Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So, big RE6 news out of Gamescom:

- You can sign up for a free account at residentevil.net to track your progress and participate in a bunch of online challenges. The rewards include extra costumes for Mercenaries, one of which appears to be Leon in a Napoleon hat and as such I am immediately interested.

The video describing the features makes it sound a lot more like Left 4 Dead 2's online functionality than, say, Ubisoft's shenanigans. It's a smart call.

- Big slices of new gameplay from Games.com, including Jake and Sherry outrunning an avalanche in snowmobiles. Jake's game is starting to really remind me of Uncharted.

- Sherry has a healing factor because the G-Virus is still in her system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think I hosed up Code Veronica twice, got to the plane fight without enough ammo and then second time through I took some good stuff to fight Nosferatu, I'd missed the assault rifle in the arctic and probably hosed up getting the magnum as well so Chris had no good weapons at all. That game had some real bullshit aspects.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 14, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

thebardyspoon posted:

I think I hosed up Code Veronica twice, got to the plane fight without enough ammo and then second time through I took some good stuff to fight Nosferatu, I'd missed the assault rifle in the arctic and probably hosed up getting the magnum as well so Chris had no good weapons at all. That game had some real bullshit aspects.

The Assault Rifle kind of sucks, and the magnum isn't really necessary. I think I only ever used the magnum on Alexia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

- Sherry has a healing factor because the G-Virus is still in her system.

She and Jill clearly need to team up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had some spare time last week and updated the big RE plot document I wrote when I was in college. I'd been meaning to take another look at it for a while now, since it's actually been quite professionally helpful to me from time to time, but I'd never had the inclination.

If you'd like to look at the new version, it's up at
http://sites.google.com/site/stolisomancy/replot/replot.txt

Feel free to spread the link around. I've tried to update the version on GameFAQs a couple of times now but it hasn't really worked out; my account's from two major backend revisions ago so they don't want to believe it's actually me.

thebardyspoon posted:

The thing about Chris's game is that you can go through about 90% of it with the shotgun and handgun. Off the top of my head, he doesn't run into a mandatory boss fight until Alexia, since the giant spider fight can be skipped very easily.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I need the Umbrella umbrella. Does the Capcom store do release day delivery? :/

Also, I'd get Archives for 360 if it had all the games. With just 4, CV, and 5 it's hardly worth $90.

Edit: egad $8 for shipping?!

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 15, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Matt Cruea posted:

I need the Umbrella umbrella. Does the Capcom store do release day delivery? :/

Also, I'd get Archives for 360 if it had all the games. With just 4, CV, and 5 it's hardly worth $90.

Edit: egad $8 for shipping?!

Yup, it's why I went with Amazon in the beginning. They'll get it to me release day for free, and I'm not paying shipping/taxes for a tiny dlc pack or an umbrella that I wouldn't use that much anyway)

And yeah, It's PS3 or bust. I do wish the games were on the disc or something.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Mogomra posted:

I always blow through my ammo on the way to the plane because there are so many of those stretchy armed bastards around. What were they called? Bandersnatches?

Oh I think at that stage I just ran past them. The main ammo dump I had just before the plane boss fight is when you met that boss in the corridor outside the mansion before hand. I died like 10 times before I decided it was time to use some of those explosive arrows I had been saving up.

The game is evil in that explosive arrows fire instantly but if you don't wait between shots it will hit the monster in it's invincible frame and waste the arrow (and you don't get alot of them)

I also didn't get the AK, as I didn't have enough room when I first came across it then triggered the explosion before collecting it. Even without you get quite a few weapons to use.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why do people hate RE0? I picked it up at a flea market a while back and plan on playing it. I don't really care about the story in RE that much (to me its cheesy, but its meant to be that way to be entertaining and keep you interested as you play) I'm just hoping its on par with REmake as far as atmosphere, old school RE gameplay, and good looking pre-rendered back grounds.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AASman posted:

Why do people hate RE0? I picked it up at a flea market a while back and plan on playing it. I don't really care about the story in RE that much (to me its cheesy, but its meant to be that way to be entertaining and keep you interested as you play) I'm just hoping its on par with REmake as far as atmosphere, old school RE gameplay, and good looking pre-rendered back grounds.

The story is ridiculous even by RE standards, and the bullshit single player co-op mechanics are...well, bullshit. That being said, I actually don't hate it, myself, and would say it's for sure worth playing at least once.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

AASman posted:

The inventory system is a pain in the rear end. Each character can carry 6 items giving you a total of 12 slots at any given time. This wouldn't be so bad, but there are several weapons in the game that take up 2 slots. There are no item boxes, so anything you drop, you need to backtrack for. You could leave stuff in a centralized location, but it still isn't as convenient as the item boxes. Combine this with the fact that there is a required item that takes up 2 spaces that you will need at least twice in the game if not more and you have a annoying as hell experience.

I guess the game isn't terrible. But it simply feels so uninspired. Most of your enemies are mutated insects and animals like scorpions and monkeys. I guess it would be ok to play if you were starving for Resident Evil games, but there are much better Resident Evil games out there that are more involving than Resident Evil Zero.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AASman posted:

It's not bad, but it's awful coming off of REmake because:

1) The new enemy designs and the way they're fought is extremely tedious and repetive, even by RE standards.
2) Instead of having item chests, you can drop items anywhere, which means tons of backtracking. The worst offender is a grappling gun. It's used twice in the entire game but takes up two inventory slots and the uses are several hours apart.

The game isn't terrible, especially compared to the glut of mediocre to poor RE ripoffs that were coming out on the PSX/PC/Dreamcast. Just don't expect the second coming of REmake.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The hoookshit thing was the worse, a completely useless piece of crap that has no other uses, one would think you're done with it after the first time but nope, 2 more times, hope you kept up with bringing it.

And yea the inventory was just retarded, nade launcher and shotgun take up 2 slots, ammo 1 slot obviously, so if you wanted to take a pistol, ammo, the shotty and ammo that's 5 slots out of 6 taken, the A.I was also pretty stupid. The way damage worked was all over the place to, Rebecca would get sneezed on by a zombie and she's down to danger status, Billy would get munched by 2 zombies and slapped around by a hunter and he'd still be in fine status.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

AASman posted:

good looking pre-rendered back grounds.
Definitely has these.

Also I thought the partner/character-switching stuff at least made it slightly different from the usual RE formula, but definitely came too late to matter.

As people said though, it's pretty dumb, questionably designed and probably not worth the time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The big problem with Zero is the fact that it's so loving dull. Once you get off the train, the game just goes "WELP" and you're stuck in another secret Umbrella mansion in the woods that no one ever noticed. And once you get past that, you just revisit areas from RE2 for no reason, and proceed to do nothing in them. It also doesn't help that the primary antagonist is simultaneously too stupid for Resident Evil and a rehash of ol' Willie Birkin. Also, the final fight is just Final Nemesis again, except you use something much less awesome than a giant railgun.

The only memorable parts of RE0 are Wesker and Birkin chillin' out in their NO GIRLS ALLOWED club house and Billy "loving" Coen punching a zombie baboon right in the goddamn face.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RE0 would have been awesome if once the train crashed, you spent most of the rest of the game wandering the forest at night getting chased by T-Virus animals.

Pre-renderd backgrounds, trees, and monsters just don't mix very well I guess.

Even the part in ReMake with the trek through the woods to Lisa's cabin was suspiciously devoid of enemies

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crowetron posted:

The only memorable parts of RE0 are Wesker and Birkin chillin' out in their NO GIRLS ALLOWED club house and Billy "loving" Coen punching a zombie baboon right in the goddamn face.

It's the unintentionally funny poo poo that I love about Zero. I just laugh my rear end off thinking that it's like Friday night and Wesker and Birkin have nothing better to do with their time than hang out in front of a small TV screen. Also Billy totally suplexes that baboon off a drat platform. AWESOME!

edit: haha apparently i still share this sentiment. Silly saturday nights with the two loneliest Umbrella employees

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Policenaut posted:

It's the unintentionally funny poo poo that I love about Zero. I just laugh my rear end off thinking that it's like Friday night and Wesker and Birkin have nothing better to do with their time than hang out in front of a small TV screen. Also Billy totally suplexes that baboon off a drat platform. AWESOME!

edit: haha apparently i still share this sentiment. Silly saturday nights with the two loneliest Umbrella employees

It's that whole "sitting around and flipping channels" thing. Except all of the channels are security video feeds from Umbrella's various laboratories. They paid for cable so they get all 12,000 of them, plus a DVR feature for all the monster escapes/viral outbreaks/miscellaneous experiments gone wrong that happen when they're not around.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Zero would be my favorite game in the series if it was just Al and Willie watchin' various Umbrella baddies doin' various Umbrella schemes and laughing about it. Like they watch the dude from Dead Aim turn himself into a electric titty monster and are all like "Haha, what? We'd never do anything that crazy!"

And then Birkin's like "Hey, would it be weird if I tried to implant my 10 year old daughter with a monster baby?" and Wesker just sighs.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey, I've been watching some RE4 gameplay videos, and while the last time I tried a friend's copy I got my poo poo ruined*, it looks like stupid fun once you get the hang of it and I sort of want to give it a try. The only console I have is a PS3, I also have a PC but I heard the port was pretty half assed. Is the version you can buy via the PlayStation Store the same as the old PS2 release or does it have any additional stuff thrown in from later editions?

*I think what she did was load up a Mercenaries level at the hardest difficulty and I didn't get a chance to protest...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Anyone got a good walkthrough for Code Veronica? I always have trouble with it and I'd like to go through it the "right way" this time. I started watching a video walkthrough on youtube but it became clear right away the dude sucked as he didn't use the knife on zombies at the opening and got bit to all hell almost every time he would encounter anything. I know there is a certain way to do things to maximize your playthrough and I'm just wondering if anyone has something handy to guide me?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

Anyone got a good walkthrough for Code Veronica? I always have trouble with it and I'd like to go through it the "right way" this time. I started watching a video walkthrough on youtube but it became clear right away the dude sucked as he didn't use the knife on zombies at the opening and got bit to all hell almost every time he would encounter anything. I know there is a certain way to do things to maximize your playthrough and I'm just wondering if anyone has something handy to guide me?

I always preferred CVXFreak's walkthrough on the game since I didn't think it was too long winded. What exactly were you looking for help with?

-Equip the lighter when around bats.
-I usually only use explosive bolts for bandersnatches
-Regular arrows are pretty terrible, but there are shitloads of them and they aren't awful for lone zombies.
-Save the BOW gas rounds for the airplane fight against the Tyrant. They make the battle pretty much a non-issue, and it is easily the hardest fight in the game.
-I usually saved the shotgun for the hunters and bandersnatches.
-If you play right, you will have so much handgun ammo that you can pretty much kill all the zombies for the rest of the game.
-I usually give Claire the Bowgun when you rescue her. You will need a weapon for some tentacles. Also, make sure she has at least 2 or 3 full healing items for this part of the game.
-Before you put the valve into a slot in Antartica, make sure to dump everything other than the Sniper Rifle and maybe a extra weapon (Like the Bowgun with explosive bolts) into a box.
-The Bowgun is useful if only because you can load as many arrows as you can into it and they all fit.
-I think I usually knife all the zombies until I get to the private residence section, but you can stop long before then because there is shitloads of ammo.
-Don't bother fighting the Mature albinoid, it's a waste of ammo.
-Don't let Alexia touch you because it is a instant kill.
-Chris gets a free upgrade to his handgun if you bring it to a work desk. I don't know what it exactly does, but I always felt Claire's handgun was still better.
-Give the lighter to Rodrigo, it will give you access to some other weapons later. Plus, Rodrigo is a cool guy :colbert:
-You will find another 50% for the AK later in the game.
-Don't bother fighting the worm as Claire.

It really is a easy game, don't be afraid of using ammo, because I usually have poo poo tons left over by the end anyways.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I always preferred CVXFreak's walkthrough on the game since I didn't think it was too long winded. What exactly were you looking for help with?

It really is a easy game, don't be afraid of using ammo, because I usually have poo poo tons left over by the end anyways.

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for I guess. I just felt like I was doing things out of order or not doing some things that put me in a worse spot later. The tips about what not to fight and the Tyrant on the plane tip should help a lot. I always felt like I was low on ammo the last time I played it, so maybe using the knife like I should have been will help with that.

Teen Hero Greg posted:

Hey, I've been watching some RE4 gameplay videos

Is the version you can buy via the PlayStation Store the same as the old PS2 release or does it have any additional stuff thrown in from later editions?

This has been the big question for me. I have a WII but I would much rather play with a traditional controller and HD. Is RE4 on the PS3 THAT BAD or are people grossly exaggerating? As long as I prefer traditional controller is the PS3 store RE4 just fine?

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Code Veronica's unique among the "classic" RE games in that there's a really huge difference between someone who's never played the game before and someone on their third or fourth run. It's really easy to have a ton of ammo and health in reserve if you know what you're doing and exactly what to use and when.

blackguy32 posted:

-Chris gets a free upgrade to his handgun if you bring it to a work desk. I don't know what it exactly does, but I always felt Claire's handgun was still better.

The modified Glock penetrates its first target, which makes it really good if there are a couple of zombies stacked together. It still loses out to the burst handgun.

blackguy32 posted:

-Give the lighter to Rodrigo, it will give you access to some other weapons later. Plus, Rodrigo is a cool guy :colbert:

You can find a jar of hemostatic medicine at one point. I want to say it's in a bathroom. If you bring it back to Rodrigo, you can trade him your lighter for another useful item, and by that point Claire will never need it again.

Its primary use in her game is keeping bats off of you, which is useful in maybe two rooms total.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 19, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for I guess. I just felt like I was doing things out of order or not doing some things that put me in a worse spot later. The tips about what not to fight and the Tyrant on the plane tip should help a lot. I always felt like I was low on ammo the last time I played it, so maybe using the knife like I should have been will help with that.

You can get low on ammo if you try to kill everything, because there are a lot of zombies in the game especially in places that you will never go back to again.

Also, if you are going to use the Shotgun on zombies, aim up while close to one shot them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

The biggest thing, which was mentioned a couple of pages ago, has to do with the fire extinguisher. Be sure to take the empty fire extinguisher along with you and ditch it in an item box. You can use it much later in the game to solve an optional puzzle.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

This has been the big question for me. I have a WII but I would much rather play with a traditional controller and HD. Is RE4 on the PS3 THAT BAD or are people grossly exaggerating? As long as I prefer traditional controller is the PS3 store RE4 just fine?

Who said RE4 on the PS3 was bad? It's plays and looks great and comes with both the Ada DLC assignments. If you don't want to use the wii remote pick it up on the PSN store.

Wanderer posted:

The biggest thing, which was mentioned a couple of pages ago, has to do with the fire extinguisher. Be sure to take the empty fire extinguisher along with you and ditch it in an item box. You can use it much later in the game to solve an optional puzzle.
As someone who missed this and left it in the room with the item detector how do you take the fire extinguisher back? Doesn't the metal detector stop you?

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SolidRed posted:

Who said RE4 on the PS3 was bad? It's plays and looks great and comes with both the Ada DLC assignments. If you don't want to use the wii remote pick it up on the PSN store.

Reviews seemed to have this consensus when it came out on PSN, and people I know say the same. The sticking point always seems to be on the controls. I have played RE4 on the Wii and I would still prefer to use the controller so I guess I'm different from what most people prefer. That's the impression I am getting anyways.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RE4 on PS3/360 isn't really bad, just kind of disappointing. People were expecting a much larger, more full scaled HD remastering like the God of War games or the Team Ico collection but instead it was something a lot smaller. They updated the controls a little, but they still kept aiming on the left stick and the PS3 version didn't have Move support.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

ApexAftermath posted:

Reviews seemed to have this consensus when it came out on PSN, and people I know say the same. The sticking point always seems to be on the controls. I have played RE4 on the Wii and I would still prefer to use the controller so I guess I'm different from what most people prefer. That's the impression I am getting anyways.

You can plug in a Gamecube controller and play the Wii version that way. Considering it was originally a Gamecube game, the controls are a wee bit better than the Playstation.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So does the Wii version look identical to the PS3? Assume I have a Wii hooked up component with progressive scan. Will the PS3 still blow it away even though it's not as amazing as people had hoped?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

ApexAftermath posted:

So does the Wii version look identical to the PS3? Assume I have a Wii hooked up component with progressive scan. Will the PS3 still blow it away even though it's not as amazing as people had hoped?

The "HD Remaster" means they upped the resolution (but didn't touch the actual textures so it looks like poo poo) and added crappy achievements nobody cares about and stuck a price tag on it for a quick buck. The Wii version looks perfectly fine and has the exact same content.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008

Policenaut posted:

RE4 on PS3/360 isn't really bad, just kind of disappointing. People were expecting a much larger, more full scaled HD remastering like the God of War games or the Team Ico collection but instead it was something a lot smaller. They updated the controls a little, but they still kept aiming on the left stick and the PS3 version didn't have Move support.

It was a lazy port but it works fine. My only complaint with it at the time (which I got over) was that while it gave you two different control option types they didn't bother remapping one of the controller settings to have the same controls as RE5. The second option was closer but would it have killed them to add a third option so that both games in the series play the same.

I would go with whatever option is cheaper/easier. I got the PS3 version which meant I also purchased RE:CV which was great, it meant I got to play one of the best resident evil games that I would have otherwise overlooked.

The Dark Id posted:

The "HD Remaster" means they upped the resolution (but didn't touch the actual textures so it looks like poo poo) and added crappy achievements nobody cares about and stuck a price tag on it for a quick buck. The Wii version looks perfectly fine and has the exact same content.

I think it looks alot better but that could be when I originally saw it played on the gamecube it was on a much smaller TV compared to the large TV i have now for my PS3. I don't think it matters which one you pick they are both very similar but while the port was fairly lazy don't fool yourself into thinking the PS3 version doesn't look better than the wii version. While I was playing the HD remake I couldn't tell at all that this was a previous gen game.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 20, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SolidRed posted:

As someone who missed this and left it in the room with the item detector how do you take the fire extinguisher back? Doesn't the metal detector stop you?

Put it in the first box, go through the metal detector, do what you have to do past the security checkpoint, then leave everything else in the room except the emblem you need and take the fire extinguisher from the security box on your way out the door.

Later in the game, you can reenter that room from another door past the security gate and grab the rest of what's in there, such as the gas rounds.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

I wouldn't say it looks fine. I mean it looks like any other Wii game looks on an HDTV, like poo poo, but some people don't care about that.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
There seems to have been some lengthy RE6 preview sent out to the gaming press, cause IGN have put up some (slightly spoilery) videos from each of the three main chapters.

Chris, Leon and Jake.

Also the game is released 5 weeks tomorrow.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually feel like RE4 is one of the best Wiimote games I've ever played. I've played through the game on GC, PS2, and Wii and I think the Wii version is above and beyond my favorite, just for how it feels.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Resident Evil is known for its cheesy story, but can we all agree that the way the story and characters are handled in REmake is really well done? It seems like the only RE game that plays it straight and pulls it off really really well. It's also genuinely scary and points. gently caress Pyramid Head, I'll take Lisa Trevor's depressing tormented existence any day.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anyone on 360 up for a co-op RE5 run on Professional? I need that and some monies to get 100% of the achievements. My GT is TvsWanderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AASman posted:

Resident Evil is known for its cheesy story, but can we all agree that the way the story and characters are handled in REmake is really well done? It seems like the only RE game that plays it straight and pulls it off really really well. It's also genuinely scary and points. gently caress Pyramid Head, I'll take Lisa Trevor's depressing tormented existence any day.

REmake is a goddamn masterpiece, its both an amazing game and such a well done remake that it makes the original completely irrelevant in every single way, I just can't get into the new direction of resident evil thanks to just how amazing Remake it, its honestly hard to believe it came from Capcom seeing how they are now.