could be. Still, consider this another DVD extra for your GCCX collections.

Bringing this extra bonus to you is zari-gani, and I mean that in every way. She's the one who tracked it down, arranged the video, and of course made the translation.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 33.54 MB)
View torrent stats

(Sorry on the odd file name, alluvion apparently doesn't care for apostrophes in file names.)

Direct Download

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Before I started watching GCCX, I genuinely thought that with enough practice and perseverance anyone could become good at anything. Even if one had no natural talent whatsoever, I figured most people could "brute force" a talent.

Arino has shown me how terribly wrong I was. I legitimately have no idea how he can continue to play the same game (and also video games in general) over and over again and not show any signs of improvement.

On another note, thanks again SAGCCX team. You lot are totally amazing and I really wish there was some way we could support you. In lieu of that, I pre-ordered the Discotek DVD from Amazon. Even though it's the incorrect region disc, on a format I stopped caring about years ago and is costing me $73 of my countries funny money to get shipped here. :v:

I really hope it sells well and there is a chance more episodes get an official English release.

e: That wedding video is weird and creepy.

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 19, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Arino's wedding.

This is so loving weird.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Welp, that certainly was a thing.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Is that a thing on Japanese TV?

A five minute movie full of romance and drama when some minor celebrity gets married?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The purse dropping was fantastic. :neckbeard:

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Bad J-Drama's are actually real life documentaries.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Thanks for the wedding video, I think it's pretty funny to see the difference between Arino's description of the "three days of Arino" and the dramatization. I couldnt help but feel like he was fighting off cracking up the whole time.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
To elaborate, this is a tiny snippet of an hour-long (two hours, if you count in the other part) MetchaIke special about Arino's actual wedding (Arino is a regular cast member on MetchaIke). They play it at the beginning before the actual reception and announce that they actually did get married. And no, this isn't a Japanese TV thing, it's just MetchaIke having some fun.

I didn't want to translate the entire thing because it's mostly speeches from his colleagues, some funny and some heartwarming, and then at the very end Arino is thrown into a ring with a wrestler where he proceeds to get clotheslined.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 19, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

I didn't want to translate the entire thing ... Arino is thrown into a ring with a wrestler where he proceeds to get clotheslined.

You're lying about one of these two things.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If zai-gani translated every weird thing Arino has ever been in then we'd never get another episode of GCCX again.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

If zai-gani translated every weird thing Arino has ever been in then we'd never get another episode of GCCX again.

This is true. I only translated the mini-documentary about Arino and his wife because it was relevant to the most recent GCCX release.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I honestly still haven't adjusted to Arino just cracking wise at whatever - it's so... western. I'm used to japanese Decorum In All Things. Maybe comedians are given more leeway in the same way ours usually are.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Shinya Arino Megathread: What do you mean by "not related to videogames"?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

zari-gani posted:

You would think...

Is he just terrible at navigating a 3D world or something? Since he's always playing 2D games it'd seem like he'd have trouble adjusting.

I've actually heard that the mainstream public in Japan can have trouble getting into 3D games, which lead to things like Super Mario Galaxy having a less than stellar reception over there whereas New Super Mario Bros was a mega MEGA hit. Any truth to that? Or did some fucker lie to me!?

Can't remember where I read that, it was on some gaming site iirc.

edit: I meant that in regards to the Ocarina of Time 2 parter. Was on the wrong page.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 19, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

victrix posted:

I honestly still haven't adjusted to Arino just cracking wise at whatever - it's so... western. I'm used to japanese Decorum In All Things. Maybe comedians are given more leeway in the same way ours usually are.

Really? Because I see it as very Japanese. It's the fine art of tsukkomi and a very important aspect of Japanese comedy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

This is true. I only translated the mini-documentary about Arino and his wife because it was relevant to the most recent GCCX release.

I wouldn't blame you for not translating the entire 2 hour special of Arino's wedding. It's just not going to have as much viewers as an new GCCX episode.

(Unless the entire second part was a full on batsu game.)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

victrix posted:

Funniest Arino moment as far as I am concerned is when he breaks his own mold a bit in the 24-hour Lemmings episode (19:40-20:00, video should start there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2yiqghI8c&t=1180s

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Funniest Arino moment as far as I am concerned is when he breaks his own mold a bit in the 24-hour Lemmings episode (19:40-20:00, video should start there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2yiqghI8c&t=1180s

That is also my favorite line. Thanks for reminding me when it actually happened.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's always hilarious when it seems like Arino is actually getting angry, like that episode where he had the pig stress toy.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

zari-gani posted:

Really? Because I see it as very Japanese. It's the fine art of tsukkomi and a very important aspect of Japanese comedy.

oh....oh no.... I'm the boke. It's me. :ohdear:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

To elaborate, this is a tiny snippet of an hour-long (two hours, if you count in the other part) MetchaIke special about Arino's actual wedding (Arino is a regular cast member on MetchaIke). They play it at the beginning before the actual reception and announce that they actually did get married. And no, this isn't a Japanese TV thing, it's just MetchaIke having some fun.

I didn't want to translate the entire thing because it's mostly speeches from his colleagues, some funny and some heartwarming, and then at the very end Arino is thrown into a ring with a wrestler where he proceeds to get clotheslined.

Does anyone know where I can get the raw to this video?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cat doter posted:

I've actually heard that the mainstream public in Japan can have trouble getting into 3D games, which lead to things like Super Mario Galaxy having a less than stellar reception over there whereas New Super Mario Bros was a mega MEGA hit. Any truth to that? Or did some fucker lie to me!?

Actually this is true in the US as well. The Mario Galaxy games did pretty well. New Super Mario Brothers Wii, on the other hand, sold enough copies to stretch from the earth to the moon if you laid them from end to end.

(Not really but it was a monster hit).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Isn't this pretty much a tautology by now? 3D games are harder than 2D games, they have literally 50% more dimensions to orient your character in. 3D games aren't rocket science to 2D gaming's finger-painting or anything, but they are definitely harder and require far more complicated control schemes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I actually think the 3d mario games are on the higher end of the difficulty spectrum period. Zelda games too, to a lesser extent.

Camera manipulation is _not_ a friendly or natural skill to learn with a pair of analog sticks for a new player. And that's ignoring manipulating it while dealing with crazy bullshit platforming that would be hard in 2d already.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Did you catch the wrestler's name?

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Bocc Kob posted:

My bet is either Hard Gay or Chono, but maybe, just maybe, he rubbed a magic lamp and Muda came out.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

He's not an actual wrestler but one of the directors of Shochiku Geinou talent agency. He used to wrestle when he was in school (much like Inoue). Him wrestling Arino is a running joke in MetchaIke I think.

I actually just learned how to make animated gifs from video files so I made this:

Arino being manhandled on his wedding day

And a couple of GCCX ones:

I AM TOJIMA

How are they watching this?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

He's not an actual wrestler but one of the directors of Shochiku Geinou talent agency. He used to wrestle when he was in school (much like Inoue). Him wrestling Arino is a running joke in MetchaIke I think.

I actually just learned how to make animated gifs from video files so I made this:

Arino being manhandled on his wedding day

Holy crap, the landing on that elbow drop could have paralyzed him. :stonk:

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings
I must have watched every episode you guys have translated and I'd like to give a heartfelt thanks for your hard work. Seriously, you all are doing an excellent job and this show brightens my day whenever a new one is posted.

How is the Dragon Ball episode? Arino seems like a huge Dragon Ball nerd and that game is both awful and hard as balls so I would think that episode would be a real winner.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

cat doter posted:

Is he just terrible at navigating a 3D world or something? Since he's always playing 2D games it'd seem like he'd have trouble adjusting.

Can't remember where I read that, it was on some gaming site iirc.

edit: I meant that in regards to the Ocarina of Time 2 parter. Was on the wrong page.

For me at least it has more to do with how much of the game he doesn't play. The AD clears 3 (4 if you count the Bottom of the Well) dungeons for him due to time restraints. These are all as adult Link. It's otherwise an okay challenge if a bit dull at times thanks in no small part to the dungeons he does tackle (Water and Shadow Temple).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Skeeter Green posted:

How is the Dragon Ball episode? Arino seems like a huge Dragon Ball nerd and that game is both awful and hard as balls so I would think that episode would be a real winner.

I found it underwhelming but who knows, you might like it once it's inevitably translated.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Shady3011 posted:

For me at least it has more to do with how much of the game he doesn't play. The AD clears 3 (4 if you count the Bottom of the Well) dungeons for him due to time restraints. These are all as adult Link. It's otherwise an okay challenge if a bit dull at times thanks in no small part to the dungeons he does tackle (Water and Shadow Temple).

Suddenly it makes sense as to why this is reportedly one of the worst challenges. That's hugely disappointing :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skeeter Green posted:

As the counter point I kind of liked it. Not my favorite but I generally like it when Arino has to suffer through a godawful game that no human should have ever played.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I got around to watching the SMW episodes, and yeah I find it kind of frustrating to watch someone be that bad at SMW.

The whole time, half of me was cheering for him, and the other half of me was going "Jesus dude, I beat this game when I was 9 it's not that hard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I got around to watching the SMW episodes, and yeah I find it kind of frustrating to watch someone be that bad at SMW.

The whole time, half of me was cheering for him, and the other half of me was going "Jesus dude, I beat this game when I was 9 it's not that hard!"

I seem to remember going through the _whole_ game actually being pretty loving exhausting. It was a long rear end game if you did every level.