Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

To me the amazing thing, and I mentioned it in the intro to the interview, is that Satanism gets a free pass. If you say you're a Christian people mock you, but if you say you believe in Satan as a deity, it's just "BADASS DUUUUDE!!!!".

I think Mustaine got mocked more for having a lot of really lovely opinions, eg "Rick Santorum is awesome," being a racist, being a birther, and being a conspiracy theory nutter. Mustaine has always been a douche. So I'm not sure where I see being a christian as universally mocked or whatnot. At the very least that's a bad example.

As for the Satanist thing, I know I tend to think it's often just for show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Most "satanist" bands admit they don't actually think satan exists but it's the easiest way to reach most people's minds by using it as their anti-church launchpad. Most people have no idea what left hand path means at all, but they all know who satan is, so let them sort it out on their own. If the message is for you, you'll look more into what's going on. But if you're someone put off by the mere mention of satanism that's a pretty good "need not apply" sign.

Satan-as-deity idiots are every bit as laughable as christian idiots, like our pal mustaine.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I went to Nokturnal Mortum and Temnozor shows and I regret nothing :colbert: Nokturnal Mortum had a really unpleasant crowd though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

IRQ posted:

I think Mustaine got mocked more for having a lot of really lovely opinions, eg "Rick Santorum is awesome," being a racist, being a birther, and being a conspiracy theory nutter. Mustaine has always been a douche.

Yeah, he's pretty much getting his rear end mocked for being his own individual idiotic self. I don't see a lot of people getting on Tom Araya's case for being a Catholic, for example; this may be because he's not an obnoxious rear end in a top hat about it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Groke posted:

Yeah, he's pretty much getting his rear end mocked for being his own individual idiotic self. I don't see a lot of people getting on Tom Araya's case for being a Catholic, for example; this may be because he's not an obnoxious rear end in a top hat about it.

True, but
a. IT's easier to be a satanic metalhead than a christian metalhead.
b. Watain is to Satanism what Mustaine tries to be for CHristianity

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IRQ posted:

Yeah, gently caress anyone who legitimately believes that kind of thing, but there's really nobody living in the first world that doesn't contribute money to really, really bad people. Some shitbird black metal frontman has astronomically less ability to harm anyone than Coke, FoxConn, or Monsanto, to name a few most of us will probably patronize today.

Not that I'm saying go give Watain money either, I'm sure not. Frankly it's more amusing that people get SUPER SERIOUS about black metal like that.
Yeah, but there's another way to look at it. While I hypothetically could avoid giving money to any sort of giant megacorporation, it would be difficult to the point that I'm not certain I'd be able to buy much of anything. On the other hand, I sure as hell can avoid giving my money to the kind of assholes that would openly call me a race traitor. That's much more practical.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

To me the amazing thing, and I mentioned it in the intro to the interview, is that Satanism gets a free pass. If you say you're a Christian people mock you, but if you say you believe in Satan as a deity, it's just "BADASS DUUUUDE!!!!".

It's the same kind of delusion, with the addition, in the case of Watain, that it seems to be a violent and dangerous ideology with no bright side.

On a side note, I'm currently arranging for an interview with Selim, from the Devil's Blood. I want to do something similar to what I did with Erik.
Well usually when people say they are satanic it doesn't have anything to do with acknowledging the existence of the judeo-christian god/satan and all that so much as just doing the opposite of what Christianity tells you to do by being hedonistic and selfish, never turning the other cheek, bowing to no one and whatnot. The whole religious aspect of black metal is pretty silly to begin with if you ask me but identifying as satanic in this scene doesn't imply the acknowledgement of supernatural forces any more than it precludes layering some silly neo-pagan quackery on top.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
"Satanism is Atheism with a very dark sense of humor." - Jason Mendoca

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

To Battle posted:

"Satanism is Atheism with a very dark sense of humor." - Jason Mendoca

I think that, for the most part, Satanism is used a prop, which is why I'm always amazed when I met theistic satanists.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I've been going through my old Darkthrone albums a lot this week and I had forgotten how great some of the under-appreciated tracks are. Like The Claws of Time. That fuckin' riff, man. :aaa:

What under-appreciated goodies do you guys love?

Morbid Florist posted:

Taking a break from idiots in metal bands for a moment, fans of Darkspace will probably like this not-new side project one of them has called Sun Of The Blind. Still very black metal but not the chaos of Darkspace. It's a slower, kind of ambient version of Darkspace's sound but with a whispery growl for vocals rather than the shrieks.

There's no mistaking this came from a Darkspace member at all and I question if I'd like this kind of sound if it didn't have that touch of space vacuum cold to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u24qlJgseV4

Digging this, thanks for mentioning it. I love seeing the way things progress.

:black101: We have to be colder! Grimmer! Blacker!
:devil: But what's colder and grimmer than a Norwegian necromountainforest in December?!

:stare: SPAAAAAAACE.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rion.exe posted:

I've been going through my old Darkthrone albums a lot this week and I had forgotten how great some of the under-appreciated tracks are. Like The Claws of Time. That fuckin' riff, man. :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKxi_EvsQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwkYKasdWQ

Also, I dunno why I like these guys but I guess its just because it is very simple and honest no-frills 90s style black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RBBzT_Ljtg

Nothing fancy there.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Here is some French(?) black metal that I recently came across through the facebook page for a blog I read a fair bit called LURKER. It seems to be atmospheric/nature inspired black metal that is on the colder, grimmer end of the spectrum, as opposed to the lusher, post-rock orientated stuff. I dig it, thought some of you might dig it too.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Rion.exe posted:

There is a lot of non-Norwegian Black Metal in the mid-90s that was excellent that is overlooked because they belonged to a small scene or weren't as ground breaking as the stuff in the early 90s.

Sacramentum and Abigor come to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBaKc9FVwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeMI4cx5J0

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

MrBling posted:

Also, I dunno why I like these guys but I guess its just because it is very simple and honest no-frills 90s style black metal.

It's because generic hyperspeed 90s norsecore rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIWGbiy6QA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386Em1s8jl4

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
That Niden Div 187 album is so loving good. The only band that knew how to balance the norsecore style with a brilliant ability to write flowing Black Metal. Great job of using the aesthetic as a means to an end instead of as the end itself.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Under appreciated?

Nox Intempesta (Mors Dalos Ra is now better known for Necros Christos and Drowned)
Necromass
Nåstrond
Sacrilegium
Bifrost
Atman (not their best, but very little on youtube)
Strid
Old Wainds
War (The polish band, not the Swedes. Nothing groundbreaking, just executed really well)

I could list hundreds, but really, what's the point?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Lord Purple posted:

There is a lot of non-Norwegian Black Metal in the mid-90s that was excellent that is overlooked because they belonged to a small scene or weren't as ground breaking as the stuff in the early 90s.

Sacramentum and Abigor come to mind:

Sacramentum are easily one of my favorite black metal bands, I don't know how (most) people don't consider that album legendary

On that note could someone name me some other similar bands? The closest I got the last time I asked people was Dawn, who I do like a lot, but the riffs aren't good

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

a false posted:

Sacramentum are easily one of my favorite black metal bands, I don't know how (most) people don't consider that album legendary

On that note could someone name me some other similar bands? The closest I got the last time I asked people was Dawn, who I do like a lot, but the riffs aren't good

The obvious answer is Dissection, then there's Lord Belial, Unanimated and Vinterland. Thulcandra are shameless copycats.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Reckon I've answered that question about a million times now. Here's a reply based on sounding like Dissection (which sacramentum obviously do).

The Clit Avoider posted:

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

Decameron, Griffar too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

The obvious answer is Dissection

Speaking of Dissection, does anyone have that 2CD reissue (presumably) of The Somberlain? It's £15 off Amazon UK, worth it?

nomapple posted:

Here is some French black metal...

The album arrived in the post for me yesterday, and it's definitely on the faster "norsecore" side of things, but it has some very interesting and enjoyable riffs. It's nothing groundbreaking, but worth having I would say, particularly as this year has been a bit thin on tr00 black metal. It's still got nothing on Mgła's astonishing "With Hearts Towards None" though. By far my favourite black metal record of the year, it's been such a grower.

skasion posted:

:words: about Ash Borer

Having given Cold of Ages a lot more of my time now I am actually really digging it. It is a lot more subtle than their previous work, I suspect because the rough edges have been smoothed by better production and the addition of the keyboards. It's still cold and dark and grim though, and I think it marks a progression for the band. It's very much a record that ebbs and flows, with small ideas creeping in and out as the songs progress. Unfortunately, I think the first track is actually the weakest on the album at the moment, so maybe try skipping that and see what you think of the album? I actually don't think you'd lose much as each track on the album seems quite individual, so the "overall listening experience" may not be too damaged if you care about that sort of thing. The end of Removed Forms (the final track) is my favourite part of the album, that final crescendo totally rules.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 21, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Svartsyn have re-recorded and re-released The True Legend (minus one track) this year. I'd whole-heartedly recommend it. Riff driven black metal that melds the melodic elements of the swedish scene with punky, lo-fi aggression. And now you don't even need to strain to hear the riffs!

Speaking of possibilities for album of the year...

The new Elysian Blaze album is utterly stunning, a long, drawn out epic funeral doom/black metal album.

The new Royal Arch Blaspheme is exactly like the first one. Which is great news. Fans of profanatica, havohej etc, get it.

If you want blood and dirt - here's Mongrel's Cross and Begrime Exemious. And of course, loving Pseudogod.

And why not listen to some Dawnbringer?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
That's good to hear about the new Ash Borer since I wasn't too hot on the preview track. I'm bummed that Pesanta Urfolk is doing the vinyl though since that label takes foreeeeeever to release things (the new Velnias was supposed to be out two months ago and counting).

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

nomapple posted:

Speaking of Dissection, does anyone have that 2CD reissue (presumably) of The Somberlain? It's £15 off Amazon UK, worth it?

This is all I know about it, and it doesn't make me want to run out for it.
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Dissection_-_The_Somberlain_-2CD_Reissue-/22008

I'd have to think any demos Jon would have made would sound loving horrible and frankly I don't care about how he got the songs to masterpiece level, just that he did. And the live things have GOT to be trumped by the Rebirth Of Dissection DVD so I'm at the "why bother" point there too.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
The new Gospel of the Horns EP is pretty good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Svartsyn have re-recorded and re-released The True Legend (minus one track) this year. I'd whole-heartedly recommend it. Riff driven black metal that melds the melodic elements of the swedish scene with punky, lo-fi aggression. And now you don't even need to strain to hear the riffs!

Just listened to this sample on youtube and it is sounding fantastic, so thanks for the recommendation, I will probably pick this up.

Morbid Florist posted:

This is all I know about it, and it doesn't make me want to run out for it.
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Dissection_-_The_Somberlain_-2CD_Reissue-/22008

I'd have to think any demos Jon would have made would sound loving horrible and frankly I don't care about how he got the songs to masterpiece level, just that he did. And the live things have GOT to be trumped by the Rebirth Of Dissection DVD so I'm at the "why bother" point there too.

Thanks, I don't own any versions of The Somberlain at the moment so I will look for a regular version. Also the price just got jacked back up to £17 on Amazon, so I really can't be asked.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
According to metal-archives, Gorgoroth has a new vocalist.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Funeral Mist posted:

According to metal-archives, Gorgoroth has a new vocalist.

According to Gorgoroth, they have a new vocalist...

"Out of respect for and loyalty to GORGOROTH's audience and collaborators, Infernus [guitar] has kicked Pest [vocals] out of the band, effective immediately. This after Pest informed the band that he would not be prioritizing doing the upcoming Latin American tour after all, just two weeks before the band was set to depart for Brazil.

"Infernus has decided that the tour will go on as planned, though, and Hoest of TAAKE will replace Pest as vocalist on the tour starting on September 7th.

"As for the next GORGOROTH studio album, 'Instinctus Bestalis', vocal duties will be handled by a Serbian Satanist known as Atterigner, of the band TRIUMFALL (Forces of Satan Records)."

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

According to Gorgoroth, they have a new vocalist...

"Out of respect for and loyalty to GORGOROTH's audience and collaborators, Infernus [guitar] has kicked Pest [vocals] out of the band, effective immediately. This after Pest informed the band that he would not be prioritizing doing the upcoming Latin American tour after all, just two weeks before the band was set to depart for Brazil.

"Infernus has decided that the tour will go on as planned, though, and Hoest of TAAKE will replace Pest as vocalist on the tour starting on September 7th.

"As for the next GORGOROTH studio album, 'Instinctus Bestalis', vocal duties will be handled by a Serbian Satanist known as Atterigner, of the band TRIUMFALL (Forces of Satan Records)."

Woah, I would love to see Gorgoroth with Hoest on vocals, he's a great frontman, and should bring some energy to their shows.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Until they hire someone who can write I doubt they'll do an album worth a poo poo though.

King, if not Gaahl too, clearly had a big hand in writing the albums while he was there. The last album blew goats.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Yeah I think the live tracks that come from this tour will be sweet, but I'm not holding my breath for another Incipit or Twilight.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

Yeah I think the live tracks that come from this tour will be sweet, but I'm not holding my breath for another Incipit or Twilight.

Agreed. I still like Quantos though. Under the sign of hell 2011 was pointless as poo poo though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Not Very Metal posted:

Gorgoroth without Gaahl and King is barely loving Gorgoroth as it is. Even if they won the legal right to use the name.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of Gaahl and King, apparently God Seed is finally putting out this album they've been talking about for 3 years. I wish they had the lineup they had for the Live at Wacken DVD. I really like Ice Dale's guitar work.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

I wish they had the lineup they had for the Live at Wacken DVD. I really like Ice Dale's guitar work.

I've still never seen this. Is it worth seeking out or just a rehash of the '04 Black Mass Krakow performance?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I've never seen it either. I think I saw it in the racks at one point and the tracklist strikes me as being all gorgoroth songs I already have on Black Mass.

Infernus may be a colossal douche but kvitrafn is an awesome drummer so I feel like Black Mass had the best lineup possible for those songs.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Speaking of socially inept black metal artists, has any one else happened upon Niklas Kvarforth's teaser for Shining's next album? It's gonna be called, Redefining Darkness and comes out in time for Halloween on Spinefarm.

It's extremely :nws: for blood drinking nudity (w/ artificial vagina and penis) and all kinds of bat poo poo craziness. Didn't I also read recently that he was looking into releasing an album of Christmas songs?

http://youtu.be/ugE9YF3Vg6c :catdrugs:

Edit: I can't :nws: or :nms: this enough.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 23, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I've wanted a black metal christmas album for years. Not new songs, the traditional ones played grimly and the lyrics changed JUUUST enough.

I'm dreaming of an endless night white christmas
Christians roasting on an open fire
Rudolph the Bloodbath Reindeer
Frostbite the hellbound snowman

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

I've wanted a black metal christmas album for years. Not new songs, the traditional ones played grimly and the lyrics changed JUUUST enough.

I'm dreaming of an endless night white christmas
Christians roasting on an open fire
Rudolph the Bloodbath Reindeer
Frostbite the hellbound snowman

This sounds amazing.

Little Blastbeat Boy
Hvis Navidad Tar Oss
Slay Ride (to the eternal fields of carnage)
I saw Mommy Sacrificing a Live Goat to Satan Claus

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Speaking of socially inept black metal artists, has any one else happened upon Niklas Kvarforth's teaser for Shining's next album? It's gonna be called, Redefining Darkness and comes out in time for Halloween on Spinefarm.

It's extremely :nws: for blood drinking nudity (w/ artificial vagina and penis) and all kinds of bat poo poo craziness. Didn't I also read recently that he was looking into releasing an album of Christmas songs?

http://youtu.be/ugE9YF3Vg6c :catdrugs:

Edit: I can't :nws: or :nms: this enough.

I thought I read somewhere that he wanted acceptance from the mainstream...

Must've changed his mind.

That really was loving creepy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

nomapple posted:

I thought I read somewhere that he wanted acceptance from the mainstream...

Must've changed his mind.

That really was loving creepy though.

"on the 29th of october every single one of you will learn the true meaning of a band selling out"

He was listening to a carol sung by this guy btw:

If that isn't selling out, I don't know what is!